Eduard v Alfie - price tag

His discipline will lower his price. Simple as that.

Any buying club are going to look at his sending offs and the reasons for them and be cautious. They're not going to take in to account "aye but the refs hate him" either.

We've all watched Alfie in the league and Europe and he has been unplayable at times. He basically got us to the Europa then excelled when we got there. 30 goals before Xmas is effin tremendous. The guy is absolutely brilliant.

Eduoard is as well to be fair. Both are very, very good with very little between them. In the last Old Firm before the break not a person on this earth would watch that game and picked Eduaord over Alfie, his form was patchy in the first months of the season.

Eduoard hit form after the break whereas Alfie struggled. This is all people seem to focus on though. I seen a comment recently that said the average football fan has the memory of a goldfish, which is so accurate.

Loads of people on here, and he has been getting slaughtered on here, have been so quick to downplay how good Alfie is because of his form after the break without remembering how good he actually is and the fact us fans look to him to win basically every game we play.

would be nice to see Morelos given the same ref treatment as Edouard got though

but in Scotland that is never going to happen

Both are very good strikers, one is the joint-top scorer in the Europa League, the other scores goals in the bread and butter of the league. Both will command a decent fee but European goals count for more in terms of suiters.

Honestly I've never seen Edouard have a good game. I really don't get the hype. It's Tim desperation more than anything.

He isn't particularly quick, not strong, two things Dembele had going for him. His goalscoring record means nothing in this league. I don't think he's a great finisher either, he seems to take too long on the ball and would be found out against better opposition.

He plays in a team with good creative attacking midfielders and wingers and as such you'd expect an average striker to bang in 30 goals plus for them. He doesn't.

Market valuations are based on lots of metrics so I'm not going to get into detail about what he should be worth, but for me it is quite simple - Morelos is a far better player by every conceivable metric. Anyone who disagrees simply doesn't understand football or the role of a striker.

Regarding discipline. Diego Costa and Luis Suarez both transferred for megabucks to big clubs.

One is forever stamping, pulling and verbally abusing opposition players and is as famous for his lack of discipline and general cùntishness as he is for his talent. The other has had lengthy suspensions for actually biting opposition players (3 times in total with three different teams!) including once on the biggest stage of all in front of the watching world, he was also suspended for aiming a racial slur at an opposition player.

Last edited:
Is it just about how rich the selling club is? Is it that Shame FC don't need to sell?

I have Eduard slighlty ahead of Alfie for two reasons:

1. Scores against us
2. Calmer finisher and wastes less chances

BUT Alfie scores in Europe and Eduard doesn't and Alfie is on edges of Colombia national squad which is incredible achievement.

But I keep reading he is valued at £30m and Alfie at as low as £10m. Why?

Is it just that clubs see us as 'cash poor'?
Is it filth having reputation as 'standing firm' in negotiations?
Is it Alfie's apparent huffs and fluctuations in form?

Alfie plays for Rangers, the other plays for them. That's the Scottish media pack for you. Tim lickspittles and apologists to a man.

I would say edouard is more clinical and more consistent. Alfredo when he is on it, no defender can handle him. He’s just not on it like that enough YET. Before christmas Morelos is probably the best striker i’ve seen in Scotland, unplayable regardless of opposition.

I think the biggest thing is eduard is a good player but I can't see him improving much more than he currently is.

Morelos I think still can go up a few levels if he could find a level of consistency.

There's no doubting a full season of Alfie on form he would easily return 60 goals up here.

Edoard I think could hit 30/40.

Both are good players but alfies potential is so much more

Look at the last games the 2 were on the pitch together - Alfie absolutely bullied their defenders and did everything but score.. Eduoard did nothing, was completely marked out the game by our centre halves yet he gets accredited a goal that came off his hand and should never have counted. Stats can be deceiving and in recent games against each other Alfie has looked far superior.

It would be daft to say they both aren’t phenomenal talents, whilst different strikers. Buff being ahead in his development may command a slightly smaller fee. Edouard is more silky but when the chips are down you want Alfies determination and power. They should both be around the 20 mil mark.
Also I think the way a lot of teams play now with a lone striker suits Alfie more.

I would rather have our guy when taking the blue specs off.

Folk are wild, mate.

Dembele went for a sizeable chunk because he did well in Europe. His goals against us were irrelevant.

