"Virtual SPFL season ticket" on its way from Sky

Clubs, as you would expect, want to keep as much of your ST money ss possible, giving any refund will be the last thing on their mind.

However I am sure Rangers know that a virtual ST in no way equates financially to the cost of a normal ST, probably not even worth half. Also not every ST holder would need one a virtual ST, a family or friends might only need one. This will be a massive headache as the club try to think of added value that they can offer that fans believe is worth the cost of their full ST.

Can only hope the club comes up with better ideas than the derisory £25 voucher as compensation for the 5 homes games remaining of last season.

Derisory? I hope to God that's the end of it and unless you change your view you dont renew until you can guarantee access to the ground

Fans should not expect any visits to Ibrox this season and if we do, it's a bonus.

The club needs our support now more than ever before.

So would season ticket holders have to buy a virtual season ticket on top of their actual season ticket?
That on top of a Sky subscription,they having a laugh. Football needs punters through the gate,I've watched some of the German games and the atmosphere is non existent and people want to be there watching the team.

If Sky have cameras at every game now, is there an excuse for no VAR? you have a battalion of qualified officials sat doing %^*& all due to no Championship games, sit in an office socially distanced and make the correct calls. Would certainly answer the cheats or incompetents or both question.

My reading is Rangers will be allow to show all games not on Sky to RTV to UK&NI viewers. So effectively our home games outside of the OF games.
Say for example the club charges £10 a game for this to non-STH, there will also have to be recognition that even if these games are given free to STH, there is still a massive value gap for someone like myself paying £580 for my seat. The club will argue that fans are paying to support the club and keep their seat for when games restart, but I think they will need to do more to give some extra value back to STH.

Another big issue is illegal streams etc - Rangers will need non-STH to actually buy the streams and not get them from other sources.

Best post so far on this, I’ve purchased three season tickets in total for myself and two of my children. What’s to stop someone purchasing only one virtual season ticket at hypothetically half the cost of a normal season ticket and then inviting everyone over to watch the match. Really unfair. All I’m looking for at this stage is a bit of clarity from the club. Answers and potential solutions to the hypothetical situations that may arise.

I find it bizzare more people aren't raising this issue.

Derisory? I hope to God that's the end of it and unless you change your view you dont renew until you can guarantee access to the ground

Fans should not expect any visits to Ibrox this season and if we do, it's a bonus.

The club needs our support now more than ever before.

Why don’t the club come out and say that? It’s not a question of support as we have the most loyal fan base as has been proven over the years. If the club comes out and provides clarity or potential solutions to hypothetical situations then the club will have my full financial support regardless of how much football I see at Ibrox. I feel as if we as a club need to get ahead of this situation and show some vision as opposed to sitting back and waiting for things to unfold.

Is RTV capable of hosting 45k additional viewers on top of the normal subscribers?

Ufa away was a shambles.

It is a cost to sky tho as they paid for UK exclusive coverage of televised SPFL football, but in reality they arent getting that. So are entitled to be compensated.

They paid for rights to a very small amount of the games, 90% would not have been shown on Sky.

So a ST holder would need to then buy this as well? What if you don’t have Sky, would you then need to pay a subscription to them to get the access to start with?

They paid for rights to a very small amount of the games, 90% would not have been shown on Sky.

But the Sky TV rights also apply the geo-restriction around the games in the UK, making the games more exclusive (in theory). Hence why folk use VPNs as a workaround.

This big time, I was trying to watch Rangers TV last season via an I.P address hidder and had to stop using it as the games where unwatchable. I had to watch via other means as the streams kept on buffering so hopefully Rangers try and get their own channel on Sky like they had years ago as all our season ticket holders online would not work.
I would hope Rangers would bring about a major upgrade to RTV as I'd sooner subscribe to that,at least the club would get the money.

I struggle to see why this would be a goer at all if Sky aren't getting a share. They're writing off a huge chunk of money the SPFL owe them, allowing the remainder to be paid over 5 years AND allowing all this additional broadcasting to happen for nothing? No chance.

The alternative is their isnt a viable financial structure for the league which means zero content for them

But the Sky TV rights also apply the geo-restriction around the games in the UK, making the games more exclusive (in theory). Hence why folk use VPNs as a workaround.

True but its not taking a single viewer away from Sky outwidth the games they would have shown.

Not sure if £1.5M is reasonable.

