No excuses, but that Rugby Park pitch is not fit for purpose.

No top tier club should be playing competition matches on an artificial surface. It's that simple. Every top flight club should be able to maintain a decent pitch throughout the season. If they cannot then bump them down a division.
You couldn't pay me to watch a game on that surface

But what quality are those?

The replay for our goal shows just how many pellets are thrown up by the movement of the ball. I play on turf weekly and they look better quality than Rugby Park.
yes, it was like a waterlogged pitch with spray when ball is running

Its a very different bounce than you'd get on a normal grass pitch, terrible pitch to play on. You can always see players find it difficult to play on and it is a real disadvantage at times.

Pitch was crap for both teams. We were in the lead and couldn't hold out defensively. This would have been the case if played on a bowling green.

That's besides the point and totally irrelevent.
Nobody is using it as an excuse for defeat.

The debate is about whether we should be playing on plastic pitches in the top league in Scotland and only an idiot would say yes.

They are used in the Champions League.
They are used in Iceland and they qualified for the World Cup.
After the war Croatia Bosnia and Serbia all installed them.
They are being used in Russia for the World Cup.

To say they are not good enough for Scottish Football is just wrong.

I don’t know if I think it’s wtong generally, but don’t we have Astro at Auchenhowie? I thought we did, therefore there is zero reason for us to bitch about it.

There were no complaints when we gubbed them on that surface in the past..
Was it a plastic surface at Ibrox last week ffs?
Time we were pointing fingers at the utter heartless players at Ibrox rather than using that pish ,pathetic excuse.We are better than that? Surely?

No there's not.

Of course there is!

The vast majority of pro’s would never train, never mind play on these surfaces, given a choice.

I understand the revenue it creates for smaller clubs but there is no way they should be allowed in the top league.

WATP

'is just wrong' is a tactic used by Steak Pie FC influencialy

Reid being a master tactician Ably assisted by Liewell Lennon and most recently Scott Sinclair

I've never witnessed a decent game of football on an artificial surface.

Our supporters pay a fortune to be entertained. I would like to see c1872 organise boycotts of Killie and Accies.

Of course there is!

The vast majority of pro’s would never train, never mind play on these surfaces, given a choice.

I understand the revenue it creates for smaller clubs but there is no way they should be allowed in the top league.

WATP

Never noticed a difference between playing and training on them, and i've done both many times.

I agree with your comment about players shouldn't be playing on them, given the choice.

As professionals, they have no choice. They just need to get on with it like anyone else that plays on that type of surface.

None of the top teams in Croatia plays on artificial pitches...Dinamo, Rijeka and Hajduk all have grass pitches

Of course the pitch is a disgrace.
Let SR earn his money by going at it to get these pitches banned from top flight football. He might as well do something constructive

The pitch is awful but two teams play on it at once. One team handled it, the other looked like they'd never seen a football before. Disgraceful performance from a bunch of players who have simply chucked it.

Yesterday was like watching a boys match at Toryglen in the 80s. Terrible spectacle regardless of how shite we were. Telling that McCulloch in his interview says they had to find an alternative training pitch when he was manager because the Killie players hated using it.

It’s not great but Aberdeen and Celtic seemed to be able to deal with it comfortably enough. We have the option to have a training session on it before playing them, did we even bother?

But what quality are those?

The replay for our goal shows just how many pellets are thrown up by the movement of the ball. I play on turf weekly and they look better quality than Rugby Park.

Ive played on Rugby Park’s surface a few times and it is dreadful.

My son trains on a local primary schools artificial surface in Ayrshire and it is far better than Rugby Park’s.

Ironically the people involved at Killie (from youth to first time) acknowledge the lack of quality of the pitch. Killie’s home record since it was laid is shocking! It’s affected them more than the away teams. It was laid purely as a financial cost saving. (ie no expense to rent a training facility when the pitch can be used instead)

Now that new investment has been brought to the club, it’s expected that they’ll replace the surface with grass again!

I agree that artificial surfaces shouldn’t be used in climates where grass is a suitable option!

