Daniel Johnson of Preston

It
Johnson is definitely not a winger so I don’t see him being a like for like, I think we need a consistent player with pace to play on the right of that front three.

I don’t think we want to play that rigidly mate. Looks to me like Gerrard wants players - like Kent - who are capable of playing in a much more fluid system. Capable of rotating and moving intelligently across a front 3 or 4. Aribo, Kent, Roofe all fit that profile, and he has tried to deploy Barker to that effect.

There's no doubt he's been probably North Ends best player over the last 18 months so whenever you lose your best player disappointment is understandable.

As a North End fan this is just 1 of many problems at the Club at the minute though so there are a lot of unhappy people on the forum.

His goals have been vital for North End as the strikers at the Club are less than prolific. I can't see him getting at the head of the queue for free kicks / penalties when he comes up the road though.
He can definitely take the pens for us :))

What was Jack's injury yesterday - calf?

Did someone not mention post match that he's had issues with his calf. That and his long standing knee issue?

I think the calf injuries Jack has been picking up have came from his original knee injury picked up against Motherwell in 2017.
What you on about, can't think of anyone missing a penalty in 2020!!..................we've not been awarded any (that I can recall).

Hagi missed against Braga and Arfield missed 1 against Hamilton

You seem to be the one person on this board who is genuinely in the know as to what he can offer us and it’s interesting your feelings seem to be that he doesn’t really improve our starting XI.

On face value, and I’ll stress I’d never heard of him until now, that’s the impression I’m getting too.

A guy who’ll be 28 next month that’s never played top flight football?

I’ve been of the opinion since last summer that the midfielder we lack, i.e. one that helps transform us into genuine champions elect, needs to be a really big signing, quite probably the best player at the club and one that may cost us a fair bit of money.

So it looks to me like we’re operating with two scenarios relating to Morelos - sell him, we go after A, B and C; keep him, the options are X, Y and Z.

I suspect Johnson falls into the latter category.

I wouldn't say I'm ITK mate but I've obviously seen him a lot more than the majority of folk on here so I'm just trying to offer an insight but clearly it's all IMO.

Time will tell as always.

Call me an out of touch old fashioned Rangers Da but, going to wait until I see the boy in a Rangers shirt playing for us before I judge him. Might even give him a number of games to settle before I make a final judgement. Crazy out of touch thinking, I know.
Jeezo mate what a mad post!

Don't see what giving a player a chance or even a run of games does? Get him judged before he even signs!

Looks like that's the follow follow way!

So maybe this guy could be that upgrade?
I don't know but it's not a stretch of the imagination that he could easily be an upgrade on Barker. Keep in mind the role Barker is playing in the team. It's not like he's playing as an out and out winger.

DJ is a better player than Barker but not really a fair comparison as they are 2 different players completely.

I saw Barker when he was at North End & I thought he was sh*te then & TBH not seen much to change my mind.

Joe garner was a local lad and a had who had been with them all his career.
Think that was the main reason they were gutted

He's a big North End fan but he'd not been at the Club all his career.

Then scenario was still the same though as he was the talisman & probably the best player.

You seem to be the one person on this board who is genuinely in the know as to what he can offer us and it’s interesting your feelings seem to be that he doesn’t really improve our starting XI.

On face value, and I’ll stress I’d never heard of him until now, that’s the impression I’m getting too.

A guy who’ll be 28 next month that’s never played top flight football?

I’ve been of the opinion since last summer that the midfielder we lack, i.e. one that helps transform us into genuine champions elect, needs to be a really big signing, quite probably the best player at the club and one that may cost us a fair bit of money.

So it looks to me like we’re operating with two scenarios relating to Morelos - sell him, we go after A, B and C; keep him, the options are X, Y and Z.

I suspect Johnson falls into the latter category.
Agree with most of your post however re the 'top flight' football bit, let's be honest about the standard of our league. He should cruise it. I see PNE on their forum comparing domestic leagues. What we have got to remember is that it's a big step up from both these domestic leagues to the Europa which is also our level. Don't know if I can visualise us improving on/maintaining our recent efforts with this sort of player.

Everything sounds positive here. The type of
Player we have been needing. A guy who has the ability to score from 25 yards out will add a whole new dimension to our attack.

Opposition defences will no longer be able to simply sit back and play the low block - they’ll have to have players coming out and closing him down, creating more space for rest of our Attack.

The guy ITK on the North End forum has now said his info isn't accurate & there is deal between the Clubs as yet.

Johnson wouldn’t be played in Barker’s position, Preston seem to play him a little deeper. And he doesn’t seem to have the pace or dribbling ability to play there anyway. I think he would be competing with Jack and Kamara.

Agree with most of your post however re the 'top flight' football bit, let's be honest about the standard of our league. He should cruise it. I see PNE on their forum comparing domestic leagues. What we have got to remember is that it's a big step up from both these domestic leagues to the Europa which is also our level. Don't know if I can visualise us improving on/maintaining our recent efforts with this sort of player.
We need to buy for all levels, its clear that we need to play differently domestically and abroad, one of Gerrard's flaws (hate saying that as I love him) is that he wasn't very flexible. He seen us outplay the likes of Porto at times and thought if we do that against x, y, and z then that'll be good enough but he genuinely seems to have learned we need variety for all occasions. Daniel could prove to be a key player against the usual park-the-bus-merchants we face... if that means guys like Aribo or Hagi replace him when in Europe or certain other games then that's a great option to have

Why should he cruise it here? We haven't cruised it in this league in years.

In my humble opinion we could upgrade on Barker relatively comfortably if our scouting department is doing its job, I would however say that we really need to shift a few players, Jones, Barker, Stewart before we have a chance to make that happen.
Barker won't be the first player to have been coached to play better; that thing that clubs actually employ coaches to do. He has not been our worst player this season, and the criticism of him is mainly from last season. If he was a new signing people may be fairer to him.

From all the clips I can see that the boy can pick a pass and chip in with a goal etc but don’t think I’ve seen him make a tackle.

Would be an interesting signing if it happens I think.

Shrewd from the management team. I think the plan is
rather than splashing on one who can produce 'thread through a needle' passes when teams sit in deep, we could now have this guy central, Kent left and Hagi right who can all hit a good, clean strike from distance which will force teams to come out.

I don't think Barker is a terrible player but he isn't what we need if we are serious about winning things.

It's not about denigrating the boy, it's about honesty.
It's a pretty poor line though that isn't even remotely true.

Steven Gerrard never won a Premier League title.
Luke Chadwick did.

Latest posts

Back