You don’t think Lyon forked out £20m for Dembele because they saw what he did to Rob Kiernan, Danny Wilson and Philipe Senderos and thought “ooft, if he’s rag dolling top class centre backs like that imagine the damage he could do in Ligue 1”?

Look at the last games the 2 were on the pitch together - Alfie absolutely bullied their defenders and did everything but score.. Eduoard did nothing, was completely marked out the game by our centre halves yet he gets accredited a goal that came off his hand and should never have counted. Stats can be deceiving and in recent games against each other Alfie has looked far superior.
I agree I couldn’t give a toss if Alfie didn’t score against them so long as he roughs them up and we win. Thinking of our two December wins.

Exactly.

The truth is Morelos has out-performed Edouard in Old Firm games, but the 'stats' help skew the myth in Edouard's favour despite him being fairly ineffectual the majority of the team. I've yet to see him do anything of note which would striker fear into our defenders, whereas Morelos clearly has them worried every time he has the ball. That's the difference. One's an SPFL level goalscorer, one is European level striker who has far more to his game.

Any Rangers player will always be priced lower by the SMSM.
That’s why i don’t bother reading any of their tripe.

You don’t think Lyon forked out £20m for Dembele because they saw what he did to Rob Kiernan, Danny Wilson and Philipe Senderos and thought “ooft, if he’s rag dolling top class centre backs like that imagine the damage he could do in Ligue 1”?
Thanks for my PTSD mate appreciated, coincidentally Dembele has flopped in all Lyon’s European games. Whilst Alf has tore it up (yes I know champions league to Europa, Lyon’s champo group was similar to our Europa group though). Sam Cosgrove can score against the diddy teams and occasionally us, does that mean he’s a great player ?. Absolutely not, very weird argument that OF goals are the be all and end all.

did Edouard even do anything in the 2nd half of the game in December? I don't even think I remember him having a shot or making anything happen

first half he had the ball that came off his arm and made Clancy jump in the air. The game at Ibrox he didn't do much other than beat an offside trap and finish the ball into the net with no-one around him. At least with Dembele, he looked like a player who could go to a different level of league and has done pretty well in Ligue 1 which isn't as major as the PL/La Liga but is still a better level than Scotland

Why do people genuinely believe that clubs in England/Europe will value old firm goals over goals in European football? To the many who are parroting this timmy inspired bollocks, please explain.

When it was dembele being punted it was the European argument "aye but he's scored in the champions league". Now that morelos has blown Edouard out of the water in that respect, that argument has strangely dissapeared. Now it's "but hes scored for France u21s". This despite the fact that Morelos has scored for Colombias full national team and has several full caps in a team full of players from serie A, the EPL and more. Mental gymnastics.

Thanks for my PTSD mate appreciated, coincidentally Dembele has flopped in all Lyon’s European games. Whilst Alf has tore it up (yes I know champions league to Europa, Lyon’s champo group was similar to our Europa group though). Sam Cosgrove can score against the diddy teams and occasionally us, does that mean he’s a great player ?. Absolutely not, very weird argument that OF goals are the be all and end all.

Yeah but did you not see Celtic away to PSG when one of their players hit a shot and it deflected off Dembele’s arse and into the net? Now that’s real quality, thats what brings in the big bucks. In much the same way Edouard’s basketball like goal at the piggery in December elevates him.

Last edited:
Is it just about how rich the selling club is? Is it that Shame FC don't need to sell?

1. Scores against us

BUT Alfie scores in Europe and Eduard doesn't and Alfie is on edges of Colombia national squad which is incredible achievement.

They are different types of players and I would actually value them around the same price. Edouard is a much more technical player than Alfredo and is more composed in front of goal (eventhough if Alfredo missed some of the chances I seen edouard miss last season people would go of their nut). On the other hand I believe alfredo is a better goalscorer and can bully a full defence by himself i would still class him as a big game player as he score is every other big game except against them. They are both great players and should both being going for big fees

Yeah but did you not see Celtic away to PSG when one of their players hit a shot and it deflected off Dembele’s arse and into the net? Now that’s real quality, what’s what brings in the big bucks. In much the same way Edouard’s basketball like goal at the piggery in December elevates him.
I am a big believer in stats when used correctly, examples like yours limit the validity of such data. The only reason plausible for Edouard having a higher valuation is hes a decent bit younger oh and his 8 goals against Erskine amateurs for France u21s.

