Article What a difference a year makes

DocStone

Administrator
Staff member
Having done the Match Threads now for way too f*cking long a good few years, it had given me an insight into how the team progresses year on year, as I often have to go back to corresponding fixture in years gone by to get graphic assets etc. Last Friday's Stranraer game was a bit of an eye opener for me as it really brought it home just how much we have improved over last season. I was going to post then, but in the end I decided to wait for tomorrow nights game to draw the comparisons as they are both the 39th game of our season, and both fall on Match Day 22 in the Premiership.

This time last year we were looking to face Kilmarnock away for Match Day 22 of the Scottish Premiership.

YLwe0KQ.png

We had yet to win more than three games on the trot that season, a feat we managed just the once up until Match Day 22, with three wins against at home to Rapid Vienna (3-1), home to Hearts (3-1) and away to Hamilton (1-4). We would have to wait until the 6th of February before we managed four wins in a row, and until the 2-0 victory at home to Celtic on the 12th May before we managed to hit six in a row. All in all last season we managed to put together two runs of three wins, one run of four and one of six.

This year we are at home for Match Day 22, and things are looking a lot rosier.

WxGGAtY.png

We are on our fourth run of over five winning games, with one of them extending to a run of six, being denied the seven by the superb 2-2 draw away to Feyenoord. Our longest run without a victory was the three game run in December, drawing 2-2 away to Aberdeen, losing 1-0 at Hampden to Celtic in the League Cup Final before drawing 1-1 at home with Young Boys. Contrast with last season, where by this point last season we had repeated that feat three times and you can see how we have changed.

Now, let us take a look at the League Tables. We found ourselves coming into Match Day 22 sitting in second place behind Celtic on goal difference, although they had a game in hand.

rAgbuTN.png

This year, we once again find ourselves in second place, however this year we are the team with a game in hand, and we have the exact same goal difference.

pBBw0Qm.png

Let's take a closer look at our results over the two periods.

This time last year we had played twenty one league games, winning just twelve, drawing six and losing three. We had a goal difference of twenty seven and sat on forty two points.

PWfrkMj.png

This year, things are different.

1k6sJcn.png

We have played two games less at nineteen games, winning sixteen (four more than last season), drawing two (four less than last season) and losing the solitary one game (down two on last season). We have a goal difference of forty two (up fifteen goals on last season) and have a total of fifty points - that is an eight point increase on this stage last season despite having played two games less.

Looking across all competitions, we have improved in each and every one from last season. The League Cup - last season saw us fall at Hampden to Aberdeen 1-0 in the Semi Final, this season we reached the Final where we outplayed last years winners Celtic and were eventually defeated by an offside goal. The Europa League - Last season saw us leave the competition at the group stages. This season? We navigated a very difficult group with very strong opposition (Porto, Feyenoord and Young Boys) and made it through to the knock out phases where we will face Braga next month.

In total, across all competitions last season we had the following stats heading into Match Day 22:

noYeP7R.png

Now, have a look at this seasons stats from all competitions:

7VX1e89.png

What can I say, the improvement is there for all to see. A 50% reduction in games lost or drawn over last season. An approximate 50% increase in games won. 23 more goals scored, and 8 less conceded.

"What a difference a year makes" the saying goes. Not bloody half when you are talking about Rangers, and our continued improvement under Steven Gerrard and his Staff. Long may it continue, and I think it will, they will demand no less.

Things are looking good, we just have to hope we kick on now like we didn't last season. I don't think this current Rangers team and more especially Gerrard will allow anything but. 55 is coming, I can almost f*cking taste it.

Last edited:
That’s really interesting, thanks for posting. The up turn in form this year to last has been brilliant to say the least. Long may it continue

Great post!! I really do hope this is our year after everything we’ve been through if it does happen this year it sure is going to be one hell of a party.

I still think we will improve more. Switching off has cost us the win/points on a couple of occasions now, i don't think the management will fail to highlight this.

A good wee read, thanks.

Nobody can now argue against their been a dramatic improvement in rangers since the arrival of Stevie G.

Its vital we continue on the same path and not give the haters any ammunition.

The player's attitudes have changed and with Gerrard's ethusiasm and insight we are a much stronger team and seem to gel more. Definitely leaping forward to 55!

Great bit of work @DocStone . However, we didn’t lose 1-0 at home to the Dhims in our 3 game winless run. You mean the League Cup Final at Hampden - our ‘second home’.:)

Pedantry, I know, but it spoils a great bit of work. I like. I like very much.:))

EDUT: now corrected.

Last edited:
So much of it is psychological. It’s not just our squad believing they’re going to keep on winning, it’s the pressure they’ll put on rivals who will believe we’re going to keep on winning.

The progress/quality/confidence turnaround has been spectacular in such a short period of time - appreciation to the Board/SG.

So much of it is psychological. It’s not just our squad believing they’re going to keep on winning, it’s the pressure they’ll put on rivals who will believe we’re going to keep on winning.

That is a very good point, over the years we do seem to have lost our "Fear Factor", teams like Livi and Kilmarnock no longer feared a drubbing from us, in fact quite the opposite, they knew if they played it right they could get under our skin and get a win.

That seems to be gone this season, I think the first game of the league season laid down the marker for that. You can score, but we will score more, it no longer unsettles us.

