Gerrard on Morelos

Genuine question:

Has any Rangers player in the past shown such patchy form over the course of his time with the club, allowed to make multiple mistakes both on and off the pitch, had clubs take absolutely no interest in him and still be regarded by vast swathes of the support as being indispensable towards success, despite being part of successive failures in the past?

I think there’s a considerable lack of perspective where Morelos is concerned at the moment that I suspect will ground itself after he’s gone.

At his best he’s a superb talent. We saw that in the first half of last season, especially in Europe where he was a handful for much better quality opponents than he faces in the SPFL. At times he looked almost unplayable as defenders failed to lay a glove on his strength and movement. He also appeared to have tightened up his composure in front of goal and at that point, if he had been able to continue that sort of form, we were absolutely looking at a £20m+ player.

And I’ll say this, the good most definitely outweighs the bad where Alfie is concerned. This is why clubs like Lille are prepared to pay eight figure sums for him. He’ll improve as a player outwith the limitations of the Scottish game.

But . . . we can’t just ignore the bad. It exists and it’s hugely frustrating - the indiscipline; the sudden loss of form; his fluctuating weight and the bouts of petulance and seeming disinterest.

We’ve reached a point now though that it’s clearly in the interest of all parties he moves on.

For a guy we picked up for just £1m that we’re doubtless going to sell for 15 times that amount, a player who’s played a massive part in the huge success, financial and otherwise, our European exploits have brought these past two years, he’ll certainly go with my best wishes.

Morelos' legacy is likely to be measured by how successful replacements and other signings are. If his transfer fee allows us to become a more balanced side that has 4 or 5 key attacking contributors then we can be delighted with that.

His on field legacy is that of a very good player, but one who we ultimately became too reliant upon. If we're looking for reasons why we haven't won trophies over the last few seasons, there are others deserving of a far bigger share of the blame than Alfie.

Morelos' legacy is likely to be measured by how successful replacements and other signings are. If his transfer fee allows us to become a more balanced side that has 4 or 5 key attacking contributors then we can be delighted with that.

His on field legacy is that of a very good player, but one who we ultimately became too reliant upon. If we're looking for reasons why we haven't won trophies over the last few seasons, there are others deserving of a far bigger share of the blame than Alfie.
Always enjoy a dose of reality in this batshit mental debate.

I'm not sure that analogy works at all though, does it?

Shearer was a vastly superior player surrounded by guys who weren't as good and playing for a team that last won something in the fifties.

Some guys on here seem to think a guy who has played in a series of failed teams (and must shoulder some of the blame for that as well) is indispensable towards future success for a club for whom second place is a failure. It's totally different, and one of the reasons that Morelos' departure will be slightly strange. How do you remember a good player who played for the world's most successful team and didn't win any trophies? Has anyone ever been in the same boat? Is he the best but most undecorated player to play for us?
I cant give you a name of the top of my head but I imagine someone playing between 1966 and 1970 would take that dubious honour. Some wonderful players in those years.

Times up. When he isnt 100 percent focused he just isn't the same player.

He is giving the minimum, and as good as he is, he isnt of the standard that without effort it just happens for him.

Hoping we get a deal done and he leaves before more performances like since January ruin his legacy.
I couldn’t care less about his legacy, but I’m concerned his huffy performances could cost us the title.

Rangers have underestimated the effect the transfer of Candeias has had on Morelos. He was his friend and translator, and although Morelos has learned some basic English, I think he has problems communicating effectively. I don’t think going to France is a good idea unless there’s a French version of Candeias in the team.
Candeias speaks Portuguese not Spanish mate, 2 very different languages. Plus after he left Alfie played fantasticly well.

It would be best for both parties if Alfie goes sooner rather than later.. I would hate to see his popularity drop amongst our fans.
Social media can be a cesspit at times but there are rumblings going on in the background that could snowball.

I fear that unless we get him out in the next week, his price might drop.
Bullshit,
The “ buyers “ know our asking price
Totally disagree, why? What’s the rush?
We don’t need to sell him right now
Must admit he looks a bit chunky but lets get him 100% and banging in the goals then cash In

Starting to think there might be a few lurkers on this thread. Gone from constructive criticism to just calling the guy a dud and rotten. Nothing like talking up our players like the tims do.
Ok let's just say his form has taken a massive dip, which ever sounds better, either way he's nowhere near his best, has not been for good stretch of games and looks over weight, unfit and appeared disinterested last night. Time will tell, if I'm wrong I guess he will start on Sunday.

