Aberdeen face losing up to £5M and are "fighting for their future" as Coronavirus crisis deepens

bVkq1zW.gif

This shows how fragile finances must be in Scottish football.

I'm pretty sure every club will be using the government initiatives to make up salaries for the majority of their staff as well.

Unfortunately this just illustrates the magnitude of our potential short fall as well.

Maybe I’m being naive, but how so?

Surely our TV money will still be there. Our merchandising should be affected too much (of what we get anyway).

Ticket sales I would have thought wouldn't be too bad considering the vast majority of our ticket sales are already taken up by season tickets.

Now we won’t be paying appearance / goal bonuses etc. and we would have been paying standard wages anyway.

We also won’t be paying steward and policing costs, not electricity etc.

Plus our water costs are free as we steal it from the local church.

Maybe I’m being naive, but how so?

Surely our TV money will still be there. Our merchandising should be affected too much (of what we get anyway).

Ticket sales I would have thought wouldn't be too bad considering the vast majority of our ticket sales are already taken up by season tickets.

Now we won’t be paying appearance / goal bonuses etc. and we would have been paying standard wages anyway.

We also won’t be paying steward and policing costs, not electricity etc.

Plus our water costs are free as we steal it from the local church.

I assume by TV money you are referring to the Europa League money. Not sure if this is dished out per round or is paid out once the competition is completed? Is there a danger of this not being paid, or a certain percentage of it, because it might not be completed?

On the contrary, I think you are naive to think we will ride this out without any problems. I don't think it's wise to laugh up our cuff at other teams.

Any business model relies on future income streams. We have no certainty with any at the minute and like businesses throughout the country, wages and bills will need to be paid in the short term.

Are we going to be okay until this all blows over, would it be sensible to ask people to take wage cuts to help the club at this tough time?

Much as I don’t like them, and might even a couple of weeks ago have shared the sentiment expressed by many on here, I confess that I take no pleasure in seeing anyone suffer at the moment. This Coronavirus is absolutely awful - for the health and lives of so many and for the jobs and prosperity of so many people in our country.

Back