Hearts supporter and shareholder organsations send open letter to Scottish football calling SPFL to account

jaws73

Official Ticketer
The letter calls for certain conditions be placed on clubs ahead of the new season starting

The Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs and the Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association have penned an open letter to Scottish football, criticising the SPFL.

The groups slammed the lack of leadership shown by the league body, and ask why it’s been left t Ann Budge to find a solution to the current situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The Tynecastle chief has submitted a league reconstruction proposal, which if unsuccessful will see Hearts playing the Championship next season.

Separately, she has also brought wealthy backer James Anderson to the table, who’s financial support will be key in enabling matches in all divisions to take place behind closed doors.

But frustrations remain that the decision taken to demote Hearts after the season was called early and the way the SPFL has conducted itself throughout the process, and the organisations have called for the governance of the league to be examined.

Dear all,

We understand that 2020 is a year that will long be remembered for the tragedy and loss of life that has afflicted this country, as almost every across the world. Our organisations pay tribute to the frontline workers who have given everything to help give others hope; we mourn with those who’s loves ones are now gone.

To talk about Scottish football at this time feels very difficult, and it is for that reason we’ve chosen not to comment publicly, until now.

It isn’t a surprise that as Heart of Midlothian supporters we feel strongly that the club currently faces demotion to the Scottish Championship.

But, as football supporters and in effect the largest sponsors of our game, we call on everyone in the game to come together and ensure that the game we all love survives long beyond Covid-19.

To that effect we call Scottish football, and in particular the SPFL to take a number of steps:

• We believe that the SPFL executive (both chief executive and independent directors) should be taking ownership and leading clubs through this time; they should be the arbiter of fairness and genuine guardians of the game

• We do not believe it is for clubs such as ours to be heading up our ‘own’ reconstruction talks – because when discussions are framed in this way, they will fail, because the vast majority of clubs only consider themselves, and consider Heart of Midlothian to be doing likewise. When this happens, rancour will continue, and our game will continue to suffer.

• Club leaders would be wise to consider carefully public pronouncements right now, because words last long, even if it might appear that cheap throwaway remarks are simply tomorrow’s chip paper. As custodians they bear an enormous responsibility, too

• We call upon the SPFL to formally ask every member club to submit assurances that they can start and finish season 2020/2021, by which we mean participating in:

o A full league programme (i.e. at least 36 games before play-offs, and 38 in the Premiership)

o The Scottish League Cup

o The Challenge Cup (where clubs play in the Championship, League 1 and League 2)

• Clubs that can formally declare that they are in a strong enough financial position to fulfil that obligation should be allowed to do so at the earliest opportunity when the Scottish Government permits

• Only then, can the set-up of any league structure be decided upon, depending on how many clubs can make that unequivocal commitment

• Clubs who cannot should be allowed to “mothball” without incurring any form of further punishment , until fans are allowed back into stadiums and we can resume something resembling normal match day experiences

These seem pragmatic next steps, but beyond that as supporters we believe our view should be heard (and we don’t believe we are alone for the longer term.

Once there is some normality in the world, we believe a complete revamp of how our governing body is structured and operates is essential.

We suggest an independent support is secured to look at the current set up of the SPFL, with the power to drive significant change such as:

• Robust, transparent governance

• Clear, focused plans which are supported by key metrics to determine success (or otherwise)

• A board and executive which does not include club representation and operates independently against the above clear, focused plans – and which is judged robustly by shareholders (i.e. the clubs on the success of their delivery)

Ann Budge quite rightly talks about Heart of Midlothian becoming ‘fan owned, but not fan run.’ On that same basis we believe the SPFL (as a limited company) should be ‘club owned, but not club run’.

We believe that the biggest issue at this time is that the clubs run the SPFL, enabling an easy get out for the SPFL executive and its board. How often do we hear the phrase, “we’re a members’ organisation?”

This means politics and self-interest becomes a huge part of managing the SPFL, rather than looking outwardly, seeking new ideas, engaging with supporters and creating an amazing league competition, which are celebrated by supporters, broadcasters and sponsors.

This is probably the hardest period our game has experienced and the very existence of a lot of clubs is in danger. We need positive action now to safeguard that future for all and move forward.

Heart of Midlothian means the world to us, but this is far bigger than anything down at Tynecastle Park right now.

Yours in sport,

Stevie Kilgour - Secretary Federation of Hearts Supporters’ Clubs
Bill Alves - Chairman Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association

Hadn’t realised Hearts were facing relegation

“It isn’t a surprise that as Heart of Midlothian supporters we feel strongly that the club currently faces demotion to the Scottish Championship.“

I thought they already had been relegated due to the league being called and Dundee Utd being promoted

Know it’s pedantic but as our resolution was knocked back due to the wording...

