Allan McGregor or Jon McLaughlin

Who should be 1st Choice.

• McGregor

Votes: 744 45.7%
  • McLaughlin

Votes: 884 54.3%

• Total voters
Plenty of we'll see what Gerrard does St the weekend mate.
Were you one of them?
Gerrard played McLaughlin.
Did you notice?
Hit us with another excuse if so. ;)

I expect McGregor to get his place back when fully fit, but probably after the internationals. I think McGregor had 1 day of training before the previous game. So basically a week before this one.

I still believe very strongly McGregor will get the gloves back.

McLaughlin actually did something today that really impressed me, the save from the corner obviously. We've been so dominant previously that his defence have almost protected him too well to see if he is any good. That doesnt go against him, but it does also mean the clean sheets dont necessarily count so much in his favour as they would in more even matches.

I dont see anything today that requires anyone to eat humble pie?

Unless there were people saying McLaughlin isnt any good. But I dont remember seeing any of that, only that McGregor will regain his place because he is our number one.

Last edited:
Assured with the ball at his feet. Not quite Ronald Waterreus but best I’ve seen since him. Also has the added bonus of being comfortable coming for crosses.

A pleasant choice for the manager to have.

Hard one, McLaughlin keeps the game flowing a lot better with his distribution. Never see him under pressure but at this rate, we don't need a keeper

I expect McGregor to get his place back when gully fit, but probably after the internationals. I think McGregor had 1 day of training before the previous game. So basically a week before this one.

McLaughlin actually did something today that really impressed me, the save from teh corner obviously. We've been so dominant previously that his defence have almost protected him too well to see if he is any good. That doesnt go against him, but it does also mean the clean sheets dont necessarily count so much in his favour as they would in more even matches.

I dont see anything today that requires anyway to eat humble pie?

Unless there were people saying McLaughlin isnt any good. But I dont remember seeing any of that, oly that McGregor will regain his place because he is our number one.
Usual nonsense on here.

Same as the "Morelos will be gone this window, 5 windows in a row from the same folk".
As soon as he leaves it'll be, "I told you so".

"McGregor if fit will be back in."

That was the cry last weekend.

"He'll defo be back v Hamilton".

Now its after the international break.

That's all fine, and opinions are great.

"We'll see at the weekend when McGregor is back" as was trotted out various times last week.
And abuse, for a humble opinion, gives me the right to gloat I'd think.

Alfie would start. 100%. In my opinion.

Imagine Borna got injured today. If Calvin came in and set up a goal in the next 5 matches, Borna would stroll back in to the team. And rightly so, in my opinion.

If Goldson got injured today and his replacement was excellent, as JM has been, in the next 5 matches, Goldson would stroll back in to the team. And rightly so, in my opinion.

Each to their own.
Gerrard to his..

You were saying.?

Usual nonsense on here.

Same as the "Morelos will be gone this window, 5 windows in a row from the same folk".
As soon as he leaves it'll be, "I told you so".

"McGregor if fit will be back in."

That was the cry last weekend.

"He'll defo be back v Hamilton".

Now its after the international break.

That's all fine, and opinions are great.

"We'll see at the weekend when McGregor is back" as was trotted out various times last week.
And abuse, for a humble opinion, gives me the right to gloat I'd think.
When McGregor gets his spot back I’ll be sure to be over egging the humble pie comments at yourself then.

Normally I think you are a pretty reasonable poster, but you’re well wide of the mark here with this smug nonsense.

Reactions: ald
McGregor still no1 for me.
McLaughlin would need to prove himself under pressure in Europe, tougher away grounds like Easter road and the piggery until
I’m convinced otherwise

Lucky to have two top goalies (and young Robby) on our books. Great recruitment making us strong is this and other areas.

When McGregor gets his spot back I’ll be sure to be over egging the humble pie comments at yourself then.

Normally I think you are a pretty reasonable poster, but you’re well wide of the mark here with this smug nonsense.
I had people telling me I'm full of shite and we'd see at the weekend.
From memory one of our very own admin team was on the same train.

It's a forum, a bit of fun. So neither do I have time to troll through 8 pages to confirm my memories or look to apologise for gloating when proven correct, after accepting being called out without making a scene.

Your generally not a bad lad either so no harm intended.

I expect McGregor to get his place back when gully fit, but probably after the internationals. I think McGregor had 1 day of training before the previous game. So basically a week before this one.

McLaughlin actually did something today that really impressed me, the save from teh corner obviously. We've been so dominant previously that his defence have almost protected him too well to see if he is any good. That doesnt go against him, but it does also mean the clean sheets dont necessarily count so much in his favour as they would in more even matches.

I dont see anything today that requires anyway to eat humble pie?

