368 total passes to Benficas 401
Average pass streak of 4
Pass success as a team was 80%
They hit 17 crosses to Benficas 11
68 long balls
287 short passes
Possession 47.6%
The were dispossessed or the ball was turned over 27 times

They haven't kept a clean sheet in 5 games.

I love the Europa league just now because I genuinely do not care if we win or lose. I go into the games with a completely relaxed attitude and the only thing I am really bothered about is not picking up injuries. Right up until about the time the team is named when that changes and I am desperate for 2008 again.

We have a right good chance at 6 points from 6 and we need to take it!

I love the Europa league just now because I genuinely do not care if we win or lose. I go into the games with a completely relaxed attitude and the only thing I am really bothered about is not picking up injuries. Right up until about the time the team is named when that changes and I am desperate for 2008 again.

Exactly how I feel, league is 100% more important and for once I’m just relaxed and enjoy europe

Strange that you can say you dont care if we win or lose, strange mentality no matter the competition.

Europe is what's keeping Rangers away from financial hardship because of covid, if stadiums are still locked down next season we will not have 47k season ticket holders paying for another season if not attending.

Europe is massive.

500k for a win on Thursday not to mention the sort of calibre of player we can attract if we keep winning, confidence high, keeping the buzz going, coefficiency ect ect. Massive.

Last edited:
A lot of their attacks come from wide areas which means that we need to be careful especially since both full backs bomb forward. Also means there should be plenty of chances.

If our wing play mitigates their wide attacks then they will need to try and play through us, giving us a great advantage.

Like the other post above says, I'm relaxed about the EL games too and would use it to give some time to players like Aribo, Roffe and Itten.

They gave Benfica a very tough game. It was only in the 60th minute that Benfica went 2-3 ahead and their 4th goal came in injury time. Lech Poznan were right in it up until that point.

Too many on here dismissing them. We shouldn't fear them, our recent record shows that, but this will be far from a stroll-in-the-park. Tough, tough game I reckon. Lech will see our win in Liege as giving them the chance to challenge us for qualification.

Be nice if they came out and opened up but despite the stats I cannot see it. They will want to avoid defeat to stay in contention

I'm kinda the same. The important bit was getting to the group stage. I'd love to qualify but the important bit is done IMO.

Really fancy us in this game though.

That radar guy Stewart on Twitter was looking at them last night, from what cryptic stuff he was posting it looks like they are an all out attacking team and a bit suspect at the back.

Expect an entertaining game.

Strange that you can say you dont care if we win or lose, strange mentality no matter the competition.

Europe is what's keeping Rangers away from financial hardship because of covid, if stadiums are still locked down next season we will not have 47k season ticket holders paying for another season if not attending.

Europe is massive.

500k for a win on Thursday not to mention the sort of calibre if player we can attract of we keep winning, confidence high, keeping the buzz going, coefficiency ect ect. Massive.
Your looking at his comment too directly because I'm of the same opinion. It's not that I don't want us to win, but it's the bottom of my worries match wise. The be all and end all is the league, we want to win it. We want to win both domestic cups. If thsle squad performs at the level it can, we can win it. Its less likely we will win the europa, massively less. I want us to give a great account of ourselves, delighted if we win but I won't lose sleep if we don't, it's still currently like a luxury extra.

Europe is massive.

500k for a win on Thursday not to mention the sort of calibre if player we can attract of we keep winning, confidence high, keeping the buzz going, coefficiency ect ect. Massive.
Never underestimate the loyalty of the Rangers fan.
Not winning 55 might affect numbers(slightly). COVID won’t.
Most of us knew there was a fair chance we’d not get into Ibrox this season. Next season will be no different.
Folk don’t want to lose their ST and folk don’t want to lose their particular seat.

I’ll be renewing and if you held a poll I’m sure the majority still would.

Last edited:
They’re all out attack, a bit gung ho and horrible at the back going by what I’ve seen on Twitter.

That suits us perfect.

