Newly found video footage of the mythical 1979 Drybrough Cup Final ?

I must admit, I've never seen this short clip before, film footage of the game with commentary from Archie McPherson ? All three Rangers goals included, and that goal from Coop. Enjoy. :)

Thanks for that, I was living abroad at that time so missed it all, that's the best footage I've seen of that game

What I find remarkable (apart from the great goals) is that the scum didn't wear numbers on their backs. Was that only mandatory later ?

Yes. It was a common trick question: "Who wore the number 9 shirt for them at such and such a game?" And the answer was always "Nobody".

I was at that game infact it may have been my first against the scum that goal from Coop will live till the day I die what a player he was.

I was in the North Enclosure that day, right up at the fence. When Davie scored that goal, some of them actually applauded. Only minutes before, they had been lobbing chunks of terracing at us.

1st time I have seen John McDonald's goal, Sandy's goal full length even their goal as well due to nature of short clips for both Cooper's and Jardine' goal

Cheers for posting

I was there. We used to have some terrific pre season tournaments. What was the one where the offside line was drawn at the 18 yard line?

I would love to see the footage of Cooper's goal modernised using digital technology just like Peter Jackson's WWI film 'They Shall Not Grow Old.'

I wonder how much it would cost and I would certainly contribute to that if fundraising got off the ground.

I’m in too. Must be possible, Sky can recreate angles and spin round a pitch reconstructing footage.

Ahhh! the good old day's remember the game well, just wish I was a twenty five year old again and we had the likes of Davie Cooper and Sandy Jardine as players now.

Remember that game came the day after we beat West Ham on the Friday night with another 3 cracking goals.
We then played Kilmarnock on the Sunday. Went 2 nil up and ran out of steam. No wonder. 3 games in 3 days. Surprised they didn't try that in 2008.

I was at this game and three of the best goals you'll ever see in 90 minutes. This is the same footage that's been seen before but never heard the commentary . Seems to have been added on at a later date.
Archie of course was always a big Celtic fan back in the day.

Thanks for posting, was in the main stand that day , Davy Cooper goal was my favourite Rangers goal love it.

Last edited:
Archie sounded devastated with coops world class goal.
When you consider his enthusiasm for the other two Rangers goals, there’s no way he wouldn’t get excited over Coop’s finish. I get the impression it’s the commentary you’d hear when a goal is being replayed- concentrating on the actual move.

If the commentary was added as an earlier post suggested, maybe this was the only available snippet or, and dare I suggest it, taken from another game just to complete the whole commentary. It sounds remarkably downbeat to describe such a wonderful goal, and Archie McPherson was at least enthusiastic when commentating at a Rangers game.

I was at this game and again Sandy Jardines goal was something to see.
From one end to another and then Coops goal I will never forget but I keeping asking myself.
Was this game or maybe another game against the Scum an early kick off?
My mind may be playing tricks on me but early kick offs were very much not the norm then.

I always remembered that the first goal had been memorable as well, it’s so good to finally see it again.I think I read somewhere that John McDonald said he was physically sick after scoring that goal.
Sandy’s unbelievably has been largely forgotten due to what was still to come. I thought at the time it was the greatest individual goal I had ever seen - for a few minutes.
Coop’s just defies belief, that in that game of all games he had the the confidence to even try it, never mind the ability to execute it.

To my dying day I’ll be so glad I was there to witness all three.

Jardine a goal gets forgot about. My dad and grandad were there long before my time sadly
Same here.
I'm 40 this year and feel like a young lad fresh out if his nappies when I see that footage.

Great clip.
But the footage right up until and after Coopers goal seems legit and thej the Cooper goal seems to have been added from a different source?

Weird that I'd only ever seen the Cooper bit until now and it's been found.

Great find though!

I was there as a brash young 16 year old. The noise when Coop scored was unbelievable. Left the ground that day thinking we’re going to have a great season. Little did I know what was in front of us for the next 7 years until Souness came and changed everything!

