Steven Gerrard tactically shocking today

At JOHNSTONE first goal a long ball up the park. We fail to deal with it. We have seen this movie at least 3 times this year. How many goals like that do we lose before doing something about it?

Gdson passing ball out of defence with no movement in midfield. So he goes long. Ball comes straight back. Every week since the break it is exactly the same things we get wrong.

Formation needs to change. Hagi is far more effective in the middle of the park. Why play him right? GReig Stewart gets 10 mins a game, what is that about?

Gerrard is tactically naive.

I’m somewhere in the middle with regards to Gerrard’s future.. Yeah I could be sitting on the fence.
Forgot about Wednesday as Europe is a bonus.
But if anything goes wrong at Tynecastle on Saturday, then I can see the pressure going up another notch.

Exactly.

His awful 'tactics' had us have 65% possession, 20+ shots at goal, his changes at HT led to turning game from 1-0 down to a winning and controlling position.

And the subs late on wouldnt be questioned at all if Katic doesnt %^*& up again which allows St J to then put everyone behind ball last 10 mins.

In fact hes likely praised for it instead.
If big Katic does his job it’s great management think it’s time for me to stay of social media for a few days.

People do realise the only person to blame today is Katic doesn't matter what formation or tactics you draw up if a player has one of the worst games of his career

well surely you take him off? We all could see his head was gone after the first goal.

The reason Gerrard changed it after we went 2 - 1 was because we were far too opening and had to play that way to get back in the match but hje must have felt he wanted to tighten things up and see out the match

Obviously he wasn't expecting Katic to make a rip roaring c%Nt of it

Tactically getting away with absolute murder.

I’m not buying the changes against Braga or changes today we’re a masterclass either - he had to go for broke at 2-0 as his normal tactics weren’t working against Braga, and today he literally had no choice but to change it.

He’s really, really lacking in a tactical respect.

That's a given mate. I'm hoping he can turn things around more than anything else.
I hope so to mate, im just so scunnered with it just now, week in week out. I want nothing more than a succesful club no matter who is at the helm but he is doing nothing at all to make me believe it will be him

Today we needed more fight in our team he should have started with Kamberi and Stewart and rested Hagi and Kent. The pitch looked worse than Ibrox not for dribbling ball players.

He's so bloody hesitant to change things when they're going poorly. He actually changed it at halftime, we're dominating them thanks to it and he decides to change it again by reverting to the system that did %^*& all for 45 minutes and we drop points because of it.

Against some of these jobber teams Gerrard is a absolute shitebag. Treats the likes of St Mirren, St Johnstone with far more respect than they deserve. All they do is play long balls but Gerrard has to have 3 midfielders in against them. Until Gerrard develops a ruthless streak and starts regularly playing teams like them with 2 up top or a 4-2-3-1 we'll drop silly points. He treats every team like they're bloody barca when they're not even capable of playing a few passes in the midfield without losing it

I was at the game and most of the 1st half it looked like Ryan jack played in midfield himself. Hanging Hagi out to dry on the right wing is stupid.

To then change it half time and get our noses in front and then revert back to that same failed formation is unforgivable.

He’s getting desperate with his helander comment.

A failed formation changed at half time where he brought on a striker who linked well with Morelos and linked the midfield.

Rangers go 2-1 up and are dominating the game

so what does Gerrard do??? Revert back to the failed formation taking Morelos off and bringing on a midfielder

result - a draw

why change when dominating, it doesn’t make sense.

Agree 100%. It's the spl we're playing in, having the 2 up top changed the game at the start of the second half abs we got ahead then he shit the bed abs reverted to the formation that has failed us for the past month.

