Watching the game back over.

Speminalium8

What a different game it is. Sitting on the edge of my seat in a state of abject terror or at least high anxiety, it’s hard to see things as they are. After a second run through some players I was screaming at on occasion at the time were actually doing better than I realised. The sheep had one first half shot. The goal mouth scramble was their only other moment. I looked closely at this and to be fair we marked our men well at the corner and really it should have been McGregor’s ball all day long.
We were utterly in control, even in the second half and only some uncharacteristic poor touches or passes stopped us adding more. Still think we’ve got to commit more players forward into the box to create more options. We have no forward aerial threat either. We’ve got to show more urgency to go for a second - we looked to happy to accept our one goal advantage - always a mistake. Otherwise never seen a game at Pittodrie where we looked so comfortable, and though that seemed to be the case at the time, it took a second watch to realise that fully.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you have the time, which I reckon most people probably wouldn't have, I'd always watch a game over again. It's the only way to get a balanced judgement on how we played.

A lot of promising attacks broke down due to a few players not being as sharp as we'd like on the day. We gave away a few fouls in areas you'd rather avoid against a team as strong at set pieces as Aberdeen are. That aside, it was decent enough.

Not being able to kill off games is a big problem. Our defence is good and was good last season too but any defence can always let in a goal. We need to be more urgent and put a few past teams.

We can have games like yesterday and Aberdeen end up sneaking one in and we drop points, everyone blames Goldson or Tav but attacking is our problem for not giving us some room. It happened too much last season and it looked the same first game of the season. Maybe new signings will address it.

Biggest concern for me is the lack of bodies we get forward and into the box.

We seem intent on passing the ball into the net when teams get bodies back in to defend. We have no real aerial threat which lets us put crosses into the box more regularly

That was the case on Saturday but we were set up more conservatively than people realise. The gaffer has seen us lose leads before and was focused on the clean sheet.

We will play more attacking in most games but the shape of the team was very deliberate. Given how the game played out it worked.

Gerrard gets a hard time for not making changes when things don’t work but that is exactly what he’s doing. Addressing our previous failures. He was actually very positive about the performance in his post match interviews and that was because the game plan was to nullify their threat.

On another day we could easily have scored a few more and it wouldn’t get noticed but winning games is all that matters in the league at least.

Our front 3 are good together but they're was a few moves that broke down hagi I think want at it but normally he would have been.

Hard away game three points move to the next game

The major thing we missed, IMO, was somebody filling the gaps created by a barking Alfie dropping deeper and herding the sheep defence all over the place! The tactic was spot on as a tactic, we just didn't execute it to its full capacity. You could see the plan working at times, and it was good to watch, with some chances created though

Jack and Kamara are too similar. Good in Europe and v dhims, but both are more comfortable playing safe, tippy tappy, passes across the park and to the back 4. We need a more attacking midfielder to replace Kamara.
Agree it was tense. I was sitting thinking that Aberdeen were not threatening, but it only takes a mistake by a player or official and we've dropped points.
I think SG will fail because he's too cautious.

I well remember during our 9 in a row Tommy McLean's Motherwell were a tough, tough team to breakdown as they would play incredibly defensive tactics, even if you took a 1-0 lead. They'd only change and open up a bit if they went 2 or more behind.
We do struggle against that type of team as even the worst teams can defend and maybe hope for a set piece / mistake to pinch a goal.
Sad to say but scumtic yesterday did the job after having a slight setback when Hamilton pulled a goal back. Two quick goals later on and it was a matter of guessing what the winning margin would be.
Two things we need;
1) To be far more ruthless in front if goal
2) More solid, less mistake prone, defence.

We sort those two out we'll win the league.
Delighted with the win on Saturday but, the worry remains that borrow win margins can easily be turned to dropped points.

