Daniel Johnson of Preston

Looking forward to seeing what he offers if he’s signing. Won’t even bother watching the Youtube videos as they tell you absolutely nothing either way. Joe Garner’s highlight reel from Preston made him look like he was a great finisher with both feet and scored a barrel load of headers. What we got was a nutcase who could barely shoot and dived every time he backed into a defender :D

Looking forward to seeing what he offers if he’s signing. Won’t even bother watching the Youtube videos as they tell you absolutely nothing either way. Joe Garner’s highlight reel from Preston made him look like he was a great finisher with both feet and scored a barrel load of headers. What we got was a nutcase who could barely shoot and dived every time he backed into a defender :D

Sure he scored a screamer that was used in an advert.

It’s really important to remember that we aren’t able to shop in the cast iron, top class, no rush, finished article game changer market anymore.These guys are sought after, and cost top money. It’s all about long term scouting, and trying to get guy that fits the system, and strengthenthe first team.

Aribo dropping out has highlighted the need for better depth in the advanced midfield position. A bit more guile and imagination ahead of what is a very good, solid and efficient midfield platform.

We needed better scouting. So far we have got in Kent, Aribo, Helander, Barisic, to make but four. The scouting team have done a decent job. They’ve earned a wee bit of trust.

That's not a sensible post on FF!!! Surely it wont catch on.

One of the comments from the Preston forums.

"The more I think about this the more gutted I am. I've been trying to think who we have in the squad that has the ability to split a defence with the killer ball the way he does. Gally and Pearo tend to ping them over the top but the only player I can think that has shown anything like that is Ledson and he is some way off.

Covered more ground than any player in the side last season, top scorer, assists galore and I even saw him head the ball once.

Gutted"

The defence splitting pass statement gets ma cock tingling. Couple that with the fact he puts in a shift as well, he should fit in nicely.

I was worried he would be lazy, he looks it. If yer man says he puts in the yards I'm getting whelmed. Might all be shite though.

It does - that's why we are drawn to it.

I live in Preston, keep my eye on them although I played professional for the 'enemy', which puts me in a knowledgeable position when making the comments I have made.
He is not Rangers material.
With respect bud, I’ve got to challenge this one.
An ex player doesn’t always know better than anybody else.
Experienced coaches and managers get it wrong.
Look at McCoist and Greig!

Sure he scored a screamer that was used in an advert.
Aye the volley in the play-offs I think?
He did score some very good goals for them but that’s why I won’t either write off or get too excited by any of Johnson’s videos. I’ll at least wait til after his first game to call him pish in the match thread!! :p

I live down here in Lancashire. I've asked a couple of people (Blackburn ST holders) who have seen a decent amount of him.

Consensus is generally that he's "decent" but would be no more than a squad player. Given they have huge delusions of grandeur, that doesn't bode well.

I live down here in Lancashire. I've asked a couple of people (Blackburn ST holders) who have seen a decent amount of him.

Consensus is generally that he's "decent" but would be no more than a squad player. Given they have huge delusions of grandeur, that doesn't bode well.

Sorry, but I don’t really trust the opinion of anyone whose club has this guy as their manager

portretProboscis_monkey_%28Nasalis_larvatus%29_male_head_0_0.jpg

I think I’ll go with Ross Wilson and Steven Gerrard’s opinion over Fred and Ronnie from row G in the Jack Walker stand :D

33 appearances, 12 goals, 6 from open play. Nearly a 1 in 5 record. If he can come up to Scotland and deliver a 1 in 3 record it's exactly what we are looking for.
You can say that about any player, 'if he comes and does this or that'.

Fact is discounting penalties his goals are one in five and a half games.

I'll give the guy every chance but the here and now stats aren't great or don't stand out

33 appearances, 12 goals, 6 from open play. Nearly a 1 in 5 record. If he can come up to Scotland and deliver a 1 in 3 record it's exactly what we are looking for.
Why do you think he would get one in 3? The overrating of what is a very poor division is strange. You only need to look at the numbers waghorn was hitting compared to the spl.

That is before considering the fact that he wouldn’t even be near to be good enough to be starting that many games for us in my opinion. He would be maybe our 5th best midfielder.

You can say that about any player, 'if he comes and does this or that'.

Fact is discounting penalties his goals are one in five and a half games.

I'll give the guy every chance but the here and now stats aren't great or don't stand out
Yeh I know. He could come up here and be a total flop. I discounted pens from my 1 in 5 stats

Yeh I know. He could come up here and be a total flop. I discounted pens from my 1 in 5 stats
1 in 5 discounting penalties is a great record for a midfielder, I don’t really know what more people expect, the same people clamouring over the Zungu who has 2 in 55 games

Why do you think he would get one in 3? The overrating of what is a very poor division is strange. You only need to look at the numbers waghorn was hitting compared to the spl.