Dear Mr SPFL, I’m sorry that we’ve been so weak and let you rape our club all in the name of giving the league to our almighty overlords, The Glasgow Celtic Hail Hail. Can you please reconsider and help us please mr Lawwell ahem Doncaster. We won’t say a word if you help us please please please.

Yours sincerely, faithfully and warmly,

The Jambo Tarties.

PS

Please!!!!

Meanwhile, if Hearts do end up in the Championship:

Discussions are underway regarding a separate plan for the second tier that would allow for clubs to stream those matches as well.

That will likely be of relevance to Hearts, who are still attempting to hang on to their top flight status via Ann Budge’s reconstruction proposal.

Divisional meetings have taken place this week and clubs have been asked to make their position known to the SPFL by the end of this week.

A vote has not yet been scheduled, and the league have asked clubs to explain what could be done to overcome any objections to the proposal, which suggests there could be room for manoeuvre should only a small number of clubs oppose.

But the Jambos will still be bracing themselves to face the drop, although preparations to legally challenge the decision continue.

Its all very well saying clubs can 'mothball' without penalty. What happens if QoS, for example, want to 'mothball'. What league are they in at the end of that? The Championship? Does that mean there will be no relegation from the Championship next season? Same if, for example, St Johnstone want to mothball. What about the likes of Falkirk or Thistle who may want to play. Can they replace QoS in the Championship and, effectively, relegate the 'mothballed' team? Their letter offers no clarity on that whatsoever.

We might be able to find two leagues of teams that can play out the season - the dilemma is what happens after that. We can't have two leagues that are, basically, a series of friendlies with no relegation or promotion and then revert to the divisions they were in before 'mothballing'.

Last edited:
The last point of a separate board without club representation is a decent point imo. Any club manipulating and bullying members should be removed from the league.

It’s only their supporters and shareholders calling it out. Their club bent over and took it up the r**r. And they still have the begging bowl out.

Surprised they didn’t thank the spfl neil and pete for shafting them.They have introduced this investor a hearts fan who just happens to show up after they are relegated.They are as corrupt as the others.Fu*k them.qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent.

No wonder the SPFL sit laughing at us.

We shout for change and as soon as another club question the governance of the SPFL we shoot them down. FFS read the statement and at least agree in part instead of looking at the bits you disagree.

The SPFL should not be run by clubs, it should be run for clubs. FFS Alloa 100% correct HEARTS

Again the SPFL and their Masters Celtic will be sitting there pissing themselves laughing.

Can't believe the focus is now on budge and Hearts from our support. They have been the victim in this as much as anyone and I for one welcome any light being shone on the SPFL and their crooked ways.

Perhaps we should be focusing on our own board who appear to be moving on rather than sticking the boot into Budge who is doing all she can to fight the utter shambles that ended the season.

Again the SPFL and their Masters Celtic will be sitting there pissing themselves laughing.

Can't believe the focus is now on budge and Hearts from our support. They have been the victim in this as much as anyone and I for one welcome any light being shone on the SPFL and their crooked ways.

Perhaps we should be focusing on our own board who appear to be moving on rather than sticking the boot into Budge who is doing all she can to fight the utter shambles that ended the season.
She’s only interested in putting head above the parapet because they are relegated.Would she give a fu*k with an 8th place finish and someone else was away?Not a hope in hell.Back in with that pack of jackals.Excuse me if I have absolutely no sympathy for them her or their cun*y support.Let her take them to court instead of the bribe they’ve tried.

That is a fair letter and there are points that we should support,particularly the parts about the make up of the SPFL board.
I have no great love for Hearts but I believe we need as many Clubs as possible coming together as a united front to get rid of the current cabal.
It’s pretty much what I was looking for.
Hearts, the team most affected by this shocking leadership and mismanagement, need to take the lead here.
We, and others can support them but, I‘ll it again, if we took the lead on this one, we’d be seen as agitators and just morning because the scum were awarded the league.

They have a point, all this should have been sorted by the cabal in March but Too little, too late, go %^*& yourselves Hearts

Hearts will be assisted by Doncaster because the last thing the SPFL want is the court room where their dirty laundry will be on view to everyone and could see their downfall.

Did the guffy bastards help us in 2012......oh wait a minute did anybody
That was then and I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn’t be falling over ourselves trying to help them.
However, this is different in as much as that we need to be behind anything that demonstrates, even proves, our resolution was correct and deserving of success.
Going against Hearts on this occasion would be wrong.

We shout for change and as soon as another club question the governance of the SPFL we shoot them down. FFS read the statement and at least agree in part instead of looking at the bits you disagree.