Thanks OP, that's the first time I've seen John McDonald's goal again, great to see. Amazing day, just a pity there isn't complete footage of Sandy's goal.

I always bring this up with Coop's goal.

There is footage from the main stand right up until it goes to the corner then it's from behind the goal. What happened to the camera from the main stand? Did it just stop? Or is the rest of the footage lost?

I know the story about the guy filming from behind the goal but always thought it strange that the main stand footage stopped.

Dryborough had their own cameras at the game. I went to see the footage of the game a year or so after the game. There's a close up of my cousin sitting in the South Sand in the original film.

That was the version of events I read about recently. Drybrough had their own cameras and that’s the footage you see. It’s the first I’ve heard McPhersons commentary on the footage though.

Hi, it was me who posted the footage on my You Tube channel, The Rangers Archives.

As several posters have mentioned, the footage comes from the sponsors who were the only ones to film the match. Archie's commentary was added on when it was shown on Football Focus about a year later which is where my version comes from.

In the months following the match Drybrough screened the footage around the country in clubs etc. I am not aware of any other footage of the match, and have never seen Cooper's goal from the Main Stand camera sadly.

I believe this is the best quality and most complete version of the only footage that remains of the match.

Same here.
I'm 40 this year and feel like a young lad fresh out if his nappies when I see that footage.

Great clip.
But the footage right up until and after Coopers goal seems legit and thej the Cooper goal seems to have been added from a different source?

Weird that I'd only ever seen the Cooper bit until now and it's been found.

Great find though!
I’m 28 so this stuff is only highlights for me etc and listening to my dad, grandad etc

Hi, it was me who posted the footage on my You Tube channel, The Rangers Archives.

As several posters have mentioned, the footage comes from the sponsors who were the only ones to film the match. Archie's commentary was added on when it was shown on Football Focus about a year later which is where my version comes from.

In the months following the match Drybrough screened the footage around the country in clubs etc. I am not aware of any other footage of the match, and have never seen Cooper's goal from the Main Stand camera sadly.

I believe this is the best quality and most complete version of the only footage that remains of the match.
Keep your YouTube page going been excellent during this lockdown mate.

I was at the game,Sandy Jardine just strolled the first 30 yards then just kept going then smashed it.

Long time since I've seen that footage
Wlas at that game and only remember Cooper's goal,Sandy's and MacDonald's were brilliant,,can remember two lines drawn across the parkbetween penalty box and halfway line experiment that between those lines you couldn't be off side if I remember,any body remember this?

I was abroad then and this is the first time I have seen "that goal" It makes Archie Gemmill´s goal against Holland look like a sitter.

I must admit, I've never seen this short clip before, film footage of the game with commentary from Archie McPherson ? All three Rangers goals included, and that goal from Coop. Enjoy. :)

3 ex-pupils from my old school Kingsridge, Drumchapel, playing there. Alex Miller, John MacDonald and Fergus, sorry, Danny McGrain.

I've been told there was another OF where the inclusion of Gregor Steven made it 4 but I haven't any evidence.

I was in the North Enclosure that day, right up at the fence. When Davie scored that goal, some of them actually applauded. Only minutes before, they had been lobbing chunks of terracing at us.

That was never a place for the faint hearted, I always seemed to get a bruise under my eye from some cnüt throwing a coin.

Thanks for putting that footage up on youtube, mate. I've never seen any film of the goals from the Main Stand at Hampden before. The short grainy clips of Coop and Sandy's goals was all I believed existed, so this footage is top class and a real gem of a find. :)

3 ex-pupils from my old school Kingsridge, Drumchapel, playing there. Alex Miller, John MacDonald and Fergus, sorry, Danny McGrain.

I've been told there was another OF where the inclusion of Gregor Steven made it 4 but I haven't any evidence.
Dec 1979 at Ibrox, 1-1 draw, Stevens, MacDonald and McGrain all started, and Alex Miller came on as a substitute

Back