Assuming no real additions

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
....and I'm factoring in Covid and the impact on transfers.

Basically, and non scientific, do you think manager has learned enough, and has right man in Ross Wilson, to take us where we want to be?

So, will what we do plus experience and tweaks, be enough? Or is SPL unique enough to cause deep concerns?

Thread assumes no Asian takeover with 25m warchest.

All going well and we get back into it quickly then 55 might happen next season.

E.O.L always keep positive and good things come to those who wait.

No.

This squad wasn't good enough to win the league and the manager doesnt look like he's learned enough in 2 years. The collapse post Dubai is a major concern. The squad doesnt have the depth required to win a title and we don't seem to have a plan B. There are also serious questions over the mentality of the team - this Rangers side are not mentally tough enough to deal with the pressure of being title contenders and the weight of expectation that it brings.

We need a RW then I'd say a CM, ST and a LB atleast so I'm hoping we have 10m atleast and maybe get rid of a few to free up more wages and money.

Possibly offset a transfer fee for wages if there's a free transfer.

So as its stands, no we don't have enough.

Wilson is the right man, he and Bisgrove have done well so far. I do have worries that Gerrard and Beale are reluctant to change formation.

Wilson will have had significant scouting funds/department to work with when in the EPL. He must have loads of players watched up we don't know about. I hope this means we pull a few good signings not on the papers radar like hagi was.

Loved it when we used sign top players and it was right out the blue(pun intended)

Two different questions.

Ultimately, we wont know if Gerrard has learned until we start playing again. And, even if he has we may still not win the league and vice versa.

Wilson definitely seems an upgrade, by quite a way, on Allen.

Personally, I think we need a bit more in midfield, the drop off in Davis was huge, if we want to win the league.

Also, I think Covid will make the games against them even more important. The rest are going to have to cull their squads with the reduction in finances.

It’s possible but we would need to get lucky. In fact it would probably need to be very similar to 97-98.

A lot will depend on if our manager has actually learned anything in the last two seasons.also if we don,t collapse again in the second half of the season.
No.

This squad wasn't good enough to win the league and the manager doesnt look like he's learned enough in 2 years. The collapse post Dubai is a major concern. The squad doesnt have the depth required to win a title and we don't seem to have a plan B. There are also serious questions over the mentality of the team - this Rangers side are not mentally tough enough to deal with the pressure of being title contenders and the weight of expectation that it brings.
Burn the witch.

We need to buy players that would be first team starters for them, quality is only way we are going to get .closer to them

Mentality, ie someone who will make a crunching challenge at the right time to swing the game in our favour and drive us in is a much needed requirement also

We can’t keep rebuilding near on half a team every summer, that is standing still as it takes a few time to settle in as they say.
Nor can we keep buying squad players and pretending the main team is enough to win the league.

We need to buy players that would be first team starters for them, quality is only way we are going to get .closer to them

Mentality, ie someone who will make a crunching challenge at the right time to swing the game in our favour and drive us in is a much needed requirement also
Kevin Thomson admits openly that he was told he'd need new level and new hunger when he signed. His 'natural game' wasn't enough.

6 have gone and we could certainly lose another 6 when you factor in loanees returning. This in itself would free up some movement inwards, quality not quantity has to be the roadmap. We bloated our squad with players not up to the task who were meant to help us unlock sides at Ibrox which failed abysmally.

I would move Kamara on for £6m if possible and buy 2 x £3m players with the proceeds. The replacements would need to be of similar quality.

When the chips are down we need 11 players who have the mentality to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. I dont mean individually be match winners, but at the moment 8 outfield players are looking at 2 others (usually Tav and Morelos) to do something.

The difference between us and them is that in most positions they have players who can do this. Each player needs to win their 1v1 battle, that way the opposition cant just shape their team to nullify 1 or 2 threats. That's what I see when I look at teams playing the other team.

I cant see us winning the league unless we sign another 2 or 3 quality players. Minimum. Unless we get lucky and they collapse

For those saying sell Tav and Goldson, we dont have the depth for that. What we need to do is buy better than both of them and they become the back up players. Challenge them for their places but also take pressure off them as at the end of the day they are really good players.

It's pretty obvious we need a "winner" or two in the middle of the park. A Souness / Barry Ferguson who can drag 3 points out of a poor performance.

It's pretty obvious to everyone except perhaps our Manager which is ironic given his playing career.

I'm frightened even with new personnel, we're going to continue believing that our drills and combinations will be enough to break down Heart / Sheep / next seasons bogey team away from home.

TBH I think Morelos will be away at some point over the summer and we probably need him to go to finance 2 or 3 more quality signings for the overall squad.

The yahoos will certainly come down a level or two over the summer as well with Foster and Elyounoussi away soon they don’t have the £140,000 a week in wages to sign these two far less the Transfer fee and I’d also wager Edouard gets sold as well.

The rest of the league will be a basket case we really should be winning at least 8 out of every 10 games against them.

Think we need CB x1, CM x2 & one right sided midfielder/attacker to come straight into our team. Then a backup LB, ST and GK (assuming McCrorie is being loaned out)

I'm also fed up with 'deep squad' bullshit. It's time for game changers.

Modern football is a squad game. The ideal would be to have 2 players for every position. Sure there will be a drop in quality from first choice to 2nd choice, but there needs to be competition for places. If players know that they won't be dropped then there's a strong tendency towards complacency. Then theres injury cover, suspensions and generally just keeping guys as close to 100% as possible. Tactical changes too - Gerrard right now isnt capable of changing a game and the squad doesnt really lend itself to plan B.

The first 11 will always be the most important factor in success but its impossible to ignore the importance of squad strength. All it takes is for an injury or loss of form to hit a key player and it can destroy a season. I think you need a core of 20 very good players and 4 or 5 promising youngsters that can come in and play a part.

I hope we sign a couple of hard men. Preferably 1 centre half and 1 centre midfielder. Think we can play some good football when we are on our game however when we are not we can get bullied.
When we signed Coulibaly, Gerrard described him as a destroyer type midfielder and different to what we have. Although he never worked out I still think its that type of type midfielder that we need.

Morelos staying could be vital. Hagi now done. Two top class additions and we could be ready. I agree with others that it might be better to replace Tav. He is just not a winner.
Tav isn't close to being the top of our worries man, we are struggling %^*& to score goals and people are desperately wanting rid of Tav like replacing his 14 assists will be piss easy. I agree I would personally give someone else the armband but Gerrard sure as %^*& knows more about captains than I do.

I'm not sure that Kent and Hagi are the ideal wide men in a front 3. I'd be prioritising a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder who can push on and support the striker because I don't think we get enough goals from wide players cutting inside or midfielders pushing forward. Kent had 8 goals in 33 games Aribo and Arfield were 9 each from 48 appearances. Jack is good enough for the box to box role. A right back who is better defensively would also be a priority. I think Aribo and Kamara are adequate squad players but we need to improve on both of them for the starting 11. I'm unsure about Arfield's consistency and Davis is at the end of his career.

Also cover up front, both attacking wide positions and both fullbacks.

Back