What a different game it is. Sitting on the edge of my seat in a state of abject terror or at least high anxiety, it’s hard to see things as they are. After a second run through some players I was screaming at on occasion at the time were actually doing better than I realised. The sheep had one first half shot. The goal mouth scramble was their only other moment. I looked closely at this and to be fair we marked our men well at the corner and really it should have been McGregor’s ball all day long.
We were utterly in control, even in the second half and only some uncharacteristic poor touches or passes stopped us adding more. Still think we’ve got to commit more players forward into the box to create more options. We have no forward aerial threat either. We’ve got to show more urgency to go for a second - we looked to happy to accept our one goal advantage - always a mistake. Otherwise never seen a game at Pittodrie where we looked so comfortable, and though that seemed to be the case at the time, it took a second watch to realise that fully.

Yes, that's an issue I totally agree with S8.

We need to get those second goals this season. It was understandable after last season why
so many were nervous as we were protecting the 1.0.

Once we get 2 in front then we have that buffer for the odd screw up.

IIRC in the opening 15 minutes we had 87% possession. THey did come more into it, but only because we were IMO trying to draw them onto us to hit them on the break again like we did for the goal.

Jack and Kamara are too similar. Good in Europe and v dhims, but both are more comfortable playing safe, tippy tappy, passes across the park and to the back 4. We need a more attacking midfielder to replace Kamara.
Agree it was tense. I was sitting thinking that Aberdeen were not threatening, but it only takes a mistake by a player or official and we've dropped points.
Exactly this. They seen plenty of the ball but too negative; need a player in there that can see a pass or take one man on at least.

We were very comfortable and we played well but I really want Morelos punted to get an out and out goal scorer in or else we're seeing the same this season as last.

On reflection, it was a very comfortable win. Although it’s easy to say that after the game is over.

We could’ve played without a GK, we had one cleared off the line and a penalty claim turned down.

On another day that’s 3-0.

It was as comfortable a victory we have ever had up there, and that’s saying something considering we only won 1 nil. They had a little more possession in the second half than the first I think but they never done anything with it. It could have very easily been 2 nil had aribos effort not been cleared off the line. There one chance they had was barely a chance it was a scramble that should never have happened if McGregor came for the ball as he should have.

Watching it back we did look comfortable, if we are being brutally honest, it was uncomfortable viewing that 2nd half though, would it have been a great surprise if we had lost a goal from a set piece?

It was like an old re-run of last season, started well then looked completely devoid of ideas, creating very little.

I remember thinking we were looking comfortable but then the dread of an error or decision against us letting them back in it kicked in. I never relax unless 3 goals to the good as even at 2-0 if one is pulled back it gets nervy again.

We seem intent on passing the ball into the net when teams get bodies back in to defend. We have no real aerial threat which lets us put crosses into the box more regularly
We did regularly put crosses into the box, which were a waste of time

If we sign Zunga one of them will drop out.

I know, I know, but if it'd been the Beggars with that first half dominance, they'd have gone in 3-0 up at half time.

I'm delighted we won of course, but we need to start turning possession into goals.

Thats the big difference between us and them, there is no question they would have rattled in 4 or 5 easy given how pish Aberdeen were.

were not ruthless enough. but am sure the board and scouting staff are working on that to bring in more players. but we do need to finish teams off when were having so much of the possession

were not ruthless enough. but am sure the board and scouting staff are working on that to bring in more players. but we do need to finish teams off when were having so much of the possession
This all day. We need to add firepower. The bench is awful. Our lack of goals killed us last year. I think if we keep Morelos we don’t win the league. He’s been magnificent but we need to use his fee to add 2/3 players that can all contribute goals.

As mentioned already, my only worry was that we seemed to settle for a 1 goal lead. Done this too often last season in away games as well. The ruthless and relentless motto doesn't always seem to be implemented.

Glad the op said it was McGregor's ball at the scramble. I thought he was very poor in dealing with that cross and it could have cost us.

Totally dominant first half. Aberdeen did the whole play like our lives depend on it thing in the second and we broke up their play well.
None of our dynamic forward breakaways quite came off but on another day would. We did lack drive and spark going forward in the second half but were comfortable in possession. Andy Little on RTV maybe reacted as a fan a bit and felt nervous that we weren’t driving forward so a few times gave Aberdeen more credit than they were due. His commentary may have influenced some into feeling Aberdeen were more of a threat than they actually were.
An opening day away victory at Pittodrie is superb. Had we been at home to Hamilton then a 5 - 1 victory may well have occurred.