No, Sky won't necessarily be involved in the streaming, but for this deal to even be required they must have to allow a change in the rights agreements, etc around games so they can be made available in the UK to fans live.

The point remains, why Sky would make a series of concessions to the SPFL's benefit without any kind of return, and indeed a multimillion pound loss on what they are entitled to?

Because otherwise their wont be a league season for them to show. Clubs needs gate money to survive. If sky dont allow this then they arent getting any content.

I don't think this has any bearing on the point being made to be honest.

The question is when you've got a family of say one adult and two kids buying STs to see games and then another family of same numbers paying for the VST and getting essentially the same thing but at a notable difference in price, where is the real benefit/reward to the ST holder? Especially given SR's rather patronising letter to us all about our loyalty and rewarding us for it?

It will be very interesting to hear more detail about this whole concept and the price point to be honest.

It does as he has asked whats is there to stop this. Losing their season ticket will stop a lot of people doing that. Clubs have fans in an emotional string.

Social distancing rules may stop it. Plus, if you don't buy your ST, you won't have your seat when we do get back.
Plus ST holders knew, and I’m one of them, of the risks before handing their cash over for next season when we had no idea what would happen.

True but its not taking a single viewer away from Sky outwidth the games they would have shown.

Not sure if £1.5M is reasonable.

No, but it makes a potentially relatively cheap and selective non-Sky option readily available to viewers to access games they specifically want and reduces the value of the Sky Sports subscription. That's the bottom line in why these rights restrictions exist in the first place. Reduce the availability of the product elsewhere and drive up the value and monopolise the content they select to show live.

It does as he has asked whats is there to stop this. Losing their season ticket will stop a lot of people doing that. Clubs have fans in an emotional string.

Yeah, fair point, but if the "benefit/reward" of it is just the emotional blackmail of you'll lose your seat in the future if you don't then it'd be another slap in the face after the £25 voucher nonsense and laughable as a reward for loyalty.

Instead it'd reinforce the notion that the club doesn't value ST holders loyalty and is simply taking their money and couldn't care less if they renew because someone else will just take their place.

A poor message IMHO.

No, but it makes a potentially relatively cheap and selective non-Sky option readily available to viewers to access games they specifically want and reduces the value of the Sky Sports subscription. That's the bottom line in why these rights restrictions exist in the first place. Reduce the availability of the product elsewhere and drive up the value and monopolise the content they select to show live.

Still think Sky getting £1.5M for allowing us to show games they wouldnt have been showing anyway is a bit much.

Most countries get paid money when they broadcast games, we have to pay money out for the privilege of doing it.

Still think Sky getting £1.5M for allowing us to show games they wouldnt have been showing anyway is a bit much.

Most countries get paid money when they broadcast games, we have to pay money out for the privilege of doing it.

They're getting £1.5m when they should be getting £5.5m mate... it's a reduction of the penalty payment for not finishing the season according to the article.

Yeah, fair point, but if the "benefit/reward" of it is just the emotional blackmail of you'll lose your seat in the future if you don't then it'd be another slap in the face after the £25 voucher nonsense and laughable as a reward for loyalty.

Instead it'd reinforce the notion that the club doesn't value ST holders loyalty and is simply taking their money and couldn't care less if they renew because someone else will just take their place.

A poor message IMHO.

Let's wait and see how it plays out. Every club in Europe in the same boat.

Surprise surprise its from Jhackson

Neil Doncaster is still in talks with the SPFL and clubs could be allowed to stream games to supporters while they're being played behind closed doors.

Football starved fans across the country look set to be offered the chance to buy virtual season tickets - as the SPFL close in on a revolutionary new broadcast deal with satellite giants Sky.

Record Sport understands crisis talks between the league’s chief executive Neil Dungcaster and TV bosses have reached an advanced stage as they prepare to begin next season behind closed doors.

We told how, as part of the discussions, Sky could be willing to write off a potential £5.5m claw back claim for the failure to complete the 2019/20 campaign - with Doncaster attempting to negotiate a greatly reduced penalty sum of £1.5m, with payments spread over the next five years.

Now we can reveal the talks have also explored ways that Scotland’s cash strapped clubs might be able to create some sort of vital matchday revenue even although their turnstiles could remain locked for months.

