Chairmen of Ayr and Cowdenbeath call for American style Commissioner to run the SPFL

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Scottish football should appoint a US-style commissioner as part of a shake-up of SPFL leadership, say two club chairmen.

Ayr United's Lachlan Cameron, who is based in the US, and Donald Findlay of Cowdenbeath believe decision-making powers should be taken away from clubs.

The major American sport leagues - the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL - have commissioners who act for clubs.

"We've got 42 clubs all with their own self-interest," Cameron said.

"I think we'd be better off putting a person in a position to make decisions for the benefit of the league as a whole. The way you would change that commissioner would be to vote them out.

"You then take the vested, self-interest out of it. You have someone making decisions for the benefit of the league as a whole and they don't take individual clubs into consideration. It just makes it much cleaner in my opinion."

At the moment major decisions for the SPFL, led by chief executive Neil Doncaster and a board, must be put to a vote of all 42 clubs, which has caused controversy amid the vote to curtail the season.

It ended with relegated clubs Hearts and Partick Thistle taking legal action, and they now await their arbitration case being heard.

"You need somebody in charge of the organisation," Cowdenbeath chairman Findlay told the BBC's Scottish football podcast.

"For a long time what I thought bedevilled Scottish football was that nobody was in charge and that's why I very much agree with Lachlan's model.

"We need strong leadership, but we haven't had it, we need it now and we absolutely need to get this right before we start the next season."

Meanwhile, Cameron confirmed that he would give financial help to Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers, who asked for support in their legal battle, as Hearts and Thistle attempt to stop the trio's promotions.

However the money will not come from Ayr's funds.

"I just think it's the right thing to do," Cameron said. "I think its important to support the clubs that are, in my opinion, being unfairly persecuted here, which are the three promoted clubs."

For a long time what I thought bedevilled Scottish football was that nobody was in charge and that's why I very much agree with Lachlan's model.

Someone is in charge all right. Look at the only club benefitting from all this corruption and it’s easy to se someone is definitely in charge. Pig eyed Pete.

A far bigger issue, is why do clubs like Ayr and Cowdenbeath deserve a say? Can anyone imagine Tranmere dictating the way forward for the premiership? Nah me neither. Ayr and Cowdenbeath, are closer in size to Pollok juniors than Rangers, its utterly ridiculous theyve got a voice. No wonder people dismiss the football up here as tinpot

It sounds like a reasonably good idea until you get to who would install them and how easily got at they’d be.
they’d need to be.

The my think the commissioner works for the clubs?

They clearly haven’t paid attention to the barnies that often break out between Roger Goddell and the franchises in the NFL

Scottish football should appoint a US-style commissioner as part of a shake-up of SPFL leadership, say two club chairmen.

Ayr United's Lachlan Cameron, who is based in the US, and Donald Findlay of Cowdenbeath believe decision-making powers should be taken away from clubs.

The major American sport leagues - the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL - have commissioners who act for clubs.

"We've got 42 clubs all with their own self-interest," Cameron said.

"I think we'd be better off putting a person in a position to make decisions for the benefit of the league as a whole. The way you would change that commissioner would be to vote them out.

"You then take the vested, self-interest out of it. You have someone making decisions for the benefit of the league as a whole and they don't take individual clubs into consideration. It just makes it much cleaner in my opinion."

At the moment major decisions for the SPFL, led by chief executive Neil Doncaster and a board, must be put to a vote of all 42 clubs, which has caused controversy amid the vote to curtail the season.

It ended with relegated clubs Hearts and Partick Thistle taking legal action, and they now await their arbitration case being heard.

"You need somebody in charge of the organisation," Cowdenbeath chairman Findlay told the BBC's Scottish football podcast.

"For a long time what I thought bedevilled Scottish football was that nobody was in charge and that's why I very much agree with Lachlan's model.

"We need strong leadership, but we haven't had it, we need it now and we absolutely need to get this right before we start the next season."

Meanwhile, Cameron confirmed that he would give financial help to Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers, who asked for support in their legal battle, as Hearts and Thistle attempt to stop the trio's promotions.

However the money will not come from Ayr's funds.