They are different types of players and I would actually value them around the same price. Edouard is a much more technical player than Alfredo and is more composed in front of goal (eventhough if Alfredo missed some of the chances I seen edouard miss last season people would go of their nut). On the other hand I believe alfredo is a better goalscorer and can bully a full defence by himself i would still class him as a big game player as he score is every other big game except against them. They are both great players and should both being going for big fees
I tried to say similar but you have worded it a lot better.

Wasn't aware that goals against lesser opponents were allowed to be counted

It’s such a pedantic argument anyway when taking those goals away still leaves a very impressive tally against real quality sides. This is where I’m at a loss here at times, clutching at straws to actually downplay his individual achievement in Europe is only something that should be seen in the Scottish media or on a mentally challenged forum, not here.

1. Scores against us

the press where we read about isa huge point

if edouard played for us it’d be he’s worth ten and alfie 30 and alfie would be determined and edoard huffy and moody

Edouard is a great finisher, no doubt about that but he needs his midfield to do all the work and set him up for a reasonable chance of hitting the target and when they do it's clinical. Morelos will make his own scoring chances and set himself up. The main difference for me between the two is the size of the cojonas, ( balls). Alfredo is fearless, Edouard fearful.
As it stands the only thing that lot have is that Alfie hasn't scored against them. Once he has they'll shut up and the SMSM will bang an extra 10m on his price tag. I always stick a tenner on Alfie hitting a hattrick against them

I’m old fashioned in the sense that I like Rangers strikers to score against the filth, the wee mans record against them is abysmal, it’s a huge black mark against him.

Edouard will go for more I don't think there's any doubt about that. I said this on another thread but Celtic have a track record of selling players in recent years and many have gone onto better things like Wanyama, Forster, Dembele, Tierney. That track record plus the fact Celtic have been winning everything up here means other clubs see them as a trusted source of talent.

We're currently trying to build that same reputation. Hopefully in years to come we'll have made profits on the likes of Barisic, Kamara, Aribo etc.

Morelos' performances in the Europa League this season show what he can do. He's a one man wrecking ball and perfect for teams playing one up front. However as much as he's targeted in Scotland he still has too many brain farts when he reacts to something or goes down too easy.

My honest valuation of Morelos is around £15m with a sell on fee. Would obviously love it to be more. He's a proven goal scorer who can get even better and play at the very top but the only thing stopping him is himself at the moment.

It’s such a pedantic argument anyway when taking those goals away still leaves a very impressive tally against real quality sides. This is where I’m at a loss here at times, clutching at straws to actually downplay his individual achievement in Europe is only something that should be seen in the Scottish media or on a mentally challenged forum, not here.
Exactly even if you discount those goals he is joint top scorer in the competition proper

Dont know why our own fans undervalue alfie! I trust gerrard to make the right decision but personally ill be disappointed if we lose him for less than 20

It’s also worth pointing out that the press valuations and how the mhank support value their players, has no bearing whatsoever on their transfer fee.

Do we honestly think club chairman and directors at Arsenal and Lyon for example, when paying big money for Dembele and Tierney, listen and take heed of Keith Jackson and Bill Leckie and other no Mark Scottish hacks?

celtic have the press sown up , and their players are getting bummed up for inflated prices

we have employed David Graham and part of his remit should be getting getting on top of the press and making sure our players prices are inflated also

Alfie, didn't/doesn't have a discipline problem. The scottish mhedia gave him one and now it is sticking to him while others who do more damage to our game get plaudits by the same people.

This is delusional

He is reffed to harsher standards but to suggest he doesn’t have any problems is ridiculous

Our own manager has even acknowledged his discipline issues.

The Scottish media don’t force him to kick out at opponents, sly stamps, kicks etc.

I personally think Eduoard is a better player and will go on to have a more successful career as in staunch as that makes me.

He changed the game when he came on against us and always looks calm and collective and there is never a danger of him losing the plot and getting a red card. Great technique as well.

They should be sold for roughly the same price but with him scoring against us, that lot getting more for their players and the fact a think he is slightly better is why a see them getting about 5 million more.

He scored 4 in 8 Europa league games and 2 in 6 champions league a quick search show and is being tipped as for the French national team.

Listening to Lafferty on Si Ferry it was interesting to hear him say he thinks Morelos struggles to play with someone up top. On his day he is outstanding and a think is more reliant on instinct than technique and his hold up play is great but he has let us down once too often.

Fact is tho if you state an opinion and say you rate Eduard better you're automatically regarded as one a them when the reality is you just dont have the blue tinted specs on and can have an opinion of your own.

Back