Daniel Johnson of Preston

There's no doubt he's been probably North Ends best player over the last 18 months so whenever you lose your best player disappointment is understandable.

As a North End fan this is just 1 of many problems at the Club at the minute though so there are a lot of unhappy people on the forum.

His goals have been vital for North End as the strikers at the Club are less than prolific. I can't see him getting at the head of the queue for free kicks / penalties when he comes up the road though.

I think he’ll definitely get the penalties given our ridiculously shit record on them!

He seems to be a number 10 type.

By my reckoning we already have.

Aribo
Hagi
Kent
Arfield
Roofe
Itten
Stewart
Barker
And now Johnson

All competing for 2/3 spots.

Great to have options but I would have thought we would be after another 6/8 type style midfielder before another 10.

Itten & Roofe will be played as the 9 in our front 3.

Stewart is miles off what is required and should be let go if anyone comes in for him.
Barker whilst he has started the season well, isn't currently at the level of quality we need for a title winning side.
Arfield should be a back-up option like he has been playing.

This leaves Aribo, Hagi & Kent, so having options is helpful none more so when you consider our current injury situation.

Always got to laugh the amount of people who pass judgement on a signing based on what some folk say on fans forums, the YouTube highlight reel or the most basic stats.

In saying that, I can almost certainly guarantee he will be a better option than Barker

I may be daft, but I think that we already have a very good midfield, with good quality and good options. We are looking after the ball much better than in previous seasons under SG and are controlling games superbly. We are regaining possession quickly when we lose it and creating plenty of chances. Best of all, we are improving with every game. All that’s missing is a bit of depth in the attacking creative third of the unit.

Always got to laugh the amount of people who pass judgement on a signing based on what some folk say on fans forums, the YouTube highlight reel or the most basic stats.

In saying that, I can almost certainly guarantee he will be a better option than Barker

Hiy, don’t let that get in the way of a good moan but eh. Too many folk missing there 2 weekly moan session at Ibrox.

Looks decent on paper but never seen him play so will reserve judgment.

Thread is mental, It’s went from folk wanting Dykes with 9 goals to not wanting a championship midfielder with 12 goals.

Call me an out of touch old fashioned Rangers Da doing to wait until I see the boy in Rangers shirt playing for us before I judge him. Might even give him a number of games to settle before I make a final judgement. Crazy out of touch thinking, I know.

there is no place for this sort of level heading thinking. You’ll never last here.

Get him judged purely based on his name, how baggy his shorts are or the length of his shoelaces of GTF

We have pace in abundance? Does abundance mean Ryan Kent and Brandon Barker?
Tavernier and Barisic are no slouches... we have plenty of pace when and where we require it. That's not our issue, our issue is 70-80% of the time we face at least 10 men behind the ball from their 30 yard line. If Daniels comes and helps provide an answer to that problem then great.

Tavernier and Barisic are no slouches... we have plenty of pace when and where we require it. That's not our issue, our issue is 70-80% of the time we face at least 10 men behind the ball from their 30 yard line. If Daniels comes and helps provide an answer to that problem then great.

paul daniels? Through ball....just like that....

Call me an out of touch old fashioned Rangers Da doing to wait until I see the boy in Rangers shirt playing for us before I judge him. Might even give him a number of games to settle before I make a final judgement. Crazy out of touch thinking, I know.
Call the priory we have a mad one here!!! Imagine wanting to give a new player at least a couple games before judging him, dont you know that YouTube videos are the bee all and end all?! .........

If we were selling Barker to Preston and their fans came on here looking for insight, they'd be pretty much guaranteed to leave feeling disappointed.
If we were selling Arfield to them, they'd take a butchers and leave thinking they'd were landing a decent player.
I think the fans forum and general consensus holds some water. If the fans are generally gutted about a player leaving, there must be a player there.

There's alot of PNE fans who, like me, follow Rangers, and many who just hate Celtic
Nearest accommodation we could get for Manchester was the Holiday Inn in Preston, we dropped the car there and walked to the station for a train to Piccadilly and people we passed in the street were wishing us well in the Final.
I thought “hmmm there’s more to this place than Mark Lawrenson”.

If we were selling Barker to Preston and their fans came on here looking for insight, they'd be pretty much guaranteed to leave feeling disappointed.
If we were selling Arfield to them, they'd take a butchers and leave thinking they'd were landing a decent player.
I think the fans forum and general consensus holds some water. If the fans are generally gutted about a player leaving, there must be a player there.

