Steven Gerrard tactically shocking today

Today lies squarely at Katic's door - not team selection, not tactics but 2 errors that were capitalised upon. Practically every defensive error this season has been capitalised on by the opposition. You can't legislate for defensive cockups. Cut out the mistakes.

The last time I seen a Defender being so obviously shambolic in a game was Craig Moore under Advocaat. The difference being that Advocaat gave him the hook at around 25 mins and nearly strangled him upon leaving the field.
Mate i was at every game Craig Moore played, and you are giving that guy a misservice (sp) in saying he was ever as bad as that dross today... Even Gerrard speaking there knows the score. Edmundson will play on Wednesday. Katic should be playing with the women. They maybe show him how to fucking defend.

I'm all for criticising Gerrard tactically & have been vocal about poor team selections.

However lets not kid ourselves on, Katic sold that game & the biggest finger you can point at Gerrard is for not taking him off
The set up in the first half is the biggest reason why we did not win that match

I couldn't give a %^*& about Europe while we're absolutely shite domestically.

We've been very good in Europe and Gerrards only formation suits playing these teams.

He has failed miserably domestically and that's all I care about right now.

The players dug Gerrard out of a massive hole on Thursday.

Somehow folk are contriving to turn it into some kind of tactical masterclass.

He has to be given time to get it right but he is not making it easy to defend him. Since the break he hasn't managed to get even 30 minutes a game out of these players and seems to make it so easy for teams to play against us because he never changes anything. Thursday's comeback was special but partly accidental because of Borna going off and putting Aribo to LB freed us up to attack more than if Halliday came on. Then today we revert to normal and have AH at LB against yet another team of very limited ability but who give 100%.

Gerrard may turn out to be a good manager but it wont be with us. He is nowhere near the required level, i wish him well but this is a job too big for him

All the journeymen spl managers have his measure n know exactly how we will play, even the rookie manager at killie made an ar#e of our Manager tactically.

The job under normal circumstances is too big for a rookie but to try to stop a rampant mentally challenged side getting 8, 9 and now 10 in a row was no job for a rookie unproven Manager.

The board have backed him to the hilt and he's failed miserably, it doesn't even look like he will win a cup for all that outlay. I have a scary feeling that he may get kept for next season just because of who he is and its as big a mistake as him getting the job in the first place.

How do we play in the europa league though, it's baffling, St Johnstone and Killie wouldn't get through the first qualifying round.

You're a muppet.
I'm a muppet for thinking Katci is a waste of space? Aye ok. Hope you thought he was great and will want him to play again... The reason we did not win today was Katic.. End of .. He has gone from being superb to being an absolute fucking donkey... Im a muppet praying and hoping the best centre back at our club is back fit and playing asap.. ok

As the OP said; great tactical switch at HT. But he got nervous and tried to hold onto the win. The way Katic was playing it would’ve been safer to continue attacking rather than invite St Johnstone onto us.

Mate i was at every game Craig Moore played, and you are giving that guy a misservice (sp) in saying he was ever as bad as that dross today... Even Gerrard speaking there knows the score. Edmundson will play on Wednesday. Katic should be playing with the women. They maybe show him how to fucking defend.

Read my post correctly and you will see I was talking about a single bad performance in a game. I liked Craig Moore .... he became a very good player under Advocaat.

The point I’m making was that everyone could see that Katic should have been off before more damage was done - just in the same way that Moore had to be subbed that day at Ibrox.

The difference between just playing poorly and being a total shambles in a game.

But remedied it with the changes he made at halftime, I'm all for slagging the manager but people were crying out for changes and he made them

This is it. He made changes and found the solution and then reverted to what was failing. Baffling.

Morelos drop in form is the key overall player problem. He was leading the team before and now they look a soft touch. We’ve lost the ability to hunt in packs.

The cup is their last chance and winning or losing that will determine the scale of clear out required. Win and we’re looking at 3 first team out and 3 in. Lose and it’s more like 5.

Gerard deserves another year though. He’s bought 30m euros in through Europe and reestablished our name on the continent. But in terms of SPFL he still doesn’t get it. One more year.

This isn’t a one off though.....

your missing the bigger picture here....
I'm not detracting from Gerrard and Beale consistently making errors with tactics and selection but today Katic was so, so bad and ultimately cost us a win. League was already over as far as I'm concerned before today.

Gerrard talks the talk but it's time he actually dropped under performing players, as it seems a few are undroppable no matter how out of form they are ..

Tactics has zero to do with that today. Two mistakes and threw the two points away. Now you can question selection and centre defence has been shaky. I would have had edmunson on straight after we scored. But I think it harsh on SG when players are giving away howlers like we did today.

I've never been a fan of this 4-2-3-1 thing. Reckoned with Warburton our players just weren't good enough yet we're still struggling.

Numerous times this season Aflie has been isolated trying to hold the ball against two centre halves and a midfielder baring down on him, it's even worse when it's Defoe who doesn't have the physical attributes with his age.

It seems near impossible to score doing what we're doing, we've looked more of a threat when on the counter where there are gaps in the space to run into. Even when our lovely passing has worked and Tavernier or Barasic has got a cross in more often than not it's been Morelos in the box on his own with the ball going nowhere near him.

After Kamberi came on St Johnstone just couldn't handle the both of them. Start with the two of them and we're scoring and killing games in the first half. I wouldn't worry that they have an extra man in midfield, they'll be too concerned about having to deal with two excellent strikers rather than one.

