Jones to stoke ?

It is starting to look more and more like he's not fancied. If we can get rid for money this window and that is the case, we should do it. We should also be looking to offload Barker as he's miles off it.

We could do with one more player of quality for the attacking 3 that can challenge Kent and Aribo, I like Stewart but the gaffer doesn't seem to trust him, Ojo is a serious downgrade if required. Maybe the manager reckons Kennedy is close to being able to play a squad role.

If we are drawing with 10 minutes to go would you be happy bringing Kent or Aribo or Arfield or Davis off for Jones and feel it increases our chances of getting a winner?

I would certainly feel more confident with him coming on over Ojo or Barker ie Jones cross to Alfredo v Legia in injury time in the EL qualifier to get us into the group stages.

STOKE CITY are reportedly preparing an offer for Rangers winger Jordan Jones.

The Daily Mail claim the 25-year-old, valued at around £1million, could be set for a reunion with former Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill.

Jones was sidelined for 12 weeks after injuring himself in the first Old Firm derby of the season.

However, he impressed during the Light Blues' warm-weather training camp in Dubai.

And played just over an hour of Rangers' 2-0 win over Stranraer in the Scottish Cup on Friday night.

With Murphy leaving and Middleton to go back out on loan, I don't fancy Barker being the back up for that position

Gerrard ideally would have wanted to give him the 90 on Friday. That he didn’t, shows Jones didn’t do enough by far

Maybe keep for away game in europe where he will get space to run into. Not going to get that in domestic games however as most scottish teams will park the bus against us.

I'd hold onto Jones unless someone is lined up to come in. Looked decent at the beginning of the season and I think most of us were pleasantly surprised. If he can get back to his early season form he'll be an asset.

That said, if his attitude isn't right I'd back the gaffer's decision on it.

He was terrible on Friday. Running into dead space and offering little. I don't know if it's a confidence thing but he looked lost.
He's never really the guy you want playing against a parked bus though is he. It's no coincidence his best games have been against teams who actually come out a bit like Midtjylland. For me he's shown that he has something to offer but he's far from irreplaceable and very similar in style to Kent anyway.

I’d be very surprised if he left unless Gerrard has another one lined up.

Hes in the first team squad, youre right, he can only be sold if we get a replacement. Perhaps, he is a makeweight in the Campbell deal.

Unless we have someone else coming in, I'd keep him for the rest of the season. Decent backup and possible starter when he's at his best

Before the injury he was showing a bit of form and had good energy off the ball, but even then the quality on the ball wasn't great.

Decision for SG to make because we still need bit of depth in the squad, and don't want to punt too many out this window and not replace them.

I'm not convinced Jones has shown enough to suggest to me that he would be good enough to be a regular starter, however he is one i'd certainly rate higher than Barker, and potentially Oj as well.

A game like Friday is never going to suit Jones no space in behind as they had 11 behind the ball. Saying that he should have the quality to make an impact against Stranraer.

I think Gerrard prefers wide men like Aribo and Kent who can come inside rather than a speedster like Jones

A saleable asset whom we can do without. If we recalled Hastie who has good shooting power and played him as an inside forward he'd be better suited than Jones who is a proper winger and doesn't really score.

Must say i'm surprised by the chat that Jones may be let go. He's someone who i have big hopes for developing into a first choice player for us.

I'd hold onto Jones unless someone is lined up to come in. Looked decent at the beginning of the season and I think most of us were pleasantly surprised. If he can get back to his early season form he'll be an asset.

That said, if his attitude isn't right I'd back the gaffer's decision on it.
Jones is excellent against teams who open up against us which is why he looked good in the qualifiers and against Hibs. Against a packed defence he wont show up as well..as a team we struggle against a packed defence so it would be unfair to criticise just him for that.
I think he has a part to play yet.

I doubt if Gerrard's opinion of Jones changed after his run out against Stranraer. It was his first start after limited game time and after a particularly nasty injury. From my understanding he is highly rated at the club and I can only see this happening if the injury was more sinister than we have been led to believe and he is being offloaded due to the risk of it re-occurring. He is a great lad, and has the club in his heart.

Seemed realy off (hiding) against Stranraer. To the point he looked uninterested. Maybe he is expecting to go. And yes I know it was his first game back. I am not questioning his ability it was his effort.
He certainly seemed off form against Stranraer but also I think the manager has changed away from using two wide players up front to playing ,in effect , an 8&10 instead. Where Kent is able to play that role Jones did not seem to be able to do that.

I would definitely keep him. He has shown what he is capable of early in the season and if he was to go it would leave us very light on the left if Kent was to get injured.

Did Gerrard not say after the Tashkent game that Jones look to have came back with a bang?

Admittedly he was pish on Friday and Gerrard did comment on his disappointment in senior players performance, perhaps relating to Jones and Barker.

Would be surprised to see him go still. Also wouldn't sell for the quoted 1 mil.

He certainly seemed off form against Stranraer but also I think the manager has changed away from using two wide players up front to playing ,in effect , an 8&10 instead. Where Kent is able to play that role Jones did not seem to be able to do that.
He didn't seem to know where to position himself at all on Friday, especially in the first half. Really disappointing performance, albeit his first back from a long injury lay off.

Jone's form or lack of on friday was due to the tactical set-up in which he was playing ,it was obvious that he'd been told to cut inside and let Halliday move outside him ,unfortunately Halliday ain't no wingback and did nothing when he had the ball this left Jones moving into an already overcrowded midfield doing a high press there was simply nowhere for him to go,what did surprise me was that the gaffer didn't modify Halliday's position

Jones was never going to shine on Friday given the way they set up with a packed defence and no space for the wingers to play in. I thought he done well in Dubai when he had more room to run into
Only the mentally challengeds, and sometimes Hibs, play like that in Scotland against us.

Hence why Jones ONE good game for us was against Hibs/Whittaker.

He has played next to no football for months so I can't see anyone buying him or taking him on loan. He showed enough before his injury to suggest he could be a good player for us.

Would be sorry to see Jones go. I think he has a lot to offer.

I cant see him falling out of favour due to his silly mistake earlier in the season.

Taking a negative view of joining the dots.

Gerrard didn't exactly back him after the old firm.
Subsequently when asked to comment on Jones the gaffer hasn't exactly been glowing.
The rumour seems to be growing, rather than being shut down.
He was brutal on Friday and hooked. Injury or not, dont see it as a stretch that the gaffers scathing comments included Jones.

Taking all that into account I woukdnt be surprised to see him go, and if he does I will back the manager 100 percent.

I'd add though that I would really hope that the gap is filled with us trading up and not relying on chicken run Barker.

Back