Alves

westfieldbear235

this guy came with big reputation and a shit load of experiance do we think he has done it for us since his arrival ... he made comment about needing to play to hopefully get to the world cup .... but not on last nights 1st half showing whats the bears opinion of him so far ?

Awful first half, excellent second half last night. Other than that he’s been solid enough.

Wins headers - more than anybody lose in the league apparently - something we’ve needed for years. Good organiser and loves a backs-to-the-wall challenge like last night. Not so effective when dealing with fast breaks, which isn’t entirely unexpected given his age and playing style..

He's not so good one on one as was seen for the first goal, but in terms of winning his Arial battles he's tremendous and we needed those qualities last night in that second half.

He got a two year contract. Can’t see him still being here next season.

I like him but think he plays within himself a lot of the time.

Great in the air. Average at everything else, and a little rash in the challenge at times in a country where Rangers players are prone to ridiculous red cards. Big Marvin was a similar player, but better for us (not saying he’s a better player overall, before I get bombarded with Alves’s achievements in football)

He was asleep last night for Hibs goal but let’s not let that disguise the fact that he has improved our defence overall. Leadership qualities, clearing out high balls, positioning and in general his defending has been good. I’d still have him as first pick centre half in our team. Wilson performs better alongside him too.

Awful first half, excellent second half last night. Other than that he’s been solid enough.

Wins headers - more than anybody lose in the league apparently - something we’ve needed for years. Good organiser and loves a backs-to-the-wall challenge like last night. Not so effective when dealing with fast breaks, which isn’t entirely unexpected given his age and playing style..
spot on with that

To be honest, i think he is done and said as much to my Dad (granted this was after 40 mins and we should have been 3 down).

He will eat headers up all day and did in the second half and can certainly marshal the defence. But ball on the deck and he is a worry. For their goal the striker peeled off with a basic run and Alves was slow to react and then get on top of him. He turned into the danger area and that was that. He should never had been allowed to do that so easily.

In saying that, Wilson seems to excel playing beside him (like he did with Weir).

If his rumoured weekly wage is true then we could get far better value.

Fair comment re first half OP but what about the second half showing? He marshalled th defence superbly.

Reactions: 8-1
Laughable some of crap people post. the first goal Murray miles faster than alves so gets in behind Wilson try's to step up and play off side 1st mistake.alves gets back goal side jockeys Murray.stevenson standing for an age at the edge of the box, 2nd mistake barjonas and mccrorie nowhere.alves try's to block Stevenson even though Murray is his man deflects it and it goes in.

Just watched the highlights on Rtv , he was influential in getting that result , mentioned as much as any other player. It’s not an accident that Bates, Wilson and McCrorie have played well this season they train with a guy who has been around the block and will learn.

He was very poor in the first half, but he was immense in the second. Won everything in the air and kept the back 5 in shape.

I really don't know what people are expecting from Alves. He had a poor 45 minutes last night and people were calling for him to get sold. He's the most talented and experienced player in the SPL by a mile. Had a great second half last night as well. Needed his experience with Bates and Wilson at the back with him.

Bang average on a massive wage and shite shoes
Can leave anytime he likes

Won't be missed

He really would be missed. Give me Alves at the back ahead of any of our other centre halfs any day. He was poor int he firts half, and his lack of pace does worry me, but he is still our best centre half by a distance.

I really don't know what people are expecting from Alves. He had a poor 45 minutes last night and people were calling for him to get sold. He's the most talented and experienced player in the SPL by a mile. Had a great second half last night as well. Needed his experience with Bates and Wilson at the back with him.
The most talented player in the SPL?

jesus, one bad half and people are queing up to stick the boot into the guy, if we didnt have him last night we'd have probably conceded again.

our fans will get on players backs so quick. doing well in my opinion remember he's had two injuries and he's 35.

We are a better team with him in it.
I think he brings a level of confidence, and can be intimidating to opposition players before a ball is kicked due to his reputation which is something we’ve badly missed in recent years.