Well Preston have had Barker and needless to say, he wasn’t flavour of the month there either.

Agree. He looks so out of place. He’s a sub at best

To be honest if we have aspirations of winning the league this season which of course we do then players of Barkers inconsistency shouldn’t be in our squad, there is no point raving about the guy when he plays well for one game in every 5, league titles are won by your core group of players being an 8/10 week in week out.

Well Preston have had Barker and needless to say, he wasn’t flavour of the month there either.
Yes, I'm talking if they were taking a player, and came looking for opinion. I just used Barker as an example of a player whom would pretty unanimously not get a glowing reference.

This is why he's been signed IMO.

You seem to be the one person on this board who is genuinely in the know as to what he can offer us and it’s interesting your feelings seem to be that he doesn’t really improve our starting XI.

On face value, and I’ll stress I’d never heard of him until now, that’s the impression I’m getting too.

A guy who’ll be 28 next month that’s never played top flight football?

I’ve been of the opinion since last summer that the midfielder we lack, i.e. one that helps transform us into genuine champions elect, needs to be a really big signing, quite probably the best player at the club and one that may cost us a fair bit of money.

So it looks to me like we’re operating with two scenarios relating to Morelos - sell him, we go after A, B and C; keep him, the options are X, Y and Z.

I suspect Johnson falls into the latter category.

To be honest if we have aspirations of winning the league this season which of course we do then players of Barkers inconsistency shouldn’t be in our squad, there is no point raving about the guy when he plays well for one game in every 5, league titles are won by your core group of players being an 8/10 week in week out.
I think that's a good point. Can we upgrade on Barker?
A player whom right now we seem to need to start.

I think that's a good point. Can we upgrade on Barker?
A player whom right now we seem to need to start.

In my humble opinion we could upgrade on Barker relatively comfortably if our scouting department is doing its job, I would however say that we really need to shift a few players, Jones, Barker, Stewart before we have a chance to make that happen.

You seem to be the one person on this board who is genuinely in the know as to what he can offer us and it’s interesting your feelings seem to be that he doesn’t really improve our starting XI.

On face value, and I’ll stress I’d never heard of him until now, that’s the impression I’m getting too.

A guy who’ll be 28 next month that’s never played top flight football?

I’ve been of the opinion since last summer that the midfielder we lack, i.e. one that helps transform us into genuine champions elect, needs to be a really big signing, quite probably the best player at the club and one that may cost us a fair bit of money.

So it looks to me like we’re operating with two scenarios relating to Morelos - sell him, we go after A, B and C; keep him, the options are X, Y and Z.

I suspect Johnson falls into the latter category.
One person's opinion though isn't necessarily the reality. I suspect we need a player with certain attributes, eg an ability to score from 18-20 yards. Something we badly lack. Maybe we are specifically going after key attributes within a very limited budget. I have no clue about the player, never heard of him till i read his name a few days ago. So the poster who doubts his value add could be right. He could also be wrong though.

In my humble opinion we could upgrade on Barker relatively comfortably if our scouting department is doing its job, I would however say that we really need to shift a few players, Jones, Barker, Stewart before we have a chance to make that happen.
So maybe this guy could be that upgrade?
I don't know but it's not a stretch of the imagination that he could easily be an upgrade on Barker. Keep in mind the role Barker is playing in the team. It's not like he's playing as an out and out winger.

So maybe this guy could be that upgrade?
I don't know but it's not a stretch of the imagination that he could easily be an upgrade on Barker. Keep in mind the role Barker is playing in the team. It's not like he's playing as an out and out winger.

Johnson is definitely not a winger so I don’t see him being a like for like, I think we need a consistent player with pace to play on the right of that front three.

Johnson is definitely not a winger so I don’t see him being a like for like, I think we need a consistent player with pace to play on the right of that front three.
So he could be a direct replacement for Barker ( who is not playing in a winger role, he seems to float around and try and connect midfield to attack) maybe Johnson can do the same role and bring a goal threat?

I'm just a grump full stop mate :))

I think reaction was the same & probably worse on the North End forum when Joe Garner came up the road & look how that turned out.................
Joe garner was a local lad and a had who had been with them all his career.
Think that was the main reason they were gutted

So he could be a direct replacement for Barker ( who is not playing in a winger role, he seems to float around and try and connect midfield to attack) maybe Johnson can do the same role and bring a goal threat?

Daniel Johnson in terms of talent is definitely an upgrade on Barker.

I
Stark truth of it.

Back