Kent’s assist rate

We've got two people that literally don't understand the stats being put in front of them.

How ironic that one of them is called brain.
Very mature. You are mis-using the stats to prove a point and making a fool of yourself.

If we played Kent as an old fashioned right winger he would do just fine. Run to the byline and cut it back. Leave the intricate stuff and the shooting to those who are good at it. Unfortunately we don't play a right winger and we are shoehorning him into a position where he looks lost.

If we played Kent as an old fashioned right winger he would do just fine. Run to the byline and cut it back. Leave the intricate stuff and the shooting to those who are good at it. Unfortunately we don't play a right winger and we are shoehorning him into a position where he looks lost.

Makes you wonder why we bought 3 or 4 wingers doesn't it. A forward 3 with 1 striker in it. Even now when the dugs in the street can see Kamberi should have started we persist with Kent who's done nothing for long enough and ruin Hagi out wide.

Very mature. You are mis-using the stats to prove a point and making a fool of yourself.

I'm doing nothing of the sort. The fact you cant interpret them properly, yet want to have an opinion on it, suggests you should probably keep quiet.

19 league games
6 goals
0 assists

contrast and compare with Forrest
26 games
10 goals
16 assists

or Christie
22 games
11 assists
11 goals (takes penalties though)

or even Mcgregor
28 games
7 goals
7 assists

Grim reading
Cold hard facts. For a Rangers forward that's damning. We all wanted Kent and he is an exciting talent but its not happening.

you just compared an ‘expected assist’ rate against an actual ‘assist’ rate?

Which bit of that are you struggling to understand? If the actual assist and expected assist are the same, that shows the attackers of one team are proficient, and the attackers of another are not. Very simple. If given the same strikers, both would have the same stats.

A lot of people with a lot to say in this thread, but clearly can't understand simple logic.

I'm doing nothing of the sort. The fact you cant interpret them properly, yet want to have an opinion on it, suggests you should probably keep quiet.
The fact that you are drawing false conclusions from the stats suggests that you should probably keep quiet.

The fact that you are drawing false conclusions from the stats suggests that you should probably keep quiet.

I can't be held responsible for your inability to comprehend some very simple statistics.

The only false conclusions are coming from the helmets that think 0 assists in 19 tells the entire story in isolation.

Which bit of that are you struggling to understand? If the actual assist and expected assist are the same, that shows the attackers of one team are proficient, and the attackers of another are not. Very simple.

A lot of people with a lot to say in this thread, but clearly can't understand simple logic.

Our attackers are not better than theirs.
Our wide players are not better than theirs.
Our midfield isn’t better than theirs.

That is what the stats show.

One of our worst performers in midfield/wide Attacking positions is Kent with about 5/6 goals and zero assists.
No matter how you try to spin that it is fucking dreadful.

Which bit of that are you struggling to understand? If the actual assist and expected assist are the same, that shows the attackers of one team are proficient, and the attackers of another are not. Very simple. If given the same strikers, both would have the same stats.

what if forrests xA was ten times higher? What would that tell you.

I can't be held responsible for your inability to comprehend some very simple statistics.

The only false conclusions are coming from the helmets that think 0 assists in 19 tells the entire story in isolation.
Quite the arrrogant, condescending type aren't you. Nobody said it was the "entire story".

Hold on, off the top of my head, he created 3 chances yesterday!
Alfredo fu*ked one
Tav fu*ked one
I think Arfield or Jack the other!
Blaming Kent because we don’t have players who can finish seem unfair, even by follow follow standards

Quite the arrrogant, condescending type aren't you. Nobody said it was the "entire story".

I'm left with no option when people choose to ignore what's put in front of them, in favour of an opinion based on nothing but a negative agenda.

what if forrests xA was ten times higher? What would that tell you.

That their strikers could be a lot better, but are still better than ours.

His xA for the period was marginally higher, but typically the chances he created were scored, it would seem.

OK, since we are all so incapable of comprehending your obvious genius. Tell me, you said above that "If the actual assist and expected assist are the same, that shows the attackers of one team are proficient, and the attackers of another are not."
How about you do a direct comparison of Kent v Forrest, assists and expected assists totals. If your claim that its all down to the finishing of other players is right, then surely their totals of Assists and Expected assists should be the same? or is it purely that Kent isn't impacting games as often as he should be and Celtic's wingers/attacking midfielders are?

