Thoughts of Marco Negri ?

davyboy83

What's everyone's thoughts of Negri ? He had a tremendous 6 months when he first arrived , then got eye injury and hardly kicked a ball after that . He seems to be everywhere talking about rangers these days . I remember reading Amoruso's autobiography and he didn't seem very keen on him ?

What's everyone's thoughts of Negri ? He had a tremendous 6 months when he first arrived , then got eye injury and hardly kicked a ball after that . He seems to be everywhere talking about Rangers these days . I remember reading Amoruso's autobiography and he didn't seem very keen on him ?

If Negri hadn’t gone into a cream puff due to his ‘eye injury’, we’d have won TIAR.

Good player who was in the process of making himself a great then he fvcked it never to be seen again until the last year or so which i find bizarre .
I'd forgot about him till he was bringing his book out , then he was suddenly declaring his love for rangers very conveniently.

The fact we didn't doesn't reflect very well on the rest of the squad. Negri was a problem but he was far from the only one.

Even with Negri's goals we couldn't shake Celtic off because our goalkeeper and defence were absolutely shit that season.
I always look back at the 1-1 draw v the poets as the game we fvcked 10iar that year which was a game negri scored in. We were 1 up with a couple of mins to go and thern spurns a great chance and instead of missing by skying a shot to the stands its a passback effort to their goalie who punts the ball up the park for us to concede a stuping freekick from which they equalise.
If we had held on the wind would have came out their sails but instead it happened to us.

It wasn’t all his fault for us missing the 10. I do however find it strange that he has recently become a social media Rangers “legend“. Honestly don’t think he should have the audacity to highlight his “career” with us. He was a player that could have broken all sorts of records and become one of the all time greats. For whatever reason, he threw it all away.

Are you honestly blaming Negri for not winning 10 in a row ?

The fact we didn't doesn't reflect very well on the rest of the squad. Negri was a problem but he was far from the only one.

Even with Negri's goals we couldn't shake Celtic off because our goalkeeper and defence were absolutely shit that season.

It wasn’t just down to Negri, of course not, but the fact we lost the title by just two points at the very death has always made me convinced that if Negri had remained focussed and in form he would have been worth more points to us than that.

By way of example, we scored a massive 51 goals up until the turn of the year with Negri contributing 30 of them, but then just 25 more in the second half of the season with the Italian enigma adding just 3 more.

It was undeniably a massive factor.

If were talking the first 6 month.he was as good a Finnisher as I've seen.the rest only he knows the truth

I always look back at the 1-1 draw v the poets as the game we fvcked 10iar that year which was a game negri scored in. We were 1 up with a couple of mins to go and thern spurns a great chance and instead of missing by skying a shot to the stands its a passback effort to their goalie who punts the ball up the park for us to concede a stuping freekick from which they equalise.
If we had held on the wind would have came out their sails but instead it happened to us.

We threw it away in two games for me; losing 1-0 to a Stephen Glass goal at Pittodrie and losing against Killie at Ibrox. I was just a kid at 11 or 12, but I was at both games and remember the disappointment vividly. Up until then I had grown up with Rangers winning everything, and it was around this period that I began to understand that we weren’t invincible. Ally Mitchell, who scored the winning goal for Killie at Ibrox, was my next door neighbour at the time and I remember being quite cheeky to him about his goal. He just laughed though. What a disaster that season was!

It wasn’t just down to Negri, of course not, but the fact we lost the title by just two points at the very death has always made me convinced that if Negri had remained focussed and in form he would have been worth more points to us than that.

By way of example, we scored a massive 51 goals up until the turn of the year with Negri contributing 30 of them, but then just 25 more in the second half of the season with the Italian enigma adding just 3 more.

It was undeniably a massive factor.
The way I see it personally and the way I seem to remember was our squad wasn't the biggest, we had injuries to Amoruso and McLaren at the back, Gough if i remember returned from the US after departing after 9IAR, hardly a good preparation in its own when the Captain leaves after 9, Walter Smith revealed to the squad it was going to be his last season, heads ultimately went down after the Christmas period, we only lost once to Celtc that season, silly dropped points against Dunfermline etc, all in all it was a multitude of failings to blame for me, Negri was part of that but every single member of Rangers staff is the blame in equal measure for me.

The way I see it personally and the way I seem to remember was our squad wasn't the biggest, we had injuries to Amoruso and McLaren at the back, Gough if i remember returned from the US after departing after 9IAR, hardly a good preparation in its own when the Captain leaves after 9, Walter Smith revealed to the squad it was going to be his last season, heads ultimately went down after the Christmas period, we only lost once to Celtc that season, silly dropped points against Dunfermline etc, all in all it was a multitude of failings to blame for me, Negri was part of that but every single member of Rangers staff is the blame in equal measure for me.

Didnt murray tell smith during that season that would in fact be his last season ie he was no longer required?

We threw it away in two games for me; losing 1-0 to a Stephen Glass goal at Pittodrie and losing against Killie at Ibrox. I was just a kid at 11 or 12, but I was at both games and remember the disappointment vividly. Up until then I had grown up with Rangers winning everything, and it was around this period that I began to understand that we weren’t invincible. Ally Mitchell, who scored the winning goal for Killie at Ibrox, was my next door neighbour at the time and I remember being quite cheeky to him about his goal. He just laughed though. What a disaster that season was!
I'm 37 now so probably similar age to you by sounds of it. We beat the tramps 2-0 then got beat from the sheep , I think amo got sent off up there. I was at the killie game when mitchell scored and remember breaking my heart walking down the stairs in the broomloan rear that day after the game. I've been gutted a lot of times leaving the ground , but that day was worse I've ever felt.

