Allan McGregor or Jon McLaughlin

Who should be 1st Choice.

• McGregor

Votes: 744 45.7%
  • McLaughlin

Votes: 884 54.3%

• Total voters
Can’t drop McLaughlin while they are keeping clean sheets - would send out the wrong message and I am sure Shagger appreciates that.

I think goals against says it all! If you had a striker that came in and scored 8 goals in 4 games you would not drop him so vice versa at the back

This thread is mental.
Mclaughlin has done well but he's barely had a save to make.
To think of match winning saves at home and in Europe shagger has made.

It's not just about the keeper. It's about the defence AND the keeper.
It's possible that JM gives the defence a confidence that isn't maybe as strong with Shagger?
Not saying it is, saying it's possible.

Im critical of mcgregors work and distribution with the ball but im shocked he is not favoured already, he has put in some fantastic MATCH winning performances the last two seasons

Hasn't conceded a goal this season so surely must keep his place but two great goalies a good problem for Gerrard to have.

JM deserves to keep his place for me, hasn’t done anything wrong so far - to be fair we could‘ve played without a keeper the last two or three games, teams have no intention of attacking us.. just post 11 men behind the ball like St J and Killie today and hope for the best.

Its actually a great problem to have - there is nothing in it between them however as McLaughlin has the jersey he needs to keep it until he makes a mistake as automatically giving Allan the jersey back sends the wrong message to the whole squad imo.

McLaughlin deserves to keep the spot.

I think people are forgetting some of McGregor's performances last season. Plus at corners and crosses you always worry as he barely comes off his line.

Its actually a great problem to have - there is nothing in it between them however as McLaughlin has the jersey he needs to keep it until he makes a mistake as automatically giving Allan the jersey back sends the wrong message to the whole squad imo.
This happens 99% of the time in every team around the world with keepers. It’s always been a bit different to outfield players.

McLaughlin has done nothing to deserve to be dropped. But he's not been tested a lot. Shagger has saved us with worldies countless times. It's a tough one. McLaughlin should probably retain until he shows he doesn't deserve to. That said, I'd be happy with Shagger.

While I accept that if it was Wes instead of JM then Allan would have had the jersey back today.
I’m not saying it’s 100% right. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see AM back in goal as soon as he is 100% fit even without JM doing anything wrong. Managers always revert to their number 1 keeper.

McGregor. But that is based on me loving the mad bastard. McLaughlin hasn’t put a foot wrong but overall Shagger is the better option.

McGregor is our best keeper, when he’s fully fit he should get put back in

No different to when Alexander stepped in at the back end of 07/08 season and McGregor was number 1 the next season
The fact that it is even up for debate is great. I would be comfortable with either. McGregor is at an age where the injuries are harder to come back from. Think he has said this himself. By no means finished and he is still a superb keeper but he is getting a run for his money this year.

I voted for Greegsy. I think this is his last season. McLaughlin will bridge the gap between McGregor & McCrorie for 2 years and then he’ll retire and leave the shirt to the young guy

Should McGregor when fully fit get the start or do you continue with McLaughlin ?

Close call for me but Jon has done nothing wrong this season and looks to be better with the ball at his feet.
Done nothing wrong but not been tested yet either. Alan has the experience and mentality and John has yet to prove it.the best of luck to them both.

Good problem to have. I would keep JM in goal for Hamilton and bring back AM after the break for the Dundee Utd game, which is what I think the gaffer will do.

This thread is like a president, prime minister election or indy ref.

80% plus comments are for Jon. 60% votes.
Only difference is he's still slightly ahead.

Okay... I have to ask . And may e be slated.

Are our Defenders better in front of McLaughlin because he commands the area but guides them.

Whereas McGregor commands the area but shouts at them and makes them feel likenshit for making a mistake?

(I don't know if he does, but McGregor is vocal with refs. Can only presume vocal with defenders.)

McGregor for me as he’s proved himself under pressure over a long period of time.

McLaughlin is doing fine, but nobody has attacked us yet!

Probably should keep his place really good with the ball at feat as well. The big thing is not really seen him under pressure time will tell.

Use McLaughlin domestically where he's unlikely to be tested as much and will need to play with his feet a bit more to start quick attacks.

Use McGregor in Europe and in matches against Celtic where he'll be tested a bit more, has the experience, and has continually pulled off excellent saves.

This wouldn't even be a debate if Foderingham was still at the club. It's a brilliant situation to be in.

I voted McLaughlin as he has been almost flawless, his all round game just improves us, and has done enough to keep it.

But Greegsy at his best is untouchable, I would happily see him as our number 1 this season, get 55 (job done) knowing he would be backup next season.

What a nice dilema, finally we have 2 proper number 1's.

its McGregor's jersey and he's the better keeper. He only lost the jersey because of an injury not because he did something wrong so, why should he be punished for that!

We need to stop making change for the sake of change, JM not done anything to deserve being dropped and is centra to 5 clean sheets

Can’t drop McLaughlin until he does something wrong, hopefully he doesn’t of course.
We pick a first choice keeper and that's it. If its McGregor then he comes back in when fit.

If its McLaughlin then we wont drop him after making one mistake.

I dont really know who to vote for. Our defence has been that comfortable, coupled with none of the teams we have played actually wanting to attack, that McLaughlin has been pretty much untested.

McGregor.

McLaughlin hasn’t had a single thing to do bar a point blank save against St Johnstone because our defence has been so good.

It‘s actually alarming that people are writing off McGregor for nothing. Short memories and the old recency bias is alive and well in this thread.

This is probably Shaggers last year as no.1, and he will know that too.

To me McLaughlin is a settling influence on the defence and the back 5 are playing as a solid unit. Maybe, just maybe, that's why JM is 'untested'. There is a confidence running through the team and it starts with a confident keeper.

Back