Dip in Alfredo Morelos' form cost Rangers title, says David Weir

BlueMeanie

Former Rangers captain David Weir insists Alfredo Morelos’ barren spell in front of goal after the winter break is the reason Celtic clinched nine-in-a-row.

The Hoops were crowned Premiership winners on Monday after opening up a 13-point lead at the summit before football was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Rangers finished 2019 with a game in hand and only two points adrift of their fierce rivals after winning the December 29 Old Firm tussle.
Colombian international striker Morelos’ 12 league goals in a total of 28 in all competition contributed to a hugely encouraging first half of the season but he managed just one after the action resumed in January - and that came in the Scottish Cup against Hamilton.
Fellow striker Jermain Defoe was also plagued by a calf problem in that period but Weir has pinpointed Morelos’ loss of form as a critical factor in Celtic lifting silverware.
Weir, who also served as assistant manager at Ibrox under Mark Warburton until February 2017, said: “I think Rangers were really close this year, I genuinely do. Getting up to January, winning the game before the break, and after the break it didn’t work out the way anyone wanted.

“But in my mind, whether this is right or wrong, the thing that changed was Morelos stopped scoring.
“So, all of a sudden, the picture changes, Odsonne Edouard (Celtic striker) scored all season.
“Celtic, they had other players who scored but I thought he, and Leigh Griffiths coming in, made a difference.
“All of a sudden, Morelos went from scoring 25, 30 goals before Christmas, after Christmas I think it was one or two.
“That’s a big, big change in your game, a big change in what happens.
“Centre forwards at any level of football in my opinion make or break your team.
“If your centre forward is not scoring then the games become harder to win and if you’re not winning games, especially at Rangers, then it becomes difficult to win leagues.
“I thought, personally, that was the biggest change, goal scorers are worth their weight in gold.
“Defoe got injured as well which was a big loss, but Morelos not scoring had a real impact on Rangers after the break.
“It’s a really hard thing to replace when you don’t have a window to do it; it becomes really difficult.”
Weir, who won three league titles at Rangers between 2007 and 2012, insists getting any kind of silverware will be crucial for Rangers’ progress under current manager Steven Gerrard.
Speaking to The Longest Forty, he said: “Getting a trophy, I think that will be really important for Rangers moving forward.
“I think he (Gerrard) needs to win a trophy and that’s a really obvious thing to say.
“The first trophy is often the hardest, getting that first trophy under your belt.
“Whether it’s the cup or whatever it is, I just think that gives a bit of momentum and a bit of belief.”

Far too reliant on one player.

Some players can't handle the pressure, some don't have the mentality and aren't winners.

You also can't lose your better players, replace them with the complete opposite and expect the same. Flanagan for Tavernier, Defoe for Morelos - just shows the managers lack of tactical awareness and clout.

As said befor, I think the red card at Parkhead was a huge turning point regarding Morelos, and therefore our season as a whole.

I’ll still never understand why he dived when he could have easily scored and put the doubters to bed regarding him scoring against them. The fall out of that red card was huge and has had a big effect on how second half of season has turned out.

The season being ended before we had played all the fucking games ‘cost us the title’ actually.

This is the sort of bury your head in the sand comment that will get us nowhere.

It was a combination of things for me.. the entire squads form fell off a cliff simultaneously and the manager persisted with formation that clearly wasnt working.

In fairness we relied far too heavily all season on Alfies goals so any loss of form from him and we were fu.cked.

Absolute tosh, our centre halves, goalie and full backs were giving away cheap goals. Our midfield ceased to function and our wide attackers went missing, but yeah, it's all down to Morelos, who was admittedly off the boil along with everyone else. Remember David Weir was part of a management team who saw fit to spend over £1million on joe garner.

I agree to an extent.
Gerrards system is build around Morelos when hes missing or infact off form we look all over the place. We desperately need another striker as he’s never changing his Liverpool system.

This is the sort of bury your head in the sand comment that will get us nowhere.

It was a combination of things for me.. the entire squads form fell off a cliff simultaneously and the manager persisted with formation that clearly wasnt working.

In fairness we relied far too heavily all season on Alfies goals so any loss of form from him and we were fu.cked.

Of course it was a combination of things most notably a shocking drop off post winter break but ultimately this talk of ‘costing us the title’ is a sham given that we never actually lost it.

As said befor, I think the red card at Parkhead was a huge turning point regarding Morelos, and therefore our season as a whole.

I’ll still never understand why he dived when he could have easily scored and put the doubters to bed regarding him scoring against them. The fall out of that red card was huge and has had a big effect on how second half of season has turned out.

Up until this whole pandemic, I was convinced that that moment when he ran through on goal at the end of the game at Parkhead was a real sliding doors moment.

