No excuses, but that Rugby Park pitch is not fit for purpose.

The Goal Machine

Our players control was bad enough, but uneven bounces, slippy surface, a surface that cannot be trusted.

The pitch is terrible, Kilmarnock played it better and I am not trying to make excuses but it is time the authorities stepped in and said enough is enough.

As for Rangers what an ordinary ordinary team we are. You cannot blame Murty the blame lies entirely with the board on two accounts.

Firstly the inexplicable decision to appoint Caixinho, a disaster, and allowing him to spend sums of money that we cannot afford on players we had no knowledge of.

Secondly the pantomime of the appointment of a new manager which really cannot be explained rationally. We have left Graeme Murty in an almost impossible decision.

They promised transparency. They have failed miserably.

The match ball resembled a superball (solid rubber aka bouncy ball ) older bears should remember playing with these. Unpredictable whenever it touched the ground and had the ability to shoot of in any direction. The surface caught out both sets of players at times and proved that there was no home advantage but it makes a mockery of the game . Tarmac would IMHO be a better surface to play on where you could predict the bounce of the ball.

I don't think you'll get any argument. These artificial pitches are terrible.

Sadly, though, I doubt we'd have seen a much better game today on even the best of pitches. It was a typically poor Scottish game between two typically poor Scottish teams.

There was one time where Morelos jumped to chest it down but the ball bounced over his head. Awful surface.

Played a lot off football when I was young long before AstroTurf was even invented but watching the game today was like two teams on red ash playing with a mould master(ouch)
I am sure a lot of old footballers on here will remember you had to get to attack the ball before it bounced,let it bounce and usually you had no chance of controlling it.
Teams that have AstroTurf definitely have a advantage,look at the game today how Kilmarnock attacked the ball while we stood off and watch the ball bounce over our heads.
Still no excuse for that miserable performance.

They are used in the Champions League.
They are used in Iceland and they qualified for the World Cup.
After the war Croatia Bosnia and Serbia all installed them.
They are being used in Russia for the World Cup.

To say they are not good enough for Scottish Football is just wrong.

I totally agree. No excuses because they pumped us today but that is one shocking pitch. The ball didn't pass well at all on it. It slowed up too much and bounces were unreadable. They train on it every day so will definitely be used to it but it is a disgrace of a surface.

When I was a kid I had a Wonderball. It actually bounced higher the more it bounced. A bit like today. However, the first time anyone in Scotland criticised such a pitch wad Big Eck at Dunfermline. He got slaughtered in the press.

The next time anyone criticised the same pitch he got backed 100% by the press. That's the way the bigots in Scotland control the narrative and take the piss out of the hard of thinking on here.

Our team is shite. We are gutless and clueless on the park.

What about you?

The thing is I would bet they are better quality than that pitch
It was horrible to watch I'm not saying we would have won prob not but the ball bounced all over the passes stuck to pitch ball movement player movement etc is all effected

If your gonna have it then it has to be all or none and they have to be good quality pitches

Might be wrong but I think Kilmarnock are going back to grass from next season... Leaving just that abomination at Hamilton...

Pitch is no excuse for thjat performance
Clutching at straws
Its the same for both teams.
Its not the pitch that gives a team heart passion desire

But what quality are those?

The replay for our goal shows just how many pellets are thrown up by the movement of the ball. I play on turf weekly and they look better quality than Rugby Park.

The OP said the rugby park pitch - it’s substandard!!

The ones used in the Champions League and World Cup are of an infinitely higher quality than Rugby Park. In fact, the indoor pitch at Toryglen is a better quality than Rugby Park.

It's simply not fit for top flight football, it's a disgrace.

Of the same quality?

You get a big advantage having one as your players can practise and get used to it. They look fucking awful as well.

We train on those kind of pitches at Auchenhowie, there's no excuses. Kilmarnock were the better team today and deserved the win.

The SPFL should ban these artificial surfaces. The rumour is Killie are considering going back to a grass surface, but they and Accies shouldn't have any choice. Grass should be compulsory.

Trust the resident attention seeking ref to go against the grain.

I'd bet the plastic pitches used in the CL are of a much higher standard, and even then players still complain when they're forced to use them.

The state of the pitch today was a disgrace and I'm not joking when I say I've seen better at the local sports centre.

Last edited:
There was once instance that made me laugh. Wes kicked it out, went down the left. Must have been kicked 50-55 yards. It almost bounced back the way.

Absolutely shambolic

Like or dislike him, there's no denying that Stevie Clark has gained a wealth of experience as a coach and is a proper "football man" - I'd be amazed if he wants his teams playing on that piece of shit, going forwards.

The problem is that particular pitch. Im no expert but its obviously not up to the standard of the pitches you refer to

Of course there is.

It's like the difference between having a dry wank and getting your hole off a hot burd. End goal is the same, but the means are totally different.

Professionals should be able to play on any surface, they train on g4 so should be able play on g4, i've played on worse plastic pitches than today and managed to play fine, why are people making excuses for a poor team ? as stated we were shite and Killie deserved the win.

Professionals should be able to play on any surface, they train on g4 so should be able play on g4, i've played on worse plastic pitches than today and managed to play fine, why are people making excuses for a poor team ? as stated we were shite and Killie deserved the win.
I don't think anyone is going to argue the opposite in terms of the result or the performance.

It was clear the bounce and run of the ball was completely unpredictable.

If you've played on a 4G pitch, you'll know there's no consistency in the bounce and the run of the ball, and you'd then know those two things affect how a game plays out.

I don't think anyone is going to argue the opposite in terms of the result or the performance.

It was clear the bounce and run of the ball was completely unpredictable.
I'll not disagree with the bottom part, there was some dodgy bounces etc but players need to deal with.

If you've played on a 4G pitch, you'll know there's no consistency in the bounce and the run of the ball, and you'd then know those two things affect how a game plays out.

Things can affect how a game plays out on grass also.

Horrible fu(king things.

And to think Rugby Park was one of the best playing surfaces in Britain at one time.

I'll not disagree with the bottom part, there was some dodgy bounces etc but players need to deal with.
Sorry, I'm not agreeing with the last part. Neither ours or their players should have to deal with something relating chasing a rugby ball on a bouncy castl

Id like to say Rugby Park had one of the best playing surfaces in Scottish Football when it was grass.
Now as soon as i seen that pitch it reminded me of Alloas pitch.
Its a disgrace even with the climate that a so called top class league is playing on plastic!

Sorry, I'm not agreeing with the last part. Neither ours or their players should have to deal with something relating chasing a rugby ball on a bouncy castl

We shouldn't have to but these things happen on plastic pitches, we're not the only players who've had to do it, seen it happen on pitches World wide.

Horrible things.

Doesn’t matter how many times someone tells me that X team use them or that they are installed in Y countries round the world, I’ve just always thought the quality of the football played on them is generally worse.

Ridiculous situation that the top league can keep 12 decent grass pitches maintained.

It's a shocking surface. It looks like it plays as badly as the artificial pitches of the '80s. Shouldn't be allowed in top flight football (if that's what we are calling the SPL). Just shows what a diddy league ours is, run by a bunch of incompetents.

That said, our tactics (although maybe I'm giving too much credit that the way we play amounts to "tactics") on the artificial pitches are terrible. On the artificial pitches you either need to (1) play a much longer ball game than we do and play to pick up the second ball or (2) play at a much higher tempo than we do. But instead, we knock the ball side to side, forward in short passes etc. but it takes so long to control the ball which is forever bouncing around at knee/ waist height that it is incredibly easy for the opposition just to get men behind the ball, keep their shape and make themselves hard to break down.

Back