Rangers & Celtic chiefs shared secret emails over move to England in 2011- Scottish Sun

NDC bear forever

RIVALS' SECRET EMAILS Celtic & Rangers chiefs hatched plan to quit Scottish football and join English league in 2011

EXCLUSIVE

By Douglas Walker

19th January 2020, 10:23 pm

ADD COMMENT

OLD Firm bosses planned to quit Scottish football and apply to join the English league, we can reveal.

A confidential dossier outlining their strategy was shared in secret emails sent by Celtic chief Peter Lawwell to then Rangers supremo Martin Bain.
REUTERS

The clubs were in talks over their impact on EPL in 2011

It claimed they’d have a “massive impact” on the Premier League down south — and insisted their departure would also boost the Scots game by making it “more competitive”.

The paperwork was sent from Lawwell’s assistant Eleanor O’Neill to Bain’s PA Louise Barrie in 2011.
The document’s first section was titled: “What would the Old Firm bring to English football?”
Celtic and Rangers hailed by Uefa over bumper attendances and social engagement

It said “the addition of two more “giant” teams” would have “an exponential impact” on the number of big games available to be shown on TV worldwide.

The proposal added: “In a media environment craving additional quantity and quality of games, the introduction of Celtic and Rangers into the FA Premier League would have a massive impact on the ability to meet that demand.”

The executives said their travelling supporters would bring “a welcome revenue boost for many clubs”.

They claimed: “The two teams also benefit from a global following similar to that enjoyed by only a few teams in England such as Manchester United and Liverpool.

Driven by Scottish and (in the case of Celtic in particular) Irish migration, the USA, Canada and Australia provide large, wealthy and committed fan base

The document went on to explain how removing the “hugely dominant” Hoops and Gers would allow “a new competitive mantra to take hold” north of the border.

It stated: “Teams like Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and others would have the chance of competing for a title and of being crowned Champions — and a place in the UEFA Champions League.

“Increasing true competition is the best way to breathe fresh life into a league structure which is currently wed to a failing business model.

“Cities outside Glasgow would, for the first time in generations in some cases, have the chance of tasting success. The long-term financial model would be more sustainable.”

It added: “There remains the potential for the Old Firm to continue to play in the Scottish Cup.

Finally, the dossier told how kids would be “inspired” by seeing some of the world’s biggest stars playing in Glasgow week in, week out.

It added: “A new playing environment for Celtic and Rangers would be good for Glasgow and Scotland.”

Lawwell and Bain were to discuss UK football’s “long-term structure” in London with Ralph Topping and Neil Doncaster, then chair and chief exec of the Scottish Premier League.

But the November 2011 meeting never took place as Rangers plunged into financial crisis.

Celtic and Rangers were approached for comment.

douglas.walker@the-sun.co.uk

Would be amazing to get the chance to play in the English leagues. Don’t think a lot of clubs would like celtics Ira loving away fans spouting their shite in towns and cities all over England though

Not surprised it has been discussed at that level by the clubs.

It’s never going to happen due to the fact you need to convince the SFA, the FA and UEFA.

It wouldn’t be the same. Rangers are scotlands premier club and always will be. Joining the English leagues I’m not sure certain supporters would have the same enthusiasm for the club. 150years as scotlands premier club, here’s to another 150

English football no longer needs us in the slightest.

In the 90s, when the money wasn't all that different maybe there could've been chance. It'll never happen now, why would any club want us to come in and jeopardise their £150m?

If it was to have happened it would have been in the late 90's/early 2000's. Neither the big nor the small teams in the EPL want us now. They are already making money hand over fist.

I like our league up here.

It’s a vile hate filled backwater nation but I like it. I couldn’t be arsed with the tourist bullshit down there.

This is absolute shite.

You won't see the evidence of this.
Uuy411G.gif

It's definitely a closed shop as much as id love to see it it's never going to happen as others have said any team ain't going to be giving up their millions for us.

Pretty sure this has been discussed before, this particular story. There was also one where one of the English clubs owners, want to say either Bolton or Wigan maybe, said moves for both clubs to go down south were well down the line

I cant see It happening anytime soon, a spanish, French, German or Italian team will join the English league before a Scottish team will. Just because we share a border doesn’t make it a less ridiculous concept.

It would have been more astonishing, and frankly a dereliction of duty, if the two clubs had not had discussions about this. And I would be surprised if such contact only started in 2011 or indeed stopped there.

I believe this happened. Meetings did take place for sure. The move would never have come to fruition, the English would never have rangers or the bheasts down there...
on a side note, if I remember rightly, bains PA lousie was a tidy wee piece... prettt sure he was nailing her at some point the dog!!

I cant see It happening anytime soon, a spanish, French, German or Italian team will join the English league before a Scottish team will. Just because we share a border doesn’t make it a less ridiculous concept.
i think the super league will happen and that cancel out everything else

I wouldn’t want us to join them. What makes supporting Rangers extra special is the constant pressure of going for trophies and it wouldn’t be the same down south, albeit we haven’t won a trophy in 8 years but you get the point.

Did that report really say if we moved to the EPL we'd still play in Scottish Cup? As if

Meetings took place with Bain, Desmond and Murray at Murray’s Perthshire estate.
Not denying that. Not at all.

Not saying that they didn't email each other and perhaps had other meetings arranged. What I meant was there is no way the English Football authorities were visibly open to the suggestion at any stage. They were prepared and ready to close ranks due to pressure from Clubs that would suffer as a result.

It was never a goer then sadly and I would have loved nothing more for it to have happened.

I have a strange feeling in my spidey sensorial region that we would have a better chance of joining the lower leagues today than we would have then.

Ah, the away trips would be sensational. ;)

Back