The Athletic discuss the potential sale of Morelos

Morelos is a gamble either way now.

I'm more on the side of sell him and reinvest but the current market makes it tricky. He's let us down too many times now and it's hard to see next season going any other way.

Our teams been built round him for 2 seasons now, we're overly reliant on him. Teams know exactly how we'll set up and they know if they target him they'll get some leniency from referees.

I'd love Alfredo to be the one to fire us to glory, but I'd love the club to take in a decent transfer fee and revolutionise I style our play and take everyone by surprise next season.

It's a conundrum in the hands of Gerrard, Wilson and the scouting team but I think I'm definitely more on the side of 'sell'.

I’m torn. Part thinks he will screw the nut and be an asset.

Other part thinks he will be in the stands most of the time.

Probably sell if we get anywhere close to our valuation and finally build a title challenging side.

IMO now is the time for him to go, provided it’s a substantial bid. Love Alfie and grateful for his service, he’d go with best wishes. Our team has to evolve and I feel like now is the time to freshen up our attacking options.

Yes he scores a barrel load but misses games and also reduces us to 10 in a few also. We need midfielders that are going to get 10-15 goals a season and two strikers that will score 20 each as a minimum. I think we’re getting to a point where he needs to be sold so we can move forward

Alfredo is a fantastic player but there are so many extraneous factors surrounding him. From racist mhedia campaigns, cheating referees and his temperament.
Focused and on his game he is a valuable asset.
Gerrard has a huge decision to make and if Alfredo sees his future elsewhere, then I wouldn't hesitate to sell him. It would be the best for both parties. We must hold out for at least 30m. The English transfer market pays much more for inferior players.

I think its best for him as a person and a footballer if he moves on and also good for us as a club to cash in and reinvest the money in the squad..

I want our best player to stay, but get someone of a similar style in to help him out so the pressure isn’t always on him, we’re not winning the league with only Alfie and Defoe who are complete opposites, we need another high level option.

absolutely

He won’t change he won’t knuckle down during lockdown proved that we have to try and cash in if a genuine interest is there. We won’t win anything with Alfie he just can’t put it together over a season if he did we’d probably have a trophy or three.

With regards to selling him - be careful what you wish for. Replacing a guy who scores the amount he does isn’t easy

The very same people itching to punt Morelos will be the same ones losing their shit when our new striker can’t hit a coo on the erse wi a banjo .

I don’t understand it - we wait ten years for someone like Alfie to come along and then some want him gone .

If we get a good offer I’m in no doubt we will sell and reinvest in the team.

Really have no idea how he will perform this season. He could get his head down and progress even further from the player we saw the first half of last season or he could get back to old habits with his discipline and generally not look interested.

For that reason we are probably now at the stage where we are actively looking to sell.

Alfie has improved considerably in each of his seasons with us.

The question is whether he continues to improve and that this season trumps last season. If so, he's the absolute key to us winning the title.

I'd be happy to keep him in normal times, but given the current global issues it makes it an even easier decision.

Keep him. Raise his stock. Win 55. Leave a legend and with a hefty price tag.

if he goes, then the Scottish press/refs will find a new target

the trick here is "get new refs that aren't poisoned by their masters" and then we'll see how good Morelos is. I am aware that he's had yellow/reds in Europe but unfortunately he's going to pick cards up because that's his style

I’m torn. Part thinks he will screw the nut and be an asset.

Other part thinks he will be in the stands most of the time.

Probably sell if we get anywhere close to our valuation and finally build a title challenging side.
This is where I am too.
Really want him to win trophies with us but he can’t seem to keep a lid on his emotions and ends up letting us down.

The Slimming world loyal being the worst offenders.

Three seasons in a row he has went missing in the second half of the season tell me why wanting our main goal threat to produce and win us trophies is a bad thing?

The team is built round him and he just doesn’t produce in the second and most important part of the season and it hurts us .

I don’t see why some get all worked up at some people pointing that out because it’s true.

Three seasons in a row he has went missing in the second half of the season tell me why wanting our main goal threat to produce and win us trophies is a bad thing?

The team is built round him and he just doesn’t produce in the second and most important part of the season and it hurts us .

I don’t see why some get all worked up at some people pointing that out because it’s true.
Maybe there is some merit in keeping him until Christmas, then sell him when his stock is at its highest? Personally I am fed up with the speculation.

Imo the time for him to move on is now, we simply cant rely on him for a full season. He will be targeted from game 1, and he has proved he cant take that presure.

I love Alfredo but I think selling him now would allow us to go and strengthen the team which could be the difference in us winning the league. A bit like Liverpool selling Coutinho which allowed them to go and buy Van Dijk and Alisson. We could potentially sell Alfredo and replace him with two different types of strikers as well as having money to buy a winger or midfielder.

He evidently wants to go and we could do with the cash. Obviously a risk in replacing perhaps our most important player but, equally, For the use we got out of him in 2020, wouldn’t it have been better if he’d gone in January?

