Rangers open transfer talks with Lens over Oscar Cortes

He looked promising but as usual folk were going over the top with their praise. Worth taking him on loan again though to get another look.
Spot on. He played what, half a dozen games, most of them as a sub? In the same timeframe folk were also raving about Silva.

We’d need to firstly see how Cortes recovers from injury, and secondly, whether or not he can sustain that promise.

Another season’s loan would be ideal, but only if he’ll be fit for the start of pre season. If not, I’d be looking elsewhere.

I would be delighted if we can keep him, he showed promise and I was gutted he got injured.

The fact he is still in Scotland and was at the awards last week would suggest a deal will be made.

Tying him and Sima down would be our flanks sorted for next season.

Don’t think we saw enough to properly judge.

Some flashes or good, some not so.
People thought Silva looked good at the same time.

Probably overhyped as a result of being compared against the other garbage/options for wide positions.

Really liked what we saw from Cortes but it wasn't a massive sample size as such. Another loan-with-option really makes the most sense, particularly coming off the injury.

Cortes and Sima either side of a new striker could be a fabulous start to our rebuild.

No doubt about the guys quality but do we never learn regarding injuries and his seems to have been quite a serious one in terms of future impact.

From what I've seen, including when he was in Colombia, he is the type of player we should be signing. Technically good, decent pace and wants to score goals. Yes, his injury means we should be looking for an initial loan deal, but he could be a real asset for us.

The interesting (exciting) part for me was that we had scouted him when he was still in Colombia. This is the type of market we should be looking at - hopefully we will be looking at more from this region.

From what I've seen, including when he was in Colombia, he is the type of player we should be signing. Technically good, decent pace and wants to score goals. Yes, his injury means we should be looking for an initial loan deal, but he could be a real asset for us.

The interesting (exciting) part for me was that we had scouted him when he was still in Colombia. This is the type of market we should be looking at - hopefully we will be looking at more from this region.

The downside with signing players from this region , as we saw with Morelos, is that we are at these countries' mercy if they want to call up and haul our players all over the world for tinpot friendlies.

Depending in the deal it seems fairly low risk as we know he has quality, whether he kicks on like Dio or less so like Silva remains to be seen.

John Brown is a big fan though, which says something.

Need to be careful.

Bad hamstring injuries tend to have recurring issues, and we can’t keep signing players like that.
Yep. He looked good, but we need to be so careful from now on with where we invest money. Signing players based on the "once we get him fit and firing" ideal version of themselves is no use if they're going to end up like Roofe or Ramsey. That player is no use if his average status is "still injured but theoretically he's the best defender/striker at the club."

If we can get him on a loan again or some other deal involving him meeting certain conditions, and it's not costing us too much, I'm in, but we really need to watch out.

After the season we've had. We need to be careful signing injured players.
A more affordable* option than Sima but I would doubt he scores as many.

Last edited:
Got to be another loan deal, basically an extension of his original deal. Looked good in his few appearances but really need to see more to make a proper opinion. We've seen loan players fall away after a bright start all too often.

Our new recruitment team brought Cortes in on loan, young player with excellent potential to develop and sell on for profit. Cortes, then impressed on a short sample size admittedly, FF response is we need to see more of him before committing to buying him .

Mental

It was pleasing to see that he settled quickly and didn’t need ‘easing in’. Likewise Diomande.

Ideally a loan with an option but I suspect Lens will want a definite sale in the Summer.

Cortes came from a much better league than Lammers flopped in and moved to.

Why would you choose a player who was shite in this league already over one that wasn't based on 4 months in their whole careers when one was out injured?
....l I wouldn't.

I want Cortes.

Obviously. Lammers is happy where he is back in Holland and by all accounts doesn't look like he will want to return for which he has our blessing. I wish him well at his next club.

But if his form continues we could be selling Lammers for £5m in the summer if we get the right buyer.

I don't think we will spend that much to get Cortes. So I wouldn't offer Lammers to get Cortes in a swap. Lammers is worth more at this moment on the open market. He is THE form player in Holland right now and that is the sort of form that could even give him an outside chance at an international call-up.

If expect to sell Lammers and have enough to buy Cortes and have some to spare.

Hopefully we can get something sorted and he comes back ok from the injury.
Him and Yilmaz getting injured was the big change that turned everything to shit.

I liked what I seen from the lad in a short amount of games.

If the fee is low then I would buy him as he has potential.

Cortes, Diomande, Sima (if we can get him) and Jefte would be a decent start to our summer overhaul.

We really need a starting CB, pivot MF and clinical ST to form a strong base and foundation for next season.

Hopefully with his injury we can lower the price or get him on loan for another season. If he stays fit (I know B-) ) he could be an important player for us.

Depending in the deal it seems fairly low risk as we know he has quality, whether he kicks on like Dio or less so like Silva remains to be seen.

John Brown is a big fan though, which says something.
£4m for a player who has played the equivalent of 3 games worth of football for us and then out for the season with a serious injury is about a big a gamble as you can take. It might be the right move but I wouldn't say its low risk.

No chance we are spending over £4m on Cortes.

Lens bought him for only £3.74m and he has hardly set the heather alight since his move.

For the record though I though he looked very good in the games he played.

Tbf I didn't read it, thought it'd be closer to £2m.
Don't think there is any figure for sure. When he was signed it was rumoured option would be 4 million euros so can't see it being much less than that if we are looking to buy. Some are saying it might be another loan which would make more sense.

Out for months with a muscle injury.

No.

No.

Just no.

Can we try and actually sign fit, robust players. Stop this madness.

Back