I have a feeling he'll see out the season and there'll be a parting of the ways in the summer. Then it'll be very interesting to see how some of these players that supposedly love playing at Rangers will stick it out under a new manager, Kent, Tavernier, Defoe to name a few that I think would want away very quickly

Gerrard can manage in Europe that’s totally different to playing in Scotland. To me he cannot get his head round domestically and it shows. Katic should have been hooked and Morelos was terrible today really poor. All the off field stuff has got to him and I think he wants out.
Le Guen could manage in Europe

The reason Gerrard changed it after we went 2 - 1 was because we were far too opening and had to play that way to get back in the match but hje must have felt he wanted to tighten things up and see out the match

Obviously he wasn't expecting Katic to make a rip roaring c%Nt of it
We carry on playing the way we were it looked like we would have scored again, changing the shape allowed them back into the game , he cost us every bit as much as Katic

Alfie looked as if he was pulling a train today,,,looked as if he's been carrying an injury,,,as for tactics, putting aribo at lb nearly worked for us,,we just have too many players out of form

At HT the management team had to take Katic off

It was clear he was having a nightmare and that continued 2nd half too

Katic cost us 2 goals today and the mistake was not bringing him off and putting Edmundson at HT

Utter garbage and we just don’t seem to learn from the errors
Said the exact same thing. Everyone, bar the manager could see Katic had lost it. Much like Kamara on Thursday.

See this "we have to work harder as a staff"? Don't work 'harder', work smarter. Use your head.
How difficult is it to manage the game that's actually being played out in front of you?
That is what you have to do as a priority, intervene if a player is having a nightmare, or is ineffective. Don't let them play through it in competitive games.
If your shape isn't getting the best from the players then alter it. Don't watch it thinking it'll magically improve.
If you're too pedestrian or too comfortable without a decent margin, do something about it.
Manage the game, stop observing.

Last edited:
He is a piss poor manager, he isnt learning and his stubbornness has cost us a shot at the tile this season, morelos, tav, kent need removed from that side asap.

What did tactics have to do with 3 awful errors from Katic that directly led to both goals which Gerrard has zero influence over?

That's the reason we dropped 2 points today.
Too many players with stumbling form as for some of the comments today, a lot of it is hurt that we cannot find that level we were at before the break!

Let's be clear he did manage the game he made the substitutions that got us ahead.

He then decided because I suspect we were missing match winning chances and wanting to see the game out-put on Davis and Stewart.

You can bet if we had drawn and say Davis hadn't came on people would have been screaming he should have put an experienced player on to control it.

I get the result isn't palatable but I think a lot of posters should leave the detail alone they haven't got a fucking clue.

As for his management ability I think other clubs will be interested in him because they don't look at football like an angry punter who cannot handle their biggest rivals winning.

His European record and getting closer to them-in a wider world view-will stand him in decent condition for continuing his career in management.

As for his management ability I think other clubs will be interested in him because they don't look at football like an angry punter who cannot handle their biggest rivals winning.

His European record and getting closer to them-in a wider world view-will stand him in decent condition for continuing his career in management.

Dylan who fucking cares about that.

We are Rangers fans and we need to win things.

We are not going to win anything with this team of lazy players who put the slippers on after we beat Celtic even though %^*& all was won.

I don’t think we will win anything under SG.

Leaving Katic on the park then his comments about the defence after the game is a joke. Katic looked terrified when the ball came near him and should have been off at half time at the latest.

Go on, tell us how you know best and why your opinion is more valid.
This "I know better than you" shite is laughable.

Well how the season's panned out I could actually say I did know better ....both on how it's went and the reaction.

But leave that aside when there is no room for debate that's the usual personal response you get-doesn't address the point made.

I've stated long and weary his inability to change games is an example of a weakness in a new manager-that wasn't the problem today.

How is he able to come up with a perfect plan to gub the tims but he cant manage to get by the dross of the league?
Because i think he is a great motivator and captain, the big gsmes are what he thrives on. Being a great captain and being a manager are completely different things, he ca galvanise the team in the face of adversity but day to day management doesnt seem to be his thing

He brought a midfielder on - because in previous games in a winning position he failed to do so - such as Hearts.

We lost our second goal from a set piece. That isn't a formation issue.

Defending cost us 2 points today, nor Gerrard. He saw it wasn’t working and changed at HT which worked. You can obviously argue we should have started with 2 up top, but this is on the players.