My only fear is that he is going to go for a lot less than we had hoped or dreamed for his attitude is bouncing off and dividing our support for him, if we drop any points with him in the team it’ll be absolute bedlam and potentially the season over before it even starts with the division it could cost.

I think there's an massive elephant in the room that rarely gets addressed when people talk about Morelos needing to be at the club for us to win the title: hasn't he been our striker for the last three barren seasons, in which we've won nothing at all? What's going to change this time around?

I'm constantly reminded of that quote, "Unhappy the land in need of heroes." We needed a hero. Morelos didn't quite fit that mould for us but people were happy to pretend that he did.

By the way, the reference to Jelavic is interesting: he played for us for literally a year (only 56 times in total) and didn't really get to play in Europe but got a move to a bigger team than Lille, in a far superior league, on the back of one good season. Interesting that Morelos is now into season four with the club and still hasn't left.

Morelos' lasting legacy at Rangers will be difficult to assess, I'd say. If we go onto win things this year you could say it was comparable with some of the efforts of guys like Miller and Waghorn in taking us up a level.

Fantastic post.

Maybe we should look at this from Alfredo's position and thru his eyes. We have a young man coming from an impoverished background and not well educated,a different part of the world than either Finland or Scotland and a different language. On one hand he has a fan base that love him and on the other, a media that detests him. A club that is actively trying to sell him to improve the rest of the team and very few supporters of him outside Rangers. Since coming to us his world has expanded and he is now a married man with a family and has realized that he can help others ,which he has done magnificently with very few people in Scotland ,especially the media, acknowledging his efforts.

It is no wonder that he he has had his head turned. Given the treatment he has had in Scotland, if it were me, I would have been away anywhere a couple of years ago and it is a wonder that he has stayed so long. Why , even the fan media flagship has a sizeable minority of followers decrying everything he has done and criticizing him for his weight, his haircut, his South American style of conducting himself, his inability to speak a language, widely regarded as one of the hardest languages to pick up especially with the Glasgow accent and a media that is so strongly focussed on negativity surrounding his team and everyone involved with it.

All I am saying is that we were lucky to have him and sorry the way things have turned out .Good luck Alfredo and may the Lord give you happiness wherever you go.

Morelos is a good guy and done a lot for us and earned us a lot of money. We wouldn't be in a competing position right now if not for Alfredo that much is for certain.

Sure his head may be turned but he's a young guy being offered probably a big wage increase to move away from a country that he is racially abused in every week and allowed to effectively be bullied and kicked lumps out of and have his private life and car under a microscope all because of the team he plays for. If you're in that situation and you're given a chance to get out of it, don't sit there and tell me your head won't be turned even in the slightest. Then let's bring in the fact he's going to raise a child in this same country , that's gonna turn his head even further.

Morelos has done a lot for us and I believe he has always tried his hardest and done whats best for Rangers. However with all the above that goes on above it's not easy to concentrate or focus fully but I don't think he went out there with the intentions of not giving a %^*&, his minds more likely to just be going at 100mph and he can't concentrate or think properly. To me the problem there lies with Gerrard playing him but thats easier to say with hindsight

My only fear is that he is going to go for a lot less than we had hoped or dreamed for his attitude is bouncing off and dividing our support for him, if we drop any points with him in the team it’ll be absolute bedlam and potentially the season over before it even starts with the division it could cost.
Look at this last line for hysterical over the top nonsense. Drop points in one match in which Morelos plays and the season could potentially be over. Glad the manager and players live in the real world and not the drama queen, hysterical world of some of our crazier fans.

Morelos is a good guy and done a lot for us and earned us a lot of money. We wouldn't be in a competing position right now if not for Alfredo that much is for certain.

Sure his head may be turned but he's a young guy being offered probably a big wage increase to move away from a country that he is racially abused in every week and allowed to effectively be bullied and kicked lumps out of and have his private life and car under a microscope all because of the team he plays for. If you're in that situation and you're given a chance to get out of it, don't sit there and tell me your head won't be turned even in the slightest. Then let's bring in the fact he's going to raise a child in this same country , that's gonna turn his head even further.

