Archie McPherson or Arthur Montford ?

Archie for me. My memory might be playing tricks but in general I think he was a more rounded commentator

Archie was a far more accomplished commentator. Arthur was a gentleman though for sure and certainly didn't hold back when the national team were playing.

Everyone knew Arthur was a Morton fan but he was never openly biased for or against us on Scotsport, Ian Archer on the other hand hated us

Old wheatabix head Archie for me as I didn't hear Arthur commentate much. He was presenting the programme by the time I was regularly watching

Aw mate his constant felating of Celtic is nauseating.

Had no context on the game but he felt compelled to mention "Morelos was sent off against Celtic again and failed to score again" after we horsed them in their own midden in December. That's only a recent memory, there are countless more.

Add to that his funereal description of Katic's winner. You'd have thought a close relative had just died.

As for the OP's question. They're both legends but Archie always made the game sound more interesting, even if it was dross. Arthur sounded more sedate. I'd take them both over any of the rubbish we have to put up with today.

"Up go the heads"

Ah! Coming home from the pub on a Sunday afternoon(shut at 2.30 then) waiting for Scotsport to come on. Pass me a can of McEwans Export and the can opener please :))

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.:(

Brought up listening to the two of them but as another poster said Bill McLaren should have tried football comms

Archie was the more exciting commentator. Arthur was a bit more laid back, but there was something about the way he would say “It’s there! And Rangers have scored!” which for me was just right.

Actually met Archie one evening in a bar called, er, “Archie’s” in Waterloo street many years ago, whether the pub had any connection with him I don’t know.

Archie is bang in my era, so it’s got to be him, but Montford was also a great commentator. Shame when you hear the dross actively spoiling the game these days.

Archie was the better commentator, although Arthur was an out & out gentleman & I met him on several occasions
He was an ex captain of The Glasgow ( killermont , bearsden ) golf club & totally impartial, he was a big Morton fan , he may even had a spell on the board.
When you think of the clowns that we are forced to listen to nowadays

I always liked the story (whether true or not) that The Glasgow Golf Club had a rule that no tradesman's vans with advertising could be parked in the car park (if indeed "tradesmen" were permitted on the grounds at all!!). The story was that Arthur parked the STV dark blue Ford Granada Estate which had "STV" in 2/3" letters in pale blue on the driver's and front passenger's doors and was 'scolded' and asked to remove it immediately.

Dunno if my mind is playing tricks or not but I’m sure Montford said this “oh %^*& he’s hit the bar!” in one live game he commentated on.....anyone else remember that?

Old enough to remember both.
Both certainly better than what we are served up today.
If I had to pick one, it would definitely be Arthur, too often Archie cam across as smug and condescending in both commentary and when interviewing players and managers.
And for most of the eighties, Archie seemed to be deeply in love with both Billy McNeill and Paul McStay.
Others have posted that the bold Archie is one of us,going by his media output history, I would find that hard to believe.
As for the jacket competition,if you can find it,watch the bold Archie on the BBC shortbread evening news on the day Souness became our manager.
Besides having a go at our signing policy, he is wearing a dinner jacket that seems to be sprinkled with glitter.
I know the eighties were different, but dear oh dear.

Of the 2 I think Archie was the far superior, probably a bit too opinionated but Arthur sounded as dull as hell, even disinterested at times.
My personal favourites were ITV commentators Brian Moore and Hugh Johns, I never really took to BBC's Davies or Motson although Motty certainly knew his stuff, did a lot of homework.
Always hated Jock "that was controversial" Broon. Well suited to the mhanks.

No pretence from Arthur when Scotland were playing - "come on boys" he'd scream with his voice reaching a crescendo as we got near the goal. Bit of a contrast with Rob McLean who sounds like he's cacked his pants most of the time. But Tom Miller should take lessons from Archie IMO.

Archie. As a youngster i waited tables on both of them on different occasions. Arthur was a shite tipper.

Much as I liked Arthur with his polo neck sweaters/sports jackets and soft tones, the more rambunctious Archie 'Woof' McPherson was my era, it's Weetabix heid for me.

Has to be Arthur, cos i always thought Archie went a bit negative in games involving Rangers & Scotland when against the ropes/under the cosh.

Back