Andre Gray

That’s a bit of an overreaction. Was Defoe done when he couldn’t get into the Bournemouth side and was loaned out for 18 months?
Defoe isn't good enough to be competing for first choice either, so that's hardly a good point to make.

I’d like Gray in as second choice striker irrespective of us selling Alfie, and it looks like this may be the case. A far superior option than Dykes, Kamberi etc (and I’m a Dykes fan).

If Morelos is sold then I’d like to see us use the money and sign Roofe to play or be an option on the right plus Alexander Sørloth. Both would be available for a combined fee of under £10m.

Another centre mid would be good if we are being greedy.
Sorloth and Roofe would cost under 10m?

No chance. Sorloth would cost more than that on his own.

Just found out about his old tweets. Not sure we should be signing someone who once wrote - “Is it me or are there gays everywhere? #Burn #Die #Makesmesick”

Disgusting comments tbh and not sure how it fits in with the club's everyone anyone campaign.
Not sure how signing a 29 year old striker on the decline, already having lost his main asset, on big money to add to our other bench warming striker on big money fits in with the clubs pretend strategy either.

Must be absolutely loaded.

Not sure how signing a 29 year old striker on the decline, already having lost his main asset, on big money to add to our other bench warming striker on big money fits in with the clubs pretend strategy either.

Must be absolutely loaded.

I dont think you can always sign young players with potential to sell on. Theres going to be a few you know you arent making money back on. All about balance.

As for on the decline and lost his main asset which i think you said was pace earlier is up for debate as thats just your footballing opinion mate.

Mental folk would take Shankland and Dykes but turn their nose up at Andre Gray lol

I think we’ve somewhat missed the boat with Varelo and Meling mate.
Bassey might become a good player but he’s nowhere near the level of the two mentioned.
An extra 500k would have got us Meling that would make it easier to rotate with Borna than young Bassey for example.
I appreciate Tav doesn’t miss many games but Borna has previously and our style relies on them being fit and firing.

Yes, Bassey has still to settle but from what I’ve seen I’m not sure he will give us close to what Borna does. Likewise Nathan will be great, but in such a difficult season can we throw him in ?

Another vital skill that we don’t have is genuine attacking pace. Hagi has none, Kent a little, but having the ability to hit teams on the break away from home ? It seems a limited option for us.

I hope we address this too.

I said earlier in the thread I had concerns over Gray.

His age and lack of goals being key reasons. I know he is 29 and that isn’t old by any means but I just had reservations over how effective he still is when his game relied heavily on pace and power.

On reflection Gray would be a decent loan purchase however I’d strongly believe a genuine £3/4m striker would be required.

Gray and Roofe for example would be suitable.
Gerrard said he wanted one striker in that was before we knew that alfredo was going to leave so it will be two now he's going. If we can get gray in on a loan to buy option and and roofe/other then I think it would be a great bit of buissnes.

I understand your concerns about a lack of goals but at the same time watford have went though some amount of strikers in the last 2/3 season and have never really been high scorers that says as much about Watford as it does Gray.

Gray I suspect would rip this league up having just turned 29. He needs a new challenge. I really can’t see this though unless he is willing to sacrifice a lot of cash.

I dont think you can always sign young players with potential to sell on. Got to be a few you know you arent making money back on. All about balance.

As for on the decline and lost his main asset which i think you said was pace earlier is up for debate as thats just your footballing opinion.

Mental folk would take Shankland and Dykes but turn their nose up at Andre Gray lol
You can't of course, and I'd be more comfortable spunking wages on Gray if we didn't already have Defoe. Two of them being here on huge wages is not a good model at all, not something a forward thinking well run club does. So here's hoping its a lot of shite, which it probably is.

Just found out about his old tweets. Not sure we should be signing someone who once wrote - “Is it me or are there gays everywhere? #Burn #Die #Makesmesick”

Disgusting comments tbh and not sure how it fits in with the club's everyone anyone campaign.
8 years ago tbf

I’d like Gray in as second choice striker irrespective of us selling Alfie, and it looks like this may be the case. A far superior option than Dykes, Kamberi etc (and I’m a Dykes fan).

If Morelos is sold then I’d like to see us use the money and sign Roofe to play or be an option on the right plus Alexander Sørloth. Both would be available for a combined fee of under £10m.

Another centre mid would be good if we are being greedy.
Tranbzonspor are signing Sørloth and are looking to sell him for £22m mate. Mental money

I dont think you can always sign young players with potential to sell on. Theres going to be a few you know you arent making money back on. All about balance.

As for on the decline and lost his main asset which i think you said was pace earlier is up for debate as thats just your footballing opinion mate.

Agree on the need for balance. I think an investment is always improved with experience alongside. Gray would be a good signing, though I would like to see someone with potential arrive at the same time.

Agree on the need for balance. I think an investment is always improved with experience alongside. Gray would be a good signing, though I would like to see someone with potential arrive at the same time.

Id say the following all fit our transfer strategy and could potentially move on for more than we got them for

Goldson
Morelos
Hagi
Kent
Bassey
Borna
Kamara
Aribo
Katic
Edmundson

Its got to be our transfer strategy but I dont mind shelling out on the right player when needed.

As you say Gray and another with sell on value and id be happy.