Unless there were people saying McLaughlin isnt any good. But I dont remember seeing any of that, oly that McGregor will regain his place because he is our number one.
McLaughlin is now the number 1. Its his to lose but he hasn't put a foot wrong so far

McLaughlin is now the number 1. Its his to lose but he hasn't put a foot wrong so far
MCLaughlin is in goals now because McGregor has been injured. I’m not convinced Gerrard sees him as his number 1 yet.

If AM fails to regain the gloves after say a few games post the internationals then that may tell a different story.

I had people telling me I'm full of shite and we'd see at the weekend.
From memory one of our very own admin team was on the same train.

It's a forum, a bit of fun. So neither do I have time to troll through 8 pages to confirm my memories or look to apologise for gloating when proven correct, after accepting being called out without making a scene.

Your generally not a bad lad either so no harm intended.
If people were saying you were full of shite, fair enough, I missed that.

Mostly the feeling I was getting was McGregor will regain his place once he regains full fitness. But if people were going over the top then no harm in throwing it back at them.

McGregor still no1 for me.
McLaughlin would need to prove himself under pressure in Europe, tougher away grounds like Easter road and the piggery until
I’m convinced otherwise
The fact we’ve been so dominant almost counts against JM.

Look at Boyd discussing it after the game. He recalled the one save before today, header v one of the Saints maybe? And the save at the corner today was exceptional reactions. Other than that Boyd struggled to remember his contributions.

He’s just had limited opportunity to impress, which is great for the team but hard for his opportunities to replace AM longer term.

If people were saying you were full of shite, fair enough, I missed that.

Mostly the feeling I was getting was McGregor will regain his place once he regains full fitness. But if people were going over the top then no harm in throwing it back at them.
I didn't even say mclauchlin should keep his place.
I only replied saying it wasn't clear cut when someone said, "McGregor, end of." :))

As I say though, it's all fun and games until someone loses 3 days....

Love shagger but at this moment and time he’s lost the jersey McLaughlin hasn’t put a foot wrong and feel very secure with him between the sticks

Feels weird not voting for McGregor. But McLaughlin has made that jersey his own. both are quality keepers but McLaughlin is playing like he’s been our number one for years right now!

Cant change things at the back when no goals are being conceded. Starting to wonder if McGregor might ask for a move. This is probably his last season as a player and I dont know if he will want to sit on the bench.

Cant change things at the back when no goals are being conceded. Starting to wonder if McGregor might ask for a move. This is probably his last season as a player and I dont know if he will want to sit on the bench.
Mate.

McGregor will probably retire at Rangers.

McLaughlin hasn’t put a foot wrong. Unfortunately he’s had very little to do and McGregor will probably come in sooner or late. My money is on sooner.

JM has done nothing wrong so deserves to keep the jersey.
Hardly deserves to be dropped given he has conceded zero league goals.
Although a lot of the credit for that goes to those in front of him he has made a couple of smart saves when required and did so again today.
Great to have the level of competition though.

Feels crazy to have a keeper of Mcgregor’s quality not start week in week out but Mclaughlin’s passing seems to be superior which is useful in starting an attack rather than just hoofing the ball upfield

I commented earlier on this thread saying it was McLaughlin for me due to his quicker distribution of the ball. After today I’d also add McLaughlin also deals with the ball at his feet better than Mcgregor. Thought he was great today with his composure on the ball.

I felt at the turn of the year that McGregor was looking erratic coming off his line and with the ball at his feet.

McLaughlin looks stronger in those areas aswell as taking crosses with a greater ease.

He also appears to have the shot-stopping reflexes too, after the header save today.

what a great problem for a Manager to have.

Mclaughlin hasn’t done anything wrong but hasn’t really been tested.

Good with ball at his feet, distribution good, commands his area well and a couple of decent stops but nothing beyond that. It has been a great start this season, but that’s been a great collective effort.

However, McGregor can pull a pig from a poke under pressure, we’ve seen it so many times it’s practically routine.

I wouldn’t be comfortable pitching Mclaughlin in against Celtic at this stage if McGregor was available. I feel that McGregor will be 1st choice throughout the matches in September in the run up to that game to get him match ready for it.

As the cliche goes though, it’s a great problem to have

Mclaughlin has the shirt.

He should keep it as he has not set a foot wrong since gaining it.

Same as every other position.

Possible lucky omen this season, the last time they chased 10 in 74/75 Stuart Kennedy replaced regular Peter McCloy in goal.
Kennedy played 42 games that season on our way to the championship (Peter played 44 games the season before).
Hopefully history repeats itself with Jon in goals.

Hasn’t had the chance to prove he can make the saves McGregor does in the big games yet but at the moment I feel more comfortable with Mclaughlin. He’s dealt better so far with crossed balls and has better distribution.

Morellos was a sub today and nobody is complaining about that too much.

