Daniel Johnson of Preston

Need goals from midfield now, as Jack and Kamara don't provide them.
and with Joe out for weeks.
sign him

I'm a Preston ST holder so I've seen a lot of him.

Been at the Club a few years now but it's only really over the last 18 months he's come good & was probably Preston's best player last season. Before that he was very in & out, brilliant one week then useless the next, incredibly frustrating.

Got a good a range of passes on him, is excellent at free kicks & works hard without the ball as well.

TBH I'm not his biggest fan cos as above though he can be woefully inconsistent.

Is he any better than what we currently have? I'm not sure.

Preston won't want to sell & will've offered him a new deal but with 1 year left there could be a deal to be done.

See the josh windass thread when he was leaving maybe?

Also I don’t think you appreciate how poor a football team Preston are. Long ball turgid awful football.

Perhaps worth remembering one of the best players to play for Preston in a good while is Joe Garner.

Completely OT but that's utter nonsense. Preston may be a lot of things but long ball they certainly aren't.

If you thought it was bad to watch now you obviously didn't see much when Simon Grayson was in charge.

You're certainly right about Garner though, he was absolutely brilliant for North End & quite rightly loved by the fans & we all know what happened after that.......

If it were fans of a team better than Preston then you maybe have a point.

But Preston aren’t exactly a great side so because some of their fans aren’t happy at losing their best player, doesn’t mean he’s automatically a great signing if we make it happen.

I’m sure if we went for Barnsley’s best player their fans would be unhappy too. Means nothing really.

I’m not saying he’s mince as I’ve never seen him play but equally, can’t say he’d be a great signing based on some fans on their forums being unhappy

It's open to debate whether he's even Preston's best player.

Ben Pearson would probably edge him out.

Our signings need to be right their is very little room for manoeuvre if we fcuk up, this is Gerrards most important season at the club. I don’t know much about this guy if he’s the level or not but I’d expect a much better calibre of player if I’m honest.

Laughing once more at state of 'journalism' in this country.

Glasgow Live's article "Who is Rangers 'target' Daniel Johnson? The Preston North End midfielder liked with Ibrox switch" literally starts with the following sentence:

"Steven Gerrard is reportedly keen on a move for the 25 year old"

... He's 27. Stopped reading immediately. How do they get away with this absolute rubbish?!?!

Laughing once more at state of 'journalism' in this country.

Glasgow Live's article "Who is Rangers 'target' Daniel Johnson? The Preston North End midfielder liked with Ibrox switch" literally starts with the following sentence:

"Steven Gerrard is reportedly keen on a move for the 25 year old"

... He's 27. Stopped reading immediately. How do they get away with this absolute rubbish?!?!

And that's not me mins-spelling 'linked' in the headline. That's them!

Been at the Club a few years now but it's only really over the last 18 months he's come good & was probably Preston's best player last season. Before that he was very in & out, brilliant one week then useless the next, incredibly frustrating.

Got a good a range of passes on him, is excellent at free kicks & works hard without the ball as well.

TBH I'm not his biggest fan cos as above though he can be woefully inconsistent.

Preston won't want to sell & will've offered him a new deal but with 1 year left there could be a deal to be done.
What position does he play?. Attacking midfielder/behind the striker?

Whenever I've seen him he's played kinda left hand side of a midfield 3 but is allowed to push on, the boy Browne plays deepest of the 3 just tackling/fouling anything that moves and the other guy Harrop is more the attacking threat. Neat and tidy on the ball but I really don't see him improving our first 11.

Just my opinion.

Mate stop making useful contributions to the thread. Let the experts engage in pure speculation. Thanks. BH.

Completely OT but that's utter nonsense. Preston may be a lot of things but long ball they certainly aren't.

If you thought it was bad to watch now you obviously didn't see much when Simon Grayson was in charge.

You're certainly right about Garner though, he was absolutely brilliant for North End & quite rightly loved by the fans & we all know what happened after that.......
Preston aren’t long ball, right ok. So every time I’ve watched them or all my mates who are season ticket holders are deceived.

Literally the first article I found to back up my statement is a summary of Prestons tactical analysis on how they are direct, play long balls and by pass the midfield. https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/pr...otball-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

You can have your opinion on Johnson and that is subjective but to suggest Preston aren’t a long ball team is just wrong (in my opinion of course).

Last edited:

Alex Neil has a habit of playing folk out of position so he's played as an attacking midfielder, as a 10 behind a lone striker & also had a spell as a holding midfielder.