The SPFL should not be run by clubs, it should be run for clubs. FFS Alloa 100% correct HEARTS

Absolutely agree with you but the statement is only words.

However, until Hearts go legal they will get no support from me because at this time they are still trying to do back room deals with the organisation, that the statement slams, to save their skins.

In fact, you can through in a little bribery in to the Jam Tarts mix.

Hearts are riddled with hypocrisy!

I suppose it is a start that Hearts are openly questioning the governance of the SPFL. We need a load of other clubs to follow suit pronto.

The tims were sent an email with the subject 'title', you guys got relegated.

That right there is your fvcking dinner. Eat it.

I suppose it is a start that Hearts are openly questioning the governance of the SPFL. We need a load of other clubs to follow suit pronto.

Nobody cares! We went all out to try and bring that cabal of scum down and the rest of Scottish Football bar a handful of clubs looked away. Hearts have no chance.

They've got bits, quite a lot in fact, correct. It doesn't follow that we should ignore the bits they've messed up on. I've mentioned in an earlier post about clubs 'mothballing'. You can't raise that point then leave the obvious implications of that just 'hanging'. They should have offered a potential solution.

Hearts have flipped flopped from the get-go and are as much a part of the problem as they rest. They obviously believed Liewell and Dungcaster that reconstruction could take place and therefore have no one to blame but themselves. Trying to bribe the clubs with a pitiful payment should see them banned from next years season never mind demoted ffs.

Can someone in the Premiership please mothball and we will graciously take their place? Then some other mugs can be relegated next season.

We want leadership separate from club led self interest. More power to the same people they said they would sue??? Hmmm.

As posted, IF Hearts are relegated? They have been. Quite unfairly, but no mention of calling the season null and void. If "Champions" are declared why on earth would relegation be mitigated? That would be the ultimate kick in the balls to Sporting Integrity. Or, since that supreme test of our competition has already been shown as the justification to kick %^*& out of Rangers in 2012 and isn't quite as integral now it doesn't suit the mentally challengeds, can we shift it a bit more to let us back in?

Complaints about self interest from a club who are doing this only out of self interest are completely null and void i.m.o. This shower of shite whilst wrongly and unjustly relegated would not have uttered a peep if Hamilton went down. They would have been quite vocal about it being the will of the clubs.

The only reason they are being listened to is due to THREAT of legal action and BRIBERY of bringing cash to the table for testing, with absolutely no question of any help to be brought back from the brink. Just a coincidence that the very people they accused of the same shite are now trying to help them. Honest Guv'nor.

They should now be held in the same contempt as Doncaster, Mclenanananananana and Petrie, the holy trinity of corruption.

%^*& Hearts, let them rot.

That was then and I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn’t be falling over ourselves trying to help them.
However, this is different in as much as that we need to be behind anything that demonstrates, even proves, our resolution was correct and deserving of success.
Going against Hearts on this occasion would be wrong.

I completely agree with you Tazza. I (we) have no love for any other clubs after 2012, but in this instance we need to turn the other cheek for the good of the game. We currently need as many allies as possible in trying to get regime change. Bite your lip and get on with it.

Oh and another thing. Why don't we have a SELL OUT SATURDAY where our club can ease the loss of them being booted out. 10 more subscriptions to RTV should cover it.

Ann Budge quite rightly talks about Heart of Midlothian becoming ‘fan owned, but not fan run.’ On that same basis we believe the SPFL (as a limited company) should be ‘club owned, but not club run’.

Where have you @resholes been the last ten years?

I completely agree with you Tazza. I (we) have no love for any other clubs after 2012, but in this instance we need to turn the other cheek for the good of the game. We currently need as many allies as possible in trying to get regime change. Bite your lip and get on with it.
Correct.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend!

Oh and another thing. Why don't we have a SELL OUT SATURDAY where our club can ease the loss of them being booted out. 10 more subscriptions to RTV should cover it.
The only way we could have a sell out Saturday is if we play each of them on the same day.
Like they nearly wanted us to do in 08.

Are the filth working for the good of themselves?

Are Hearts out for anyone but themselves?

But you want RFC to turn the other cheek?

No wonder we are a laughing stock.

We will have allies, but only when it is too late.

There are no allies. None. Building bridges has been shown to be one boot in the balls after another. Every man, woman and child here has said so for years.
Correct again but, what be the point in being totally intransigent and hurt ourselves or, at least not help ourselves in the process?

The only way Hearts will help us INDIRECTLY is if this fails and they really do take it to court. Their first, and only, wish is to stay in the league and move on. Then they can go back to hating us again.

Latest posts

Back