The team is built around him because he is an exceptional talent, but he is also flawed and will lose form, but due to us having no real cover for him when he loses form we continue to play him and play him until he loses all confidence, that is not his fault.

We need better options to cope with a league season, not just Morelos and a completely opposite in style player in Defoe. The pressure put on Morelos, a young guy we plucked from Finland has been utterly ridiculous, culminating in people like yourself blaming him almost exclusively for any of our ills, it’s demented.

Our last title winning side had Jelavic, Naismith, Diouff, Miller, the good version of Lafferty and Velicka who chipped in with goals toward the end.

Our problem is NOT Morelos, it’s not having more like him up front.

I want our best player to stay, but get someone of a similar style in to help him out so the pressure isn’t always on him, we’re not winning the league with only Alfie and Defoe who are complete opposites, we need another high level option.
Sadly Defoe is not fit to play a run of games if Alfie gets another suspension or god forbid injury . We seen last season we need another top striker to fill the hole as we have to admit as much as defoe is quality his best days are behind him now and will pick up nightly little injuries

When he goes we will miss him, one of my favourite ever players, just something about him that makes him different from the rest.

Morelos going, with the money it’ll bring in and the correct reinvestment in the squad has a better chance of us winning the title.

Morelos, cracking player that he is, stays then we don’t win the league.

Last edited:
The team is built around him because he is an exceptional talent, but he is also flawed and will lose form, but due to us having no real cover for him when he loses form we continue to play him and play him until he loses all confidence, that is not his fault.

We need better options to cope with a league season, not just Morelos and a completely opposite in style player in Defoe. The pressure put on Morelos, a young guy we plucked from Finland has been utterly ridiculous, culminating in people like yourself blaming him almost exclusively for any of our ills, it’s demented.

Our last title winning side had Jelavic, Naismith, Diouff, Miller, the good version of Lafferty and Velicka who chipped in with goals toward the end.

Our problem is NOT Morelos, it’s not having more like him up front.

To say Morelos isn’t the problem is worrying mate you must see has hasn’t kicked on after Xmas?

No doubting his talent that’s why further up I posted if he could put it together over a season we’d have a trophy or three but my point is he hasn’t. We just can’t gamble on him anymore imo to give us one full season. Still so petulant and the fact after his public call out from Gerrard for not turning up on time he still didn’t knuckle down I just don’t see how we can hang our hat in this guy to win us a trophy!

If he’s worth what some people on here claim then we couldn’t replace him.
Like everyone else on here I love the wee guy and the way he plays.
Let’s say he stays and screws the nut, he will be abused, inTIMidated, refereed differently and get racially abused ( that won’t get mentioned).
He also needs support in his position to try and create more space for him to do his job properly.
I feel Haji can be a big player for us this season and could help Alfredo a lot.

To say Morelos isn’t the problem is worrying mate you must see has hasn’t kicked on after Xmas?

No doubting his talent that’s why further up I posted if he could put it together over a season we’d have a trophy or three but my point is he hasn’t. We just can’t gamble on him anymore imo to give us one full season. Still so petulant and the fact after his public call out from Gerrard for not turning up on time he still didn’t knuckle down I just don’t see how we can hang our hat in this guy to win us a trophy!
Roundabout the time the press went after his personal life yeah?

Players aren't emotionless robots mate.

They're terrified of him, he got Hollicommed.

Stop doing our enemies work for them.

Something always seems to get in the way of his move. Usually its his own behaviour to be fair, but Covid has undoubtedly had an impact on the transfer fee's that will be paid for players.
This could see us hold on to a guy who's on a long term contract and joint top goalscorer in the Europa League.

The issue isn't Alfredo's ill discipline (not going to debate the refereeing side of it)
The issue is we have a guy that for the first half of the season (along with a helping hand from JD) scored the majority of our goals. Come the new year and his suspensions creeping in, his going AWOL and the goals dried up, where we fell down is that his team mates let us down.
Defensively we were more than fine, going forward we were terrible. If you don't have goals coming from all over the park regularly you're not going to win the title. It is unrealistic to expect Alfredo to carry us to a title single handily. Kent, Arfield, Aribo, Davis, Jack, Kamara all played the majority of our games. The goal return from them was a source of embarrassment particularly when contrasted with Celtic's midfield players. Sort that, we win the league IMO.

It's time for him to move on with everyones best wishes.

He's a good talent but he's never proven he can do it over a full season.

Sell him, reinvest the cash in a couple of starter quality players and we'll be in a stronger position to win the league next season.

Roundabout the time the press went after his personal life yeah?

Players aren't emotionless robots mate.

They're terrified of him, he got Hollicommed.

Stop doing our enemies work for them.

I do get that he will have been affected but what about the other two years hollicom didn’t make him lash out at Brown and put us down to ten in a game that ended our title hopes. Hollicom didn’t make him dive when he should’ve burst the net at Parkhead because he was scared of missing another chance and cost us with his suspension again.

Back