Alves

You are clueless.

His leadership and organisation is there to see. He wins everything in the air. It is simple if he had any pace he would not be here.

I'm not clueless.
I have an opinion which differs from yours.

He is not world class, but he is good. He was most definitely guilty of being either too lazy or too slow for the hibs goal, but he certainly brings calmness and organisation to the defence.

He's not so good one on one as was seen for the first goal, but in terms of winning his Arial battles he's tremendous and we needed those qualities last night in that second half.

What did he do wrong at the first goal? He stopped a cross along the 6 yard box or if he dived in he might have been beaten and the player would been in on goal or he could have given away a penalty. He stood up and sent the guy into traffic and if the person that stopped tracking the scorer had done they wouldn't have scored.

He is not world class, but he is good. He was most definitely guilty of being either too lazy or too slow for the hibs goal, but he certainly brings calmness and organisation to the defence.
Obviously he is not world class. He is playing for us in the SPFL.

Did anyone expect a world class player? Really?

Obviously he is not world class. He is playing for us in the SPFL.

Did anyone expect a world class player? Really?
In his pomp he is way above SPFL level.

Anyone who can't see he is an international class defender who is having his swansong knows nothing about the game .

What did he do wrong at the first goal? He stopped a cross along the 6 yard box or if he dived in he might have been beaten and the player would been in on goal or he could have given away a penalty. He stood up and sent the guy into traffic and if the person that stopped tracking the scorer had done they wouldn't have scored.

His biggest - and most obvious mistake at the goal - was in hesitating before going to challenge the Hibbee. He was caught looking over his shoulder for a Linesman's flag that never came and never was coming. Had he gone for the ball without the hesitation he'd either have got to it first or been in a position to challenge for it without having to face up to the guy.

Exactly. Defend as a team. He did his part, let down by others not tracking back. Also the only Rangers player to react in the box to try to block the shot.

Actually though was Wilson that was doing most of the organising. Since he has came back hasn't put a foot wrong,got to give credit when due. Was very disappointed in Alves got the feeling in first half wasn't happy to be there.

Hasn't put a foot wrong? Other than shitting out of a challenge that led to Ross County's goal at weekend you mean?

But on Alves, absolutely awful in lead up to their goal last night. Genuinely stunned at how slow he looked. But I thought 2nd half he was much better and helped keep a relative calmness despite the fact we were under the cosh.

I think he's getting a bit of harsh criticism tbf. Didn't have his best game first half sure, but for the goal, he had Rocky Dennis running at him he ushered him to the by line No point lunging in when you've got someone running at you in the box. Forced him to play the ball out, which he then charged down Stevenson and tried to block the shot. Would he be getting this much criticism if it had deflected wide?

2nd half much improved and marshalled our defence brilliantly in the latter stages. The guy seems to win headers with ease continuously, almost as if they are uncontested. I believe has been a brilliant addition that the likes of bates, mcrorie, wilson can learn a lot from while he's here.

Rangers should be doing more here

Alves in the first half resembled Lee McCulloch 3 year ago.

Even after the goal there were 2 situations where a Hibs player was looking at goal and Alves was running from behind them to clear. He was that out of position snd struggling to keep up.

I dont think Alves is a player thats had injury lay offs. He is looking very chunky and unfit compared to the start of the season. But thats the same start of the season where the same Simon Murray bullied him.

Graham Murty in his press conference should be commenting that he's trying to get fit after injury niggles and is struggling for full fitness. If thats what it is, not just being old.

During the Ross County debacle of a first half I and others around me commented he wasnt talking to anyone or looking to motivate.

Who did Graham Murty on RTV point to as last nights half time motivator. Danny Wilson.

He absolutely has not contributed what I thought we would get from a lion of a player in his Zenit and Fenerbahce days.

If teams are just going to spend all day punting balls in the box, he will win them though. So will David Bates and Danny Wilson.

He definitely hasn't stood out.

Made some good tackles at times and made a few clangers. Adds to the physical and aerial presence although even that has been missing at times.

I think it would be fair to say we wouldn't and haven't missed him when he's been out the team.

I wonder what kind of wage he is commanding.

I think Alves has had poor spells in games but even when playing poorly he seems to organise the defence and it is a lot more solid with him in it. He is practically unbeatable in the air and that nullify's to some extent the arial bombardment we used to suffer.

I cannot believe some of the comments in this thread claiming Bruno Alves is average or shite.

This is Bruno Alves we're talking about, anyone that thinks he doesn't make us better is either at the wind up or genuinely and honestly shouldn't be watching football.

I'm happy with him and Wilson as the pairing moving forward. Wilson looks alot better playing with an experienced centre half (Weir and now Bruno) than a total bombscare/shitbag like Rob Kiernan.

He is a top class International player and think the criticism a bit harsh as he brings solidarity to the team and seems to get more out of those playing alongside him such as Wilson.

I cannot believe some of the comments in this thread claiming Bruno Alves is average or shite.

This is Bruno Alves we're talking about, anyone that thinks he doesn't make us better is either at the wind up or genuinely and honestly shouldn't be watching football.

Absolutely. I think he's clearly not 100% fit but is still one of the first names you want on the team sheet.

i think the way our defense has been sorted from last year and the previous year alot is down the alves

Agreed. Best not to forget just how bad our defense has been over the past 3 (or 6?) years and Alves has brought some stability in there. He can get caught for pace but some of his distribution is top class.

I get the impression from Alves that he only plays like he should if he can be bothered, which is poor from a professional footballer.

Can't get over some of the pish on here at times, what are you expecting, overhead kicks?

When he's not in the team, we are a lot worse.

For the most part I think he's been very good. Sometimes he seems a bit disinterested during games which showed last night. For their first goal he let Murray run in behind him and he was looking the other way.

Anyone with a bit of pace running at him means he'll struggle. Anything in the air - he'll clean up all day.

I quite like him. Excellent in the air. Wilson improving may be his experience rubbing off. Plays some intelligent passes and reads game quite well.

Not as good as I hoped but certainly not garbage. 7/10

Take the name away and you wouldn't be getting anywhere near as negative feedback on him as this.

I think he's been pretty decent overall. Our defence is definitely better than last season and that is largely down to him.

I would add that he does waste the ball quite a lot. He'll be very slow on it then eventually just play a long through ball to nobody.

Ge’s Been very good for us and we’re a less easy touch at opposition corners but got to say he was at fault for both Hibs and Ross Co.‘s goals.

He is our best centre back by a country mile and we would suffer massively if he was moved on. Ok in games he has some daft moments and he was slack for the goal last night but second half he was superb and wins lots of headers and has great experience to pass onto Bates. Wilson needs experience beside him.
For any defender Scottish Football is a shock, it’s fast and frantic and a World Cup final every match against Rangers so fans need to cut the guy some slack.

Back