A dip in form of one player shouldn’t affect your whole season. You should be able to replace him if he has a dip in form if you are a well prepared team. That’s what cost us after January, not having adequate back up to Alfie
To be fair we had a goalscorer in Defoe who scored goals after the winter break

We were just unfortunate he got injured too

We never really recovered from his red card in the last OF game. He misses the first few games after the break where the team loses all momentum then he also struggles when he is back.

Still no excuse for how poor we were

There were a few factors at play with Morelos.

The red card at the piggery obviously played it’s part. He then had to endure 3 weeks of front and back page headlines literally every day of the winter break as the mentally challengeds and Scottish media set out to destroy him for a fûcking hand gesture. Calls for a 10 game bans ffs.

Shortly after the restart his personal life was plastered all over the papers as he had the incident with his car and was then accused of cheating on his mrs.

Then there was the constant banging on about his goal drought. He scored a perfectly good winner away to Kilmarnock that was chopped off and then scored a perfectly good goal at home to Livingston that was also chopped off. All a result of cheating officials.

If it was a mentally challenged striker the media would be pointing out a clear agenda. With Morelos they encourage it.

All of the above will have played their part in his head not being where it should be.

I’ll say one thing though the guy must be absolutely fed up of Scotland. The media and officials have done everything in their power to ruin him.

Absolute tosh, our centre halves, goalie and full backs were giving away cheap goals. Our midfield ceased to function and our wide attackers went missing, but yeah, it's all down to Morelos, who was admittedly off the boil along with everyone else. Remember David Weir was part of a management team who saw fit to spend over £1million on joe garner.

agree with this, whole team went off the boil, including Morelos who happens to be by far and away the tip of the sword.

Morelos was actually excellent at Parkhead in Dec. Ran them ragged and should really have had a penalty first half and last man free kick (Julien red card, instead the ref shat if and gave it against Morelos).

the dive was a turning point for Morelos. Instead of getting the shot away and getting that monkey off his back, he takes an embarrassing tumble. Humiliating at the time,he came back out of sorts in front of goal and visibly in worse shape.

I think the red card was a big turning point. It was pointless and just the media back on his back when he was actually starting to show some good discipline
This.
Clancy didn't manage to steal a victory for the Filth in the game at Christmas, but his sending off (after the whistle should have been blown) managed to scupper our season.

Clancy has chased Morelos down in Scotland, from the wrongful dismissal in Gerrards very first game, to other wrongful and harsh bookings that cost Rangers and destroyed Alfie's reputation, culminating in sending him off in a game where his outrageously biased refereeing is up there in world football as the very worst.
I did my very best to keep him on the field and to not send him off, is, of course, something you will never hear a Scottish referee ever say in regard to a Rangers player.

This is just one of the reasons why Rangers have to endure unfair and imbalanced competition in Scotland.
This isn't me beating a paranoid drum, this is me repeating recent recorded history.

A dip in form of one player shouldn’t affect your whole season. You should be able to replace him if he has a dip in form if you are a well prepared team. That’s what cost us after January, not having adequate back up to Alfie
What cost us was a dip in form from the vast majority of the team, not one player. We didn't drop the points we lost to the likes of Hamilton Accies and St. Johnstone just because Morelos wasn't quite at it.

He was under incredible pressure from the media at the time, something that some on here are far to quick to dismiss. What cost Rangers the title, or the opportunity to win it at least, was a corrupt vote to end the season. The reasons that Rangers were 13 points behind at the time was a combination of fixture scheduling, shocking refereeing decisions and some honking performances after the winter break. Davie Weir should know better than to place the blame on individuals, it's a team game.

There is definitely some accuracy in his comments. Morelos was obvious the guy scoring all the goals up to the winter break. For me it looked like he downed tools and we just never had a replacement

I agree to an extent.
Gerrards system is build around Morelos when hes missing or infact off form we look all over the place. We desperately need another striker as he’s never changing his Liverpool system.

The whole system is based around 3 players - Tav, Barisic and Morelos. When it works it looks flawless but you need those 3 playing week in, week out.

We were missing two of them post winter break. The dip in quality when it's Halliday and Flanagan at full back or Defoe up top alone is quite alarming. As is the manager's reluctance to change when personnel are missing.

The red card in that last game hurt us more than we think but I also question the decision to allow Morelos extra time off to be home then turn up half way through the training camp.
He didn't look in great shape on his return to the team plus he let us down before an important game.
Who knows the effects on the squad as a whole to what may have been going on behind the scenes.

Kindly %^*& off Davie Weir one man does not make a team and when you moved into coaching along side MW we were rotten.

If Morelos had 100 goals and we were 20 points in front we would not have been given the title. Season would have been null and void.