I want to see how we handle going top. That will be the real test of this team.
Great improvement though

8 points better off with 2 less played shows how ruthless we have been. There will always be games we drop points unfortunately, Aberdeen a particular disappointment, but it shows how much we are improving

The heads could have gone down after the blip against Aberdeen and that LC final, however the team have upped their game showing great mental strength. Lets hope we can kick on after the break, we seem a bit slow to get up to speed after a break.

It's been a pretty magnificent season so far outside of the cup final and the result against them at home.

Points are always going to be dropped here and there but like a lot of bears I've got a good feeling at the moment.

Nobody can now argue against their been a dramatic improvement in rangers since the arrival of Stevie G.

Its vital we continue on the same path and not give the haters any ammunition.
ha ha - but you still get articles on BBC site - "Have rangers improved under SG" and other rubbish

The improvement is there for all to see, but the 2nd half of the season is when prizes are handed out. I'm sure It's going to be successful...

Good read this Doc

I made a point to mates when they were on about Jones etc being poor. I said they weren’t but needed to play exceptional every game just to be at our level now

The steps we have taken are fantastic

Nice read again

I honestly had to doublecheck the stats from last season before I made this post, I couldn't believe the gains we have made. A 50% improvement in results? That is just staggering.

great piece
reading that gives me hope this will be our year
the only down side on those stats is the Aberdoom result, how we dropped points in that game i will never know

Cracking read mate.

I think the improvement is there for us all to see, but when you see it laid out there like that the improvement on last season is unbelievable.

SG and his coaching staff are working absolute wonders for us, it really feels like hes building something special.

The players attitude and confidence has improved this season and it's the most confident I've been about us winning in years.

It's only by reading something like this to confirm what I have felt recently. However my expectations are also rising so I tended not to fully appreciate the improvement.

I really like the stats 'infomatic' at the start of the match threads. Well put together and the stats difference from this time last year is extremely pleasing to the eye.

Having done the Match Threads now for way too f*cking long a good few years, it had given me an insight into how the team progresses year on year, as I often have to go back to corresponding fixture in years gone by to get graphic assets etc. Last Friday's Stranraer game was a bit of an eye opener for me as it really brought it home just how much we have improved over last season. I was going to post then, but in the end I decided to wait for tomorrow nights game to draw the comparisons as they are both the 39th game of our season, and both fall on Match Day 22 in the Premiership.

This time last year we were looking to face Kilmarnock away for Match Day 22 of the Scottish Premiership.

YLwe0KQ.png

We had yet to win more than three games on the trot that season, a feat we managed just the once up until Match Day 22, with three wins against at home to Rapid Vienna (3-1), home to Hearts (3-1) and away to Hamilton (1-4). We would have to wait until the 6th of February before we managed four wins in a row, and until the 2-0 victory at home to Celtic on the 12th May before we managed to hit six in a row. All in all last season we managed to put together two runs of three wins, one run of four and one of six.

This year we are at home for Match Day 22, and things are looking a lot rosier.

WxGGAtY.png

We are on our fourth run of over five winning games, with one of them extending to a run of six, being denied the seven by the superb 2-2 draw away to Feyenoord. Our longest run without a victory was the three game run in December, drawing 2-2 away to Aberdeen, losing 1-0 at Hampden to Celtic in the League Cup Final before drawing 1-1 at home with Young Boys. Contrast with last season, where by this point last season we had repeated that feat three times and you can see how we have changed.

Now, let us take a look at the League Tables. We found ourselves coming into Match Day 22 sitting in second place behind Celtic on goal difference, although they had a game in hand.

rAgbuTN.png

This year, we once again find ourselves in second place, however this year we are the team with a game in hand, and we have the exact same goal difference.

pBBw0Qm.png

Let's take a closer look at our results over the two periods.

This time last year we had played twenty one league games, winning just twelve, drawing six and losing three. We had a goal difference of twenty seven and sat on forty two points.

PWfrkMj.png

This year, things are different.

1k6sJcn.png

We have played two games less at nineteen games, winning sixteen (four more than last season), drawing two (four less than last season) and losing the solitary one game (down two on last season). We have a goal difference of forty two (up fifteen goals on last season) and have a total of fifty points - that is an eight point increase on this stage last season despite having played two games less.

Looking across all competitions, we have improved in each and every one from last season. The League Cup - last season saw us fall at Hampden to Aberdeen 1-0 in the Semi Final, this season we reached the Final where we outplayed last years winners Celtic and were eventually defeated by an offside goal. The Europa League - Last season saw us leave the competition at the group stages. This season? We navigated a very difficult group with very strong opposition (Porto, Feyenoord and Young Boys) and made it through to the knock out phases where we will face Braga next month.

In total, across all competitions last season we had the following stats heading into Match Day 22:

noYeP7R.png

Now, have a look at this seasons stats from all competitions:

7VX1e89.png

What can I say, the improvement is there for all to see. A 50% reduction in games lost or drawn over last season. An approximate 50% increase in games won. 23 more goals scored, and 8 less conceded.

"What a difference a year makes" the saying goes. Not bloody half when you are talking about Rangers, and our continued improvement under Steven Gerrard and his Staff. Long may it continue, and I think it will, they will demand no less.

Things are looking good, we just have to hope we kick on now like we didn't last season. I don't think this current Rangers team and more especially Gerrard will allow anything but. 55 is coming, I can almost f*cking taste it.

Great work Doc!
55 just what the Doc ordered and am looking forward to it arriving this year! ;)

Back