Nikica Jelavic on the Rangers joke that changed everything as he dismisses 'bull***t' transfer claim

BlueMeanie

Nikica Jelavic was a major hit at Rangers, but the Croatian striker has revealed the move began as a joke between him and Sasa Papac.

Jelavic was brought to Ibrox from Rapid Vienna for £4m by Walter Smith in 2010, and would go on to score 36 goals in 56 games for the club.

He left for Everton in 2012 having won a Scottish Premier League title and League Cup, and remains a popular figure among Rangers supporters.

Jelavic told The Athletic that his move to Glasgow began with a joke between him and Bosnian left-back Papac.

He said: “It started as a joke. Sasa Papac said, ‘We need a striker’, so I told him to get the club to watch me.

0_GP26010385.jpg

(Image: SNS Group)
"He told someone at the club as a joke, but they watched the game against Celtic (Rapid Vienna's 3-3 Europa League draw with Tony Mowbray's side in December 2009).

"I scored two goals and had a great game so they kept on following me and that’s how the contact happened.”

Jelavic takes issue with Rapid president Rudolf Edlinger's claim that he was only allowed to leave the club because he refused to play.

He said: “How could I do that if they didn’t want to sell me? I don’t want to go back and blame someone or play this trash talk, but if the club aren’t ready to let you go you cannot argue with them.

“If you refuse to play a game then they will put you aside, fine you and not sell you at all, so this story is bull***t. I refuse to allow the president back then to steal all my good memories from the two years I had there.”

Probably my favourite modern day Rangers striker he had an excellent all around game and was a great finisher.

A hell of a player - definitely one of the best foreign strikers we've had (although have to say he's just pipped by big mad Prso as my favourite Croatian gers hitman).

A shame we only got the 2 seasons out of him before he moved on but 36 goals in 56 games was a more than decent return, especially when a fair few of them were worldies.

Hated that wee bastard for that and was apoplectic when we signed the useless waste of space.

Jelavic? Have I missed something here? Definitely wouldn’t say he was a waste of space!

Genuine question btw, not trying to sound like a smartarse.

I'm sure he put the manky mob out of Europe with his goals for Rapid prior to signing for us too. Always a good thing to have on your CV when Walter Smiith is doing the hiring.

Great player for us but unfortunately all my memories are over-shadowed by the abomination of a Cold Play song that someone cobbled together on here in his honour! I still shudder now thinking about it.

My lasting memory of Jelavic is scoring in both 1-0 games at Hamilton and Aberdeen in the same week. We'd been struggling for form and that week gave us a kickstart which ended in #54

Or received the £10m+ his talent deserved
Still annoys me we rejected circa £6.5m, which was low anyway. Then proceeded to sell him for £5.5m, as others will point out though it would have made no difference to the club.

A hell of a player - definitely one of the best foreign strikers we've had (although have to say he's just pipped by big mad Prso as my favourite Croatian gers hitman).

A shame we only got the 2 seasons out of him before he moved on but 36 goals in 56 games was a more than decent return, especially when a fair few of them were worldies.

In reality, because if the injury inflicted upon him and the fact he left mid season the following season we really only got a little bit over 12 months from him.

He was an utterly fantastic player. If we had a striker of his all round quality in this side, we'd skoosh league by 20 points.

Big man had it all. Real class act that showed up when we needed him. Always remember that goal against the scum at hampden that trickled in off the post. The scenes!

Great player for us but unfortunately all my memories are over-shadowed by the abomination of a Cold Play song that someone cobbled together on here in his honour! I still shudder now thinking about it.

WTF? :rolleyes:

Fantasic player for us, top drawer. Went down to watch him after he left in the 4-4 game at old trafford, he was on form that day.

Back