The Europa Cup draw - Rangers v Bayern Leverkeusen

Our recent record against German sides is actually pretty decent over the last 25 years where we’ve won just as many as we’ve lost.

It tends to follow the pattern of a home win, but an away defeat so we may need to rectify that if we want to progress.

The only time we actually won in Germany during that time though was, as you’ve probably guessed, against Leverkusen.

Barry Ferguson master class that night,

I think the games will pan out similarly to the Braga ties, I think they will attack high up the pitch and are apt to give us chances.

Very tough draw but why not - we've come this far.

No one has beaten us at home either since he took over.

Some amount of panty wetting mate.

I couldn't even tell you their manager or one single player.

They are good GW, but I don’t fear them.

I saw them beat Dortmund about 3 weeks ago but Dortmund committed defensive suicide to be honest.

Could be a high scoring tie. 4,3 Bears:D

For the people saying ‘they’re fifth,’ they are only 6 points behind Bayern and 2 behind Dortmund - closer than us to Celt*c.

They also beat Bayern 2-1 away from home in November.

For the people saying ‘they’re fifth,’ they are only 6 points behind Bayern and 2 behind Dortmund - closer than us to Celt*c.

They also beat Bayern 2-1 away from home in November.
They beat Dortmund recently as well.

It's far from the worst draw we could've gotten but it's a big test. Havertz is an unbelievable player.

I think we need a win at home then we could hopefully get a draw over there but if we dont win at home then it would be very difficult to go through

Last time.
Says to wife (no pics) how do you fancy a city break to Cologne. She agrees.
Drive to Newcastle, ferry, (Gadger and daughter on ferry) wife points out the Rangers shirt, no comment from me.
Drive to Cologne, then Leverkusen then it clicked with her. Managed to get a room above a pub near the stadium.
Went down for a meal and the place slowly started to fill up for the impromptu Sash Bash.
Off to the game, excellent win with a cracking rendition of Build my Gallows.
Next couple of days in Koln, an expensive Steiff Bear purchased to compensate for me being devious.
Drive home.

Hope the travelling Bears have a very good trip.

Very naughty boy CRI36:D

A hard draw but looking forward to it. At least for the travelling bears Germany is a good place to watch football

Didn’t really want any of the German teams.

However it wasn’t going to be anything but tough so we just go in and do our best. We’ll have our chances.

I’ll wager that they’re thinking ‘it coulda been easier’ too.

Any team who under estimate Rangers Football Club are in for a big fall. History is their warning.

Last time.
Says to wife (no pics) how do you fancy a city break to Cologne. She agrees.
Drive to Newcastle, ferry, (Gadger and daughter on ferry) wife points out the Rangers shirt, no comment from me.
Drive to Cologne, then Leverkusen then it clicked with her. Managed to get a room above a pub near the stadium.
Went down for a meal and the place slowly started to fill up for the impromptu Sash Bash.
Off to the game, excellent win with a cracking rendition of Build my Gallows.
Next couple of days in Koln, an expensive Steiff Bear purchased to compensate for me being devious.
Drive home.

Hope the travelling Bears have a very good trip.

:))

Very hard draw. Not a glamour tie, what do you think the ticket price will be £45?
A team that is near the top of the Bundesliga table is certainly a 'glamour tie'.

Leverkusen have beaten both Bayern and Dortmund this season and have just dropped down from the Champions League.

Tough draw. We will cause any teams in the competition at this stage problems though. Just a case of taking our chances when we get them. Always confident of scoring away with this team.

No question, we will create enough chances to win the tie and they will too. No need to be afraid. Cool heads and put the ball in the net. All is possible with this one and being underdogs is just fine.

The more I read about Leverkusen the better they seem. At least they didn't beat Juve, and they only had 25% possession when they beat Bayern away. Clutching at straws for positives here! They still seem pretty much the same kind of test as Braga though.

The more I read about Leverkusen the better they seem. At least they didn't beat Juve, and they only had 25% possession when they beat Bayern away. Clutching at straws for positives here! They still seem pretty much the same kind of test as Braga though.
TBH it's a very similar level to Werder Bremen in 2008 (which was also the last 16).

Watched them beat Dortmund 4-3 a couple of weeks back they have some terrific players but are prone to be a bit shady at the back.
We should not fear them.

Volland will be a huge loss for them imo.

They've scored 40 goals in the league and he's scored 9 and assisted 7 of them. That's 40% of their goals.

Of course that's over 23 games and we'll only be playing them twice, but still...

TBH it's a very similar level to Werder Bremen in 2008 (which was also the last 16).

No chance, this Leverkusen side are far superior. They've beaten Atletico, Bayern, Dortmund and Porto home and away this season so far and sit six points off the bundesliga title

Tough draw but they do concede quite a few goals in the league, just over 1 goal per game, only a +11 goal difference. Hopefully they push for the league to try and get champions league places and rest players in the europa :p

Back