For me his best position is a 10 behind the striker being given licence to roam around a wee bit & create.

Listen to Alex Neil, they play direct football as he doesn't have the players to play out from the back - possession based football.

A lot of their football is direct. It gets them up the park quicker. Off the ball they work and press hard.

Midfield two/three are good at making deep runs to support the attack.

I'm sure they have mixed it from a 4-2-3-1 to 5-3-2 and if Neil had the players, he would adopt a less direct style.

Preston aren’t long ball, right ok. So every time I’ve watched them or all my mates who are season ticket holders are deceived.

Literally the first article I found to back up my statement is a summary of Prestons tactical analysis on how they are direct, play long balls and by pass the midfield. https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/pr...otball-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

You can have your opinion on Johnson and that is subjective but to suggest Preston aren’t a long ball team is just wrong.

When you've watched Preston for as long as I have & seen a John Beck team you will know what long ball is. That was a different time obviously but it's night & day compared to what I watch now.

Every team in the division relies on the long ball to some extent as most don't have the quality to pay through the midfield but to label them as long ball team is utter nonsense.

I'll leave it at that as I don't think a discussion of PNE tactics will be of interest to most on here :))

When you've watched Preston for as long as I have & seen a John Beck team you will know what long ball is. That was a different time obviously but it's night & day compared to what I watch now.

Every team in the division relies on the long ball to some extent as most don't have the quality to pay through the midfield but to label them as long ball team is utter nonsense.

I'll leave it at that as I don't think a discussion of PNE tactics will be of interest to most on here :))
I wouldn’t disagree with anything you’ve said. More long ball that Rangers then I will go for. I just think they by pass the midfield a lot and agree it is down to a lack of quality why they do that. For me that doesn’t suggest Daniel Johnson is a step up from what we have. I just don’t rate him that highly, decent enough for Preston but I don’t see how he takes us to another level.

His goal stats have been used by others as a positive but he takes penalties which skews the figures a little. I would be expecting better personally.

I wouldn’t disagree with anything you’ve said. More long ball that Rangers then I will go for. I just think they by pass the midfield a lot and agree it is down to a lack of quality why they do that. For me that doesn’t suggest Daniel Johnson is a step up from what we have. I just don’t rate him that highly, decent enough for Preston but I don’t see how he takes us to another level.

His goal stats have been used by others as a positive but he takes penalties which skews the figures a little. I would be expecting better personally.

Don't disagree with any of that mate & excellent point about the goals. His assists speak for themselves as there's no doubt on his day he is a very creative player but being a penalty taker deffo makes him look more prolific than he really is.

He's a decent player but for me he's no better than anyone we have currently. I don't blame SG for having him on the radar cos of his contract situation but we need better.

From their forums

" £2m is fucking pitiful, remember when Rangers were a big club?"

"2m for Johnson yet they want 10m for Kent (who is woeful and was poor in the championship)"

Don't think they are taking it so well...

What they don't seem to grasp is that in January he can sign for another club and they get nothing for him.

They'd also be left with a player who knows he's leaving for the 2nd half of the campaign. No one is coming in and paying huge money for him under these circumstances.

Just text my colleague, he's a Preston season ticket holder, says he is very good and our offer is about £10m short.
Just passing it on before the crackpot's start on me.
XFsC4xh.gif

Hopefully he cuts his hair to Aribo length or thereabouts. His big dreadlock ponytail was annoying me when I was watching his YouTube clips.

I appreciate we're short of numbers & the Zungu thing fell through, but right now IMO we need 2 players that will walk into our first team & start every week - a midfielder & a wide man (more in an ideal world as the Club should always be looking for better in every position).

I realise the Club will have done their scouting work on him, but based on informed comments on here (& the underwhelming YT clips), Daniel just looks as if he would simply be fighting for a place in the side.

I appreciate we're short of numbers & the Zungu thing fell through, but right now IMO we need 2 players that will walk into our first team & start every week - a midfielder & a wide man (more in an ideal world as the Club should always be looking for better in every position).

I realise the Club will have done their scouting work on him, but based on informed comments on here (& the underwhelming YT clips), Daniel just looks as if he would simply be fighting for a place in the side.
What about informed comments from all the preston fans who say hes their best player and dont want to lose him?

Arfield is now competition from the bench, you telling me this guy will get the same or less game time as Arfield?

People go to Ibrox week in week out and say players like Tav etc are shite, I wouldnt class this as informed insight.

Back