Allan McGregor or Jon McLaughlin

Who should be 1st Choice.

• McGregor

Votes: 744 45.7%
  • McLaughlin

Votes: 884 54.3%

• Total voters
I don’t want to pour petrol on the flames, or alarm anyone fiercely loyal to McGregor, but consider this:

Our recruitment now is extremely targeted and scientific and goes way beyond just signing players we think might be good. Player stats, strengths and weaknesses are all well assessed over a period to ascertain their suitability to fit into our ethos and way of play.

McLaughlin appears to be very strong in the areas that McGregor is weakest in, high cross balls, kicking, distribution and he is taller.

My money is on him being carefully selected as a genuine first pick option rather than just a good freebie back-up and it is clear that his strengths compliment our team and style.

You disagree that a lot of top managers tend to revert to their number 1 regardless of how the back up plays when the number 1 misses a few games through injury? Because that’s basically my main argument. Not about whether or not JM has played well. Which he has.
Can you give an example of a ‘backup’ keeper being dropped despite being excellent and keeping clean sheets? During this time he has also displayed strengths that the ‘first choice’ keeper lacks so yes I disagree that it’s as black and white as saying the guy with 1 on his back will come straight back because that’s just the way it is.

Reactions: Dom
Can you give an example of a ‘backup’ keeper being dropped despite being excellent and keeping clean sheets? During this time he has also displayed strengths that the ‘first choice’ keeper lacks so yes I disagree that it’s as black and white as saying the guy with 1 on his back will come straight back because that’s just the way it is.

It would send entirely the wrong message to the rest of the squad, McLaughlin has done nothing wrong to deserve being dropped. He's had four clean sheets on the spin and made some good saves in those games.
It's his jersey until he puts in a performance that means he doesn't deserve it.

I am a fan of McGregor, he has stopped some amount of shots you thought were in, but for all that he is prone to losing the rag and got us in situations previously. His distribution at points too isn't the best.

Since Mclaughlin has been in goals the back four seem more settled, he is assured when he comes for crosses and can play under pressure.

For me its McLaughlins to lose.

It would send entirely the wrong message to the rest of the squad, McLaughlin has done nothing wrong to deserve being dropped. He's had four clean sheets on the spin and made some good saves in those games.
It's his jersey until he puts in a performance that means he doesn't deserve it.
It’s mostly sentiment if we are being honest.

I know he's not been under significant pressure but we seldom are domestically. McLaughlin has made several decent stops, comes out confidently for crosses, is comfortable with the ball at his feet and looks to release the ball a lot quicker.

It'll be harsh to be dropped.

McLaughlin should be our starting goalie but it's brilliant to have two quality keepers. McLaughlin has better distribution, better with the ball at his feet etc. Made a brilliant save today but McGregor is clearly approaching the end of his footballing career but he still has it. We saw it last season.

I would still play McGregor in a game against them because of his experience.

Did we get McLaughlin on a free?

I get the impression McLaughlin could keep another 20 clean sheets in a row and there would still be people arguing he should be dropped for McGregor.

Mclaughlin is now in possession of the jersey and has presided over a period where we look stronger defensively than at any point since Walter was manager.

A good defence works as a unit and a goalkeeper is a key component to that.I dare say that McLaughlin’s communication and organisational skills are a huge factor in why we currently look so strong there.

Last edited:
I get the impression McLaughlin could keep another 20 clean sheets in a row and there would still be people arguing he should be dropped for McGregor.

Mclaughlin is now in possession of the jersey and has presided over a period where we look stronger defensively than at any point since Walter was manager.

A good defence works as a unit and a goalkeeper is a key component to that.I dare say that McLaughlin’s communication and organisational skills are a huge factor in why we currently look so strong there.

I agree but their arguments are valid.

McGregor is probably a top 3 goalkeeper in our entire history and lost his job due to injury. He’s played as well as ever the past 2 years.

McLaughlin is miles better than I ever thought he was going to be but I just feel more comfortable with McGregor in goals. I can’t really properly explain it but it is what it is.

Reminds me of the Ronald Waterreus situation when he was brought in to cover for Stefan Klos. For me McLaughlin retains the jersey, absolute fantastic signing that fills me with confidence. Contrast to the other side of the City and £5m goal keepers ain’t ronseal.

