Rangers & Celtic chiefs shared secret emails over move to England in 2011- Scottish Sun

I would be astonished if it ever happened. 2 clubs would need to acquiesce and given the money involved I can’t see that.

It won't happen now as the EPL have the financial dominance they wanted.

It would have had pros and cons like all things.

Pros
1. Stuff the SFA and rest of the haters
2. We could keep our best players and compete for real quality
3. It would be far more competitive

Cons
1. It would be far more competitive so regular trophies would be gone (unless we stayed in the Scottish & league cups)
2. Assume no European football

I could actually see political moves during this parliament to support it......helps muddy the lines between the UK and would hugely piss off Sturgeon and Co. Make it happen BOJO!

4 more games a season for each EPL team and boosting your appeal by a shit load.

The money levels would rise again, they'd take the cash.

What utter guff.

The reality:

Rangers & Celtic: We’ve drafted a big thing here that shows how great it’d be for you to include us in your league.

EPL: Thanks, but we’re pretty good as it is.

Looking at that thread on managers spending, just because you have access to and spend a lot of money it's no guarantee of quality. I'm not sure if I would be for jumping across the border, but it's a moot point. If the EPL and Sky wanted us there, we would be.

Where does this idea that us playing in the epl would boost attendances in the epl from what I see on motd most of the grounds are full or nearly full.they don’t need us and smaller epl clubs are not going to vote to let us in at there own expense

If Rangers are to leave Scottish football, it will be to an "Atlantic league" type set-up that was mooted back in the early 2000s. Playing alongside the likes of Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, Benfica, Porto, Sporting etc.

Furthermore, this will only happen once the top clubs from the "big 4/5" leagues in Europe form their own Superleague. UEFA are trying to counter this by constantly manipulating the CL set-up at each 4 year cycle.

In theory, if we bought a conference team, what's to stop us loaning them players to get them successive promotions, and then when they get to Championship level or so, switch their stadium to Ibrox and we take over? Not that it'd ever happen, but what would the barrier to that be?

no history for a start, Rangers being left to rot while a conference team play at Ibrox.... not for me

This the annual Rangers / Celtic moving to England story which has been doing the rounds for 20+ years? Ship has sailed along time ago on that one

Will never happen. We are not strong enough week in and week out. It would take time to build a truly competitive team.

The English don't want the mhanky IRA supporting scum.
Remember a Tim I knew telling me the Blackburn fans ambushed them all over the city screaming anti IRA chants

RIVALS' SECRET EMAILS Celtic & Rangers chiefs hatched plan to quit Scottish football and join English league in 2011

EXCLUSIVE

By Douglas Walker

19th January 2020, 10:23 pm

ADD COMMENT

OLD Firm bosses planned to quit Scottish football and apply to join the English league, we can reveal.

A confidential dossier outlining their strategy was shared in secret emails sent by Celtic chief Peter Lawwell to then Rangers supremo Martin Bain.
REUTERS

The clubs were in talks over their impact on EPL in 2011

It claimed they’d have a “massive impact” on the Premier League down south — and insisted their departure would also boost the Scots game by making it “more competitive”.

The paperwork was sent from Lawwell’s assistant Eleanor O’Neill to Bain’s PA Louise Barrie in 2011.
The document’s first section was titled: “What would the Old Firm bring to English football?”
Celtic and Rangers hailed by Uefa over bumper attendances and social engagement

It said “the addition of two more “giant” teams” would have “an exponential impact” on the number of big games available to be shown on TV worldwide.

The proposal added: “In a media environment craving additional quantity and quality of games, the introduction of Celtic and Rangers into the FA Premier League would have a massive impact on the ability to meet that demand.”

The executives said their travelling supporters would bring “a welcome revenue boost for many clubs”.

They claimed: “The two teams also benefit from a global following similar to that enjoyed by only a few teams in England such as Manchester United and Liverpool.

Driven by Scottish and (in the case of Celtic in particular) Irish migration, the USA, Canada and Australia provide large, wealthy and committed fan base

The document went on to explain how removing the “hugely dominant” Hoops and Gers would allow “a new competitive mantra to take hold” north of the border.

It stated: “Teams like Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and others would have the chance of competing for a title and of being crowned Champions — and a place in the UEFA Champions League.

“Increasing true competition is the best way to breathe fresh life into a league structure which is currently wed to a failing business model.

“Cities outside Glasgow would, for the first time in generations in some cases, have the chance of tasting success. The long-term financial model would be more sustainable.”

It added: “There remains the potential for the Old Firm to continue to play in the Scottish Cup.

Finally, the dossier told how kids would be “inspired” by seeing some of the world’s biggest stars playing in Glasgow week in, week out.

It added: “A new playing environment for Celtic and Rangers would be good for Glasgow and Scotland.”

Lawwell and Bain were to discuss UK football’s “long-term structure” in London with Ralph Topping and Neil Doncaster, then chair and chief exec of the Scottish Premier League.

But the November 2011 meeting never took place as Rangers plunged into financial crisis.

Celtic and Rangers were approached for comment.

douglas.walker@the-sun.co.uk

That sounds about right. Bain naively working away on something for celtic. Whilst celtic were lining up the HMRC, Craig Whyte, SPL and BBC to f*ck us over.

Dont think it'll ever happen. A european super league of some sort will happen in the next few years, that is the way forward.

If this is ever mentioned again by the club, i would like Rangers and anyone speaking on our behalf to mention it as only Rangers moving the England. Sick of us doing celtics fluffing for them when they went out there way to end us and only push this as a celtic thing.

It will only happen if the EPL starts to flounder and they need money

Money is all football is about in England

Back