James Tavernier Hall of Fame?

TylerDurden

Official Ticketer
If we win the title this year does that put James Tavernier in the hall of fame contention? Has been a tremendous player for us, can sometimes divide opinion but you can't argue with his stats.
Being the captain to lead us to 55 after all we have been through for me would elevate him into our hall of fame without question.
Would like to know if others feel the same, knowing that he can divide opinion.

i think so as he would go down in history as the captain who stopped them reaching 9 2/3 in a row.
If he he leads us to 55 this year i will commission a statue of him to be built in my back garden and also get his face tattooed on my chest.

Big season for him personally. I suspect it will be his last no matter the outcome. In five years he hasn’t won / captained us to a major trophy. I don’t think many other Rangers captains will have been given that much leeway. However if we win the league this season then he’ll be viewed as a legend in many quarters.

695c3b25d6fe95a15b1d7698dfc38e94.gif

He will be the first away from Ibrox if we don’t win 55, he has to lead the team to 55 or move on and it’ll be quick.

Lift 55 James and be one of our greatest Captains ever, from were we was with the team to trying and reclaiming our team as the premier club of Scotland he would be an absolute legend.

Same goes for most of not majority of player in the squad.

If we win the title this year does that put James Tavernier in the hall of fame contention? Has been a tremendous player for us, can sometimes divide opinion but you can't argue with his stats.
Being the captain to lead us to 55 after all we have been through for me would elevate him into our hall of fame without question.

They'll be on in a minute. My guess is you knew that.

Big season for him personally. I suspect it will be his last no matter the outcome. In five years he hasn’t won / captained us to a major trophy. I don’t think many other Rangers captains will have been given that much leeway. However if we win the league this season then he’ll be viewed as a legend in many quarters.

the club’s in an entirely different situation to others who have done the job in the past.

If invited he will be out of position on the night and fail to remember that his place was to attend. Thus letting everyone down when it matters again

You can’t be a Rangers legend if you haven’t won a top tier trophy and to be honest I think the OP is a bit of an arse for suggesting it.

If he captains us to 55 having also been involved in bringing us back to the top level, and with 120 goal involvements for us already from right back? Yes absolutely.

if We don’t win the league this season and he leaves us before we do, then no.

If he wins yes. I'd normally say no but considering Lee McCulloch is in there then he has to be (No harm to McCulloch before anyone starts, good guy).

Off topic but according to wiki rangers were the first British team to introduce a Hall of Fame, I didnt know that.

A few seem to have read the thread header only.

Very first line in the actual post - "If we win the title this year does that put James Tavernier in the hall of fame contention?"

A yes from me.

Does he deserve to be in the Hall of Fame for his contribution since signing? Probably not.
Will the team that wins 55 achieve legend status and the captain almost automatically be rewarded with HoF Status at the end of his career? Without question and difficult, even for those that are not his greatest admirers, to argue against.
Is he up there with the likes of John Greig and Richard Gough? Nowhere even close but lead us to 55 this year and your place in the history of the club is sealed.

What has he done to merit the inclusion?
Nothing yet. The question is if he captains us to 55 this year does that entitle him to a place in the Hall of Fame?
Don't think even his biggest fans would suggest that he has done anything to date to merit such an award.

Most definitely not. I've still not forgiven for that pish he wrote in the match program. If he leads us to 55 it will be the start of being eligible. Will see after 56 and 57

I’m sure there’s certain stats the player has to have achieved before they can be put on the hall of hame. Remember hearing it on the Ibrox tour.

Nothing yet. The question is if he captains us to 55 this year does that entitle him to a place in the Hall of Fame?
Don't think even his biggest fans would suggest that he has done anything to date to merit such an award.
No even if he does captain us to 55.What is the criteria to become a hall of famer?Is every captain we’ve ever had included?I would love to see him lift 55 but don’t think that alone merits inclusion.

Let's just win it first, before we make any decisions like that.

If we are taking the concept of a 'Hall of Fame' being a serious thing with 'legends' filling it, then absolutely not.

For him to be added it would be purely because he is the captain of the team that wins 55.

That suggests the role of captain is important (something which some people on here usually argue it isn't).

If it is that important then he has been an abject failure as a captain so far
(not player).

On the pitch he has captained us during some of our most embarrassing defeats. Off the field things like his words in the programme last season or not facing the camera against Progres are pathetic.

As mentioned some people will say the role of captain is not important. In Scotland (and the UK) in my opinion it is. During our successes we have always had excellent leaders. Tav is clearly not a leader or anywhere near some of our legendary captains.

If we win the league this year it won't be because Tav is captain, it will be because we have the best team.

I really like Tav but its a no from me. He is not in the mould of the greats and would need to win trophies over a number of years to be considered.

Back