Another alarming thing is, my son (9 yrs old) has been playing football for 4-5years and the ratio over artificial to grass matches is 90:10. Such is the nature of youth football nowadays!

"No excuses, but"

Both teams had the same conditions! We are inferior in many aspects at the moment.

Arse handed to us by a guy most people on here have slated and wanted nowhere near us.

Sour grapes mate, stop looking for excuses.

Ive played on Rugby Park’s surface a few times and it is dreadful.

My son trains on a local primary schools artificial surface in Ayrshire and it is far better than Rugby Park’s.

Ironically the people involved at Killie (from youth to first time) acknowledge the lack of quality of the pitch. Killie’s home record since it was laid is shocking! It’s affected them more than the away teams. It was laid purely as a financial cost saving. (ie no expense to rent a training facility when the pitch can be used instead)

Now that new investment has been brought to the club, it’s expected that they’ll replace the surface with grass again!

I agree that artificial surfaces shouldn’t be used in climates where grass is a suitable option!

Another alarming thing is, my son (9 yrs old) has been playing football for 4-5years and the ratio over artificial to grass matches is 90:10. Such is the nature of youth football nowadays!

Better than red ash for the youngster.

The money they spent laying that pitch could of been used to build a proper training centre grass pitches and 1 astro pitch for all the community to play on still charge them money to use it ...

Kilmarnock seemed to manage ok.

My original post was not about the merits of how the two playing squads handled the conditions
yesterday.

It was not about excuses.

It was not about the merits of plastic pitches used at other clubs over the football world.

It was solely about the state and playing condition of the Rugby Park pitch, it is a joke.

The pitch is a joke and the fact it is allowed in the top tier of football in Scotland a bigger one.
However would this thread even exist if we had won yesterday?

I don't think it excuses our performance but that pitch is shocking and makes for horrible TV viewing when watered.

"No excuses, but"

Both teams had the same conditions! We are inferior in many aspects at the moment.

Arse handed to us by a guy most people on here have slated and wanted nowhere near us.

Sour grapes mate, stop looking for excuses.

I'll say it again because some people are finding it difficult to grasp what this discussion is actually about.

There is absolutely nobody on this thread using the surface as an excuse.

The debate is whether the top division in Scotland should be using them and the answer to that should be a resounding NO.

Can you imagine the EPL using them?

We're a f ucking laughing stock up here.

Was told during the week it costs them just as much to upkeep as it did for their grass pitch? But the money made from hiring out pays the costs? No full time professional club should be playing on plastic!!!!!

I cannot say strongly enough how much I detest artificial pitches. They are an abomination, have no place in our game and the one at Killie is among the very worst.

We have been asking players to go out and perform on "grass" pitches like this.

How many times has Hampden been re-laid and the surface is still a disgrace?
There is your embarrassment right there.

nintchdbpict000004540891.jpg

nintchdbpict000004586539.jpg

24150158.jpg

our players are professionals, they could play on sand if asked. Other teams can play on this surface so why cant we, no excuses.

24150158.jpg
Well hopefully we wont have to worry about Hampden in future for games if SFA move games...and the fact their pitch has been relaid several times is down to poor pitch management. The fact remains Killies plastic pitch is an abomination.

If my local non league team can keep a grass pitch in good condition throughout the winter, there is no excuse for Killie. Its just money pinching from them.

24150158.jpg
It’s only embarrassing because of poor pitch maintenance. When was the last time you’ve seen Ibrox in that state?

When have you watched EPL games on those type of mud heaps?

Plastic pitches have no place in top flight football.

Controversial clearly, but I have always preferred playing on 3g... That being said
, poor quality artificial surfaces are terrible.

Pitch technology has improved drastically look at fir park..Easter road etc we are nearing January and there is not a bad grass pitch out there ..

Don’t think your comparing like for like mate as some of the 4g parks are superb but the ones here in our lop league are like nylon carpets. I remember you linesmen complaining to get the park at St.Johnstone changed back to grass as they had put 4g on the bits the linesmen used and they complained it was injuring their joints .

The performance from our garbage team is what beat us.