Kent has little end product last season and has continued this season. He's clearly a good dribbler but seems to lack the nous to do much with it. He does attract defenders to him which in theory should leave space but I'd still expect a starting forward to do more.

Right now we need to rip this champ manager formation up and play to our players strengths.

To my mind that means Hagi in a classic 10 behind Morelos and Kamberi. Pick any other 3 midfields behind that.

If we insist upon 3 up then it's 3 strikers so that would be Kamberi, Morelos and Stewart.

If we revert to 442 or 451 then Kent can play wide with Ojo or Jones our only other winger options.

The boy's short of confidence.

Let's support him - he's delivered for us in big games.

See this is the problem

He has indeed delivered on the big occasions, 4 excellent displays vs Celtic and 2 excellent games in Europe and a cup semi vs Hearts

But apart from that, name me games where he has been excellent?

There haven't been more than a handful, we need a player who can turn it on 90% of the time, not 10% of the time which just now is what we get with Kent.

You also have to factor in Borna's assists. Every time Kent gets the ball and drags 2 or 3 defenders towards him it leaves lots of time and space for Borna to measure his crosses.
This the reason he goes inside is to allow borna to go by him

Weird how our finishing only becomes a problem when it comes to Kent having 0 assists

Doesn’t effect Borna or Tav

Tav's expected assists is 4 times higher than his actual assists.
Barisic's expected assists is 2.5 times higher than his actual assists.

Sorry it doesn't suit your agenda.

I'm left with no option when people choose to ignore what's put in front of them, in favour of an opinion based on nothing but a negative agenda.
You are trying to use one stat to say Forrest isn't a considerably better player. The more important stats, goals and actual assists, say very differently for both this season and last. We can all see with our eyes that Kent doesn't regularly create high quality chances that our forwards are constantly spurning. And when I watch Celtic's highlights I see Forrest very often getting to the byline and putting it on a plate for his teammates.

What is his xA, out of interest? That’ll give you a better idea than, what I like to call, “paper facts”.
EDIT: Just seen @Coda s post, finally some sense!!

You are trying to use one stat to say Forrest isn't a considerably better player. The more important stats, goals and actual assists, say very differently for both this season and last. We can all see with our eyes that Kent doesn't regularly create high quality chances that our forwards are constantly spurning. And when I watch Celtic's highlights I see Forrest very often getting to the byline and putting it on a plate for his teammates.

An expected assist is literally a high quality chance. Half chances don't get recorded.

The stats show that if Edouard and Griffiths are the strikers, then Kent and Forrest would have far closer stats, with Forrest still being a bit better. You can choose to ignore that if you want, you can choose to ignore xG and xA, but they tell far more about the situation than basic goal and assist stats. You've just backed up my point about people thinking they're relevant to the overall picture.

See this is the problem

He has indeed delivered on the big occasions, 4 excellent displays vs Celtic and 2 excellent games in Europe and a cup semi vs Hearts

But apart from that, name me games where he has been excellent?

There haven't been more than a handful, we need a player who can turn it on 90% of the time, not 10% of the time which just now is what we get with Kent.

Who are you thinking of that turns up for 90% of games? de Bruyne? Haland? Mbappe?

Yet both have more than 0 assists in a year.

im still waiting for the side by side stats as well. Which would conclusively prove his argument as correct.

Who are you thinking of that turns up for 90% of games? de Bruyne? Haland? Mbappe?

I will compare with our nearest competitors

Forrest, Christie, Both turn up in the vast majority of games for that lot and have telling contributions

Looking back for us, Naismith, Miller used to turn up in the vast majority

If we want to win the league, we need to have the consistency that in the vast vast majority of games, in the 90% ballpark, the players turn up and have telling contributions.

Kent very rarely does.

It is the difference between winning trophies and just winning the big games.

Kent is clearly a very quick and skilful young player who can turn on a sixpence like Michael Mols once did. On his day he is arguably the best player in the SPL. Lets give him a chance as he aint the only underachiever we have at the moment

I’d stop short of saying he’s arguably the best player in Scotland, but he needs support, both from his manager and the fans.

I didn’t think we should spent as much as £7m on him, but he can be a very dangerous player on his day.