Morelos has done a lot for us and I believe he has always tried his hardest and done whats best for Rangers. However with all the above that goes on above it's not easy to concentrate or focus fully but I don't think he went out there with the intentions of not giving a %^*&, his minds more likely to just be going at 100mph and he can't concentrate or think properly. To me the problem there lies with Gerrard playing him but thats easier to say with hindsight
It’s not up for debate he played poorly last night. But only those not chasing him out of the club with pitchforks for the lowest fee possible are using any kind of common sense and reason in this debate.

Decent post.

Who is going to sign to sit on the bench for over 3/4 of the season?
Mind blowing any fan can think we can spunk money on a 4th choice striker.
We already have a 4th choice st as you put it, his name is Defoe. Unless your happy to repeat the mistake of last season and rely on a 38 st. When AM leaves we need another st of the quality of Roofe and Itten.

It’s not up for debate he played poorly last night. But only those not chasing him out of the club with pitchforks for the lowest fee possible are using any kind of common sense and reason in this debate.

Decent post.
I agree he played poorly mate but I don't think he went out with the intentions of playing shit.

With everything going on it's easy to lose concentration and have your minid elsewhere and not fully focused which will naturally affect your footballing skills which I think is more likely the problem. Morelos probably should have said not to play him but it's also possible that he didn't realise just how distracted his mind was in which case thats up to Gerrard and the coaching team to step in and spot it imo.

The only thing I don't like about Morelos leaving is it seems to be to a "small pond" club , I expected somewhere like Atletico Madrid or something and think that would be a good fit for him, Not that Lille are a small club so maybe that's the wrong word to use but I think it's beneath where he should be imo

His heads been turned for weeks. He’s been out and about with a close friend in recent weeks and he’s been desperate to get a move.

Most of that is absolute rubbish, it’s Steven gerrards fault? The guy is being paid very handsomely the way your going on you would think he was playing for free.

Most of that is absolute rubbish, it’s Steven gerrards fault? The guy is being paid very handsomely the way your going on you would think he was playing for free.
Didn't know your wages meant you were guaranteed a clear mind and could always focus and concentrate

Wages mean absolutely %^*& all here, wether you earn £10 or £10k a day you're still suspect to what Alfredo seems to be going through atm

I wasn't "blaming" Gerrard but if Morelos head is elsewhere then it's up to the coaching staff and Gerrard to spot that and not play him imo, it's not always easy for the person playing to say with accuracy that they can focus and concentrate because once you're put in the game it's an entirely different situation to just a hypothetical question

He just said after the game that he’s had his head turned, for me I would sell him and I love him but....he also said about players that want to be at Rangers
Alfie should write a book about his experiences of his treatment, that he has had to take on his time in Scotland, warts and all. I will be one of the first to buy it as it should be one hell of a read.

I agree he played poorly mate but I don't think he went out with the intentions of playing shit.

With everything going on it's easy to lose concentration and have your minid elsewhere and not fully focused which will naturally affect your footballing skills which I think is more likely the problem. Morelos probably should have said not to play him but it's also possible that he didn't realise just how distracted his mind was in which case thats up to Gerrard and the coaching team to step in and spot it imo.

The only thing I don't like about Morelos leaving is it seems to be to a "small pond" club , I expected somewhere like Atletico Madrid or something and think that would be a good fit for him
I actually think very few players go out and intentionally don’t try their best. You don’t make the top league in any country with an attitude of I won’t try my best.

There’s a few exceptions; your Balotellis, Anelkas, Adebayors who may have gone out and played a game or two half arsed.

But people who make it professionally in sport are, by and large, fierce competitors. Fiery individuals like Alfie, Barry Ferguson and Rooney are especially competitive. Alfie will have given his best last night, but was well handled by a better defender and also his head was probably not in a place to give his best performance. But I do not believe he did not try to give the best he could on the day. Despite the wailing of the “jilted exes” here.

Genuine question:

Has any Rangers player in the past shown such patchy form over the course of his time with the club, allowed to make multiple mistakes both on and off the pitch, had clubs take absolutely no interest in him and still be regarded by vast swathes of the support as being indispensable towards success, despite being part of successive failures in the past?

