Club Statement

just not from SD

Wednesday, 01 July 2020, 21:04
by Rangers Football Club

RANGERS & Castore are delighted to confirm the new Ibrox Retail Store will officially open on 1st August 2020, which will be operated by Castore as the clubs official retail partner.

The new Rangers Ibrox Retail Store will be complimented with a number of other key retail sites in Glasgow and further afield, now identified by Castore and Rangers and close to agreement. The Ibrox Retail Store will undergo a £250,000 renovation and become a key venue for all Rangers supporters and on matchdays will be supported with further pop up stores within the Stadium.

Following the today’s unveiling of the 2020/21 home jersey, Rangers continues to look forward to their long term exclusive partnership with Castore, which, for the avoidance of doubt, is a direct agreement between those two companies with no other persons party to the deal.

As previously stated, it offers a fresh start for the Club and a chance to purchase high quality clothing and other products that directly benefit Rangers.

As is common practice in teamwear retail, Castore will form a number of wholesale supply arrangements with high street retailers in the UK and overseas because that is key to the global aspirations of both Castore and Rangers but the purpose of these arrangements will always be to maximise the availability and sales channels for Rangers products.

Rangers exclusive partnership with Castore ensures that Rangers always directly benefits with a royalty from the sale of all of the Rangers products manufactured, distributed and retailed by Castore. This includes all products distributed by Castore to high street retailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we're still dealing indirectly with Sports Direct, who will also benefit from selling our tops (which they will, not everyone will get direct from Castore). That wasn't the narrative presented to us before the launch.
No need to go there other options.

So we're still dealing indirectly with Sports Direct, who will also benefit from selling our tops (which they will, not everyone will get direct from Castore). That wasn't the narrative presented to us before the launch.
Drink your soup. We’ll give you free tops to give out...

why would a company who wants to be "premium sportswear" have a shithouse like SD selling their stuff? It makes no sense. I fear there is more to this than what we have just been told
Can you buy from the club/castore directly? Yes
Do we have the store back? Yes
Do we get all money entitled from every shirt? Yes

That's all that matters for me

We make profit from selling to them. That profit buys us players etc.

So let me get this right, the single use of a word in the SD social media channels had fans on here threatening to return their items without even waiting on an update from Rangers? Those who did should be ashamed of themselves.

As is normal in almost all Clubs across the U.K. stock is going to be supplied by retail outlets such as SD to maximise income revenue, the message is clear - buy direct at OUR store or online.

The thing that worries me and I guess a lot of people is that sports direct are selling it ‘exclusively’. It’s Like Castore have struck a deal with them. Thankfully most supporters are well drilled to buy direct.

So Castore are letting them sell the kits on their behalf? We still get our same % regardless?

Hope Castore know what they are doing because he’ll try and sting them somewhere. I also hope Bears don’t buy strips from SD even if they are 5-10 quid cheaper. You’ll always get some though.

So Sports Direct, who have nothing to do with Rangers or Castore, have bought shirts to sell in their stores. Rangers will still make money from these shirts, but also make sports direct profit. In other words, dont.

Sound about right?
So hopefully Sports Direct get charged for the stock, nobody buys them, we still make our money and they are left with unsold stock. That would be the dream.

why would a company who wants to be "premium sportswear" have a shithouse like SD selling their stuff? It makes no sense. I fear there is more to this than what we have just been told

What I suspect is that case is this - with their capacity for sales Sports Direct could not be written out of Castore selling them product. If they were then the "matching" element of the old contract would kick in - or at least be arguable in court.

The date if 1st August must be significant - I presume that is when the old contact to sell old stock runs out.

If Sports Direct buy stock from Castore then they are doing so like any other business. Their risk if it doesn't sell.

Back