Newly found video footage of the mythical 1979 Drybrough Cup Final ?

One of my biggest regrets is not going with my father and brother. I only liked playing football at the time.

Hi, it was me who posted the footage on my You Tube channel, The Rangers Archives.

As several posters have mentioned, the footage comes from the sponsors who were the only ones to film the match. Archie's commentary was added on when it was shown on Football Focus about a year later which is where my version comes from.

In the months following the match Drybrough screened the footage around the country in clubs etc. I am not aware of any other footage of the match, and have never seen Cooper's goal from the Main Stand camera sadly.

I believe this is the best quality and most complete version of the only footage that remains of the match.

Your games have been a godsend during the lockdown mate.

Keep them coming please.

The Jardine goal was similar to the one he scored against Bayern Munich if memory serves me well. Cooper's goal was a work of ice cool brilliance!

Some breathtaking vision, passing, movement and finishing. If only we could've replicated that level of quality in 2020. The beasts would have been screaming from the rooftops to null and void the league.

That goal of Jardine's is incredible.

He picks the ball up just outside his own penalty box and drives forward, going past player after player, all the way into their penalty box.

Finishes it with his weaker foot too.

Terrific goal.

Roughly how many of their players did he go past mate?

I always bring this up with Coop's goal.

There is footage from the main stand right up until it goes to the corner then it's from behind the goal. What happened to the camera from the main stand? Did it just stop? Or is the rest of the footage lost?

I know the story about the guy filming from behind the goal but always thought it strange that the main stand footage stopped.

I've thought about that for years.

It would look fantastic from the main stand side.

Many thanks for this, was great seeing those goals again. For all those years, I have thought John MacDonalds goal was from further out. And of course Jardines run started from his own half for the second.

The memories from that sunny day over 40 years ago will stay with me for ever. My only regret is that Coops goal wasn’t at the Rangers end where Sections H and J could see it properly!

I must admit, I've never seen this short clip before, film footage of the game with commentary from Archie McPherson ? All three Rangers goals included, and that goal from Coop. Enjoy. :)

Will there ever be a better collection of three goals ever than that ?

Even wee John’s goal would be deemed a classic but it’s never spoken about because of Coop’s & then Sandy’s.

Brilliant footage mate, thanks for posting.
That’s the first time I’ve seen Sandy and wee John’s goals since that great day at Hampden, where I stood in the Rangers End mesmerised by what I was seeing.
I always thought the only footage of the match was Coop’s goal, which I’ve seen many a time to the words and music of Queen’s “It’s a kind of magic”.
I still occasionally drink with my mates who were with me that day (we were all 13 year olds from Easterhouse and Barlanark) and we all know how privileged we were to witness those 3 amazing goals.

3 ex-pupils from my old school Kingsridge, Drumchapel, playing there. Alex Miller, John MacDonald and Fergus, sorry, Danny McGrain.

I've been told there was another OF where the inclusion of Gregor Steven made it 4 but I haven't any evidence.
I know it's a different generation,but did Andy Gray and David Moyes go to that school?if so are there any others who made the grade

It was normal offside rules in 1979. The rule which you refer to was in operation for
the 1972, 1973 and 1974 competitions only.

"For example, in the 1972, 1973 and 1974 Drybrough Cup competitions, an experimental version of the offside rule was operated"

Thanks for that, forgot it was the same tournament /sponsors

Was in the Rangers end that day, brilliant display by the Gers, wiped the floor with them, honestly thought we were going to dominate for years after that display, thanks to the op once again.

Has there ever been a game where three such top quality goals were scored in the one match, and each one better than the one before? That commentary was added later I think as that game wasn't even shown as highlights that night. We thought we were in for a great season after that performance so what enfolded over the following 9 months was totally mystifying.

What was the Dryborough Cup, was it what we know the league cup to be today?
No, it was an additional tournament played at the start of the season. It only had eight teams so it was over in a few weeks. Here’s a bit more detail on it. It didn’t last long. Played for a few years at the start of the 1970’s then it got dropped for a few years and finally it appeared again for a couple of seasons at the end of the 1970’s and 1980-81.

Is there any footage of coopers goal from the normal TV angle? Only ever see it from behind the goal?

Check out google newspapers site. You can see the Evening Times match report on the Saturday by Hugh Taylor (remember him?) He waxes lyrical about Sandys goal, in fact he says he doubts he will ever see a better goal. How does he describes Coop’s? “In 74 minutes Rangers scored another brilliant goal this time it was Davie Cooper who did the job” and that’s it! By Monday nights edition Alan Davidson gives us his version of events “Jardine’s certainly was the most spectacular and the one which killed Celtic” although he adds that “Cooper’s was a triumph of close control and audacious shooting”. He at least adds that John Greig, while acclaiming all three goals as magnificent said of Coop’s “If it had been scored by a foreign player everyone would be raving about it!” Greigy also laments the fact the T.V. cameras weren’t there to record it for posterity. It has to be said sports journalists in those days,although having a fondness for a bevvy,were a million miles away from the charlatans of today.

Me too but the after match entertainment was better.
Some poet thrown through the chippy window down near the Central
I remember seeing that as we came out of the Central! Seem to remember he was giving it laldy & a few Bears just thought “F**k it!” lol. Nobody messed with the Rangers support in those days!

I think he struggled to get a regular game for a couple of seasons under Greig mate.

When Bud Johnston came back he was often preferred to Coop on the left.

Always number 11 under Wallace in the 77-78 Treble season I believe.

Greigs dislike went all the way back to the cup ties v the paper hankies season 76/77 where Coop murdered him. At that point Davie was not a winger but an access all areas player. Then in his first season as a Ranger he was stuck on the left wing with an old right footed left back behind him who never came past him. That must have been murder. That said he had a good season but most of our football came down the right as Sandy still had the legs to go past Calimero and combine with Russell. Wee Tam was still our quarter back and in charge of most dead balls.

Greig didnae fancy Coop and I think Davie spat the dummy a wee bit and his peak years of 24 to 30 were pretty much wasted.
That said the 81 replay is still in my opinion the best performance iv ever seen from a Rangers player. He was phuckin unplayable.

Nearly greeting typing this. I really shouldn't walk down memory lane.

Back