"I just think it's the right thing to do," Cameron said. "I think its important to support the clubs that are, in my opinion, being unfairly persecuted here, which are the three promoted clubs."

aye all very good and well intended ! But couple of issues.

1, how do we get shot of the current cabal.

2, whilst Liewell is around this will never happen unless he is the commissioner!

3, who elects said commissioner (see no 2.)

A far bigger issue, is why do clubs like Ayr and Cowdenbeath deserve a say? Can anyone imagine Tranmere dictating the way forward for the premiership? Nah me neither. Ayr and Cowdenbeath, are closer in size to Pollok juniors than Rangers, its utterly ridiculous theyve got a voice. No wonder people dismiss the football up here as tinpot
I agree,they should have a level of influence but only in their own league,they and other clubs like them should have no say in what happens in the top league.

A commissioner wouldn't really fix anything to be honest. You'd still get incompetent twats regardless of title. Also, a commissioner still has to get the go-ahead from member clubs for sanctioning any resolutions. Other than a fancy sounding job title, is it really different to what we already have fùcking up our game?

How can there be any assurances that we get a completely neutral individual to run our game.

That’s what created the Premier League down in England. The big clubs felt it was ludicrous that they had the same level of say as clubs in the lower leagues so decided to break away.

The NFL has a commissioner but nothing happens in the league without the approval of the owners.

The idea that Roger Goodell just makes shit happen in the NFL on his own is nonsense from people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

That’s what created the Premier League down in England. The big clubs felt it was ludicrous that they had the same level of say as clubs in the lower leagues so decided to break away.
We had that here but then in the desperation to keep the Rangers cash cow they combined all the leagues whilst we were in div 3

I agree but you need someone to run it that is completely unbiased and can make decisions for the good of the game.

The game here is full of corruption and this will not change any time soon

The NFL has a commissioner but nothing happens in the league without the approval of the owners.

The idea that Roger Goodell just makes shit happen in the NFL on his own is nonsense from people who don’t know what they’re talking about. and bends over backwards to help US based clubs
The Commissioner of the NHL is anti Canadian and bends over backwards to help US clubs which is why the Maple Leafs haven't won the cup since 1967.

Unfortunately, the Scottish game is so filled with corruption that it will need a complete revolution to change it. Japanese eyes hasn't spent most of his career in ensuring that the papes are on top and in charge for him to give it up easily. We need the whole structure toppled and a new one built from the ground up and not built on fe***n sand. How we do it, God knows but it has to be done.

Sounds great in theory but I’m surprised that they can’t see it for what it is today to know it would be a disaster

The Commissioner of the NHL is anti Canadian and bends over backwards to help US clubs which is why the Maple Leafs haven't won the cup since 1967.
Well, I laughed. Think the Leafs have just been poor since they last won the cup. Am saying that as a NYR fan who last won the Stanley Cup coached by a Canadian ;)

Well, I laughed. Think the Leafs have just been poor since they last won the cup. Am saying that as a NYR fan who last won the Stanley Cup coached by a Canadian ;)

We always come up against Boston in the first round and even if we got past them, the Leafs would be too knackered after 7 games in a fortnight to do much more.

Easier said than done, in the USA there is one or two, possibly even zero teams per state in the Major Leagues but here just about every area from Stranraer to Inverness is represented in the league system. Anyone that is interested in the game has a team and most likely a preference between us and them.

If you go for an "impartial outsider" like Reagan or Doncaster were supposed to be (lol) all it needs is a club chairman to establish a working relationship and they will have influence. And in general Scottish football is very much a jobs for the boys environment where anyone with an accent is hounded.

I just wonder who this commissioner would be other than Lawell. Backed up by his two cronies Mulraney and Clare Whyte or whatever her bloody name is.

It would have to be best in class and definitely not a poet. Or a bear for that matter. What's Peter Scudamore up to these days?

Cowdenbeath would be delighted if they could attract as many to their home games as Pollok achieve.

Let's bin democracy at the first sign of a disagreement. Instead, we will appoint a ruler who will please some and upset others. If your on the wrong side of the ruler's decisions, tough luck.

Seems fair?

Those who support this move are clearly doing this from self centred perspective and not the greater good.

Ironic, eh?

Fck you Ayr and Cowdenbeath.

Back