He just looks like his confidence has completely gone, hence the support line.

I’ll be interested to see how we look when Borna is back and we’re playing something akin to a 4-4-2 with Kent wide left and Kamberi through the middle with Alfie. I think we can get a lot of joy from this.

I will compare with our nearest competitors

Forrest, Christie, Both turn up in the vast majority of games for that lot and have telling contributions

Looking back for us, Naismith, Miller used to turn up in the vast majority

If we want to win the league, we need to have the consistency that in the vast vast majority of games, in the 90% ballpark, the players turn up and have telling contributions.

Kent very rarely does.

It is the difference between winning trophies and just winning the big games.

Kent's been with us for 18 months - the players you mention have all had time to settle in - and are/were playing for Title winning teams. Completely different circumstances.

Kent's struggling for form but patience and support will help.

You also have to factor in Borna's assists. Every time Kent gets the ball and drags 2 or 3 defenders towards him it leaves lots of time and space for Borna to measure his crosses.
Makes me want to smash my head in a wall when people don’t realise this and keep using stats...

Would like to see more from him, but don’t think it’s the complete picture for him. The way we play he’s unlikely to have high numbers of assists and so much goes through the fullback.

Assists also rely on the person on the other end actually getting the ball in the back of the net.

More to come from Kent. He’s a talent and a great player. I’m not convinced we’re playing the best system to get the best from him.

Quite often seems to me that when Kent has the ball or our other wide attack that they’ve got nothing to hit when they’ve got the ball on the wing. Against packed defences we aren’t going to see the best from him the way we are playing.

Kent's been with us for 18 months - the players you mention have all had time to settle in - and are/were playing for Title winning teams. Completely different circumstances.

Kent's struggling for form but patience and support will help.

As you say, Kent has been with us for 18 months.

How long do you want to give it? 4 years, 5 years?

Plenty players take time to settle, no issue with that, infact I have been one who in the past has specifically said I wouldn't really a judge a player until he has had 6 months at us.

The reason Kent isn't in a title winning team, is because he nor his team mates turn up for the amount of games it takes to win titles.

It is specifically our problem.

Your suggesting these players turn up then?

If your comparing these players to their value of the leagues they're playing in then Kent has to be in the same bracket,their leagues have an abundance of quality,high priced players whose wealth far exceeds ours so in that case Kent is 1 of the most valuable players in our league playing against mediocre defences and midfields of a much less value than him so I would say if those players you suggest can play to their value for 90% of the time against tougher,better and considerably more valuable players than ours then why can't Kent do it?

He's nowhere near the player we thought he was if he can't produce the goods against the majority of players he comes up against and he can't,simple as that

He needs dropped as well as others if they don't produce,others should get a chance because something needs to change

Just seen that Kent has 0 assists in the full calendar year. Form has took a serious nose dive since he signed, 7 million pounds isn’t a lot for most clubs these days but it’s a serious outlay for us. Hope he gets back to what he does best soon but I don’t see it happening while continuing to play this narrow number 10 role
He set 4 up yesterday not his fault his team mates couldn’t finish them.

Picks the ball up 40 yards out far too often. He’s been very poor recently
Seems to come deeper and deeper, then passes sideways or backwards. Main reason for this is he's short of confidence and when played in this weird "10" that we play him in he's starved of space. He's generally not a great passer of the ball so will do nothing 40 yards out

The only person with an ‘agenda’ in this thread is you

xA is meaningless in the context of results.
Morelos misses some amount of simple one on ones but we don’t hear how it’s alright because it adds to his xG stats

It’s simple. If our forwards were as bad as you’re making out it wouldn’t matter how many assists are expected from Borna or Tav because they simply wouldn’t score

It’s not just some freak coincidence that Kent hasn’t had an assist in the league for over a year. Especially when we’ve probably been the highest scoring team in that year

Football isnt won on should, or would, its won with cold hard decisive statistics like Goals Scored, Assists et al.

If Messi scored 50 in a season, but Ronaldo scored 25, but Ronaldo had x less chances - who would win the golden boot?
If Kent assisted 0 and scored 6 - Forrest created 15 and scored 15 (cant recall the actual numbers) who is more effective and influencing game winning moments more?
Thats the basic principle of this argument, we arent looking for Einstein or Sheldon Cooper - we are looking at facts.

Back