That is before considering the fact that he wouldn’t even be near to be good enough to be starting that many games for us in my opinion. He would be maybe our 5th best midfielder.
Why not? It can go either way.

Go on the Preston forum. They are laughing at the quality of the SPFL. On here they are slating the championship. Whose right and whose wrong? Ultimately it comes down to individual players. For every Waghorn you have an Aribo.

Similarly to you asking how he could hit 1 in 3 games, how can you say this for absolute fact? Rather ironic eh

I think I’ll go with Ross Wilson and Steven Gerrard’s opinion over Fred and Ronnie from row G in the Jack Walker stand :D

Well let's hope so but you gotta admit we have signed some absolute bums in recent years. Hopefully this is one that surprises me as I am not sure he will add too much.

Is he the box to box midfielder we need?? Doesn't look like it.
Is he the attacking midfielder we have been craving?? Again I don't think he is of the required quality.
If he is coming in as backup I wouldn't want to be spending £2 million on him.
So what is his actual role?

You are always taking a punt either way - let's just hope this works out way better than I feel.

Been have a gander at the Preston forum, they seem to be raging at the fee they’ve accepted apparently.
This might seem naive but a lot can be said by the fans of a team of a player. Going by this forum, even, there is a general consensus about our players. If they rate him then there should be something in that.

For everyone saying the championship is shit, what are your thoughts on Balogun and Aribo? Theres also Windass and Waghorn.

Its almost as if it's best not to make a lady's front bottom of yourself and take each player as they come and not the league they are from...

Can’t not be excited by this, as the last player we signed from Preston, fly kicked Christmas tree‘s and his tune challenged for a Christmas number 1.

41 goals in 201 games for Preston is a superb record for a CM even including penalties - to put that into perspective kamara has scored 1 league goal for rangers, Ryan Jack has scored 8, Steve Davis MBE scored 18 the first time round and 0 this time and Scott airfield has 17.

Overall he alone is only 3 goals short of the total our CM (excluding aribo as I am assuming he will be panting further forward) have scored in their respective careers.

if you asked folk on here their opinions of the celtic squad they’d call half of their team pish. I think you’d be better off asking Preston fans.

41 goals in 201 games for Preston is a superb record for a CM even including penalties - to put that into perspective kamara has scored 1 league goal for Rangers, Ryan Jack has scored 8, Steve Davis MBE scored 18 the first time round and 0 this time and Scott airfield has 17.

Overall he alone is only 3 goals short of the total our CM (excluding aribo as I am assuming he will be panting further forward) have scored in their respective careers.

Davis scored against Porto.

Does that really mean anything when you see the amount of absolute shite spouted on here on a daily basis? I'm sure you could find two people on here who don't rate Kent/Morelos/Barisic.

41 goals in 201 games for Preston is a superb record for a CM even including penalties - to put that into perspective kamara has scored 1 league goal for Rangers, Ryan Jack has scored 8, Steve Davis MBE scored 18 the first time round and 0 this time and Scott airfield has 17.

I agree with you re his goals and overall it's a very well made point. One question though. Which word did you mean to type in the sentence "excluding Aribo as I am assuming he will be panting further forward"? Assuming played or playing but can't work out how it autocorrects to panting if you did, lol.

A useful left footed midfield player, and by the looks of it to replace Aribo in the starting line up?
We are still missing that box to box midfielder and enforcer, although it looks like Gerrard does not believe in the latter?

Does that really mean anything when you see the amount of absolute shite spouted on here on a daily basis? I'm sure you could find two people on here who don't rate Kent/Morelos/Barisic.
Exactly. I never understand how much credence some give to the opinion of a self-selecting group of fans on other forums. We see on here every day that some folk (who may be really good fans) know very little about the game or at least see things very differently from our coaching team. Why would any other forum be any different?

I fail to see why people are moaning at the guys stats. The championship is 46 games but he only played 33 games from what I have read? 12 goals and 8 assists in 33 games in the championship seems decent enough to me, especially in a side like Preston

A useful left footed midfield player, and by the looks of it to replace Aribo in the starting line up?
We are still missing that box to box midfielder and enforcer, although it looks like Gerrard does not believe in the latter?
The idea that we are lacking midfielders with dig prepared for a battle is one That’s really starting to frustrate me, the issue isn’t that we are overrun in midfield, far from it. Midfielders with dig who can win the ball back etc are needed when you are playing low possession football Etc. We are lacking midfielders that can take the ball and drive forward into attacking areas, chip in with goals and create, that is something that Johnson is. In short we don’t require physical players, we require technical players. This is Gerrards Rangers and we play a completely different style to what many of us have grown up watching.

His numbers in a bang average Preston team are very impressive for a guy that played deep aswell as a 10.

He is creative and likes a shot and at this moment in time will be replacing Brandon Barker and we are complaining ?

I wonder why?

Latest posts

Back