Watching the game back over.

You said on another day right? So you know what that means? It means if things had transpired slightly differently due to chance/circumstance. So on another day Aberdeen might not have had no shots on target. You can't be talking hypotheticals and then hit me with facts to try and justify your point. Doesnt work that way I'm afraid.

So I''m saying with some justification that on another day, just like multiple games last season when we dropped points to the only shots on goal against us, that this could have ended 1-1 instead of 3-1 to us because we didnt finish them off, again. My point isnt about Aberdeen or what they did or didn't do, or how many shots on target they got in this particular game. It's about us. And it's a general point not about this one specific game. But I think you probably already know that.

It wasn't a comfortable second half at all, considering we kept giving the ball away in stupid areas of the pitch, stood off them by miles and hardly won a 50/50 or second ball for the whole 45 minutes. No 1-0 is comfortable for us, not in this league and not at this time. At 2 up or more that's fine going into training mode but at 1-0? Thats criminal and exactly the type of scenario that bit us on the ass time and again last year and beyond.

Against a better/fitter or even just a lucky side with a recognised no 9 we could easily have dropped points due to our laziness and frankly lacakadaisical attitude. Just because it didn't happen this time in this specific game, doesn't mean it won't the next. That game could easily have ended 1-1 if Aberdeen had a bit of luck or an extra bit of quality on the day. But if you dont want to recognise that just because we got a thumping 1-0 win over a dreadful Aberdeen side then fair enough.

You’re getting another day and another game mixed up bud.

On another day - we might’ve been given that penalty that was turned down or we might’ve scored that one that was practically cleared off the line.

On another day, aberdeen might’ve scored one of those zero shots they got on target o_O
(Unless we’re completely re-scripting the whole event and making them fitter, making them better, giving them a few lucky charms and giving them a world class number 9)

Aberdeen never looked like scoring in a million years on Saturday. We did score, had one cleared off the line and a penalty claim turned down. Our GK had nothing to do. Our CB’s strolled it without getting out of breath. What’s not comfortable about any of that.

That's a maybe, fact is, a 1-0 win and 3 points. Its the first competitive game at a place we struggle to win at.

Let's focus on the good, instead of what could have been the bad.
Are you mental?
The guy just said on another day it could have been 3-0. Fact is, in your words, it wasn't.
And I said on another day it could have been 1-1.

Whats the diffrence? Since when did FF have a crazy agenda like the mentally challengeds where they only discuss stuff that they want to hear? Even hypotheticals now are moderated by the fairy police.

Honestly. This forum's gone full on crazy lately.

I well remember during our 9 in a row Tommy McLean's Motherwell were a tough, tough team to breakdown as they would play incredibly defensive tactics, even if you took a 1-0 lead. They'd only change and open up a bit if they went 2 or more behind.
We do struggle against that type of team as even the worst teams can defend and maybe hope for a set piece / mistake to pinch a goal.
Sad to say but scumtic yesterday did the job after having a slight setback when Hamilton pulled a goal back. Two quick goals later on and it was a matter of guessing what the winning margin would be.
Two things we need;
1) To be far more ruthless in front if goal
2) More solid, less mistake prone, defence.

We sort those two out we'll win the league.
Delighted with the win on Saturday but, the worry remains that borrow win margins can easily be turned to dropped points.

Understand where you are coming from. I used to think in the Advocaat/McLeish eras we always made a meal of putting ICT away for the same reason. Then again, if only we could improve the defence and increase our scoring rate are two huge asks on their own, never mind together. The signings or departures we make in the next few weeks will be critical. First choice players added and we will be ok. Squad players added we will be in trouble in my view.

You’re getting another day and another game mixed up bud.

On another day - we might’ve been given that penalty that was turned down or we might’ve scored that one that was practically cleared off the line.

