The old Rangers end at the Piggery

Remember a game that we got beat 3-0 I think a couple sent off inc Souness but what i do remember is the police trying to remove a massive Union Flag from the Rangers end and the bears standing firm and throwing out any polis that came in.
Some wee mentally challenged looking bastard with scrmabled egg on his hat was directing police from trackside. He told one young cop to get in amongst it and looked like the cop told him to basically %^*& off or after you. Was quite funny.
mentally challengeds sent ball boys out with buckets to pick up the coins that were getting lobbed
I was there that day, i thought it was an Ulster flag they tried to remove, police were literally chased off the terracing.

There used to be a toilet under the Gers end, a long narrow place with slab urinals on either side and a cubicle at the top end. Was in at half time , place was mobbed. Suddenly the door in the cubicle flies open, bear with his jeans and drawers at his ankles sitting on the pan, shouts out " anyone got a Celtc View handy??" Brilliant memories.

I’m sure the Filth had small wooden huts at the back selling pies etc, one game one of them get wrecked and the pies were getting passed about with the bears

I cant remember if it was at the Piggery or Hampden when we scored there was a cloud of dust that would rise from the dirt/rubble underfoot
Hampden

I'm glad I experienced it as well, the New Year game of 94 was out of this world,.3 up after half an hour. I've heard stories of poets getting in after 5 mins had passed, hearing they were 2 down and heading straight out :))

We had a full 50 seater heading to that game, more than the local mhank club could muster.
My first game there and also my first New Year when I could drink legally ;) remember after the 1st goal our end goes mental, once everyone eventually settles down I turn to speak to my mate only to discover I was 20 yds further down the terracing from where I had started:))

It was fairly easy to get in without a ticket Especially Janfield st. Entrance.
I know a few guys who had tickets but used to sneak in just for the fun of it,they would then slide ticket back under the gate for someone else to use

Reactions: SSR
They never got half at Ibrox and we never did at the piggery from my recollection. 1962 was a couple of years before I started to go to games so maybe it was different then....
We did get near 50% up to the mid seventies and they also got similar up to the early seventies.
The video of the 1971 3-2 defeat at Ibrox shows their support up to the half way line in the Derry.
The main stand was only about a third at both grounds with very little segregation between the fans.

We did get near 50% up to the mid seventies and they also got similar up to the early seventies.
The video of the 1971 3-2 defeat at Ibrox shows their support up to the half way line in the Derry.
The main stand was only about a third at both grounds with very little segregation between the fans.
We got 22000 in the Rangers end at their ground plus 5000 in their main stand for a while during the late 70’s and early 80’s

I mind the manky toilets, I started going also as a teenager mid late 80s

I only ever remember them getting the broomloan. Hibs hearts and utd. Sheep. Would also fill one tier off broomloan.

Nearly got lifted when someone behind me let a rocket go the cops thought it was me . My mate was going mental calling him everything silly git was making it much worse. Got searched no matches or anything and told “we are watching you”. :D
It was fantastic but not so fantastic when the rain of bottles came down from the headbangers at the back. They were never reaching the track never mind the pitch.
Millers last minute winner fücking bedlam most goals were brilliant but that one was something else.
Was there that day. Fcking mental magic.

Were you ever at these games in the sixties and early seventies you talk about or did you just watch them on video. Just asking.

You could sometimes end up 20 yards away from where you originally stood after a goal celebration :))
I remember ending up 20 yards down that terracing once when we didn’t even score, Coop hit the post up at their end and the guys up the back of our end leaned forward, the crowd surged and you just had to go with it, trying to stand your ground was a no-no.
Think we got a draw that game despite getting two men sent off, the chant was “yeez couldnae beat nine men, yeez couldnae beat nine men....”.

I remember going and you could walk out the ground at half time go to the cream vans and go back into the ground without any bother , one time I sen a guy throw a half filled bottle of strike cola from the Rangers end towards the jungle and there was a gap between the two stands that the cops used to stand in and this unlucky polis had come out from behind the stand walking pitch wards and wallop right off the side of his dome it went , knocked him clean out ‍♂

I had my nose broken when idiots in our own support started throwing bottles after that mob scored. I turned around to talk to one of mates and was smacked full on in the coupon. :mad:

We got 22000 in the Rangers end at their ground plus 5000 in their main stand for a while during the late 70’s and early 80’s
Their main when it was rebuilt in 1971 had a capacity of 9 thousand, and our allocation was down to the line of the penalty box in the late 80's (post 61).
Before then it may have been closer to the half way line in the seventies.

