Archie McPherson or Arthur Montford ?

steveski

Two Scottish legends, one no longer with us.
When we listen to the garbage commentary on our tellys these day with Rob 'zzzzzzz' MacLean and Ian Croak-a-shit, do some of us hanker for the older commentary styles.

So who did you prefer Archie 'Woooof' McPherson or Arthur 'Up go the heads' Montford ?

Incidentally what is everyone’s problem with Ian Crocker theses days? I’m not a particular fan but can’t remember him saying anything that got up my humph.

Certainly does highlight the lack of talent we get now. At least Archie would make the game sound interesting

Always felt that Arthur was more the real down-to-earth football fan than Archie and that Scotsport had a more football fan magazine feel about it. Whereas, Sportscene came across a more serious side of the game.

Incidentally what is everyone’s problem with Ian Crocker theses days? I’m not a particular fan but can’t remember him saying anything that got up my humph.

Aw mate his constant felating of Celtic is nauseating.

Had no context on the game but he felt compelled to mention "Morelos was sent off against Celtic again and failed to score again" after we horsed them in their own midden in December. That's only a recent memory, there are countless more.

Montford was the main man when I grew up watching Scotsport on a Sunday, was Archie his BBC equivalent?

First MacPherson commentary I remember was the ‘88 Skol Cup semi V Hearts. The final was my first ever rangers game so, as he commentated on that, Archie wins it for me.

Actually, was Joke Brown not the scotsport commentator? Still Archie.

Arthur Montford for me. Met him one day taking his brother out and they had some lunch in a garden centre. Such a caring man and his brother absolutely doted on him, kept saying 'Thats my brother Arthur, he is famous.' His brother stayed in Lennox Castle until it shut down but you could tell he loved spending time with him.

Purely as Montford was a bit before my time, I'm going to go with Archie.

Its odd, as I don't recall too much of his commentary up until the Champions League coverage in 1999/2000 and 2000/2001. And obviously the Bert goal.

Rangers commentary in the 90s was Jock Brown and Gerry McNee. Have fond memories of both commentating on our games as it was a prosperous period.

Archie, by a country mile.

Montford always sounded like a complete amateur to me. He never seemed to sound animated at the right bits, like someone who didn't much like football or possibly even understand it.

Arthur for me. Archie too full of his own importance for me, he’s not in the Motson class though.

Arthur Montford for me. Met him one day taking his brother out and they had some lunch in a garden centre. Such a caring man and his brother absolutely doted on him, kept saying 'Thats my brother Arthur, he is famous.' His brother stayed in Lennox Castle until it shut down but you could tell he loved spending time with him.

I liked Arthur, reality nice guy, he lived not far from where I used to stay in Bearsden. Came as a hell of a shock though when he left his wife for another woman,what a stramash that caused back then :)
As for their commentating styles, I liked both Archie and Arthur.

Archie for me. Was usually Archie or Jock Brown who done the commentary when i was growing up.

Jock was good as well despite his subsequent employment at the breezeblock.

Archie.

Arthur was a nice chap, sports jackets and all but his commentary was a tad boring.

It's a goal. It's there. Inane stuff like that.

I get the feeling from others (as I don't have SKY or BT) that he always talks positively about Celtc and is somewhat biased.

"And the Hibs players arguing amongst themselves. It's your fault, no it's yours, kind of thing."

Back