It is believed Sky - who snapped up exclusive SPFL rights for the next five years in a deal worth £150m - understand the need for clubs to be able to raise extra cash as the game in this country battles to survive the financial ramifications of the COVID crisis.

And they accept that allowing matches to be live-streamed into the living rooms of fans around the country could help provide a financial lifeline.

Doncaster’s plan would allow each club to live stream matches using their own online channels to virtual season ticket holders.

One Premiership chairman told Rhecord Sport: “We are waiting for the exact details of how such an agreement would be structured but we are told more information will follow shortly as the discussions between Neil Dungcaster and Sky are at an advanced stage.
"We told how, as part of the discussions, Sky could be willing to write off a potential £5.5m claw back claim for the failure to complete the 2019/20 campaign..."

Is that part of the potential liability that the clubs weren't told about before the Good Friday vote ?

Is good old Neil ( and Pete ) also negotiating with BT Sport wrt potential claw back ?

"...failure to complete the 2019/20 campaign...." but surely the 2019/20 campaign was complete, after all didn't the SPFL award the various championships to various clubs ?

So sky are writing of £5.5m? Not a chance.

So the spfl way of paying this £5.5m back to sky is for fans to pay them it back in terms of a virtual season ticket?

This joke of a ceo and sky are taking the piss out of fans, the worse bit is so many fans will fall for it and get doncaster out of jail.
I thought this was why the SPFL were going to give Sky the sponsorship of the league..?

I thought this was why the SPFL were going to give Sky the sponsorship of the league..?

Never heard this but that might make some sense. Give them a sponsorship deal worth a few million for fck all because the SPFL can't afford to pay them the money, then try to negotiate this deal where clubs can sell virtual tickets for streams of games to try and claw back a shortfall.

Honestly, the business handling of this league is utterly farcical. Why the fck Doncaster has survived his role this long with where he has taken it in his time is beyond perplexing.

No interest in recouping money for season books and if anyone is buying a season ticket for this year knowing games will be BCD for some of it to then ask for a refund is a brass neck in my opinion

Deal now confirmed according to SSN.

It will be interesting to see the detail and what the club thinks of the deal

No interest in recouping money for season books and if anyone is buying a season ticket for this year knowing games will be BCD for some of it to then ask for a refund is a brass neck in my opinion

People weren't given a great deal of choice to be fair. Some us were auto-renewed with a letter telling us how important our loyalty was, etc but without any detail whatsoever of what the club's plans were for these scenarios.

Refuse to renew and folk are guns blazing because the club needs support, renew and you're not entitled to expect some kind of genuine reward for that loyalty in uncertain times or to have the "brass neck" to decide that actually you want to be able to say you're not getting what you paid for and non ST holders may even be getting a better deal in the short term.

Until we know the details, there's little question that supporters have been taken for granted with this IMHO.

Scottish Premiership clubs will create a 'virtual season ticket' for the 2020/21 season, providing an alternative source of matchday income while social distancing measures prevent fans from attending matches. During the 2020/21 season, each Premiership club will be able to sell a package to season ticket holders to watch all home games.

... details will need to come out fast on this as that line doesn't read well at all.

The problem with streaming football via the internet is that British internet quality is up there with third world countries.

It would be an absolute disaster watching the usual pixelated quality and constant lagging that streaming of football entails.

Already spent £600 on a product I know I won’t get to use so the thought of being asked to fork out again for a virtual season ticket will be taking the utter piss.

I'd imagine it will be free to season ticket holders surely?

You'd have assumed that - but that line suggests the exact opposite. It may be simply needing clarified or clubs may choose to give it for free, but that seems to defeat the purpose of allowing additional revenue streams if it's only available to ST holders.

Hopefully just a very poorly written line.

Just casually glossing over the fact we know for certain we owe SKY millions now for unnecessarily finishing the league early? Something we were told was entirely untrue?

Should only be one club accountable for paying that fine.
Only £5.5m to award the title to the filth.

So I’ve got a s/t st Ibrox, SKY Sports (which has had fućk all on it for 3 months).

And ve to buy an add on package for Rangers games on TV.

Fućk off.

I'd imagine it will be free to season ticket holders surely?
It has to be free to season ticket holders , it is out of order and disgraceful if renewing season ticket holders are asked or expected to pay more money to watch home games out with the existing sky deal.

If it's only behind closed doors til Christmas then surely it'll be a half virtual charger we need?

Back