Braga businesses thank Gers fans

Bonnyloyal

Braga businesses have thanked Rangers fans after their visit to the Portuguese city provided a cash boon for struggling local coffers.

The Ibrox club's 6000 strong legion of fans spent so much on their travels to support Steven Gerrard 's men that they replicated the takings of an entire season in just a few days.

And their custom was a godsend to struggling Portuguese traders who were delighted with the extra business at an out-of-season time of year.

Manager of Cafe Vianna, Mario Pereira, said: "Rangers fans were extremely good for trade for us. This is an extremely difficult month here with the weather and lack of tourists.

"The Scots coming here saved the entire winter and gave us the same takings for the whole season

"It wasn't just the day of the game either. Many were here for several days and plenty were in Braga until the weekend

"The fans were having fun and spending money. It wasn't just the bars and cafes who won, it was the taxi drivers, supermarkets and the shopping malls.

"The entire city of Braga benefited hugely from this.

"We allowed the fans to have a party after the game and I think they appreciated that. It was important to welcome their supporters because afterwards they return with their families."

And Cafe Italia manager, Gianluca Giampaolo added: "It was great for the local commercial economy and those supporters will return here for a holiday as simple tourists later.

"Those football fans have given us a huge boost."

From what I've read Braga have appreciated the visit, and been very helpful re tickets, food and drink, only thing that their not happy about was the score.

Any city in Europe we land in benefits. They sit back and let us get on with having a good time. Their welcoming, friendly approach is replicated by the support.

It’s not difficult unless you’re a demented, envious Scotsman (plastic Irish) with a grudge against Rangers.

Our fans are the best in the world. Great that the traders of Braga also felt that this should be highlighted from the travelling support. Well done to every Rangers fan who made the effort to travel and spend their hard earned money there too.

After visiting both Porto and Braga this season I have to say that the Portuguese are some of the friendliest, most hospitable folk I’ve encountered on a European football away trip. Whether it’s bar staff, restaurants, taxi drivers or opposition fans, all great. So it’s good to see a positive report in the media. A few baton-happy robocops at the field next to the stadium but overall, the police were good too.

PS. Lots of handshaking and high fiving with the locals during the march too as they stood at the sides generally watching in awe, videoing etc, So if Portugal has Corona we‘re f*cked :cool:

Latest posts

Back