If you think that about Morelos, I would hate to hear what you think about the rest of the squad.

Point is, when Morelos doesn't perform, this team doesn't perform.

I have major reservations about most of our squad when it comes to stepping up. When there's expectation, a lot of these guys fail. Morelos's incredible half season form each year has painted over that.

You move 4 of Morelos's goals from half 1 to half 2 and nobody would comment on his patchy form - but his overall contribution would still be the same.

We already have a 4th choice st as you put it, his name is Defoe. Unless your happy to repeat the mistake of last season and rely on a 38 st. When AM leaves we need another st of the quality of Roofe and Itten.
I'd love that but it's not happening imo.
Midfield is the priority mate.

Bizarre how folk get so polarised on this. Some can’t bear any criticism of their hero, deserved or otherwise. He has been well off form and has had his head turned, regardless of the excuse making. Others who are wanting him punted for any value whatsoever are losing all sense of perspective.
Thankfully the truth is out there and I’m confident we will get value for him. It’s time we - he and us - moved on.

Bizarre how folk get so polarised on this. Some can’t bear any criticism of their hero, deserved or otherwise.

I haven’t seen any of this. I see many who are in the extreme anti Morelos camp using this as a way to discredit people who don’t jump on his back.

Most the people who are “defending“ him are openly saying he played poorly last night. They are not refusing to “bear any criticism of“ him. They just want the criticisms to be fair and proportional.

However, those who have lost their mind over him leaving are creating straw man arguments about others “refusing to accept any criticism” to try and muddy waters and give more credence to their overly extreme views.

Since last nights game I can think of one poster whose views I thought that’s wildly positive. But there are dozens who are spouting bullshit they cannot possible support just to have a dig at him.

Note, he did play crap. But bar the 2 CBs and McGregor no one comes out of that match with any credit.

Some daft wee boy that was on the ale with his bird and not watching his team last night who’s contribution to Rangers has been fück all squared.

You’re absolutely tragic. There’s a T missing from your username.
Tragic what? This is a forum about opinions and therefore because you don't agree with mine even tho fact I'm sorry ,did the gaffer say it or not?
Talking about names no probs Mr Beale sorry im offending your boss, if something wrong say it ,as for knowing the kid I don't personally but do know his family and I don't like how my club treated him in the contract situation now if you don't like it too bad that's my opinion now would much prefer you ignore me like I'm going to you like a do on twitter.

Candeias speaks Portuguese not Spanish mate, 2 very different languages. Plus after he left Alfie played fantasticly well.

Candeias was also fluent in Spanish that’s why they hung around together as to my Knowledge Alfie is still struggling with English.

I was hoping to log in after work and see he had been sold.
I was hoping we had agreed a deal in principle and he would be gone after our game last night

I haven’t seen any of this. I see many who are in the extreme anti Morelos camp using this as a way to discredit people who don’t jump on his back.

Most the people who are “defending“ him are openly saying he played poorly last night. They are not refusing to “bear any criticism of“ him. They just want the criticisms to be fair and proportional.

However, those who have lost their mind over him leaving are creating straw man arguments about others “refusing to accept any criticism” to try and muddy waters and give more credence to their overly extreme views.

Since last nights game I can think of one poster whose views I thought that’s wildly positive. But there are dozens who are spouting bullshit they cannot possible support just to have a dig at him.

Note, he did play crap. But bar the 2 CBs and McGregor no one comes out of that match with any credit.
The criticism of Morelos is fair and proportionate in my view. The hysterical hounding of anyone that calls out his flaws and which are not restricted to last night - which are as evident as his talents - is jarring. That’s why we will take the money and move on, wishing him well.

No one is claiming he was not a great signing and he’s been talismanic for us at times. But you chose to quote one part of my post there.

Those that cannot see he is not playing the way he should are in sheer denial, also those that cannot see with an open pair of eyes that he is overweight are in sheer denial. It is nothing to do with teams performance last night and nothing to do with wanting him sold........you can bloomin well see it, unless you are blind or as I said in denial.

Morelos played pretty well at the weekend he struggled last night along with the rest of the team -his performance wasn't as bad as stated on here.

I think he could easily shed a few pounds-this is surprising on a lot of levels first from him if he wants to develop here or elsewhere and from the club I'm not sure how we have managed this in terms of controlling his fitness/ team selection.