No problem:

All this sentiment nonsense is just that.

No one is saying JM is not a good player. No one is saying he has not done the little he has had to do well. No is saying there aren’t things he appears to do better than AM. E.g. playing the ball with his feet.

People talk about Gerrard having his favourites, undroppables e.g. Goldson And they said the same about Warburton, Murty, Coisty, Walter, Eck etc.

This concept of favourites tends to be even stronger when it comes to a managers keeper. I still think AM holds this position in Gerards eyes. I could be wrong. Ignoring AM and JM for the moment, generally there has to be a massive swing in fortunes, in loss of form and outstanding performances between #1 and back up for this position to change. I don’t believe we’re there yet.

Proof will be in the pudding, but I think it won’t be long before SG demonstrates who is no. 1 is.

Last edited:
Reactions: ald
No problem:

No one is not saying JM is not a good player. No one is saying he has not done the little he has had to do well. No is saying there aren’t things he appears to do better than AM. E.g. playing the ball with his feet.

People talk about Gerrard having his favourites, undroppables e.g. Goldson And they said the same about Warburton, Murty, Coisty, Walter, Eck etc.

This concept of favourites tends to be even stronger when it comes to a managers keeper. I still think AM holds this position in Gerards eyes. I could be wrong. Ignoring AM and JM for the moment, generally there has to be a massive swing in fortunes, in loss of form and outstanding performances between #1 and back up for this position to change. I don’t believe we’re there yet.

Proof will be in the pudding, but I think it won’t be long before SG demonstrates who is no. 1 is.
Can’t really compare it. Adrian is utter pish for the EPL & Alisson is at a world class level in EPL standards. McGregor & McLaughlin are nothing extremely good for the SPFL.

Can’t really compare it. Adrian is utter pish for the EPL & Alisson is at a world class level in EPL standards. McGregor & McLaughlin are nothing extremely good for the SPFL.
They specifically talk about him playing very well and making lots of good saves in the period Alison was out.

If people just refuse to accept the point I am making, which is mangers often refer back to their chosen number 1 without a mountain of evidence to change their mind, because they are desperate to see JM stay in goal, fine.

I’m not even saying JM deserves to be dropped or AM deserves to come back in. I’m just pointing out how managers often treat their number 1 position.

I am not sure I really follow the logic of the “he’s not done anything wrong yet so he keeps the jersey argument”. If that is your approach then it feels like you are just waiting for the first slip up from McLaughlin before you say that he should be dropped. If you genuinely think that McLaughlin is a better keeper than McGregor then absolutely it is entirely logical you would say that McLaughlin should be the starting keeper. But if, fundamentally, you think McGregor is the better keeper (and he is fully fit) then I think it logically follows that you have to say that he should be the starting keeper.

For me, my gut feel is that McGregor is likely the better keeper. I think that is what the careers to date of McGregor and McLaughlin would suggest. Now that might change at some point, indeed maybe it already has - maybe the coaching staff do think that McGregor has “lost a step” (or whatever the equivalent is for a goalie). But I haven’t heard anyone suggest that. If there was a really big game tomorrow - say an Old Firm game - I would be picking McGregor.

There are plenty of good players who don’t do anything wrong over several games but still find themselves dropped. Indeed you could say that someone like Edmundson was one of our best performers in pre season and didn’t do anything wrong. Yet he found himself dropped in favour of Balogun come the start of the season and is now 4th choice.

No problem:

No one is saying JM is not a good player. No one is saying he has not done the little he has had to do well. No is saying there aren’t things he appears to do better than AM. E.g. playing the ball with his feet.

You seriously aren’t comparing our situation to that of Alisson and Adrian?

One is a world-class keeper who starts for Brazil, and the other is an ex-west ham back up who was signed by the club as a precaution due to their lack of depth in the goalkeeping department.

Our clean sheet record with McLaughlin has been top notch so far, Liverpool’s with Adrian last season was the complete opposite.

You seriously aren’t comparing our situation to that of Alisson and Adrian?

One is a world-class keeper who starts for Brazil, and the other is an ex-west ham back up who was signed by the club as a precaution due to their lack of depth in the goalkeeping department.

Our clean sheet record with McLaughlin has been top notch so far, Liverpool’s with Adrian last season was the complete opposite.
Who was McLaughlin before a couple of clean sheets?

