Tam Forsyth has passed away

RIP Mr Forsyth, a genuine Rangers legend. He also gave me my first football coach bollocking for megging a right winger as a LB, instead of playing the simple pass inside :)

My auld man was an absolute nightmare to go to football with. He had absolutely no patience, huffed and snorted when we went behind, moaned like %^*& at every stray pass, got on the back of any player he disliked and praised his 'favourites' even if they were having an off day - and he ALWAYS left early even when the game was in the balance saying, "We can get the result later".

In some ways, looking back, he was every inch the blue nose :cool:

So in 1976 we went to Hampden and, true to form, he tapped me on the shoulder just after Dalglish scored and said, "Right, that's it" and turned to leave. I was 16 and was fed up with this so I just said I'd make my own way home. Glad I stayed as I saw not only a terrific Scotland win but 'that' Tam Forsyth tackle that you can see at 7:40 of the video:

So sad to hear this. Big Tam was one of my great heroes when a boy.

The scorer of the winner in my first OF match, the 1973 Scottish Cup Final, and the finest sclaff off the heel of a boot you'll ever see.

RIP Jaws!

Last edited:
Played for the Teds for over a decade.

Played for Scotland in a WC

Scored the winner in an OF Cup Final

We’d all take that as a life well lived.

Sandy and Bomber will be there with the angels to welcome you.

Thanks for the memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP Tam. One of my all time favourites. They don’t make them like that anymore, a giant among men.

RIP Tam

A massive part of the first Rangers sides I grew to love growing up in the early 70's.

Took time to speak with my boy outside Braga in February. An absolute gentleman and everything a Ranger should be.

A sad, sad day. He followed the team everywhere... shame he didn’t get to see us get 55:(

One of my all time heroes.

Loved big Tam and had the pleasure of meeting him and chatting with him.

Sleep in peace, a great Ranger.

He was before my time but his status amongst guys like big DJ paint the picture of an Archetypal Ranger.

Well regarded that's reason enough.
Rest easy

"Jaws eats Soft Centres"
The hardest player I've seen at Rangers, did not get enough credit for how good a footballer he was. They don't make them like Tom Forsyth any more.
Thank you Tom

Young bear here, but more than aware of Tam’s contributions to our club via father and grandfather.

Rest Easy Tam, a real true blue.

Thanks for the memories, thanks for all those thumping tackles, thanks for that big goal. WATP. NS.

Probably my favourite ever Rangers goal. Genuinely sad at this as I hadn’t even known he was ill. Just a really nice guy and genuine Rangers legend.

Back