Didnt murray tell smith during that season that would in fact be his last season ie he was no longer required?
I'm not sure, could easily have been the case, Smith would still have had to tell the squad which in my opinion should have been kept under wraps until the season was complete, size of our squad for competing on a domestic front and in Europe was nowhere near the required size either... Still gutted to this day.

The way I see it personally and the way I seem to remember was our squad wasn't the biggest, we had injuries to Amoruso and McLaren at the back, Gough if i remember returned from the US after departing after 9IAR, hardly a good preparation in its own when the Captain leaves after 9, Walter Smith revealed to the squad it was going to be his last season, heads ultimately went down after the Chritmas period, we only lost once to Celtc that season, silly dropped points against Dunfermline etc, all in all it was a multitude of failings to blame for me, Negri was part of that but every single member of Rangers staff is the blame in equal measure for me.

We had a massive squad at the outset. We bought Amoruso, Porrini, Negri, Thern, Gattuso, Stensaas, Johansson, Vidmar and Niemi for a record £15m, our biggest ever glut of summer signings. We were going for TIAR big time.

Amoruso and Laudrup missing big chunks of the season with injury was a large part of our failure, Goram and Gascoigne looking spent forces another, but Negri suddenly going into a huff when he had been on a record breaking run of form was undeniably a massive factor too.

I'm not sure, could easily have been the case, Smith would still have had to tell the squad which in my opinion should have been kept under wraps until the season was complete, size of our squad for competing on a domestic front and in Europe was nowhere near the required size either... Still gutted to this day.

While ultimately it was down to ourselves it was compounded by the fact that mentally challengeds team was average at best.

They stumbled across the finishing line.

He scored a shit load in the first half of the season but was more interested in scoring with Porrini's missus in the second.

Never looked happy yet fast forward ten year. He claims playing for Rangers was a happy time in his life. Coincidentally he had just released his book.

His natural goal scoring talents could have made him an Italian international and one of the most sought after strikers in Europe. That it never happened, he has only himself to blame.

He is an easy scapegoats for the failure to get the 10. The same people who pin all the blame on him are usually very quiet when talking about The performance that season of Goram (severely overweight ) , Gazza ( dreadful for his half a season before we punted him) and Walter (had ran out of ideas, lost a title to the worst team to be Champions in last 35 years).

The squad was huge. Unbelievably bloated in fact. Remember the reserve game where we had something like 9 first teamers playing against a plooky bunch of Tims kids down to 9 men and only drawing 1-1 ? There was guys in that squad who were never going to kick a ball for us. The money we must've wasted on wages that year was obscene.

The SOS to Gough should never have been required and reeked of panic. Amoruso and McLaren were injured but you still had Bjorklund, Petric, Vidmar, Porrini and Moore to play centre back.

We had a massive squad at the outset. We bought Amoruso, Porrini, Negri, Thern, Gattuso, Stensaas, Johansson, Vidmar and Niemi for a record £15m, our biggest ever glut of summer signings. We were going for TIAR big time.

Amoruso and Laudrup missing big chunks of the season with injury was a large part of our failure, Goram and Gascoigne looking spent forces another, but Negri suddenly going into a huff when he had been on a record breaking run of form was undeniably a massive factor too.
The squad was huge. Unbelievably bloated in fact. Remember the reserve game where we had something like 9 first teamers playing against a plooky bunch of Tims kids down to 9 men and only drawing 1-1 ? There was guys in that squad who were never going to kick a ball for us. The money we must've wasted on wages that year was obscene.

The SOS to Gough should never have been required and reeked of panic. Amoruso and McLaren were injured but you still had Bjorklund, Petric, Vidmar, Porrini and Moore to play centre back.
I'm just looking back now at squad, indeed we had a large pool of players however the appearance ratio is shocking and as you say the money wasteage must have been ridiculous, I do remember after 9 a few players had retired and some were sold or released, just seeing the amount of injuries we had within the squad was horrendous...

A real enigma of a player, looked like he was going to smash goal scoring records that season and then faded away completely.

His recent return to the Rangers fold has been equally baffling. I’d imagine he must harbour a lot of regrets about how things turned out after that initial 6 month period.

Re his recent outpouring of love for the club and people calling him a fly man.

I doubt he is making many blue pounds from it. I am happy to take him at face value.

As for on the pitch he should be remembered as a all time legend. What a finisher he was. Its a shame how it went after they 6 months.

he isn't the sole reason why we lost out on TIAR but if he had scored 50-60 goals that season and he was certainly on course for it, we'd have won the title - even with a poor defence

What's everyone's thoughts of Negri ? He had a tremendous 6 months when he first arrived , then got eye injury and hardly kicked a ball after that . He seems to be everywhere talking about Rangers these days . I remember reading Amoruso's autobiography and he didn't seem very keen on him ?
Waster who disappeared and came back when he had a book to sell no time for him.

I doubt he is making many blue pounds from it. I am happy to take him at face value.

As for on the pitch he should be remembered as a all time legend. What a finisher he was. Its a shame how it went after they 6 months.
A legend . Away tae fk.. .. we never heard from him untill he wanted a book sold..

I have no idea how long you have to be at rangers to qualify as 'a all time legend' but it sure as hell aint 6 months without a trophy to your name at the end of it either.

What a finisher. Shame he couldnt just concentrate his efforts ON the pitch. He could have won TIAR single handed.

Get what you mean but for me no one is called a legend after only 6 good months. Not smiling after scoring a goal rips my knitting, don't dislike the guy more of what could have been I think

Back