I was asked to provide an example of a number. 1 regaining his spot after being injured when his back up had played well. That is an example of a number 1 regaining his place after injury when his back up has played well.

Who was McLaughlin before a couple of clean sheets?

I was asked to provide an example of a number. 1 regaining his spot after being injured when his back up had played well. That is an example of a number 1 regaining his place after injury when his back up has played well.
Adrian never played well though:D He’s the prime reason they were knocked out the CL for f**k sake haha

I am not sure I really follow the logic of the “he’s not done anything wrong yet so he keeps the jersey argument”. If that is your approach then it feels like you are just waiting for the first slip up from McLaughlin before you say that he should be dropped. If you genuinely think that McLaughlin is a better keeper than McGregor then absolutely it is entirely logical you would say that McLaughlin should be the starting keeper. But if, fundamentally, you think McGregor is the better keeper (and he is fully fit) then I think it logically follows that you have to say that he should be the starting keeper.

For me, my gut feel is that McGregor is likely the better keeper. I think that is what the careers to date of McGregor and McLaughlin would suggest. Now that might change at some point, indeed maybe it already has - maybe the coaching staff do think that McGregor has “lost a step” (or whatever the equivalent is for a goalie). But I haven’t heard anyone suggest that. If there was a really big game tomorrow - say an Old Firm game - I would be picking McGregor.

There are plenty of good players who don’t do anything wrong over several games but still find themselves dropped. Indeed you could say that someone like Edmundson was one of our best performers in pre season and didn’t do anything wrong. Yet he found himself dropped in favour of Balogun come the start of the season and is now 4th choice.
Thanks for bringing a bit of common sense to proceedings. Clear you have actually watched and followed football over a number of years.

Adrian never played well though:D He’s the prime reason they were knocked out the CL for f**k sake haha
At the start of the season which was the specific example I provides. For %^*& sake ha ha.

You aren’t even reading and computing the info provided because you’ve already arrived at your conclusion.

At the start of the season which was the specific example I provides. For %^*& sake ha ha.

You aren’t even reading and computing the info provided because you’ve already arrived at your conclusion.
My conclusion is that Adrian never played well when Alisson was our injured. He made countless mistakes, including gifting a goal to Danny Ings in his first PL start for Liverpool when he had all the time in the world to pass the ball to either centre back.

McLaughlin doesn’t deserve to drop the jersey because he’s keeping clean sheets, and his build up play is much better than McGregor’s, which for the past two seasons has mostly been a long kick to Tav on the right wing.

Last edited:
Would love to see McLaughlin playing against CFC. He is excellent with his feet and distribution is top notch. He is the man to deal with high crosses and set up a counter attack from corners and free kicks.

McLaughlin should be our starting goalie but it's brilliant to have two quality keepers. McLaughlin has better distribution, better with the ball at his feet etc. Made a brilliant save today but McGregor is clearly approaching the end of his footballing career but he still has it. We saw it last season.

I would still play McGregor in a game against them because of his experience.

Did we get McLaughlin on a free?
The speed of JM’s distribution has altered the dynamics of the back four

No problem:

What strengths did Adrian demonstrate that Allison lacks? Allison was bought for about £70m and is a genuinely world class goalkeeper :))

What strengths did Adrian demonstrate that Allison lacks? Allison was bought for about £70m and is a genuinely world class goalkeeper :))
I was asked to post an example of a number 1 regaining his spot after returning from injury when his understudy was said to have played well. I did that.

Much like McGregor’s career and performances have been far better tHan McLaughlin’s, Alison > Adrian.

If people want to get carried away with 6 saves in 4 matches, only 1 of which doesn’t fall under “should have saved that” and having decent passing, knock yourselves out.

I made my argument. I was challenged to provide an example. I did that. The goalposts were then moved.

Proof will be in the pudding.

I was asked to post an example of a number 1 regaining his spot after returning from injury when his understudy was said to have played well. I did that.

Much like McGregor’s career and performances have been far better tHan McLaughlin’s, Alison > Adrian.

If people want to get carried away with 6 saves in 4 matches, only 1 of which doesn’t fall under “should have saved that” and having decent passing, knock yourselves out.

I made my argument. I was challenged to provide an example. I did that. The goalposts were then moved.