Our defence looks a lot more organised this season got to think a lot of that this down to Alves experience. 1st half he was as poor as I have seen him got done at the goal and gave the ball away more than usual. Second half I thought he was commanding. Worth noting he started off the 2nd goal standing up to th hibs striker.

Incredible... Clearly the best CB at the club. I think we need Cardoso back to add a bit more pace at the back than Wilson does.

He had a bad 1st half but was so much better 2nd. I for one wouldn't want to lose him.

In the summer folk on here said we signed a World Class defender :D
Yeh folk were getting far too carried away when he signed. He's a qaulity centre half, but you can see his age has had an affect on his play. Still a valuable member of the team though and definitely a good signing.

Think he is our best centre half at club. He did play in conferdations cup for Portugal in summer so hasn’t really had a break

So what I've read so far

Average
Tremendous
Can leave
What we need
Like Marvin Andrews
FF in a nutshell, the truth is probably somewhere in between.
He struggles with fast, direct forwards but is excellent doing a backs to the wall type of display, our defence just looks more organised when he is there, he improves Wilson quite a bit I reckon.

Bang average on a massive wage and shite shoes
Can leave anytime he likes

Won't be missed

You are clueless.

His leadership and organisation is there to see. He wins everything in the air. It is simple if he had any pace he would not be here.

He had a mare at the goal , backed off and then backed off some more .

That aside ,he wasn't great but he wasn't terrible in the first half.

He was a colossus in the second , take him out of the equation and I don't think we hold out.

Don't know what people were expecting. We signed a veteran defender who was here to organise the defence.

He does that and he is our best defender by a country mile.

The problem was (typically) that people built him up to be some kind of Robocop figure that was going to dominate and impose on every game and smash Scott Brown into the bargain.

It's not quite happened like that, and whereas he is our best defender he's not lived up to the hysterical expectations.

Also think of the experience he's passing on to the likes if mccorie and Bates will be great for them in the future, imo has just an old school defender who does just that has never going to go amo like runs

It's his heart rather than his ability that i question.

If he is unhappy then he can leave but he would be a miss to the squad.

To be honest, i think he is done and said as much to my Dad (granted this was after 40 mins and we should have been 3 down).

He will eat headers up all day and did in the second half and can certainly marshal the defence. But ball on the deck and he is a worry. For their goal the striker peeled off with a basic run and Alves was slow to react and then get on top of him. He turned into the danger area and that was that. He should never had been allowed to do that so easily.

In saying that, Wilson seems to excel playing beside him (like he did with Weir).

If his rumoured weekly wage is true then we could get far better value.
Actually though was Wilson that was doing most of the organising. Since he has came back hasn't put a foot wrong,got to give credit when due. Was very disappointed in Alves got the feeling in first half wasn't happy to be there.

Actually though was Wilson that was doing most of the organising. Since he has came back hasn't put a foot wrong,got to give credit when due. Was very disappointed in Alves got the feeling in first half wasn't happy to be there.

Wilson is showing the form he did before he went to Liverpool. Also chipped in with important goals.

He’s been fine.

He’s looked like exactly what he is, an international level defender, coming to the end of his career, who never really had much pace but is still fantastic at the things he does well like heading, clearing his lines and marshalling the defence.

here's a question, if any of wilson/mccrorie.cardoso , had a poor first half like that last night, do you think they'd come out and be as good as bruno was in the second half? i don't think so.

he showed a good reaction to a poor dispaly first half

I don’t know what games people are watching to think Alves is shite & we won’t miss him.

Honestly, how can you watch football every week and come to that opinion?

Without Alves last night, we’d of lost that game. He was poor for the 1st goal, but other than that? Outstanding.

This. 1 million per cent.

The first half showing was a low point for him but to get your head together and redeem yourself in that poisonous cesspit the way he did is very admirable indeed. Only a player truly confident in his own ability can do that.

Back