Never underestimate the loyalty of the Rangers fan.
Not winning 55 might affect numbers(slightly). COVID won’t.
Most of us knew there was a fair chance we’d not get into Ibrox this season. Next season will be no different.
Folk don’t don’t want to lose their ST and folk don’t want to lose their particular seat.

I’ll be renewing and if you held a poll I’m sure the majority still would.

I'm not underestimating but in the current climate i cant see another 47k paying another £600 (average) for anothe season of nothing. Alot would have done it this season as we thought there was a chance we could be back after xmas.

I may be wrong but if we are still well locked out the stadiums I dont think 47k would renew again probably about 35k would. Just my opinion.

Their average player positions against Benfica.

In our game against Standard we had Jack sitting just a bit in front of 2 cbs. They seem to play higher up and going by Football Stewarts stills leaves them exposed.

I think they will look for a draw, knowing we play Benfica twice and they have Liege. They will expect 6 pts from them, and us to lose, leaving them v us to qualify in 2nd.
Where as I expect us to win v Lech and Benfica at home and a draw away, leaving Lech and Benfica to scrap for 2nd.
I am going by our previous meetings of Portuguese teams over the last two campaigns, fairly confident we have their number within our style of play.
Mon the Teddy Bears.

Now we're in the early part of the groups I am far more relaxed. I think folk here are pretty sensible in their reasoning - we all know the EL is hugely important but in terms of fans' immediate concerns I think we're all thinking of Sunday because in a strange way it represents a bigger test of where we are.

At this point in terms of European football we can enjoy watching Rangers play because of the setup and team discipline. We can all expect Rangers to put in a good performance and expect a win because that is the standard that has been set.

Away from home on a plastic pitch against a team that have already restricted the filth. I would say Kilmarnock's achievement in that draw is better than Aberdeen's because at the time the filth's confidence was high and they were regularly scoring magnificent worldie free kicks the likes of which no football fan has ever seen in their entire life...

Sorry, went on a ramble. Point in hand, Kilmarnock away is a bigger test so though we are not understating the importance of Europe and Thursday we all know which team we'd rather pummel in order to send a message.

Believe there’s a pod coming out later on from HandH with a Poznan fan as guest. Basically saying they only know one way to play, attack. And they can’t really keep the goals out.

I reckon we will have pace going at them. Barker to start

Believe there’s a pod coming out later on from HandH with a Poznan fan as guest. Basically saying they only know one way to play, attack. And they can’t really keep the goals out.

I reckon we will have pace going at them. Barker to start

Enjoyed the chat with The Belgium @Greg Marshall last week. Wonder if his job is a bit easier...

Must win for me. We got lucky with a nice easy group and if we can get 6 points from the first two games it means very little pressure for the Benfica double header.

Watched their game the other night on free sport they rested a few players and drew 1-1. Probably their best player is the no 15 their playmaker we have to look after him. They have a couple of big guys up front not technically gifted but get themselves about. The left back likes to bomb forward should leave gaps for Tav. They don't look like a defensive team and like to attack.

Play Roofe and Morelos in this one (if Roofe is in our Euro squad) as Poznan will probably have 2 men on near him after his Liege goal! Roofe could also draw players out and away leaving Morelos more space. I have a feeling that Morelos will find his goal-scoring form in Europe. He has to, it's the shop window if he wants the big money move in future transfers.

Their 2nd goal last week was a really good move saw the goals after the highlights of ours on BT. Had a really harsh penalty given against them that got Benfica into the game through the daft handball rule. If they're an attacking side it really plays into our hands like evey European game it will be tough but we're at home so no reason for us not to take the 3 points.

I felt the same against Liège briefly at the start.

But know the importance of momentum I therefore really wanted us to win and by the end I was kicking every ball.

European football is essential for a club of our standing.
The gaffer has done an unbelievable job at this level.
Just a pity we cannot attend ,as they are brilliant nights.

Agree mate we don't get the credit we deserve in Europe imo, another terrific achievement getting to the group stage, single handedly getting the co efficient up as well.

