Allan McGregor or Jon McLaughlin

Who should be 1st Choice.

• McGregor

Votes: 744 45.7%
  • McLaughlin

Votes: 884 54.3%

• Total voters
You will not find a bigger fan than Shagger as myself but the big man hasn't done anything wrong thus far.

Just keep it as is for now. Although different positions and I get it's not the same we all bemoaned Gerrard chopping and changing the defence so often. Let McGregor get fully fit with no need to rush him back.

Either way it's a tremendous problem to have!

McGregor has enough in the bank with us to deserve to be #1

But at the same time we're on the verge of breaking our clean sheets record, you don't drop who has the jersey in the middle of that

Went with Mclaughlin simply because he has not put a foot wrong and we're doing fine. First mistake though the gloves go to Mcgregor again and then vice versa. It's good for us to have the competition between the 2 of them.

We've needed 2 good keepers for a while and now we've got them. McGregor was unluckly to lose his place through injury but McLaughlin has come in and taken his chance. Doesn't make him the better keeper but he's got the spot just now and deserves to keep it meantime.

Can I ask those that keep saying McLaughlin has done nothing wrong ( which he hasn't) but, what did McGregor do wrong? He has been injured so, are they saying he should lose his number 1 spot because he got injured?

I understood it that McLaughlin knew he was coming in as understudy and McGregor was first choice GK. For me, until McGregor does something mental whilst in goal for us during a game, it's his jersey.

Should McGregor when fully fit get the start or do you continue with McLaughlin ?

Close call for me but Jon has done nothing wrong this season and looks to be better with the ball at his feet.
Honestly don’t think it matters at the moment given how good the defensive unit has looked. McLaughlin has the jersey so should keep it but he’s not really been tested too much. We know that shagger will make big saves in big games or when it matters - I’m comfortable with either.

Bottom line is, if we were playing the scum next weekend, who do you all want between the sticks?
Greegs just for his experience of that fixture but JMc won’t let us down. I think we’re fortunate to have two international quality keepers. With McGregor’s age I’m sure he’d have had the conversation about managing his game time this season.

Can I ask those that keep saying McLaughlin has done nothing wrong ( which he hasn't) but, what did McGregor do wrong? He has been injured so, are they saying he should lose his number 1 spot because he got injured?

I understood it that McLaughlin knew he was coming in as understudy and McGregor was first choice GK. For me, until McGregor does something mental whilst in goal for us during a game, it's his jersey.
So what if he did, does that mean he should be content being a number 2and just roll over? Mcgregor needs to prove in training he is better than the current number 1. Great problem to have.

For me he’s lost it because McLaughlin has done nothing wrong plus he is better at coming for crosses and far better with the ball at his feet.

Mcgregor for the games we will rely on him saving our arses, Mclaughlin for the games he'll be used more for distribution as its night and day compared to mcgregors chips out to Tav

Welcome to the madhouse,the answer of course is McGregor
Why ‘of course’?

To me the only department he seems superior is shot stopping, yet to see much of that from McLaughlin but it looks good. In games like yesterday I’d rather have a keeper with superior command of their box and distribution.

Greets has to be the number one goalie but that doesn’t mean he walks back into the team.

McLaughlin has come in and has done not much wrong so he deserves to keep his place. On the basis of ‘grab your chance with both hands’ principle he has fulfilled the requirement.

My one caveat is that, because our defence has been pretty much on top of things so far, McLaughlin hasn’t been put under much pressure. He’s had only the one chance to pull off a vital save and he was up to the job. I think we all agree that his distribution is a lot more thoughtful than McGregor’s.

McGregor.

McLaughlin hasn’t had a single thing to do bar a point blank save against St Johnstone because our defence has been so good.

It‘s actually alarming that people are writing off McGregor for nothing. Short memories and the old recency bias is alive and well in this thread.
Exactly. People saying it would be different if it was Wes came in this season. Truth is, we have no idea how good McLaughlin really is as he’s had nothing to do. So we would be saying similar things about any new keeper coming in this season.

McGregor is number #1 but comfortable with either him or McLaughlin. Think we will start to see McGregor phases out this season with him not getting any younger & his body maybe struggling with the game load.

Played against Leverkusen. Looked suspect at the goal, but pulled off a brilliant save later in the match.
Does McLaughlin get the credit for all the domestic clean sheets? Bit of a difference in standard to Rangers getting comprehensively outplayed by the Germans for 90 minutes and us comprehensively outplaying the dross of Scotland for 90 minutes.

I mean we have those threads showing we’ve only conceded 5 shots on target in these domestic games.

Bottom line is, if we were playing the scum next weekend, who do you all want between the sticks?
McGregor every day of the week, he has done it for us countless times over the years.
McLaughlin hasn’t put a glove wrong but he has also have next to nothing to do. I’m sure he knew he would be backup when he signed.

Does McLaughlin get the credit for all the domestic clean sheets? Bit of a difference in standard to Rangers getting comprehensively outplayed by the Germans for 90 minutes and us comprehensively outplaying the dross of Scotland for 90 minutes.

I mean we have those threads showing we’ve only conceded 5 shots on target in these domestic games.

No, the defence get the credit for keeping the opposition at bay, the goalkeeper is an integral part of the defence.

No, the defence get the credit for keeping the opposition at bay, the goalkeeper is an integral part of the defence.
Normally I’d agree, but we’ve had 5 shots on our goal in 5 games.

I’ve no concerns about McLuaghlin. He’s done what’s required so far. To describe him as excellent, outstanding etc which many of our fans have when he’s had to make 1 save a game basically is getting carried away. We don’t have enough information and data to really know how good he is yet.

Why ‘of course’?

To me the only department he seems superior is shot stopping, yet to see much of that from McLaughlin but it looks good. In games like yesterday I’d rather have a keeper with superior command of their box and distribution.
McLaughlin has had nothing to do truth be told

Honestly no idea at the moment.

I initially thought the whole McGregor never comes off his line was a bit of an over exaggeration but after seeing McLaughlin I don't know now :D

Back