Niko Katic Injured In Training - Likely To Be Out For ‘Foreseeable Future’

Absolutely shite news, hopefully the big guy recovers quickly. We will need to sign a central defender of his quality as we only have Helander and Goldson (both excellent defenders) with no experienced cover.

why, he is raring to go..
Your logic is, "Alright Filip, I know you have been out for a a while and we spent 4 mil on you, but, we are going to go and buy another CB as you have been out for a while?"
We have Goldson, Edmundson, Helander, Mayo , i think we will be ok
That's not my logic.

Similar to when the rumours of Pedro being a disaster very soon after he first arrived, and rumours of Tav‘s appendix problem..... some people just don’t believe what they don’t want to believe.

In their own little world:

Bad news = false story
Good Rangers news = true story

:rolleyes:

As I said.... no smoke without fire! (hopefully the injury doesn’t give a lengthy spell on the sidelines)
What evidence was there of Pedro being a disaster when he arrived? Calling total bullshit on that one. Yes he wasn't a success but he was a totally unknown quantity. Then again if the source of info is a bheast they are experts on taxes, employment law, and now seemingly middle eastern club football.

I’d expect us in normal times to possibly buy a CB but now maybe we’ll try and get a player on loan? I guess the problem with that is we’d be looking at a loanee as 3/4 choice so the person may not play much? Ideal world we’d pick up a guy like Clint Hill. Just my thoughts real shame for the big man.

Similar to when the rumours of Pedro being a disaster very soon after he first arrived, and rumours of Tav‘s appendix problem..... some people just don’t believe what they don’t want to believe.

In their own little world:

Bad news = false story
Good Rangers news = true story

:rolleyes:

As I said.... no smoke without fire! (hopefully the injury doesn’t give a lengthy spell on the sidelines)

Right you are, al away back to my own little world.

Gutted for the big man, looked to be in fantastic shape through lockdown and then this happens, what a sickener.

Now is the time for Gerrard to bring in a big commanding centre half though.

Anyone able to give some insight on whether Mayo is ready to be an option for us this season? Did he have a decent season at Partick? His Transfermarkt page isn't giving much away.

He's a terrific prospect and certainly has the height and physique to cope.
Very good on the ball too.

He only played a few games at Thistle due to the lockdown, but absolutely strolled it.

I also saw him when I went down to Mansfield for the pre season friendly at the start of last season.

He was up against a couple of typically physical English League 1/2 strikers and handled them no problem.

Time will tell if he can make the step up, but I think he could.

Absolutely gutted for Niko.

How's an injury like that happened in pre-season tho.

fxck me it's going to be a long year.

I‘m not sure how it happening during pre-season is different to it happening at any other time? Injuries like that don’t need to be the result of some flying tackle during a game.

Gutted for Niko all the same.

Ligament injuries can happen many ways like sudden changing or direction or suddenly stopping mid sprint or landing awkwardly from a jump

It can happen at any time, but look at the Bundesliga when it came back and the increase in injuries that have occurred.

This long lay-off will result in an increase in injuries throughout football and other sports.

Can happen easily mate unfortunately.

You're right though, it's a long shift ahead for Niko.

Why? And if someone else gets injured we loan in another? Oh, best get one more in case that loanee gets crocked. Hang on...what it he gets injured long term too?

Aye because thats what i mean ffs.

You have 4 recognised centrebacks at the start of preseason.

During preseason 1 picks up one of the worst injuries you can get as a footballer which will more than likely keep him out for the full season.

You dont think we will replace him?

I guarantee you we will, even if only a short-term season loan)

Never great hearing the rumours earlier but knowing its true now is gutting.
Just hope we get in a player good enough to fill the position.

Never happens to that lot!

Anyone able to give some insight on whether Mayo is ready to be an option for us this season? Did he have a decent season at Partick? His Transfermarkt page isn't giving much away.
Thistle fans were raving about him, a couple said they could see him making our side. And that was playing in a largely dreadful team.

Still, it's a big step up for him.

Aside from that, I see a few slating Edmundson as not good enough. I think he's looked very decent anytime he's played.

Feel sorry for Katic, hope he recovers quick without any complications. He’s such a big threat from corners and free kicks, also he would run through a brick wall if it meant he’d get the ball. I think Gerrard will get a CB on loan, I don’t see us buying one

A blow. Need to enter loan market now.

There's a very real possibility that Katic was coming into this season as our 4th choice centre half. We'll never know now of course, but Goldson and Helander are almost certainly the preferred partnership and Edmundson had ousted Katic before the season was prematurely ended.

I think it's worth giving Mayo the spot, if he's considered ready at this stage.

If it had been Helander or Goldson I'd agree, but I think we'll see how Edmundson, Mayo and Bassey look in pre season first.
I think in terms of third choice especially we need a player with more experience than the Scottish Championship and the other having no first team experience whatsoever mate.

Was really looking forward to see Niko he looked in tremendous shape, this is the worst news for him hope he has a speedy recover.

I think in terms of third choice especially we need a player with more experience than the Scottish Championship and the other having no first team experience whatsoever mate.

I think Edmundson will be 3rd choice mate and Mayo and Bassey will be assessed as 4th choice cover.

No question though it's a blow for us and an even bigger one for Niko.

I am really upset at this news, love the way the big guy plays the game, all in as they say, hope he can make a fast recovery and put this behind him?

Back