However, the pitch is shocking. Numerous times you saw players giving up on a ball that would ordinarily skip through to the keeper, only to see the ball bounce hold up as it bounced almost vertically as it landed.

It is a disgraceful playing surface.

Don’t think your comparing like for like mate as some of the 4g parks are superb but the ones here in our lop league are like nylon carpets. I remember you linesmen complaining to get the park at St.Johnstone changed back to grass as they had put 4g on the bits the linesmen used and they complained it was injuring their joints .
Advocaat demanded we had an indoor and outdoor.
As far as I am aware our outside pitch is still only 3g.
Therefor by the rule of advanced technology Kilmarnock's is better.

I say tat, as in all honesty I prefer the 3g, just like a previous poster.
Ibrox is actually a small part artificial.

We are not talking about Loftus Road.
I think there is a place for them.
It can't be, war torn countries started using them and are now producing players and going to the final stages of International tournaments. Yet Scotland thinks we are too good for them, whilst they are to be used in the forthcoming World Cup.

Advocaat demanded we had an indoor and outdoor.
As far as I am aware our outside pitch is still only 3g.
Therefor by the rule of advanced technology Kilmarnock's is better.

I say tat, as in all honesty I prefer the 3g, just like a previous poster.
Ibrox is actually a small part artificial.

We are not talking about Loftus Road.
I think there is a place for them.
It can't be, war torn countries started using them and are now producing players and going to the final stages of International tournaments. Yet Scotland thinks we are too good for them, whilst they are to be used in the forthcoming World Cup.
They are dangerous to knee joints as American football has found out and in cold climates they work differently to warm days, this must be factored in .
As I said earlier it’s that good that the refs and linesmen asked St.J to change back to grass as the 4g was not to their liking especially in the frost.

Talking about other artificial pitches or how garbage we played yesterday is missing the point completely; that Rugby Park pitch is a disgrace. The ball would run and bounce truer on your living room carpet and it looked like running through a sandpit would be easier than running on that.

There are artificial pitches that appear good enough to play football on; my personal choice would be not to have them but I see the merits where the performance between even an average grass pitch and an artificial pitch can be kept narrow. That’s not the case at Kilmarnock and any game shown there on Sky or BT just embarrasses Scottish football every bit as much as the state of the Hampden pitch (notwithstanding the piss poor standard of our play yesterday).

They are dangerous to knee joints as American football has found out and in cold climates they work differently to warm days, this must be factored in .
As I said earlier it’s that good that the refs and linesmen asked St.J to change back to grass as the 4g was not to their liking especially in the frost.
Don't read too much into that about St Johnstone.
Stevie Craven was getting injections into his ankle and ran on the grass to the fury of the groundsman.
Stevie replied to him no need for artificial outside the field of play.
Whole thing got blown out of all proportion.
Some of these groundsmen, who I have respect for the job they do, can be right bawbags.
Groundsman at the tattie dome wanted players and officials to warm up in their trainers and wear their boots during the match.

Glasgow warriors play rugby on the 4g at Scotstoun.
Players getting hauled to the ground and not a whimper about nylon.

I am not one for all this health and safety pish.
The way things are going heading the ball will be banned.

Don't read too much into that about St Johnstone.
Stevie Craven was getting injections into his ankle and ran on the grass to the fury of the groundsman.
Stevie replied to him no need for artificial outside the field of play.
Whole thing got blown out of all proportion.
Some of these groundsmen, who I have respect for the job they do, can be right bawbags.
Groundsman at the tattie dome wanted players and officials to warm up in their trainers and wear their boots during the match.

Glasgow warriors play rugby on the 4g at Scotstoun.
Players getting hauled to the ground and not a whimper about nylon.

I am not one for all this health and safety pish.
The way things are going heading the ball will be banned.
I was working for St. Johnstone at the time and it was not official request mate not a discussion between a linesman and an over zealous grass cutter. The club were requested to put the 4g down in the first place. So craven wasn’t fully fit but wouldn’t use the 4g but players are , surely the SFA should have told Craven to shut up and get on with it.

Back