People need to get right behind the boys. What’s more likely to inspire and drive them on to winning this league? Negative, panicky criticism or total vehement support?

i pe
This all day. We need to add firepower. The bench is awful. Our lack of goals killed us last year. I think if we keep Morelos we don’t win the league. He’s been magnificent but we need to use his fee to add 2/3 players that can all contribute goals.
i personally think selling alfie could give us more chance of winning something than keeping him. was like smith when we sold cueller we used that money to then go get boogie mendes davis laff and miller and that won us the title. love alfie but ad much rather we sold him to then reinforce the team.

This for me all day long

When you watch either old Rangers games or even just your Man City etc we had/they have 4 or 5 players in the box for attacks.

Were lucky if we have 3 in the box on attacks.

That's why I hope we switch to a 4231 when we get extra recruits in.

Our defence looked solid all day long
We covered any gaps well when Borna & Tav bombed forward
Balogun had a great debut

However - I'm unsure if our back 4 looked so good because we were - or because dolly was so poor as an attacking force ?

Either way - it was a really good result considering how this fixture has gone in the past

Dolly was as niggly on & off the ball - just as they always are - so to come away with no cards, no injuries, a clean sheet & 3 points - is everything we could have hoped for - despite the fact we could have converted our superiority into more goals

Well done Rangers - a good start - let's build on it now

Without being negative it was a win and that’s all that matters now.

However should be addressing the situation of being able to kill games off with more fire power in midfield or upfront, it’s a must if we have any chance of winning the title.

Similar to myself however i think there are negatives we must sort as we could all see similarities with the worst parts of last season
- sitting on 1-0 and not being clinical enough for the second
- too many daft fouls given away around our box inviting crosses
- opposition targeting ball in behind our right back
- Tavernier in good positions to attack their full back on the outside and hit the byline but cutting back inside instead and slowing the play down
- more goal threat from midfield required. Kamara teed up on the 18 yard line with time and space scoops a pathetic lob over the bar. ffs man hit the target at least

it was a good performance but by feck we could have made it a lot easier for ourselves

One thing we need to work on is when we get wide to vary out crossing. High balls looking for Alfie have to be so precise whereas if they crossed in low between the penalty spot and six yard box or even cut back to Aribo, Kent or Hagi arriving late then we might get vital second goal more frequently and earlier so we can all relax!

Without being negative it was a win and that’s all that matters now.

However should be addressing the situation of being able to kill games off with more fire power in midfield or upfront, it’s a must if we have any chance of winning the title.

In the last 15 years we have only won at pittodrie by more than one goal TWICE:

In the last 30 years, we have won at the sheepdome by more than one goal, just 7 times.

Last edited:
We get forward alright IMO, we just don’t do it quick enough. Our build up is quite pedestrian at times.

The one time we went from back to front at pace we saw what happened. A bit more of that please.

We were very comfortable and we played well but I really want Morelos punted to get an out and out goal scorer in or else we're seeing the same this season as last.

"Morelos punted to get an out and out goal scorer"...

I'd like to hear your take on what an out and out goalscorer is, especially if Morelos doesn't fit your criteria of that description?!

Listen, a win at Pittodrie is one thing, but you should have seen how excited posters on here got at Celtic’s amazing home win yesterday...

Honestly the only thing they done that genuinely impressed me was eduoards second goal finish.

It can’t be over stated how poor and inexperienced Hamilton looked. They were panicking from the outset. I’d have them as nailed on for relegation.

Listen, a win at Pittodrie is one thing, but you should have seen how excited posters on here got at Celtic’s amazing home win yesterday...
Quite frankly there should only be a thread about their game if they are losing even then the followfollow jinx usually comes to the fore. :))

We will need to kill teams off to avoid the potential of draws that should be wins. Aberdeen were entirely toothless up front. We defended well, but we really weren't up against much.

Our front 3 are good together but they're was a few moves that broke down hagi I think want at it but normally he would have been.

Hard away game three points move to the next game

Said on the match thread that a lot broke down at Hagi, but you could see why he will be instrumental to any success we have this season. His lovely touch in the build up to the goal for example.

Back