Daniel Johnson of Preston

How come their fans seem raging about it then?
See the josh windass thread when he was leaving maybe?

Also I don’t think you appreciate how poor a football team Preston are. Long ball turgid awful football.

Perhaps worth remembering one of the best players to play for Preston in a good while is Joe Garner.

I have seen him a lot, check my post above.

I know next to nothing about this guy but your post puzzles me.

If you've watched him so much you have presumably watched the performances that got him POTY at his club last season and have, by some accounts, the PNE fans furious at the thought of him leaving.

So what is it you've seen that would make you think he'd be a "horrendous" signing?

I know next to nothing about this guy but your post puzzles me.

If you've watched him so much you have presumably watched the performances that got him POTY at his club last season and have, by some accounts, the PNE fans furious at the thought of him leaving.

So what is it you've seen that would make you think he'd be a "horrendous" signing?
If we are judging ourselves on Preston then we are in trouble. He is nowhere near good enough. In my opinion of course.

Yes I live just outside of Preston, I watch them semi regularly in the pub I drink in and half of my mates are season ticket holders. He would be a terrible signing.
Not a snide dig but a serious question .

Would any of those season ticket holders have voted for him for POTY?

Is it normal for our club to let the cat out the bag when it comes to signing new players, not imo so I will wait and see how this goes.

If we are judging ourselves on Preston then we are in trouble. He is nowhere near good enough. In my opinion of course.

What do you mean?

If you mean he plays for Preston therefore he can't be good i'd point you in the direction of Aribo to take one example.

Again I have no idea if the guy is any good and you've watched him quite a bit. I'm just curious about the strength of your conviction here.

What makes you think I don’t view this guy as a future Rangers captain like our current captain who warburton signed ;)

........Or will that not suit your hissy fit narrative.

For the avoidance of doubt, I never said anything negative about this player. You’re jumping to conclusions.

Atleast it makes you look hard though. Well played big man :))
No trying to look hard, it just triggers me when people make such lazy statements. If that wasn't what you were implying fair enough but plenty of people do.

Preston fans rating a player doesn't mean they are good enough for Rangers.

Johnston is a good player at Preston's level. Does he have it in him to make the step up to our level?

Is he better than our current options?

Does he take our team to another level?

Sensible post. I don’t give a %^*& what Preston fans say. Is this good enough to help win us this league is the key question.

What do you mean?

If you mean he plays for Preston therefore he can't be good i'd point you in the direction of Aribo to take one example.

Again I have no idea if the guy is any good and you've watched him quite a bit. I'm just curious about the strength of your conviction here.
Good players can play for average teams. I don’t think he is one.

My point about Preston is that being their player of the year last season wouldn’t make you a good player.

Where exactly should one of our transfer targets be at 27 and 3/4 years of age?

I think the point is that if we’re looking to spend money on a Preston North End player perhaps someone four or five years younger would be the optimum age?

Could be good, but I can’t help feeling this is a cut price alternative because the Alfie deal has gone cold and we can’t leave it until the last minute of the window to go for other possibly more expensive targets.

With Aribo also out for a while, we definitely need to boost that midfield somehow.

Would expect a smarter response with a username like that.
How original, haven’t heard that one before. Who a player plays for at that stage in his career is actually a pretty good indicator of how good a player he is. His stats are decent and no more. I wouldn’t see it as a very ambitious signing, not least because in that position players peak fairly young.

Last edited:
How come their fans seem raging about it then?

If it were fans of a team better than Preston then you maybe have a point.

But Preston aren’t exactly a great side so because some of their fans aren’t happy at losing their best player, doesn’t mean he’s automatically a great signing if we make it happen.

I’m sure if we went for Barnsley’s best player their fans would be unhappy too. Means nothing really.

I’m not saying he’s mince as I’ve never seen him play but equally, can’t say he’d be a great signing based on some fans on their forums being unhappy

To be honest I’m expecting better no offence to the boy but I thought we were looking at a higher Caliber

Fans reaction isn't the only barometer of a players ability but it is usually a useful guide when trying to assess the over all picture.

I accept that Preston aren't the best and I also accept that some people have seen far more of them than me .

That said , if we are interested , I will wait until he arrives and plays before judging him .

If it were fans of a team better than Preston then you maybe have a point.

But Preston aren’t exactly a great side so because some of their fans aren’t happy at losing their best player, doesn’t mean he’s automatically a great signing if we make it happen.

I’m sure if we went for Barnsley’s best player their fans would be unhappy too. Means nothing really.

I’m not saying he’s mince as I’ve never seen him play but equally, can’t say he’d be a great signing based on some fans on their forums being unhappy
He is not Preston's best player. He is not mince but he is not on the same level as Jack/Aribo/Hagi/Davis/Kamara.
For that reason - I'm out.

Remember wstching him a couple of seasons back as he had a very good game that day, and stood out.

But that was one game, so will judge him if/when he arrives and plays.

Fans reaction isn't the only barometer of a players ability but it is usually a useful guide when trying to assess the over all picture.

I accept that Preston aren't the best and I also accept that some people have seen far more of them than me .

That said , if we are interested , I will wait until he arrives and plays before judging him

You must be new here :))

Who’s going to break it to them we’d want more than double that for Kent.

Championship diddy clubs hate it when we show interest in their player. That’s because the player is always desperate to come and it contradicts their deluded view of both clubs.
It blows their Sky distorted reality right out of the water.

Can’t get excited about this.

was expecting a name that you’d be confident would go straight into the 11 and take 55 by the neck from the middle of the park.

Like Pedro Mendes

Is he the guy ?
We have to have some context here we signed Mendes from a stable mid table epl team over ten years ago for what 3.5 million that same player now costs over ten million we're not shopping in that market anymore

We need an attacking direct midfielder who can take the ball forward and bring our other front players into the equation and inflict goals on the opposition.

That's what we don't have.

Not much to be impressed about in that for me, other than his cross for Moult’s header that’s a pretty poor highlight reel imo.

The Aribo comparisons are lazy (not directed at you Badger), at 22 Joe had Arsenal and Man City monitoring his contract situation at Charlton. We pulled off some coup getting him, Johnson isn’t on Aribo’s level.

Also, seems his goal tally could be padded out due to him being on penalties, counted 3/4 in that video. Nothing wrong with that, and he takes a good one going off that video, but we need a midfielder scoring, and assisting, from open play.

Ah a D. Johnson you say. He just needs 't' and an 'e' in his surname and he might be a 'Rangers Great' I.e. D. Johnstone. Or I 'll maybe settle for just the 't' as in Willie Johnston. If he is as good as either of them we are flying.

However, If he signs it should be great fun on here with the 'Surname Correct Spelling Police' ! Johnson, Johnston or Johnstone? At least his christian name does not start with a J.;)

Last edited:
Just text my colleague, he's a Preston season ticket holder, says he is very good and our offer is about £10m short.
Just passing it on before the crackpot's start on me.
No chance they’ll get that off anyone though, considering any team that is in for him could get him for free at the end of the season. I think 2 million won’t be too far off for the Preston board tbh.

Back