However we see the typic myopic opinion on here that instant hero to villain mantra -lets get rid of and get our money in-it's typical Playstation let's try that level again mindset.

It's not that simple-Morelos looked to be a developing player with flaws and he has had a bad setback in the last few months at the club-that simply doesn't automatically transfer to his value holding and someone taking him. It's a shame because he seemed to have progressed on a lot of levels last year and then frankly blew up again.

He's flawed with masses of potential some of the support have overindulged his nonsense and some have underestimated his contribution/ability.

He needs to get his head down and work -his potential is massive but his value is also a massive debate/gamble for a club who think he could do a job for them. Whilst I suspect we nearly all thought he was leaving you do wonder a wee bit now that possibly SG sees a real problem ahead that our valuation of him is not met elsewhere and there is doubt he will be able to get back to where he was before in the timescale we require. Maybe Roofe and Litten were bought to augment the squad and without any departure of Alfie guaranteed because relying totally on him going forward is a gamble SG is not prepared to take.

Maybe we should look at this from Alfredo's position and thru his eyes. We have a young man coming from an impoverished background and not well educated,a different part of the world than either Finland or Scotland and a different language. On one hand he has a fan base that love him and on the other, a media that detests him. A club that is actively trying to sell him to improve the rest of the team and very few supporters of him outside Rangers. Since coming to us his world has expanded and he is now a married man with a family and has realized that he can help others ,which he has done magnificently with very few people in Scotland ,especially the media, acknowledging his efforts.

It is no wonder that he he has had his head turned. Given the treatment he has had in Scotland, if it were me, I would have been away anywhere a couple of years ago and it is a wonder that he has stayed so long. Why , even the fan media flagship has a sizeable minority of followers decrying everything he has done and criticizing him for his weight, his haircut, his South American style of conducting himself, his inability to speak a language, widely regarded as one of the hardest languages to pick up especially with the Glasgow accent and a media that is so strongly focussed on negativity surrounding his team and everyone involved with it.

All I am saying is that we were lucky to have him and sorry the way things have turned out .Good luck Alfredo and may the Lord give you happiness wherever you go.
Exactly right and a very good and true post.

The criticism of Morelos is fair and proportionate in my view. The hysterical hounding of anyone that calls out his flaws and which are not restricted to last night - which are as evident as his talents - is jarring. That’s why we will take the money and move on, wishing him well.

No one is claiming he was not a great signing and he’s been talismanic for us at times. But you chose to quote one part of my post there.
Aye, because thats the part I mostly took issue with. Whats your point caller?

There are definitely many creating straw man arguments to have a pop at Morelos and your post, and in particular the words I quoted are a perfect example of that.

If you dont want people questioning what you wrote, dont write it.

Morelos played pretty well at the weekend he struggled last night along with the rest of the team -his performance wasn't as bad as stated on here.

I think he could easily shed a few pounds-this is surprising on a lot of levels first from him if he wants to develop here or elsewhere and from the club I'm not sure how we have managed this in terms of controlling his fitness/ team selection.

However we see the typic myopic opinion on here that instant hero to villain mantra -lets get rid of and get our money in-it's typical Playstation let's try that level again mindset.

It's not that simple-Morelos looked to be a developing player with flaws and he has had a bad setback in the last few months at the club-that simply doesn't automatically transfer to his value holding and someone taking him. It's a shame because he seemed to have progressed on a lot of levels last year and then frankly blew up again.

He's flawed with masses of potential some of the support have overindulged his nonsense and some have underestimated his contribution/ability.

He needs to get his head down and work -his potential is massive but his value is also a massive debate/gamble for a club who think he could do a job for them. Whilst I suspect we nearly all thought he was leaving you do wonder a wee bit now that possibly SG sees a real problem ahead that our valuation of him is not met elsewhere and there is doubt he will be able to get back to where he was before in the timescale we require. Maybe Roofe and Litten were bought to augment the squad and without any departure of Alfie guaranteed because relying totally on him going forward is a gamble SG is not prepared to take.

Better post that many. For example acknowledging his performance at the weekend was ok.

A more reasoned position than one bad game halves his value, cut and run for whatever we can get.

Back