With the better link up play and chaos there's going to be more opportunities for guys like Kent who so far have been tasked with creating something out of nothing with a wall of players in front of them.

Keep the one striker thing for Europe or the Knew Camp.

Unfortunately i don't see gerrard lasting the season. I cant believe its got to that point. Who knows where we go as a club now.

Gerrard needs a experienced assistant manager that knows Scottish football.
I honestly don't see what Gary McAllister brings to the coaching staff for me he just sits with his arms folded all game.

At HT the management team had to take Katic off

It was clear he was having a nightmare and that continued 2nd half too

Katic cost us 2 goals today and the mistake was not bringing him off and putting Edmundson at HT

Utter garbage and we just don’t seem to learn from the errors

I see this comment as a defence all the time on here, who will we appoint next?
Just because we dont have a ready made replacement it doesnt mean we stick with the shit we have
I asked you the question, who do we sign as an improvement? It's easy to scream get rid, and have no clue as to improve.

Then why pick him? why keep playing 433? Why keep making the same mistakes every week. Today

Not much of a choice after Edmundson struggled at Hamilton. It was a toss up really although maybe would have favoured Edmundson due to his distribution.

Im not actually disagreeing & have criticised Gerrard loads on here. Yes the set was wrong, he changed it, the change combined with the sub changed the game. This was all brought down by another honking mistake from Katic

Well said it was individual errors at the back tactically thought he was spot on.. SG at fault is all nonsense.

Exactly.

His awful 'tactics' had us have 65% possession, 20+ shots at goal, his changes at HT led to turning game from 1-0 down to a winning and controlling position.

And the subs late on wouldnt be questioned at all if Katic doesnt %^*& up again which allows St J to then put everyone behind ball last 10 mins.

In fact hes likely praised for it instead.

Not much of a choice after Edmundson struggled at Hamilton. It was a toss up really although maybe would have favoured Edmundson due to his distribution.

Im not actually disagreeing & have criticised Gerrard loads on here. Yes the set was wrong, he changed it, the change combined with the sub changed the game. This was all brought down by another honking mistake from Katic
It was. Yet we change individuals and yet still the mistakes and lack of creativity remains

Exactly.

His awful 'tactics' had us have 65% possession, 20+ shots at goal, his changes at HT led to turning game from 1-0 down to a winning and controlling position.

And the subs late on wouldnt be questioned at all if Katic doesnt %^*& up again which allows St J to then put everyone behind ball last 10 mins.

In fact hes likely praised for it instead.
Warburton like stats. Not many quality chances

Gerrard needs a experienced assistant manager that knows Scottish football.
I honestly don't see what Gary McAllister brings to the coaching staff for me he just sits with his arms folded all game.

That's because Beale is the brains and the go to tactical guy.

Playing Haliday at left back on Thursday and realising it's a mistake at half time then repeating the mistake 4 days later is mental, that and taking off 2 of the main threats to close the game out when our centre half pairing is dodgy to say the least is mental.

We make 20 plus passes to try to do to very poor sides what they take 2, 3 or 4 passes to do to us.

No surprise you defending Gerrard as per.. the guy can do no wrong in some peoples eyes.

He gave St Johnston a 45 minute head start by starting with the same shite we always do.

People would now rather have a superstar manager than a successful Rangers.

Sad times.
you clearly know f*ckall, was it him that caused 2 individual errors that led to goals no it f*cking wasn't, i'll slate the gaffer if i think he deserves it so get f*cking over yourself

21 chances today yet some say the tactics don’t work.

We DID NOT create 21 chances today! We might have had 21 shots on goal, but it's a stretch to consider every shot on goal a chance. In fact, we were utterly abysmal from back to front, with only Kamberi showing anything like the quality or composure required.

My only comment then I’m off today. We are stuck with a rookie gamble, he will be here next year if he doesn’t quit. We might sneak a cup( unlikely). We will never win a league under SG. Another , in an endless list of, failed gambles by our incompetent board. We are in an endless loop of mediocrity.

Incompetent board? Aye, it would have been so much better if we had hit admin 2 and all the assets had passed to Ashley.

Disgrace of a comment and sounds like someone from the Rangers hating media.

Why?
He failed at Sunderland and is hardly tearing it up at Easter Road.
You're hurting, like the rest of us, but are talking absolute nonsense.
Because he has experience where SG is a aprentice we are too big a club to be managed by an apprentice,may be nonsense to you but it's all about opions and that's mine

Basically wrote off a full half by going 4-3-3 with the undroppables.

Amateur.

Murty would get roasted for that.

4-3-3 hasn’t worked against the diddy teams for any Rangers manager. It’s only ever been effective in games in Europe or vs the scum when you can counter attack

I'm all for criticising Gerrard tactically & have been vocal about poor team selections.

However lets not kid ourselves on, Katic sold that game & the biggest finger you can point at Gerrard is for not taking him off

This 10000000%.

Tactics, low blocks, the high press etc etc all that bollox means absolutely feck all when a player plays as Katic did.

No manager is responsible for a horror show like that.

Never been a msssive Katic fan, he's far to rash for me.
Always seems to be drawn towards the ball Thursday's 2nd goal was a classic example.

Today he was utterly dreadful and now SG has got to give Edmundson a go.

Back