Dylan who fucking cares about that.

We are Rangers fans and we need to win things.

We are not going to win anything with this team of lazy players who put the slippers on after we beat Celtic even though %^*& all was won.

I don’t think we will win anything under SG.

Yup that's the worldview of a lot of punters. It does read very childish if you read over it again.

I always took the view until we had a squad at the quality they had then inconsistency was likely. SG's has delivered on the budget he has-in Europe which has been self-financing for the club and in closing the gap.

The fact we can't catch them is almost certainly down to finance. I would suggest we can possibly argue now their French striker is better than Morelos....he cost 9x as much.

They are constantly overspending in relation to us and it is likely changing manager is not going to address that.

IF and I get it's a big if we win the Scottish cup it's not really going to stem the clamour for change. Although losing is a bigger negative than winning it is a positive-which sums up the problem.

Defending cost us 2 points today, nor Gerrard. He saw it wasn’t working and changed at HT which worked. You can obviously argue we should have started with 2 up top, but this is on the players.

Exactly.

When we lose the manager carries the can-the detail is irrelevant to an angry mob.

A failed formation changed at half time where he brought on a striker who linked well with Morelos and linked the midfield.

Rangers go 2-1 up and are dominating the game

so what does Gerrard do??? Revert back to the failed formation taking Morelos off and bringing on a midfielder

result - a draw

why change when dominating, it doesn’t make sense.
I don’t agree with a few things you post.

But this is spot on!

But leave that aside when there is no room for debate that's the usual personal response you get-doesn't address the point made.
I've stated long and weary his inability to change games is an example of a weakness in a new manager-that wasn't the problem today.

So you telling posters you are better than them doesn't warrant a personal riposte?
His weakness today was, again, failure to manage the game actually taking place in front of him.
That's his achilles heel.

I thought his decision to bring Kamberi on was a game changing decision and should have been had it not been for very poor defending.

Yup that's the worldview of a lot of punters. It does read very childish if you read over it again.

I always took the view until we had a squad at the quality they had then inconsistency was likely. SG's has delivered on the budget he has-in Europe which has been self-financing for the club and in closing the gap.

The fact we can't catch them is almost certainly down to finance. I would suggest we can possibly argue now their French striker is better than Morelos....he cost 9x as much.

They are constantly overspending in relation to us and it is likely changing manager is not going to address that.

IF and I get it's a big if we win the Scottish cup it's not really going to stem the clamour for change.

Dylan that argument doesn’t wash with me.

I said I didn’t think we would win anything unless there was major investment and he cleared some of his key players out like Tav, Goldson, Jack.
He has built his house on these players along with Kent and Morelos and they keep letting him down.

We have turned into a diddy team who raise our game against big teams but get lazy for the ordinary league games. These players have won %^*& all, like the manager has in his management career so far ,yet they keep celebrating small battles like they have won the war.
Europe apart, we are not progressing as a team and this can’t be allowed to continue.
However unless we can make a major investment in the team playing squad I don’t see things changing.

However we have not lost the silverware due to being out played by Celtic, we have lost it due to not beating Killie, St Johnstone, Hearts, Aberdeen etc

That is why fans are fucking angry and frustrated.

defence was the issue, individual errors, not the gaffer

Who picked them to play ? Who kept katic on the field ?

who put two up front , get our noses in front and then reverted back to the old system and conceded a goal and probably the title ?

0/4 trophies for gerrard , probably 0/5 .

he shouldnt survive a mentally challenged quadruple treble when he’s been here for 2 of them

Gerrard can manage in Europe that’s totally different to playing in Scotland. To me he cannot get his head round domestically and it shows. Katic should have been hooked and Morelos was terrible today really poor. All the off field stuff has got to him and I think he wants out.
Agreed. Any boardroom interference in team selection "let's keep morelos in the shop window, to keep his value" is flawed.....he's not doing anything/he's a shadow of his former self, he doesn't even pout anymore, bench him, his value is depreciating. (I thought this 2 games ago, not after Flo's performance today!)

Back