Itten Penalty Appeal

I agree. However, if the ref does his job it’s still a pen.
No way the ref gives a penalty if he doesn’t go down.

That would maybe be given as a free kick outside the box but you’ll never see a referee give a penalty when the player stays on his feet.

He’ll need to be a bit cleverer next time and go down.

Surely that’s a pen, no? Itten clearly gets to the ball first and then takes a kick to the ankle once he’s moved the ball round the defender. Granted it wasn’t the most forceful tackle but by the letter of the law it had to be a pen.
It was a pen but he was too honest. Fair play to him but if he stays down he makes the ref give the pen imo

Surely that’s a pen, no? Itten clearly gets to the ball first and then takes a kick to the ankle once he’s moved the ball round the defender. Granted it wasn’t the most forceful tackle but by the letter of the law it had to be a pen.
Was a pen. Seemed like he was in two minds about going down which maybe didn’t help. Said the same about the red card - ref doesn’t want to make the marginal decisions when the game is won. It’s poor but it’s a reality in this league.

If he stayed down I think it would have been awarded.

I’m not saying that’s right but it’s the way of the game.

That's us back to evens after St Mirren didn't get theirs.

If Scotland doesn't want to have VAR, then these penalties will be missed.
I’m not sure the St Mirren pen was in the box but VAR would have over turned the decision if that’s the case. I’m not sure the VAR would overturn the Itten penalty and there’s nothing the ref wouldn’t see on a replay he didn’t on the pitch. It was a penalty or a yellow for diving - I’m not sure it could be nothing.

Was a penalty whether he went down or not the ref should have pointed to the spot! Sadly this is an example why players go down easy imo!

Ref was awful all night. Stonewall penalty, Itten’s honesty perhaps went against him. However he was blowing the whistle every time they went to ground and tackle on Roofe was a red all day long. Waved play on after a shocker on Hagi also first half.

I've just watched the SPFL highlights and I thought St Johnstone shoukd have had a penalty when Helander tackled their striker.

I also thought Ittens was a penalty too. He went down a bit funny but you could hear the whack when the defender kicked him!

We got off with one on Saturday. Move on.
Yes and no.
Needs to be kept in mind for when situations like this, tonight, arises.
Remember, we had a not too dissimilar incident at Pittodrie on day one.
We’ve all heard the immortal phrase “if that happens at the other end, it’s a penalty” used to show that referees give us all the decisions.
This is when we need it.
Just to bring up when that line is claimed in the future.

Definite penalty. As much as I admire Itten trying to play on. I hate everyone else in the SPFL and would have preferred him going over and getting a penalty

Because Itten has a gangly manor about him it took ages for him to fall , and even then he went on his knees then got right back up . Clearly an honest lad but that made it easier for the referee to do what he wanted which was kid on it wasn’t a penalty . The guy booted Itten on the ankle with the ball miles away , how the linesman and referee “ missed “ it is incredible , welcome to Scotland son indeed . Disgrace .

This wasn't even discussed on Sportscene last night absolute no comment made on it. During the highlights Paul Mitchell commentating said 'was there enough contact to make him go down the way he did'

It was a stonewall penalty - in fairness to Itten he didn’t make a meal of it probably why it wasn’t given.

ref in general wasn’t great last night (hardly a shock)

The fact he got up so quickly at the time to me looked like he kind of knew the contact didn't take him down and he was trying to be cute, but responded by getting back to his feet to avoid a yellow.

Seeing the replay, there was definite contact and you'd be hard pushed to argue he wasn't tripped if he stayed down. But I'd tend to go with the player's own reaction on these things most of the time. How much of a claim did he make for it? Genuinely can't remember if he did gesture to the ref at all?

I've just watched the SPFL highlights and I thought St Johnstone shoukd have had a penalty when Helander tackled their striker.

I also thought Ittens was a penalty too. He went down a bit funny but you could hear the whack when the defender kicked him!

Thought Helander stuck his foot through his legs and booted the ball out for a corner.

Stonehwall pen. Caught him clean on the shin. No idea why he tried to get back up so quickly.

I thought it was a penalty when I saw it.... he tried to stay up. Not sure why! Another good result though. We must keep this up.

Stone wall penalty. He should've stayed down. I honestly believe the ref didn't give it because he bounced up to his feet quickly.

Definitely a penalty even at real time viewing I thought it was a penalty.

I’d better not say this but I had us down for a 3-0 so not complaining too much!!

Back