Why can't our own ex players grasp this?
Fair point but Weir wasn't asked to talk about this. He paints a pretty accurate assessment of what happened and proves how costly the sending off at the piggery was, also the witch hunt that came after it.

Morelos came back unfit and disinterested but to lay the blame solely with him is being extremely revisionist.

It wasn't Morelos' fault that Goldson farted about with it while last man and 18 yards out, only to be dispossessed by the Hamilton player and let them score.

It wasn't his fault that Katic scuffed the ball 40 yards into air at McDiarmid Park only for the St Johnstone player to open the scoring or later on for the defenders losing their man at the corner for the equaliser.

It wasn't his fault at Rugby Park either, he scored a perfectly legitimate goal chopped off by officials and some more bombscare defending followed that seen us lose the game.

A title winning squad consists of 25 players that all play their part. Dips in form are a part of the game, others should be able to step up and play their part. This agenda to crucify Alfie is embarrassing.

Reactions: Jeb
can't disagree tbh. the amount of times we totally dominated games but didn't score or score enough .
relied too much on his goals if anything and defoe getting injured didn't leave a real backup threat in the team .
we were controlling matches just as before the break but when you get to the last half hour and not winning or only a goal up ,the obvious nervousness creeps in and at times we were getting swamped in the last 15 minutes of games against poor opposition .
score goals,out of sight,miss sitters and its a different ball game .
2 games against the tarts though we just never tried a leg and were out fought all over the pitch from the off by the worst team in the league

dip in practically everybody's form cost us the title, not just Morelos

really wish ex-players would get it though, we wouldn't have been given the title if we were 13pts clear because it was all sown up corruptly when they noticed the situation of the world could be used to their advantage. Would be nice if somebody actually said it but they are probably scared of the scum

The campaign against him and the contrast to eduord is staggering

one does a great deal of charity work and hss a heart of gold the other has a firearm charge

the people of Scotland should be ashamed and embarrassed

Former Rangers captain David Weir insists Alfredo Morelos’ barren spell in front of goal after the winter break is the reason Celtic clinched nine-in-a-row.

The Hoops were crowned Premiership winners on Monday after opening up a 13-point lead at the summit before football was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Rangers finished 2019 with a game in hand and only two points adrift of their fierce rivals after winning the December 29 Old Firm tussle.
Colombian international striker Morelos’ 12 league goals in a total of 28 in all competition contributed to a hugely encouraging first half of the season but he managed just one after the action resumed in January - and that came in the Scottish Cup against Hamilton.
Fellow striker Jermain Defoe was also plagued by a calf problem in that period but Weir has pinpointed Morelos’ loss of form as a critical factor in Celtic lifting silverware.
Weir, who also served as assistant manager at Ibrox under Mark Warburton until February 2017, said: “I think Rangers were really close this year, I genuinely do. Getting up to January, winning the game before the break, and after the break it didn’t work out the way anyone wanted.

“But in my mind, whether this is right or wrong, the thing that changed was Morelos stopped scoring.
“So, all of a sudden, the picture changes, Odsonne Edouard (Celtic striker) scored all season.
“Celtic, they had other players who scored but I thought he, and Leigh Griffiths coming in, made a difference.
“All of a sudden, Morelos went from scoring 25, 30 goals before Christmas, after Christmas I think it was one or two.
“That’s a big, big change in your game, a big change in what happens.
“Centre forwards at any level of football in my opinion make or break your team.
“If your centre forward is not scoring then the games become harder to win and if you’re not winning games, especially at Rangers, then it becomes difficult to win leagues.
“I thought, personally, that was the biggest change, goal scorers are worth their weight in gold.
“Defoe got injured as well which was a big loss, but Morelos not scoring had a real impact on Rangers after the break.
“It’s a really hard thing to replace when you don’t have a window to do it; it becomes really difficult.”
Weir, who won three league titles at Rangers between 2007 and 2012, insists getting any kind of silverware will be crucial for Rangers’ progress under current manager Steven Gerrard.
Speaking to The Longest Forty, he said: “Getting a trophy, I think that will be really important for Rangers moving forward.
“I think he (Gerrard) needs to win a trophy and that’s a really obvious thing to say.
“The first trophy is often the hardest, getting that first trophy under your belt.
“Whether it’s the cup or whatever it is, I just think that gives a bit of momentum and a bit of belief.”
Utter pish. Everyone had a part to play. SG being the main culprit

I don’t think there’s many teams that have a ready made replacement for their top striker, plus wasn’t the clubs fault the Vydra deal fell through at the last minute.

I agreed with most of your comment till the end. DW was a good servant to the club and is entitled to his opinion.

Back