Jones to stoke ?

I'd keep him. At the moment I think he's the best option on the left after Kent. He was effective in big games before his injury, he hasn't lost that ability.

It's just going to take a bit of time to get up to speed after his injury, not many players got pass marks on Friday, one of those games.

The only way I’d let him go is if we had a better replacement lined up.

We have a lot of games left this season and will need to use the squad at times, even if he doesn’t start he’s decent back up for either wing.

Pre-injury I thought he was one of our better players. If Kent got injured there isn't a natural replacement on the left (Aribo, Stewart, Ojo, Barker and even Arfield are all more suited to the right side). Wouldn't like to see him go unless we brought in several million for him.

Jones useful in bigger games where he has space,not against these anti football 20 behind ball teams.

Didn’t help his case in the last game .H should have ran their defence ragged but failed miserably to impress .
Proved he has a lot to offer at the start of the season , don’t know if the gaffer is playing mind games with him to buck up his ldeas regardless he’s still a better option than Barker and OJo

He shouldn’t be allowed to leave unless there is a suitable (hopefully better) replacement lined up. Going into the second half of the season, with only Barker and Ojo would make me worried.

I wouldn’t say that he’s been missed since he’s been out injured. Although I wouldn’t mind him as a back up in case of injuries to the starting eleven

I think it's safe to say that the tackle against them has put him right down the pecking order under Gerrard.

There's definitely something in these Jones links imo. The club could have killed the story stone dead over in Dubai if there wasn't.

Maybe keep for away game in europe where he will get space to run into. Not going to get that in domestic games however as most scottish teams will park the bus against us.
They all park the bus against, even the scum who barely left their own half. Mind you I don't think that's what they intended (lol).

Can't believe some people want to get rid of him because he was poor against Stranraer fs. If that's the case half our team could've been punted against East Fife.

Not only that but he's still twice the player of Barker or Ojo.

I would keep him, right midfield is where we should be spending money, if available, this window though.

He was poor Friday but hes been out for months needs time. Think he can be a right good option for us.

Doubt he will be sold. A Injury to Kent and we are left with Ojo and Barker as starters.

Thats not winning no league.

We need another forward player to add to the current bunch
He has been out for months but he kept wandering about inside v Stranraer instead of being out wide and rarely looked like he was bursting himself.

Back-up to Kent and Aribo for wide areas is a real worry right now.

He was poor on Friday but offers a good option as a squad player, when Kent/aribo need a rest. However, I think he would benefit from a run of games and therefore a loan might be on the cards.

I was hopeful of him having a decent second half of the season,not so sure now as the manager doesn’t seem that keen on keeping him.

Hope he stays. He has probably only really performed to a high level in one or two games so far if we are being honest, but there is definately a player in there that can make an impact once he gets a clear run of games.

Strange that he is being linked with a move away so often when he has only just started his career with us.

Do we think we'll get any incoming? Read on twitter Barjonas has joined Partick on loan if Jones goes too surely squad is getting a bit thin.

The bench on Wednesday will be interesting, Jones was very poor on Friday and there seems to be some doubts about his application in training.

He has done well is some games early on in the season but Gerrard is not a patient man with this sort of thing, he either applies himself or he will be moved on.

I don’t want him to go anywhere he needs time to recover from his injury plus he needs game time if Kent gets injured who do we have to cover him if jones is sold I hope Gerrard sees this

Jones undoubtedly has talent. I would like to see him stay and fight his way into contention. He is by far a preferable backup option than Barker.

I think deliberately getting himself sent off v them really pissed Gerrard off, he’d cited discipline the whole summer, made it clear he was clamping down then Jones made him and us look daft with that challenge.

He’d been doing well up to that point I thought.

I thought it was a crazy prospect to sell him when the rumours first started circulating.
His early season form would still have him in the queue ahead of Ojo and Barker for me.

However, apart from the overall performance on Friday I noticed him and Defoe having a 'difference of opinion' when we were getting set for a corner on Friday. There could definitely be some personality issues outside of performances that are making this more of a reality.

If he does go, we need someone else in.

No way should we be selling after 6 months unless its a crazy offer . The boys still got a part to play .
agree with an earlier poster though about recalling Hastie if he does leave

Jones went past more boys in the one league start he had against hibs than barker and Ojo have all season madness to consider letting him go imho

I thought it was a crazy prospect to sell him when the rumours first started circulating.
His early season form would still have him in the queue ahead of Ojo and Barker for me.

However, apart from the overall performance on Friday I noticed him and Defoe having a 'difference of opinion' when we were getting set for a corner on Friday. There could definitely be some personality issues outside of performances that are making this more of a reality.

If he does go, we need someone else in.

If they sell him, they must have someone lined up... they would have to have someone lined up.

He had a few good displays at the start of the year but a few poor ones too and was very poor against Stranraer. I’d be happy to give him another chance but he needs to really show up within his next few outings.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t be too upset if he goes. Especially as I would think him leaving would imply that we have some other option being lined up.

I think he's got something and has the ability to carry the ball through a packed defence. I get the idea that Steven Gerrard is not happy with him and I'll trust his judgement over my own, though.

I personally think Jones gives us something we don't have elsewhere on the pitch and it would be short sighted (unless he isn't putting the effort in training) to off load as of now. However if this is a sweetener to ease the path of an incoming from the same team then I could be happy with that.

He's never really the guy you want playing against a parked bus though is he. It's no coincidence his best games have been against teams who actually come out a bit like Midtjylland. For me he's shown that he has something to offer but he's far from irreplaceable and very similar in style to Kent anyway.

Jones similar to Kent?

I'd say he's the complete opposite to Kent, he has zero trickery, doesn't offer a goal threat and struggles to go by a man unless he has about 30 yards to run into.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to keep him to back up Kent as he is better than Barker or Middleton. If he does go it will be because he's pissed off Gerrard.

He's very average and has been OK in games against teams who don't sit in.
Otherwise not good enough and an attitude as well?

I agree he was a complete passenger on friday offering nothing IMO but as said his strength is pace and getting by a man but we have Borna & Kent for that down the left

Back