On another day, aberdeen might’ve scored one of those zero shots they got on target o_O
(Unless we’re completely re-scripting the whole event and making them fitter, making them better, giving them a few lucky charms and giving them a world class number 9)

Aberdeen never looked like scoring in a million years on Saturday. We did score, had one cleared off the line and a penalty claim turned down. Our GK had nothing to do. Our CB’s strolled it without getting out of breath. What’s not comfortable about any of that.
Right so this on another day thought experiment only works 1 way now. Heard it all now.

I'm done. Look. Im away before I catch whatever head disease is spreading through this place.

Are you mental?
The guy just said on another day it could have been 3-0. Fact is, in your words, it wasn't.
And I said on another day it could have been 1-1.

Whats the diffrence? Since when did FF have a crazy agenda like the mentally challengeds where they only discuss stuff that they want to hear? Even hypotheticals now are moderated by the fairy

Honestly. This forum's gone full on crazy lately.
[/QUOTE]
I'm mental? We get a good away win to start the season and your going off on one 2 days later.

Ffs, if this is the reaction after a win away from home, then what's it going to be like when we lose a game, which we will.

I'm more than pleased with the result, but then again I dont predict we're going to hammer everybody we come up against.

I seen the pre match predictions of 4 or 5. Unless rangers went out and spent some 30 million that I wasnt aware of, that was never happening.

Right so this on another day thought experiment only works 1 way now. Heard it all now.

I'm done. Look. Im away before I catch whatever head disease is spreading through this place.

I works any way you want mate.... but mythically making the opposition stronger (which they’re not) or fitter (which they weren’t) or throwing a better striker into their team like Ronaldo (which they don’t have) is bending the rules to the extreme.

But you chill out and stay safe though mate. Don’t get too stressed about our team. We won. Enjoy.

Aberdeen had zero shots on target so I’m struggling to see where that game could’ve been 1-1.

There was not even a situation where we “got out of jail”

It was an utterly comfortable 1-0. We could still be playing now and McGregor wouldn’t have broken sweat.

They had a shot on target that McGregor saved and the clearance of the line when they were all having a fly kick at him, must have not been mentioned in the stats but both happened.

That’s all if’s and butt’s.

We will not agree on this but I never felt in any danger throughout this game.

For me that is the first notable change. We look much less likely to concede and we are in control more than last season so far, but any one goal lead is dangerous to give away. Which is where most of us are concerned.

We have people on this forum talking about goal difference again. As if that’s regularly a deciding factor in the league.

People going off their nut because Celtic won arguably their easiest game of the season at a canter, last year’s 11th placed Hamilton. While we just won arguably our 2nd hardest match up of the season, away at Aberdeen.

There are some valid concerns about not creating enough. But also a lot of OTT reactions. There will be weeks we win by 3 or 4 and they win by 1. And vice versa. It’s only the 3 points really matters.

That’s all if’s and butt’s.

We will not agree on this but I never felt in any danger throughout this game.

I only felt in danger at that one single moment. We were dropping points if that had bounced over the line. It would have been undeserved, but our own fault for still not being able to break sides down.

Last edited:
I think you're spot on. If we can bring the players in to compliment what we have in being able to get the ball forward with more urgency. That along with having so much possession in games and not being able totally kill teams off. We were in total control throughout on saturday but how many times have we seen teams allowed back in by our pedestrian football and lack of clinical finishing. Fingers crossed that episode is not repeated.

I think the fans not being in the ground at home will actually help us. The players will not feel the anxiety we all felt watching that game. It’s worse at home.
Could go either way. In some games, particularly away in europe, I think our fans actually lift the team. There are also some players who like the adulation, like Alfie and young Hagi.

Still its a level playing field and there's not much we can do about it anyway

While we were always in control, a corner, free kick, bad bounce etc. can put them back in the game and cost us points. At 1-0 we are always susceptible to the fluckiest goal. We need to be scoring more to kill teams off.
Agree with op, I'm starting to think selling Alfie will allow us to buy the 2 players I think we need to start opening teams up and finishing them off more

I think the fans not being in the ground at home will actually help us. The players will not feel the anxiety we all felt watching that game. It’s worse at home.

