What Have We Got?

DunantBlue

Lots of negative vibes on here in recent days, so I thought it might be worth a wee bit of the other.

I think we unarguably have the following in our first team squad.

Best keeper in the league (possibly best two keepers in the league)

Best left back in the league

Best right back in the league

Best centre back in the league (arguably
two best centre backs in the league)

Best wide attacking player in the league.

The best all round footballer in the league on current form.

Am I overstating it or am I missing anything here.

Maybe an upgrade in centre mid, on our right flank and at centre forward away from being a really good side?

Someone said on another thread if we can win something we can run riot.....I agree but until then we can never be either complacent or go on about “the best” of anything.
Start all over again on Sunday and prove we are the best every week.

Truth but. Time this team with all of these advantages in OP delivered domestically. Can't fault Europe under Gerrard.

What the OP states is, at this moment in time, correct though. If we can still say the same about our players come May then we will be Champions. The endless desire on FF to just drain any positivity whatsoever out of anything at all is f*cking maddening (that's not a go at you mate just a general observation on how low this messageboard has sunk in the last few months).

Last edited:
Zero return.

I don't mean to be negative or take away from your point but being the best team on paper wins %^*& all.
I agree pal.

Fewer excuses this season than at any stage since our return to the top flight.

I think there remain two qualitative differences / gapS between us and that other mhob.

The first one May be the comparative depth In quality - and the options that gives their manager at key times in games.

The second is a better balance, variety and mix in midfield (including in depth). They just have more and better quality options in that department.

The feeling this time last year was that we were still a couple of players - a midfielder and wide attacker - away from looking like a title winning side.

At this point in time, I think that’s still the case.

We’ve always been a good footballing side under Gerrard and we see that every season in Europe against sides that actually try to make a game of it, but he still doesn’t seem to be willing to adopt a different strategy in the SPFL against more cynical defensive opponents and that continues to be a problem.

Motherwell away should be an easier game than last night, but it probably won’t be.

Best footballing side, most honest, fittest, creative (in terms of chance created?).

I'd say we've got good discipline given the way our players are treated by referees and opposing players in Scotland.

We are 2/3 quality additions from being a very good side. Midfield needs upgraded IMO. We lose Morelos and he needs replaced.

That's all domestically. In Europe we are different gravy and above additions would take us up a notch.

Time to deliver a trophy and the league title.

Bayern, the best team in Europe, could play in this league and still drop points for the same primary reason we do: bent referees.

We will drop more points this season through bent referees than our own abilities and performances on the football pitch - we had a 4 point swing this weekend due to referees alone.

I agree for about the better players means absolutely diddly if they haven't the mentality to win the league. Time will tell.

Lots of negative vibes on here in recent days, so I thought it might be worth a wee bit of the other.

Maybe an upgrade in centre mid, on our right flank and at centre forward away from being a really good side?
Centre forward ? Morelos ? Best in the league

We see this every season. Even under Pedro, most people on here had 7 or 8 Rangers players in their League Best 11.

We’re a tad biased, and it’s a squad game.

Before getting carried away, look at our bench last night.

We see this every season. Even under Pedro, most people on here had 7 or 8 Rangers players in their League Best 11.

We’re a tad biased, and it’s a squad game.

Before getting carried away, look at our bench last night.
Under Pedro? Anyone that thought that needed their head checked.

Youll see in the thread that I talk about the issue of depth - particularly in comparison to that mhob.

They have better quality in the wide and front positions in terms of depth

I think we are a better first 11 overall however squads win championships

they also get all big decisions go in their favour worth 6-12 points a season

there flair players get protected ours get booted up down the park week in week out

these are the differences for me

They have better quality in the wide and front positions in terms of depth

I think we are a better first 11 overall however squads win championships

they also get all big decisions go in their favour worth 6-12 points a season

there flair players get protected ours get booted up down the park week in week out

these are the differences for me
Agree with all of that mate.

If someone comes in with an offer over 20 million, I think he'll be off.
With a week left of the transfer window ? Possibly no time for a replacement ? I doubt it now , if Gerrard though he was away he wouldn’t be risking him getting injured , i think he’s been told to knuckle down and earn his move in January ,

Rangers teams aren't judged on winning matches.

They are judged on winning trophies and this team needs to start to deliver.
Up until this season the gap has just been too big over the course of a season.

Less so this season? But legit questions remain over mentality, and relative squad quality in depth. That plus reasonable suspicions over officiating.

Can't argue with anything in the OP. However ........... and there's always a 'but':rolleyes:, is our mentality in the SPL and I'll include the manager in this now because his demeanour in Europe is much more involved and supportive than that in the league. We're a very decent football team but that's not enough here and I'm sceptical until we show we can give it as well as take it.
Sunday at Fir Park is a good place to start.

You are giving our players titles, the only titles that matter to me are the ones that will have a place in our history books/trophy room come the end of the season.

I think we've shown enough in Europe and OF games in the last 2 years to prove we're more than a match, but pure and simply they need to go and show it over the course.

Most negative 'fans' in the world?

We might have won 4-0 against a decent Dutch team in their own gaff, but the keeper had a save to make, they hit the bar, Hagi misplaced a pass, they're shite anyway, we'll get pumped by galatasaray, I wank dugs, never a captain.

Up until this season the gap has just been too big over the course of a season.

Less so this season? But legit questions remain over mentality, and relative squad quality in depth. That plus reasonable suspicions over officiating.

I think we don't have the strength in depth over the season.

I was very hopeful last season at the start of the calendar year but unfortunately we don't have a big enough squad and the manager doesn't appear to trust enough of the squad to start them against the bottom six sides.

Hopefully the team prove me wrong this season.

We are tantalisingly close to being good enough to win our domestic league.

I think we are a couple of quality additions short but that's not to say, even with the current squad, that it can't be done.

Mentality will play a part as will luck with injuries.

What we are crying out for is a player who can get us from our box to their box at a rate of knots.

Our build up is pedestrian and too much of our football is played across the park which playa right into our opponents hands. There was an incident last night where we had an attacking position on the left of their box and ended up working the ball back to McGregor. That might be acceptable when we're clinging on to 1-0 but not when we are sitting on a 4 goal cushion.

What has improved this season is the willingness to shoot more often from distance. I think we've gained from that. But we still need a body that can penetrate the 11 men defence tactic.

I think we are a gnats pube from being an excellent team but we need to start embarrassing the dross when we play them.

I agree just need to have the bottle this year and I remember when people would say how many Rangers players would get in the manky mobs team not now how many of their lot would get in ours id say 1

We're looking brilliant just now and I have every hope of silverware this season.

I hate to hit you with them negative waves, but we didn’t look so brilliant last Sunday.

This is our problem - great in Europe, not so domestically.

I’m still not convinced the one size fits all approach Gerrard favours is going to bring the silverware we want.

Under Pedro? Anyone that thought that needed their head checked.

Youll see in the thread that I talk about the issue of depth - particularly in comparison to that mhob.
McGregor, Bassey, Balogan, davis, arfield, hagi, defoe is our bench when everyone is fit. Itten, stewart, barker, edmondson, jones etc below the 18. Who from their perceived greater depth of replacements gets on our bench? Not saying you're wrong but I'd argue our backup is already stronger with more to come in.

that's all well and good, but we still dropped 4 points that we should not have, and that is the pisser, I think fans know the standard we are at, at this moment by in large

Back