Yes, Bassey has still to settle but from what I’ve seen I’m not sure he will give us close to what Borna does. Likewise Nathan will be great, but in such a difficult season can we throw him in ?

Another vital skill that we don’t have is genuine attacking pace. Hagi has none, Kent a little, but having the ability to hit teams on the break away from home ? It seems a limited option for us.

To be fair mate,and I say this as someone who isn’t a huge fan of either- Barker and Jones have an abundance of pace that for most games domestically at least- is largely ineffective due to the low block we so often face.
Europe has provided a glimpse of their best minutes for us as a result.

I do think someone of a higher level of quality in the striker position with pace could help in certain games though, but I’m more wanting someone who can find space and play one twos around a crowded box effectively.

Alfie is great but I have always thought his ability to bring others into play or play a final decisive pass has been lacking a bit.

I’ve been saying Pohjanpalo as a target for us ever since he came of the bench and scored a 2nd half hattrick for Leverkusen a few seasons ago.

I'm very surprised you think this. The pre-season friendlies showed just how quickly we can play on the break. Both Kent and Hagi are far quicker than you're giving them credit for as well.

And away from home in Scotland isn't much different from playing at home in terms of what we face from opposing teams anyway.

Or he has a few good seasons in the championship, gets promoted to the Prem but plays with teams that struggle to create any chances in the top flight. You genuinely think he is just a league one player dining out on a purple patch? You think premier league teams are going to risk millions playing someone who had a 'brief purple patch' about in League 1 like 7 years ago?

Even championship clubs in england take huge punts on players. So yes, I do.

Kent a little pace? The boy is rapid haha

Tranbzonspor are signing Sørloth and are looking to sell him for £22m mate. Mental money
If we're wanting a Premiership striker, that's what we should be doing.

Bags of talent from around the world go to the Prem after tearing it up in their leagues and don't get enough opportunities in the PL.

Currently there is:
Mbwana Samatta
Florin Andone
Jurgen Locadia
Sandro Ramiez
Yoshinori Muto
Albian Ajeti
Rafa Mir
Leo Bonatini
Patrick Cutrone
Moise Kean
Islam Slimani
Luis Suarez
Cucho Hernandez
Isaac Success

All completely out of favour, all have bags of talent, majority still young. Some maybe out our reach, but some very good options that are available. Andre Gray on more wages than 80% of them and less ability than about 80% too.

I'm very surprised you think this. The pre-season friendlies showed just how quickly we can play on the break. Both Kent and Hagi are far quicker than you're giving them credit for as well.

And away from home in Scotland isn't much different from playing at home in terms of what we face from opposing teams anyway.
I think Hagi has a faster mind which is a rare commodity and hopefully will come in particularly handy against teams playing ultra defensive.

Not sure that's accurate morelos ain't a speed merchant and we score some fantastic break away goals in Europe. We don't need speed in the spl so gray will fit right in

We signed Flanagan who done much worse.

It certainly wouldn’t stop me from signing Gray if he improves the team

Not sure that's accurate morelos ain't a speed merchant and we score some fantastic break away goals in Europe. We don't need speed in the spl so gray will fit right in

No, we don’t need it at home & maybe in half of our away games, but having it for the better teams would be useful imo.

Reactions: cav

I watched his YouTube video of his best season in the Championship with Burnley, and I must say, most of his goals were good strikers goals in & around the penalty area, not heavily power or pace reliant.

Wasn’t he fined and banned for those remarks? They were made over 8 years ago when he was 18, not condoning anything but I bet we’ve all said and done some stupid when we were young. Thankfully changed days now.

We signed Flanagan who done much worse.

It certainly wouldn’t stop me from signing Gray if he improves the team

Just think it makes an absolute mockery of the everyone anyone campaign. I can't imagine how a gay Rangers supporter would feel if we signed someone who once said he wanted gays to burn & die - and btw, disgusting comments like that go beyond just a daft wee mistake.

If the club want supporters to take the everyone anyone campaign seriously they have to as well. IMO it loses all credibility if we sign this guy and give him £20+k a week. Not for me to say what's right and wrong, but they'd get absolutely laughed at/slaughtered for it.

You can't of course, and I'd be more comfortable spunking wages on Gray if we didn't already have Defoe. Two of them being here on huge wages is not a good model at all, not something a forward thinking well run club does. So here's hoping its a lot of shite, which it probably is.
Is defoe on a huge wage?

He's 29, not 39. You're talking as if he'd be rocking up in a zimmer frame

He got a ban for it and admitted his mistake. Wonder what you are like on the terraces

Players fall out of favour at clubs all the time. Doesnt mean they cant make an impact elsewhere. You see flops do well elsewhere all the time.
Prime example sorloth who looks excellent in turkey was pish at palace.

Just think it makes an absolute mockery of the everyone anyone campaign. I can't imagine how a gay Rangers supporter would feel if we signed someone who once said he wanted gays to burn & die - and btw, disgusting comments like that go beyond just a daft wee mistake.

If the club want supporters to take the everyone anyone campaign seriously they have to as well. IMO it loses all credibility if we sign this guy and give him £20+k a week. Not for me to say what's right and wrong, but they'd get absolutely laughed at/slaughtered for it.
It was 8 years ago and has apologised loads for it.
I’m sure a gay rangers fan would forgive him if he fired us to league title

Back