It's a bad day tho when we're talking about having none of us at the game as being an advantage for a Rangers squad. I know what you're saying btw, but they should all be able to handle a bit of criticism or a bit of anxiety coming from the stands when things aren't going as well without it affecting their confidence/game. A huge part of playing for a club of our size is being able to handle the pressure of 50k unwavering loyal fans demanding they give everything to win.

Tin hat on I thought we were not bad 1st half then fell into our old trap of not stepping up a gear in the 2nd. That's as poor a Sheep team as we've seen for years.

Not learned a thing from last season's collapse, if we don't start taking creating more and then taking our chances we are putting pressure on ourselves we were a mistake or set piece debacle from conceding.

We need some quality added as debated on here ad nauseam, which won't be easy with our budget, if not this group of players are winning nothing.

Aberdeen were there for the taking.
Without their 2 main strikers they weren’t going to be much of a goal threat. We need to get more goals.
Last season Celtic averaged a goal a game more than us.

Aberdeen were there for the taking.
Without their 2 main strikers they weren’t going to be much of a goal threat. We need to get more goals.
Last season Celtic averaged a goal a game more than us.
We should have twisted the knife after the first goal. They were terrible.

But it's the first game of the season and it's the most comfortable first game we've had under Gerrard so let's not get too panicked yet.

They played 10 men behind the ball with 2 lines tight. It was almost like they didn’t want to concede, never really tried to score. Even at 1-0 down they didn’t really come out, we could have got another and probably should have before Aribo’s cleared off the line too. There were chances, but we controlled possession and kept the ball to see it out, against a stubborn defensive team. Was actually tactically very good, we got ourselves ahead and retained possession.

They had a shot on target that McGregor saved and the clearance of the line when they were all having a fly kick at him, must have not been mentioned in the stats but both happened.

The shot you are referring to was going a mile wide mate.

Hence the stats showed zero shots on target.

Strange that all outlets seem to have them having no shots on target, but this was from Ojo about 30 mins in, and was saved and looked on target.

It is pleasing that for all they were better in the second half, they done f all with it, flung a couple of free kicks in and thats about it.

That shot was going wide.

Edit - sorry, didn't see response above!

This isn't meant to be having a go, but it's worth saying I reckon.

The comments of "on another day that's 1-1" - why are they given more weight when we win 1-0 than they would be if we lost a game but were unlucky to do so?

Step back and take a second to think about what you're doing there. It's creating a problem that didn't happen and getting wound up about it.

It has happened before. It will again. That's true for any team. To be using it as a criticism of a game we won? That's quite strange when you think about it.

We've used Morelos in that role against Aberdeen before. In the 5-0 game at Ibrox last season, their defenders tried to follow him and it let Stewart find a ton of room.

They didn't follow him on Saturday, except once. We scored from it, thankfully.
Aye, they seemed to protect their goal more. They are wise for us now. We need to change things up more often.

If we don't play with a bit of pace we struggle to score.

Agree with op, I'm starting to think selling Alfie will allow us to buy the 2 players I think we need to start opening teams up and finishing them off more
Much as I admire Alfie, I think, for a number of reasons, the time is right for him to go.

They played 10 men behind the ball with 2 lines tight. It was almost like they didn’t want to concede, never really tried to score. Even at 1-0 down they didn’t really come out, we could have got another and probably should have before Aribo’s cleared off the line too. There were chances, but we controlled possession and kept the ball to see it out, against a stubborn defensive team. Was actually tactically very good, we got ourselves ahead and retained possession.
I actually thought second half we sat off their back line and didn’t press as we did in the first half. We seemed then to keep most of our possession in our own half. I think we do better when we press their backline high up the park and force errors in their half and create chances from the pickings. Even so we looked dangerous on breaking forward and either a poor touch of poor final ball stopped us adding a second. However my main concern was the lack of urgency to add a second and not throwing more players into the box are when breaking forward. The problem may stem from the reluctance to commit to forward runs and opting for caution rather than creativity from having both Jack and Kamara in the same team. Unless SG has given them these instructions.Or early season lack of match fitness. It has however been a problem last season too.

Back