Much as we love him and McGregor the facts are they have to earn their place back in the team.

It’s a good problem for us to have.

Mclaughlin has the shirt.

He should keep it as he has not set a foot wrong since gaining it.

Same as every other position.
I understand the sentiment, unfortunately for managers and teams the world over for many years the gloves have never been treated “same as every other position”. Managers tend to revert to their #1, even if that appears harsh on the understudy.

Possible lucky omen this season, the last time they chased 10 in 74/75 Stuart Kennedy replaced regular Peter McCloy in goal.
Kennedy played 42 games that season on our way to the championship (Peter played 44 games the season before).
Hopefully history repeats itself with Jon in goals.

Tell me more :)

Mate.

McGregor will probably retire at Rangers.

McLaughlin hasn’t put a foot wrong. Unfortunately he’s had very little to do and McGregor will probably come in sooner or late. My money is on sooner.
Based on what?

Why is it unfortunate he’s has very little to do? :)

McLaughlin has shown a couple of times he has great reflexes. He also is far better with the ball at his feet and commands his box better. Couple of times today he came and McGregor would’ve been rooted to his line.

People aren’t being objective because of their, admittedly understandable, man love for McGregor.

Based on what?

Why is it unfortunate he’s has very little to do? :)

McLaughlin has shown a couple of times he has great reflexes. He also is far better with the ball at his feet and commands his box better. Couple of times today he came and McGregor would’ve been rooted to his line.

People aren’t being objective because of their, admittedly understandable, man love for McGregor.
It’s not about a lack of objectivity.

Its about realism and observation of football over many decades.

Typically, managers treat the GK position different to others. They have their number 1 and he will always end up coming back in, barring a horrendous loss of form.

Situations like this have played out many times over with the long-standing number 1 regaining his spot. It’s harsh on JM, but - and this why I said unfortunately - AM will likely come back in after the international break. Unless he isn’t fully fit.

JM is AMs understudy and I believe SG still sees it this way. What little JM has had to do so far, unfortunately, is not enough to displace AM. Remember AM lost his spot through injury, not form.

Both outstanding keepers, Mclaughlan hasn't put a foot wrong so has to keep the Jersey for me, also he looks so comfortable with the ball at his feet, not saying he's a better keeper than shagger but deserves to keep his place

If we have a shot at 55 and getting back to our rightful place as top dogs in Scotland this season, no way on earth Greegs would want to miss that, playing or not.

It’s not about a lack of objectivity.

Its about realism and observation of football over many decades.

Typically, managers treat the GK position different to others. They have their number 1 and he will always end up coming back in, barring a horrendous loss of form.

Situations like this have played out many times over with the long-standing number 1 regaining his spot. It’s harsh on JM, but - and this why I said unfortunately - AM will likely come back in after the international break. Unless he isn’t fully fit.

JM is AMs understudy and I believe SG still sees it this way. What little JM has had to do so far, unfortunately, is not enough to displace AM. Remember AM lost his spot through injury, not form.
I completely disagree.

He may not have had to save us after allowing a one on one but he’s shown enough in every other aspect of his game. Let’s wait and see who's right.

Another absolutely cracking save from a header today yet people continue to say he hasn't "been tested", he gets it even slightly wrong and it's a goal.

Reactions: Dom
Big fan of McGregor and he's had many massive games for us but McLaughlin has done nothing to merit being dropped. Better at commanding his 6 yard area too.

Last edited:
I completely disagree.

He may not have had to save us after allowing a one on one but he’s shown enough in every other aspect of his game. Let’s wait and see who's right.
You disagree that a lot of top managers tend to revert to their number 1 regardless of how the back up plays when the number 1 misses a few games through injury? Because that’s basically my main argument. Not about whether or not JM has played well. Which he has.

Last edited:
Another absolutely cracking save from a header today yet people continue to say he hasn't "been tested", he gets it even slightly wrong and it's a goal.
No one is denying he has dealt with little he has had to well. But I believe he’s made two proper saves? Today and the header a few games ago, that was still basically right at him and an error by the striker, but decent enough reaction save.

He hasn’t done anything wrong. But we’ve dominated the games so utterly he hasn’t really been tested. It’s still fair to say that.

He’s had what, 6 saves across 4 or 5 games? Unless Hamilton had more than one shot on goal today? He’s been good, but he hasn’t really been tested. Both those statements are fair. A keeper who has been tested is making half a dozen saves a game, not half a dozen saves in half a dozen games.

Its somewhat analogous to Roofe in a way. There’s plenty of indication we have a good player on our hands, but more evidence needed.

McLaughlin has the jersey and has looked good in it. I say he keeps it until Shagger can win it back on merit. Obviously we dont see whats going on behind the scenes so that decision is the gaffer's

Back