I'll start by saying I feel more confident of our European form - than I have in ages

I've gone from hoping we avoid an embarrassing defeat - to - we can get a result against the majority of opponents at this stage

But just like us - some lesser teams seem to punch above their weight in Europe - while other more fancied sides are always capable of slipping up

I see Lech Poznan as a side who are capable of punching above their weight & sounds like they did that for the best part of their match against Benfica -
They were probably a bit unlucky not to take a point if I understand correctly?
Consequently I'll bet they'll be a handful when we meet them

As for Benfica - I can't argue with their stats, their obvious quality, or their pedigree - but somehow I still fancy us to steal a point or two from them

It probably doesn't make sense but I can see us having more trouble with the Poles than the Portuguese

Europe is massive.

Strange that you did not read the whole post...

Some numbers from their game against Benfica

36% of attacks came from left
24% of attacks from Middle
40% of attacks from the right

11% of shots in 6 yard box
42% of shots in 18 yard box
47% of shots outside area

19 attempts on goal
11 coming from open play
7 from set pieces
1 on the counter
9 on target
5 off target
5 blocked

368 total passes to Benficas 401
Average pass streak of 4
Pass success as a team was 80%
They hit 17 crosses to Benficas 11
68 long balls
287 short passes
Possession 47.6%
The were dispossessed or the ball was turned over 27 times

They haven't kept a clean sheet in 5 games.
Watched the highlights and this game could have ended up 5-5.
If we are on it we will defo win, its not a banker though.

Shouldn’t underestimate them on Thursday. Hope that Benfica play so open against us but doubt it. If they do we can pick them off on the break it seems.

Shouldn’t underestimate them on Thursday. Hope that Benfica play so open against us but doubt it. If they do we can pick them off on the break it seems.

Benfica will 100% attack us, their fans expectation is to win this group at a canter.

I reckon we can punish them defensively, and I trust our defence enough that I don’t think we will concede. On the break the likes of kent, roofe/Morelos(what ever one plays) and maybe hagi or aribo should be able to punish them. I reckon we will see a front 3 of Kent, roofe and aribo for this. Aribos ability to carry the ball on the counter is very important.

That radar guy Stewart on Twitter was looking at them last night, from what cryptic stuff he was posting it looks like they are an all out attacking team and a bit suspect at the back.

Expect an entertaining game.

Had to unfollow him. Posting photos of stuff with daft comments like 'Confident' or 'Strategy' or some nonsense like that. Just bloody say what its meant to represent instead of the cryptic stuff.

Had to unfollow him. Posting photos of stuff with daft comments like 'Confident' or 'Strategy' or some nonsense like that. Just bloody say what its meant to represent instead of the cryptic stuff.

Its because he posts his actual analysis on patreon, everything on twitter is just teasers. Id recommend his patreon tbh, hes normally solid and accurate

They deserve to be respected, which I'm sure they will get, without fear.

Just think of them this way, how many teams in Scotland would score 2 goals against benfica ?

Their average player positions against Benfica.

In our game against Standard we had Jack sitting just a bit in front of 2 cbs. They seem to play higher up and going by Football Stewarts stills leaves them exposed.

Judging by that I am sticking a tenner on Arfield first scorer. Looks like there will be plenty of space for him to run into.

Despite the papers trying to put pressure on us showing the value of their team etc compared to ours, this is not going to be an easy game. I suspect they will be technically quite good, they appear to be quite an attacking team going by their shots on goal against Benfica and corners.

However what we do best is counter attack with pace and their defence does not look great so we should chances, we should score. Its really about keeping them out at the other end and remaining solid like we have done most of this season.

Play Roofe and Morelos in this one (if Roofe is in our Euro squad) as Poznan will probably have 2 men on near him after his Liege goal! Roofe could also draw players out and away leaving Morelos more space. I have a feeling that Morelos will find his goal-scoring form in Europe. He has to, it's the shop window if he wants the big money move in future transfers.

If Roofe is in our Euro squad?

Were you asleep last Thursday night during injury time mate?

Back