Proof will be in the pudding.
Yes, you did provide a loose example of what you thought I asked for. But considering the fee paid for Allison and the fact that Adrian was an older understudy who has absolutely no chance of taking Allison’s place in the team in the long term the comparison makes no sense. At no point during his spot in the team did he display any strengths that Allison lacked either.

You can dismiss the praise for him being about being a bit good at passing if you want but I guarantee Gerrard is impressed with his composure and distribution. Let’s not forget how reluctant McGregor is to come and claim crosses, McLaughlin’s command of his box is on a different level.

Very good post- probably the most sensible take on things on the entire thread. :cool:

Here's your choice:

Stick with the man who has yet to concede a goal and has the defence playing as a solid confident unit

or

Replace him with an over-the-hill, injury prone keeper who has his feet nailed to the goal line, and who's only creative flair is to punt goal kicks into touch. He's good at reflex saves, but.

If we get into group stages of EL - no reason for these 2 not to rotate. Same with quite a few others on the team esp if we have long trips

Gradually Rangers are beginning to look like the Rangers through the ages, dominating games to the extent that our goalkeepers most important quality is concentration and the ability to pull off one or two isolated saves over 90 minutes.

To that end whilst acknowledging shagger as a top quality shot stopper who has saved our bacon on innumerable occasions, I think the current incumbent of the GK jersey is better suited to our current style of football.

He completely dominates his area, moves the ball accurately and with speed, whether from hands or with feet. at 6’ 3” he is hugely confident and competent under the high ball. His concentration levels and reflexes are absolutely of the highest order.

As others have observed he has not had to contend with the high pressure environments in which shagger has thrived, which I am sure is not lost on the manager. But I think technically McLaughlin is over all a more complete goalkeeper, which is where my only doubts about him reside...How has he managed to have such a modest career thus far, given his obvious talent?

It will be interesting to see whether the manager reverts to his tried and tested goalkeeper as the high pressure games come thick and fast. Shagger has earned the managers trust and to that end if he is restored as number one, I will not be disappointed as he has rarely let us down.

My preference would be to stick with McLaughlin until he gives the manager reason to change things.

McLaughlin just based on the fact we haven't conceded a goal in the league! If we don't concede we can't lose !

Gradually Rangers are beginning to look like the Rangers through the ages, dominating games to the extent that our goalkeepers most important quality is concentration and the ability to pull off one or two isolated saves over 90 minutes.

To that end whilst acknowledging shagger as a top quality shot stopper who has saved our bacon on innumerable occasions, I think the current incumbent of the GK jersey is better suited to our current style of football.

He completely dominates his area, moves the ball accurately and with speed, whether from hands or with feet. at 6’ 3” he is hugely confident and competent under the high ball. His concentration levels and reflexes are absolutely of the highest order.

As others have observed he has not had to contend with the high pressure environments in which shagger has thrived, which I am sure is not lost on the manager. But I think technically McLaughlin is over all a more complete goalkeeper, which is where my only doubts about him reside...How has he managed to have such a modest career thus far, given his obvious talent?

It will be interesting to see whether the manager reverts to his tried and tested goalkeeper as the high pressure games come thick and fast. Shagger has earned the managers trust and to that end if he is restored as number one, I will not be disappointed as he has rarely let us down.

My preference would be to stick with McLaughlin until he gives the manager reason to change things.
Fair analysis.

It's a difficult choice but a great one to have, McLaughlin has been good and has done nothing wrong but hasn't really been tested the same McGregor has in the past

At last we have some real competition for goalkeeper, which is a good position to be in. McLaughlin has done nothing wrong and looks like a fantastic signing. His introduction to the team has coincided with our defence getting it's act together. With Goldson now looking solid and good choices for his defensive partner, that whole area of our team is beginning to look the part. After having said all of that, if we were playing them tomorrow, I would pick McGregor.

Anybody wanting to make changes to anywhere in the backline the now are off there head, we're not conceding and don't look like conceding.
Mclaughlin commands his box so much better, noticed how comfortable he is coming off his line and collecting cross balls, mcgregor is welded to his line at times.
McGregor is still a great goalie but he'll need to be patient like anybody else in any other position, he's not got a god given right to the jersey and atm the backline are looking superb

Dropping McLaughlin at this present would seriously be a miscarriage of justice.Mcgregor will just need to sweat it out a little longer.

Back