B8ENkHjCYAAhbKy
That was the St.johnstone game Scottish cup semi ffs
the op is talking about the old Rangers end at the piggery my 1st game their was when butcher scored.

Were you ever at these games in the sixties and early seventies you talk about or did you just watch them on video. Just asking.
I've been going to Rangers home and away since 1967, and I have stood in the jungle section we used to get on a number of occasions uptil the mid seventies, after that it was always from the Rangers end.
The picture I have with Colin Stein is from a game in 1972 v Stirling Albion, my late dad is in the background who attended games with me for over thirty years.

we played St J that day in semi final , was always wary when leaving the Saville arena , you went out and went outside and round a tight walkway with a shit brick wall waiting on it collapsing before hitting stairs , always walked at stadium and not wall side.

Used to have the whole Rangers end and then part of the jungle and half main stand. Think the last time we had the jungle was Glasgow cup final in Aug 76.
I generally enjoyed the Rangers end at Parkhead because of the Bears. But I remember a game in 88 we went 1 up with a penalty. When the decison and goal was scored I couldnt move because we were so crushed. Guys fainting etc. Ironically later that season was Hillsborough.

I had my nose broken when idiots in our own support started throwing bottles after that mob scored. I turned around to talk to one of mates and was smacked full on in the coupon. :mad:
There was a young lad badly injured/ killed by a bottle. Must have been just before the alcohol ban 79/80

Had a right few running battles with them in the graveyard behind the jungle after a the games.
A few wins and more than a few second prizes. :))

I've only been lifted twice in my life, both times as a teenager at their dump. The crates of Irn Bru in local shop that were emptied to use as missiles and weapons against that mob was unreal. I've put it all behind me now, naturally. :D

I've been going to Rangers home and away since 1967, and I have stood in the jungle section we used to get on a number of occasions uptil the mid seventies, after that it was always from the Rangers end.
The picture I have with Colin Stein is from a game in 1972 v Stirling Albion, my late dad is in the background who attended games with me for over thirty years.
Cool. I've been going since 1964. The last time I was in the jungle was a league or league cup game in 1974 which we lost. Joe Mason was playing midfield that day.

I remember ending up 20 yards down that terracing once when we didn’t even score, Coop hit the post up at their end and the guys up the back of our end leaned forward, the crowd surged and you just had to go with it, trying to stand your ground was a no-no.
Think we got a draw that game despite getting two men sent off, the chant was “yeez couldnae beat nine men, yeez couldnae beat nine men....”.
I think that game was the one where the casuals first made the press. Photo in the Evening Times of a group of guys in the Rangers end with ski hats.

There was a young lad badly injured/ killed by a bottle. Must have been just before the alcohol ban 79/80

It was around or just before that time, mate. Newcastle Brown and Pomagne bottles were all the rage to be thrown around at football matches.

Reactions: SSR
I read somewhere that up until the late 60s/early 70s, they would cram as many as 27k into the Rangers end.

Wish I'd been one of them.
it might have been 27k including the enclosure imo---- I think then it was it was 23k then there was no enclosure and a bit of our end was shut at the stand side and they shaved a couple of thousands and it ended 18.5 k

My first game there and also my first New Year when I could drink legally ;) remember after the 1st goal our end goes mental, once everyone eventually settles down I turn to speak to my mate only to discover I was 20 yds further down the terracing from where I had started:))
Lived in new flats at North Woodside road next to tall flats at Georges Road ,waiting on lift and went to get ticket and fukin cat --(called William) had fukin chewed it to fuk . was raging and never went , went to bed in a rage --got up and went to shop at 3.20 and someone is hanging out tall flats shouting its 3-0 to gers ---fuk that got in car with £50 , not missing this for the world --got in at 4.30 for last 15 --brilliant

Not sure when we stopped giving them tickets for our Main Stand but I can recall scuffles on the concourse in the 80s.

First time there new year 1968 2 2 draw John fallon in goal for them let in two howlers after the second one I landed about 20 yards away from my mates

I fell during a goal celebration at a game in the late 80s. I remember looking up and this big fella was holding people back, making sure I got up ok. Big guy, long dark hair, long dark beard. I’ll forever be grateful to him.

Yes it was great when we won and it’s great to reminisce but if we are all honest it was a fucking death trap, I’m amazed no one died in that shithole.

Cool. I've been going since 1964. The last time I was in the jungle was a league or league cup game in 1974 which we lost. Joe Mason was playing midfield that day.
I think the game you are talking about was a 3-1 defeat in the league September 1972, John Greig scored.
74 game was the game McDougal and Jackson scored for us.
Nearly 50 years ago Joe Mason a name from the past, well remembered.

Back